Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: I do not like making logbooks.

I do not like making logbooks.
Board: Logbook Logistics
Jan 3, 2007 6:44pm
Board
I've just decided. While I like my results, I do not like the process of making logbooks. Bleh.

I still have not seen in a store nor letterbox a store bought logbook that I like as much as a hand made one...so... I'll keep making them for my traditional boxes. For postals, I'm totally using 4x6 cards and plastic photo albums. I saw a really beautiful chocolate journal at Schwartz bookstore that is inspiring me to make a chocolate postal soon...

*excuse my ramblins*
LG.
Re: I do not like making logbooks.
Reply to: #60537 by LibraryGrrl
Jan 3, 2007 6:47pm
Board
I'm with you there - I don't like making them either. I have been using 110 lb. paper that I cut down to size - usually cut into fourths for postal logbooks. To put them together, I usually use the trusty hole punch and binder rings, although I did use ribbon on my last couple. I keep them as simple as possible because I am usually making them at the last minute - I really really don't like doing it! :)

TG
Reply to: #60564 by The Wolf Family
Jan 3, 2007 9:09pm
Board
i love making logbooks for several reasons- it fulfills my quota for artwork when i dont feel like painting, and i use up all the scraps nad other gadgets from around my house to do so.
each logbook i make i try to theme it towards the stamp. i could use the stamp image itself- or go digging in a box and come up with streamers, pages i had ripped out of books and glitter and go wild (ok so i really wouldnt put those togehter but stamps fabric and stickers ive done)
mine maynot look speactaular and extremely fancy but they make me smile and feel good.
and thats what i believe counts..but hey everyone ones not like me cause that would just be creepy

kitten without mittens*now looking over shoulder to see if someones following me*
Jan 3, 2007 10:02pm
Board
I started making logs because I couldn't find them to fit my LnL boxes. I use regular printer paper cut down and folded over. I use poster board for the cover and the simple three hole stitch to bind it. It's not fancy but it works and it fits with out being bent or scrunched.

Shiloh
Reply to: #60623 by shiloh
Jan 4, 2007 1:49am
Board
I love making logbooks.

..but they don't suit my needs as a finder. I'm already carrying so much, um, stuff, that hauling a separate book for recording finds is the straw on the camel's back.

I love stamping my finds on index cards. I get to play with them..I mean, ahem, reorder them periodically in their cases as space changes. However, I'm going to my first gathering (yay!) and decided they would need a book for visiting purposes. JoAnne's had a great photo album for under $5 that will play temporary host for my cards :)
Reply to: #60646 by Ish
Jan 4, 2007 3:32am
Board
When I went to Dartmoor, I used the traditional 4x6 cards. When I got home, I put a narrative about my experience along with the stamps and my photos from the trip in a photo album.

However, here in the US, I use a logbook, which I usually make. However, right now, I'm using the one that Bluebird bought me for my birthday. I usually make coptic stitch logbooks for my postals, however, most times I just don't have the time to make them for my traditional boxes, so I use spiral bound 3x5 cards.

I like making logbooks. Other than stamp carving (however, I need a fantastic image to carve in order to get a good carving), it's the one thing I'm actually semi-artistic at......

Music Woman
Jan 4, 2007 4:20am
Board
Amen. I don't like making them either. I'm in New England, and the harsh New England fall/winter/spring seasons are hard on letterboxes, especially logbooks if the box doesn't get closed properly (even with double bagging inside). It is heartbreaking for me to spend a lot of time to make a beautiful log only to have it 99.9% guaranteed to get wrecked out in the field.

For my outside boxes (of which I think I currently have 50 or so), I use 3X5 wirebound index card decks, cut in half to make 3X2.5 size logs. They tuck into the smaller containers I use much better than trying to bend a 3X5 into the box (which often caused the box to "pop"). The only adornment I do for these logs is to flip them around backwards so that the unruled side of the pages are used, and I paste a nice cover over the blank cardboard.

I do make nice handmade ones for postals and for gatherings, using a variety of methods. I haven't gone so far as to do coptic stitching or anything (I simply don't have the time), but I also use cardstock and a paper punch and a clever binder. For a ski box, I used a carabiner. For a seaside box, I used fishing line and a shell. For a Valentine's box, I used red ribbon and a silk rose. For a location-themed box, I use postcards for the cover and back.

So there. You aren't the only one ;-)

Warrior Woman
Reply to: #60646 by Ish
Jan 4, 2007 6:47am
Board
I'm with you on not carrying a logbook in the field. I usually take several sheets of plain typing paper and a piece of tagboard in a protective liner in my pack for stamping on. Once I get home, I cut the images apart and paste them in our three ring binder style journal. The other advantage to that is that if I get a crumby image the first time, I can just do it over on the blank paper.

