Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Blue Diamond Worthy Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #79936 by Lock Wench
Jun 13, 2007 7:00pm
Thread Board
Are there any of these left??
TIA!
Beach Gal
Re: Just what does your vocabulary say about you?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #99668 by knit wit
Jun 13, 2007 7:02pm
Thread Board
68% Dixie on the standardized test, and 60% Dixie on the advanced test.
Born and raised in Yankeedom. (It wasn't my fault--an accident of birth... :D)

And a lobster isn't nothing more than a (big) mudbug. :p

Connfederate
Reply to: #99818 by Beach Gal
Jun 13, 2007 7:05pm
Thread Board
Are there any of these left??

Give Lock Wench a holler. She's the one with the patches. =)

-- Ryan
Alright! I won
Board: Reading Room
Jun 13, 2007 7:07pm
Thread Board
Yippee, I received notice this morning of winning an autographed review copy of Patricia Bray's latest novel, The Sea Change, due to hit book stores July 31st. I'm totally stoked over it. Usually I don't sign on to email stuff, but I was half way through the first book when I realized that I wanted to know when the second one (this one) is coming out. Then, a few weeks ago, notice of that lottery style contest hit the email box, I entered...and I won! Yay!

It was either post here or the Look At Me board, so here I am!
Re: Power of Observation
Board: Cool Site of the Day
Reply to: #99795 by Sprite and Highlander
Jun 13, 2007 7:08pm
Thread Board
You're not alone, Sprite. I don't see anything (mac) and I listened to the sound for 3 minutes (not 20, CQ) - Then I clicked on the grey matter and nothing! I am too tired to understand. I typed in 'old black jack' at snopes and didn't see anything right away. I'm guessing this is a joke. I don't feel like being scared out of my wits before bedtime, but the hypnotic music sure sounded about right for bedtime.
Reply to: #99796 by gollygee
Jun 13, 2007 7:10pm
Thread Board
If it doesn't work, you probably don't have Flash Player installed...

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW
Reply to: #99813 by Warm Front
Jun 13, 2007 7:17pm
Thread Board
Quote I've always thought a yankee was anyone born north of I-10

Unless you are referring to AL/MS/LA, the south STOPS at the Georgia state line. Florida is just SouthYankeeville.
Re: Tybee Island, GA
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #99804 by Kiwi Nomad
Jun 13, 2007 7:17pm
Thread Board
Quote Just like there is more than one site for letterboxes there is more than one site for geocaching.

Uhhhh, no, there isn't, really. There are some other sites that list the same hides using a different format, and there is Terracaching.com, which lists about two hides per state, I think, it's probably going to go away due to lack of interest. Quite unlike letterboxing which has two major websites, geocaching only has one major website plus a lot of wannabes.

Quote From the quick scan I have made of this thread the problem was the container looked like a bomb (and was in a stupid location).

They all look like bombs; heck, a bunch of battery-operated flashing cartoon signs in Boston caused a major ruckus, clearly it doesn't really matter what they look like. And that one operated successfully for two years, so there's little cause to describe the location as stupid. In hindsight, yeah, the guy could have labelled it better, but there are a dreadful lot of geocaches and letterboxes out there that aren't labelled any better.
Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys
Reply to: #99816 by Green Tortuga
Jun 13, 2007 7:18pm
Thread Board
Quote Hey guys, let's play nice. It might be better to hash this out privately than on a public message board.

It's all good. We did hash it out and it turns out we were both mostly right. No worries.
Re: Geocache with a stamp inside: Letterbox or not a letterb
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #99810 by Kiwi Nomad
Jun 13, 2007 7:21pm
Thread Board
Quote You get a feel after a while of where I cache could/would be hidden.

That's called "geomojo". I recently discovered that a well-developed sense of geomojo in Florida doesn't really help all that much in New Hampshire, you have to relearn from scratch. The hides are a bit different because the terrain is different and the locals develop hiding styles that work well in their area.
Happy Hopper
Board: State: Florida
Jun 13, 2007 7:22pm
Thread Board
I am happy to tell you that reports of the demise of this box in Lake Louise State Park are greatly exagerated. He is sitting there waiting to be found.

=) Wild Rose (of PBandJ)
Reply to: #99822 by speedsquare
Jun 13, 2007 7:29pm
Thread Board
It is not a joke. I took the test and it worked. There may be something with the language it uses that your browser doesn't like...

