Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: I do not like making logbooks.

Re: I do not like making logbooks.
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #61171 by Funhog
Jan 6, 2007 8:18pm
Board
I guess my question is.... How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine? As you can probably tell mine has been gathering dust. :) Or do you do it by hand? Does it matter the thickness?
Sorry these are silly questions!! I would love an excuse to wipe off the dust on my machine. I just don't have a lot of space to keep it out to learn how to use it better. I've always thought the books people use stitching on look so great. Also, one postal I'm in I wouldn't mind using fabric.

Thanks!
CarlsonClimbers (Stitch challenged. :)
Reply to: #60537 by LibraryGrrl
Jan 6, 2007 8:24pm
Board
Logbooks have been delegated to my wife. She is the creative and decorative one. I do the carving and planting. It gets her involved and is a good thing. Saves me from doing them and saves people from basic stapled plain logbooks.
Re: I like making logbooks.
Reply to: #61235 by CarlsonClimbers
Jan 6, 2007 11:03pm
Board
Quote I guess my question is.... How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine?

This is a hand-stitched binding. There's no sewing machine involved. There are a number of different techniques, some using multiple needles. The one I know uses just one but there's no way I could explain the method in words. You'll just have to fly to the PNW and I'll show you how. Alternatively, there are books available that explain various methods. I frequently use fabric on my covers but it is glued on with PVA, not sewn. Check it out. I find it really fun to do. Funhog
Reply to: #61235 by CarlsonClimbers
Jan 6, 2007 11:34pm
Board
Quote How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine? As you can probably tell mine has been gathering dust. :) Or do you do it by hand?

Goggle "coptic stitch book binding" there are lots of online tutitorlials. It is hand sewen not machine so sorry no good reason to dust off the machine.

Check out this message it has several links to book making http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=30120

Mystic dreamer