I do like making logbooks though. I guess it hadn't occured to me to do a handmade journal instead of the $1.99 white binder from Wal-Mart. ;)
Stacy
Jan 4, 2007 8:00am
Board
Don't feel bad; I buy mine at Michaels from the dollar bin *S*
Jan 4, 2007 9:10am
Board
MMMMMMMMMMM....Chocolate you could sign me up immediately.
Jan 5, 2007 3:08am
Board
Quote I do not like the process of making logbooks. Bleh.

There is a hitch hiker out there with no logbook but instead just two pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 paper folded down into a small square. Easy nuff.
Reply to: #60929 by Rick in Boca
Jan 5, 2007 7:46am
Board
We found one stamp (maybe a HH, don't remember) that had a strip of paper folded accordion style as a log book. Worked well and looked like it was really easy to do. I think it would work especially well for a stamp in a mini box.
Chickadee
Jan 5, 2007 8:33am
Board
I'm from the other camp. I really like making little books. I usually do Japanese five stitch but sometimes a simple coptic stitch binding. Choosing the coverings is my favorite part of the process. I have a couple of boxes out there where the stamp image matches part of the pattern printed on the fabric cover. Those make me feel so darned clever! My pile of decorative papers and fabrics just continues to expand. Every time I think I have enough, a project comes along with another idea of a print I just MUST have to match the theme of the logbook. Funhog
Jan 5, 2007 11:32am
Board
Here, here.

I don't like it either. I find myself spending way too much money on neat little blank books....but like most others I will make a quick one out of paper or index cards tied with ribbon or yarn...simple does it. I enjoy finding clever logbooks, but I do get a complex...then I think...ya know, getting ANY letterbox is fun, clever or not, it's the hunt.....it takes all kinds, too....so I"m learning to "own" my hatred of making logbooks....

dewdrop
Reply to: #60959 by Funhog
Jan 6, 2007 8:03am
Board
Hey Funhog, I have a question that others might also like the answer to. I just made a logbook using the coptic stitch. I'm planning on making a slip on leather cover for it but do I need to glue a cover on the book to help hold it all together?

Thanks in advance.

Shiloh
Reply to: #61140 by shiloh
Jan 6, 2007 2:39pm
Board
The type of coptic stitch book I make has a cover stitched right onto it along with the signatures. I use heavy cardboard or book binding board slightly larger than the pages and cover it with fabric or fancy papers before the stitching begins. In fact, I make the entire cover before I fold and punch the signatures so that the glue has time to dry sufficiently before I work with it. One handy thing I learned about covering the cardboard is to be sure there is fabric/paper glued to both sides to prevent warping. Fun for this piggy! Funhog
Reply to: #60649 by Bungalow Boxer
Jan 6, 2007 4:44pm
Board
i enjoy making logbooks. But then again i am an avid scrapbooker, card maker, recycler, glue gun, glitter queen. :) i get to use up all my junk, i mean treasures on my log books. In fact i found a very useful way of using my cut up credit cards on a log book. It all depends on what kind of artist one is. i'm a "that would be good on a... blank blank blank thingie" kinda artist. Anytime i can use all those ideas i see in scrapbook magazines on something other than a scrapbook page i am all over it. Does that help you look at logbook making differently?
Reply to: #61171 by Funhog
Jan 6, 2007 8:18pm
Board
I guess my question is.... How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine? As you can probably tell mine has been gathering dust. :) Or do you do it by hand? Does it matter the thickness?
Sorry these are silly questions!! I would love an excuse to wipe off the dust on my machine. I just don't have a lot of space to keep it out to learn how to use it better. I've always thought the books people use stitching on look so great. Also, one postal I'm in I wouldn't mind using fabric.

Thanks!
CarlsonClimbers (Stitch challenged. :)
Jan 6, 2007 8:24pm
Board
Logbooks have been delegated to my wife. She is the creative and decorative one. I do the carving and planting. It gets her involved and is a good thing. Saves me from doing them and saves people from basic stapled plain logbooks.
Re: I like making logbooks.
Reply to: #61235 by CarlsonClimbers
Jan 6, 2007 11:03pm
Board
Quote I guess my question is.... How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine?

This is a hand-stitched binding. There's no sewing machine involved. There are a number of different techniques, some using multiple needles. The one I know uses just one but there's no way I could explain the method in words. You'll just have to fly to the PNW and I'll show you how. Alternatively, there are books available that explain various methods. I frequently use fabric on my covers but it is glued on with PVA, not sewn. Check it out. I find it really fun to do. Funhog
Reply to: #61235 by CarlsonClimbers
Jan 6, 2007 11:34pm
Board
Quote How do you make the coptic stitch? Do you this with the sewing machine? As you can probably tell mine has been gathering dust. :) Or do you do it by hand?

Goggle "coptic stitch book binding" there are lots of online tutitorlials. It is hand sewen not machine so sorry no good reason to dust off the machine.

Check out this message it has several links to book making http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=30120

Mystic dreamer