A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Making my own letter box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #985512 by Wry Me
Apr 7, 2020 4:29pm
Thread Board
Oh, I see. Makes sense. Darn spell checker. ;^)
Re: Isaac Asimov - _The Naked Sun_
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #985531 by Kelsung
Apr 7, 2020 5:23pm
Thread Board
Among the free audio books and radio dramatizations on YouTube there are some things by him. Ray Bradbury also. The dramatizations are especially interesting to listen to.
Re: Bandaid
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #985529 by sojourner
Apr 7, 2020 5:39pm
Thread Board
how old was she
AQversary to Dancing Dolphins
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Apr 7, 2020 5:49pm
Thread Board
Happy, happy Cake Day to the Dancing Dolphins family, from your Grandma LaLaBirds! Thanks so much for joining & boxing with me—awesome memories! Congrats on your Blue Diamond too!
people be safe
Apr 7, 2020 6:04pm
Thread Board
went back to work today after 5 days off. It is bad out there. please stay home as much as you can and wear a mask when out. We are now seeing younger people who are really sick. many people now have few or no symptoms. I think the next couple of weeks are going to be tough. work in a small hospital. we are running low on PPE. I might be wearing garbage bags to work soon. On my days off I hiked and letterboxed as much as I could. Thanks to Sherlocke for accompanying me. Thanks to Rocklun for forcing me to hike much further than I wanted or was capable of. The things that are real are family friends and letterboxing. I know I am rambling but... this is real
Re: AQversary to Dancing Dolphins
Reply to: #985536 by LaLaBirds
Apr 7, 2020 6:31pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the AQversary wishes! We treasure our hikes and enjoy creating so many memories! :)
Re: Anniversary
Reply to: #985504 by Cross Family
Apr 7, 2020 6:34pm
Thread Board
Thank you so much for the AQversary wishes today; it put a smile to our faces! :) We hope you stay safe too and enjoy many more days of letterboxing in 2020!
Reply to: #985535 by burning feet
Apr 7, 2020 6:34pm
Thread Board
She was an older woman. I don’t believe anyone knows why she passed away at this point. I’m pretty sure she hadn’t worked as a nurse since she hurt her back.
Reply to: #985540 by MissMoon
Apr 7, 2020 6:36pm
Thread Board
I am sad
Re: Plant A Beer Day 2020!
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #982279 by Johnsosaurus
Apr 7, 2020 6:41pm
Thread Board
Happy Plant a Beer Day 2020, everyone! I hope you're cozying up to a cold brew at home in celebration of the day. If you haven't planted a box, don't worry, there is still time. I realize due to our ever-changing world that many breweries (and planting locations) are not accessible to us right now but take your extra time at home to carve some more stamps, enjoy a beer and make plans to plant brewery boxes.
Reply to: #985538 by Dancing Dolphins
Apr 7, 2020 7:01pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day!

You'll like finding my Dancing Dolphins letterbox, if you ever get by northern Utah.
Reply to: #985543 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 7, 2020 7:03pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the AQversary wishes! I will definitely keep that box in mind if we ever get out to Utah!:) It sounds like fun!
Reply to: #985509 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 7, 2020 8:47pm
Thread Board
Didn’t know them but still so sorry to hear. ☹️
Re: people be safe
Reply to: #985537 by burning feet
Apr 7, 2020 9:15pm
Thread Board
Your hospital still has PPE’s? Lucky. We have to reuse ours and had to sign for them saying we got them. I have been lucky in that my husband bought a big box of N95’s before this whole thing started because we were going to do some painting projects. The projects are on hold and we are using them at the hospital. Crazy times
Re: Personal Logbook
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #985491 by pixelteer425
Apr 7, 2020 9:17pm
Thread Board
These are all really good suggestions, thanks guys! Glad to see the boards are still really active, I was afraid they might be a bit slow or dead
Apr 7, 2020 9:27pm
Thread Board
Such sad news during these sad times. I did get to meet her when I ventured to Maine last winter and she was so friendly and fun to talk to.
Love and prayers to her family.
Apr 8, 2020 12:30am
Thread Board
Sad indeed. I have many fond memories of Nancy and Rich with their ever present dog. RIP.
Re: I designed a puzzle hunt / alternate reality game!
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #985517 by MissMoon
Apr 8, 2020 1:17am
Thread Board
And to think one of your parents used to bring you to events because you were too young to drive!

Now look at ya!

Now look at me, still not driving to events... because there aren't any... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the memories!