Mr. Yuk
Re: donation box
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #99812 by CathCainGwen
Jun 13, 2007 7:30pm
Thread Board
It probably won't be me....I have to schedule my letterboxing lately....but I'm almost to 100!!! yeah

Karensport
Re: New to this board
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #99758 by GodsWalk
Jun 13, 2007 7:35pm
Thread Board
Welcome! We've been at it for just a month now and you've already almost caught up to our 15! We are in Eastern CT with a 5 yo son. He isn't always in the mood to "box" so and we both work in public schools so life has been a little hectic so we haven't gotten out much. I have planted three out here though and I'm working on more. Now if I can get the little guy past the "this is boring" stage I'm all set.
Reply to: #99820 by Green Tortuga
Jun 13, 2007 7:36pm
Thread Board
Will do! Thanks!
Re: Power of Obeservation
Reply to: #99807 by Green Tortuga
Jun 13, 2007 7:38pm
Thread Board
Quote My favorite story about hearing someone fall for that was while at work, in their cube. Everyone is working silently, then AAHHHHH!!!!

Yep, we did that to our boss at work! She screamed so loud the other side of the building heard her-- man, that was funny!
Reply to: #99737 by KuKu
Jun 13, 2007 7:40pm
Thread Board
Quote The thing is, I don't ever remember seeing tiny lobsters that crawl around in creek bottoms, so I have no idea what they're called!

In my little corner of northern applachia they were crawldads. They did crawl around the creek bottoms, after all.

A.
Re: Indiana Letterboxer in Florida
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #99815 by The Toadfrogs
Jun 13, 2007 7:45pm
Thread Board
Quote On a couple of trails in residential areas, we saw two different traps. Large traps! Like about 3' high and 5' long. They didn't look like they'd been used in a while, but they still had me wondering. Possibly for black bears?

Possibly for wild hogs. Some people trap them, feed them corn for a couple of months, then have them for dinner. The corn feeding helps rid the meat of the "gamey" flavor.

Quote Also, along some of the same trails were these large black sticky balls hanging from trees.

That's a new one on me.

Quote We finally figured out those annoying little bugs plastered all over the front of my car are love bugs...

And you'd better wash the car promptly. Love bugs are acidic little buggers, their squished bodies will eat through your paint if left there long.

If you have a can of Raid and spray a pair of love bugs in flight, typically they'll lose about two feet of altitude and keep right on going. Their only natural enemy is the windshield.

Quote ...and that wherever there's water, there may be gators.

True enough, but gators aren't really much to worry about. They don't bother people. If you've got a little toy poodle on the trail with you, though, you might want to keep him on a short leash.

Quote I still don't know why your squirrels are about a third the size of our squirrels.

Not just squirrels; deer, too. Apparently larger critters don't take heat too well, so the farther south you go the smaller they get.

Quote Yours are a lot friendlier too. Crazy little things come right up to you.

That's only true in parks where they have been hand-fed by the locals. In other places they're as skittish as anywhere.

If you decide to feed them, take note: They're farsighted, cannot see anything closer than about six inches. When they get closer than that, they find things by smell. So if you've been eating nuts and you hold out a nut for a squirrel, he's as likely to bite your finger as to bite the nut. Your fingers smell like nuts! He's not being mean, he just can't see what he's biting. Better to set the nut down and let him find it for himself.

Quote Oh, and those little lizards EVERYWHERE freaked me out.

The small ones are what some people call salamanders, others call chameleons. Their color will change from green to brown to match what they're sitting on -- but it doesn't change very fast, you have to sit and watch it a while.

OTOH, there's a larger lizard we call a skink. They are really ugly, usually have some reddish to them.

Either lizard is perfectly harmless.

There is a third, small lizard that is dark blue and black striped lengthwise. These guys are poisonous. They're not poisonous when they bite you, they're poisonous when you eat them. Don't let your kitty eat one!
More Blackness
Jun 13, 2007 7:56pm
Board
I've done it again - I grabbed an audio book for casual listening on the commute to/from work, and ended up with one that was far from casual. The book is Straight into Darkness by Faye Kellerman. It's your typical serial killer plot, except that it takes place in 1923-34 in Munich. I'm not strong on history, so I'm not sure about the historical accuracy, but her description of the disintegration of society, institutions, and the individuals therein as Hitler and his thugs began their move into power was terrifying.

This is another book that will haunt you long after you read the last page. I think I'll switch to learning a foreign language on my commute.

It's a good read, if you don't mind the depression.

Artemis
Re: Yikes! Chevy Suburban "Letterboxing" ad!
Board: Letterboxing In the News
Reply to: #99705 by Green Tortuga
Jun 13, 2007 7:58pm
Thread Board
As if anyone who actually letterboxes is going to do a stamp like their ad suggests. ACK! I'm glad to know Atlasquest didn't sell out to Disney and Chevy.
Reply to: #99724 by Green Tortuga
Jun 13, 2007 8:03pm
Thread Board
Ryan said:
38% Dixie.

WOW! I'm shocked. I've lived in the Atlanta area for 3/4 of my life and I'm only 28% Dixie on both the first and the advanced tests! I guess I have not adopted a lot of the southernisms. This must be why people always tell me I don't sound like I'm from Atlanta......