~µ[sic] (formerly Magical Music Man back when he couldn't drive to events himself!)
Bingo word - April 8
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Apr 8, 2020 4:16am
Board
This gathering is casual
The crowd will be small
There may be a few boxes,
But you won’t get a haul

A chance to welcome a visitor
Who’s passing through town,
Exchange siggy stamps
And toss travelers around

N - Mini meet
Reply to: #985549 by Rubaduc
Apr 8, 2020 4:25am
Thread Board
She hosted the first event my brother Dino Don and I ever attended starting out letterboxing. Managed to save her Mark Twain library stamp before it got paved over by parking lot expansion
Apr 8, 2020 4:27am
Thread Board
Thanks to Rocklun for forcing me to hike much further than I wanted or was capable of.

You're welcome?

Seriously, best of luck at work! Medical workers are true heroes. My nephew works in the kitchen at a local hospital, and part of his job includes delivering meals to patients in their rooms. I worry about him every day.
Re: Red Dwarf: Dave
Reply to: #985513 by Wry Me
Apr 8, 2020 6:08am
Thread Board
Preparation H. Dresses where the sun don't shine.

not quite
Reply to: #985535 by burning feet
Apr 8, 2020 6:19am
Thread Board
60's? She had really slowed down in recent years since her back injury, used a walker. Lately, I couldn't always understand her on the phone when I talked with her from FL. I wonder if she had some underlying illness that she never talked about. She was the resident nurse at every large gathering, since she (and her husband/noxer Rich) could no longer hike due to her back injury.

I remember multiple gatherings (including L&BXV and the NY Bed and Boxing) where they've had to dig ticks out of me in places where I could not reach or see (thankfully nowhere private if you get my meaning). It got to be such the norm that I bought them a fancy set of tweezers as a thank you!

I even brought them oranges from FL when I went to LL Bean in 2019. I love them so much!

BB
Reply to: #985556 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 8, 2020 6:41am
Thread Board
Another early boxing memory, before I discovered atlasquest and did all my early clues off if lbna and Bandaids boxes were some of my first finds. I had found her Writing Angel box in a Fairfield cemetery, she insisted I was wrong since the cemetery no longer wanted boxes there and she pulled it. Seems it had gone missing once and she recarved and planted the box, and I found the original that was supposed to have gone missing, and thus was the first stamp I retrieved and returned to her.
Re: Girl Scout Bronze Award Project
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #985523 by Three FLAmigo's
Apr 8, 2020 6:44am
Thread Board
Hi Three FLAmigo's!

Those are great suggestions.

And I would also caution against duct tape pouches with Girl Scouts. I tried them out up here in CT and found that they were too hard for the girls to close properly - they are usually too much in a hurry to get the next box and you really have to double check the seal before you put them back.

And thanks for the reminder of the Letterboxing101 pdf - that helps with the question I had a few days ago!

LL
Re: Red Green - was: Red Dwarf: Dave
Reply to: #985460 by Grrly Girl
Apr 8, 2020 7:06am
Thread Board
One of our favorite trips we took with my daughter was to a taping of the show in their 2nd to last season. So much fun to be in the audience! And Star Dad made it into the episode as one of the lodge members at the meeting they hold at the end of the show.
Re: Girl Scout Bronze Award Project
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #985558 by Lowland Lass
Apr 8, 2020 7:17am
Thread Board
So that's a big fat no to the duct tape pouches?
Hahahaha!
Actually what a relief, they really are awful.
Except for Safaris Mans pouches, he made the kind that didn't use a zipper but still eventually they would get wet inside.
I don't know why but I thought there might be a Duct Tape Badge for the scouts to earn and this would of been a get them with 2 stones project?
No matter, I'm totally happy to be wrong and to keep those planters pouches out of the wild!
Re: Red Dwarf: Dave
Reply to: #985440 by MissMoon
Apr 8, 2020 8:02am
Thread Board
There’s some MST3K on YouTube also.

I know everyone has their faves but for me Time Of The Apes is the best (the original version):

https://youtu.be/Ql61L4TgQg8
Apr 8, 2020 8:15am
Thread Board
Yeah - Connecticut seems to be running 2 weeks or so behind NY/NJ

HUGS TO ALL MY LB FRIENDS
Re: Anniversary
Reply to: #985539 by Dancing Dolphins
Apr 8, 2020 8:32am
Thread Board
Yikes! I missed it! Happy AQversary, a day late, DDs!