Very interesting!
Amyrica
Reply to: #99751 by mstrwndl
Jun 13, 2007 8:11pm
Thread Board
That might make some sense, 'cause it thought the same about me, Bro!
Re: "Evil" Hippie Music (was Grateful Dead Patches)
Board: Musical Musings
Reply to: #99746 by mstrwndl
Jun 13, 2007 8:11pm
Thread Board
Quote I think the more I notice the hair on my head becoming the hair on my back the more I understand that I will always be a Deadhead deep down,
Ah, the Gravity Hair problem. Quite common!
Quote , but the long jams don't go as good with Metamucil, and Geritol as they did with blotter, and windowpane.
Geritol and Jam? Best stick with the Peanut Butter and Jam. Much better!
Quote Grisman did a project with Mike Marshall and Sam Bush, featuring the Moscow Mandolin Orchestra. It was called "Mando Magnificat". You should check into it. Grisman and Bush did some slide blues on the mandolins that was truely to cry over.
This I will check out ASAP! Thanks for the advice. :o)
Quote As for the JGB, Melvin Seals is a master. He and Garcia were a perfect match. "Stop That Train" was a great cut, but their version of "Tangled Up In Blues" is smokin.
AGREED! Nice combo. Merl Saunders wasn't too shabby either! :o)

TMP6&7/8
Re: Hairy Tale
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #99759 by Tdyans
Jun 13, 2007 8:28pm
Thread Board
The stylist doing the cutting kept showing me how long 10 inches was and asking "Are you sure?"

Mine kept doing the same thing. Even after I had assured her multiple times that it was alright. Then when she was doing the styling after the cut, she kept clearing everything with me too. I just wanted a blunt cut all the same length - how hard is that? Sheesh! Be like Nike - Just do it! :) She was very nice, though.

Now everyone is asking me "Is this the shortest you have ever had your hair?" Nope! My mom would never let me have long hair as a kid, so it was always very short. Then she got me a perm in second grade - I looked like Little Orphan Annie without red hair! Kept getting my hair permed until I was in college though. Of course, that is when I had to start paying for it!

TG
The 3 'R's:
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Jun 13, 2007 8:36pm
Board
The Three Rs Recycle, Reuse, Reduce....Letterboxes are back in action...
Planting them tomorrow morning...06-14-07...Thanks for your patience...
The clues will change, but very little... Good Luck, and Happy Hunting
FreeBird
Reply to: #99797 by Sprite and Highlander
Jun 13, 2007 8:37pm
Thread Board
an insult?

really?
hick and rebel are totally different...
when you have been into confederate genealogy and such most yur life...
rebel is definitely not an insult. ;)
Re: Hairy Tale
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #99487 by Trekkie Gal
Jun 13, 2007 8:38pm
Thread Board
Good for you.
Cleo of the Outdoor Girls would love a Locks of Love PLB. She just donated 10 more inches for a whopping total of 38 inches so far. She has it cut every two years. It is amazing that she grows 10 inches of hair every two years!
I applaud Locks of Love for their compassion to help children get through cancer and feel good about it.
Outdoor Girls
Re: New ring: A Treasure's Trove
Board: Postals
Reply to: #97580 by The Royal Fish
Jun 13, 2007 8:38pm
Thread Board
I loved this book! Not only was the story utterly charming in it's own right, but the added excitement of trying to find one of the hidden treasures made it downright irresistible. Of course I didn't come close to finding any of the treasures (heck, I can't even solve most of Dewberry's puzzles boxes!), but it sure was fun trying.

Looking forward to joining!

SandiBox

PS - Have you seen the sequel "The Alchemist Dar"?
Please Go find The Amherst Museum
Board: State: New York
Jun 13, 2007 8:40pm
Thread Board
This is a cry for help. Someone please find the Amherst Museum box it has come all the way from AZ and has not yeilded a single find!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This box is in desperate need of a finder...Maybe two or even three...So look up the clue and find this poor box! \

Do it now!!

That is all

Papa Phoenix
Reply to: #99800 by knit wit
Jun 13, 2007 8:44pm
Thread Board
Actually, you're right. From a Southern point of view, a Northerner is just that--someone from the North. No value judgement implied. A Yankee is a bit on the rude side. One of those folks who moves down south and proceeds to tell everyone how it was all done better "back up North". A Damnyankee is not allowed to associate with your children at all. ;-)

well...yes...this is true.
now that Knit wit puts it that way...
I can't deny that a damn yankee or just Yank for that matter is USUALLY said when you don't agree with or take a likin' to the particular northerner in question. However, there is a family lives near me...i like them fine...good folks...but when we are in conversation as to why they are "the way they are" all we really gotta say is "their Yankees". that gets a knowing nod from who ever the "local" is you were chatting with ;)

absolutely no harm or dislike meant