A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Bandaid
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #985518 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 7, 2020 10:57am
Thread Board
That’s ok. Thank you for letting people know.
Re: Stamp help for my first event
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #985399 by Basset Mom
Apr 7, 2020 12:37pm
Thread Board
Where will your event be? I have a bunch of dog themed stamps from an event held years ago in DE. Most of the people who attended were local PA , NJ and DE locals so if you are not close they would be”new” stamps for your event.
MizScarlet.
Re: Girl Scout Bronze Award Project
Reply to: #985503 by The Faderjockey
Apr 7, 2020 12:43pm
Thread Board
Back when I worked for our County Parks & Recreation I used to do Letterboxing 101 classes for our camps.

Sojourner created this printable brochure titled "Letterboxing 101: Basic Letterbox Etiquette and Definitions" that you and your scouts might find helpful. It was very helpful when we were introducing Letterboxing to newbies. Here is a link to that pdf:

http://www.letterboxing.org/GettingStarted/Letterboxing101.pdf

Is it possible for you to take your scouts out to find some actual Letterboxes? Or if not could you place a few stamps for them to find in an approved area?

Carving stamps can be very exciting but truth be told, it would be an even better experience if they had a basic foundation of what Letterboxing really is as there is so much more to it than just carving a stamp. In our camps we would spend a full 1-2 hours alone creating simple but really sweet logbooks from cardstock and embroidery thread! And the boxes? I'm no fan of the duct tape pouches, especially in Florida but if you are looking for inexpensive boxes for your stamps you could spend another couple of hours creating duct tape pouches.

Super excited for you, and hoping that one day soon we will be able to find some of your scouts L'boxes in the wild!
Reply to: #985522 by Mizscarlet
Apr 7, 2020 1:04pm
Thread Board
I'm in central Maine.
Re: Containing Small Stamps
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #985506 by Dawgdok
Apr 7, 2020 1:31pm
Thread Board
...the majority of boxes I find are NOT replaced properly.

To that end, choices can be made to help minimize the problem. First of all, it helps to choose containers that are easy to open and close securely. Lock 'N Locks are great except that it's possible to install the lid upside down. My preference, screw-top containers, are tough for some with arthritis. Planter's pouches made by duct-taping a Ziploc bag are #$%^ *miserable* to get closed properly -- but the type Safari Man used that didn't involve a Ziploc were pretty easy.

Another thing we can do is avoid cramming the container too full. Some boxers seem to feel that any container larger than a deck of cards is simply too big to hide, and shop around trying to buy those tiny containers. And then someone tries to drop off a HH that's the size of a compact Japanese car. Start using containers that are large enough the finder can pretty much just drop the log book and stamp in and close it up, and then learn how to hide such containers. It's not difficult, it just takes a different mindset.
Re: Girl Scout Bronze Award Project
Reply to: #985523 by Three FLAmigo's
Apr 7, 2020 1:40pm
Thread Board
if you are looking for inexpensive boxes for your stamps you could spend another couple of hours creating duct tape pouches.

Please don't teach them how to make planter's pouches. Spend that time teaching them how to cut shower pan liner gaskets for screw-top jars instead, and painting them.
Reply to: #985524 by Basset Mom
Apr 7, 2020 1:47pm
Thread Board
I could send you some pics of them and if you are interested they are yours. If you are in Maine I don’t think an of the people who came to my event would be at yours.
Re: Personal Logbook
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #985491 by pixelteer425
Apr 7, 2020 2:31pm
Thread Board
Any pitfalls or traps I should avoid?

As you see everybody likes different things in a logbook for different reasons.

The things I would add is don’t get a fancy logbook with handmade paper. That paper is always too soft and porous.

And you don’t have to spend a lot of money
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #985509 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 7, 2020 3:23pm
Thread Board
Oh my goodness! What a shock to read your post, Pam.....Thank you for letting us know.
s.
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #985511 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 7, 2020 3:35pm
Thread Board
I never had the pleasure of meeting Bandaid, but we traded LTC's and I always loved her cards. Prayers for her family.
Re: Isaac Asimov - _The Naked Sun_
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #985052 by coldsnap
Apr 7, 2020 4:24pm
Thread Board
That's because the original trilogy is a collection of short stories written and published in "Astounding" magazine over the course of the 1940s, made into a trilogy by the publishers in the 50s. Those stories only got through the first few hundred years of the millennium Hari Seldon predicted.

So in 1982 he finally wrote Foundation's Edge, which picks up at the 500 year mark, followed by Foundation And Earth, that immediately follows with the same characters. The ending of that fifth book manages to tie all of Asimov's writings together into one shared universe. As a fan, it was amazing for me!

Then you get the prequels, Prelude To Foundation and Forward The Foundation. Trust me, if the first novel's generation-hopping quick-pace with little follow-through put you off, you've only scratched the surface. The later novels really tell the big-picture epic that he was only hinting at in the fun short stories.
Re: Making my own letter box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #985502 by Grrly Girl
Apr 7, 2020 4:28pm
Thread Board
Oh, I see. Like I say, I live a sheltered life. Thank you !

I think I don't like that kind of swag. ;^)
Re: Making my own letter box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #985512 by Wry Me
Apr 7, 2020 4:29pm
Thread Board
Oh, I see. Makes sense. Darn spell checker. ;^)
Re: Isaac Asimov - _The Naked Sun_
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #985531 by Kelsung
Apr 7, 2020 5:23pm
Thread Board
Among the free audio books and radio dramatizations on YouTube there are some things by him. Ray Bradbury also. The dramatizations are especially interesting to listen to.
Reply to: #985529 by sojourner
Apr 7, 2020 5:39pm
Thread Board
how old was she
AQversary to Dancing Dolphins
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Apr 7, 2020 5:49pm
Thread Board
Happy, happy Cake Day to the Dancing Dolphins family, from your Grandma LaLaBirds! Thanks so much for joining & boxing with me—awesome memories! Congrats on your Blue Diamond too!
people be safe
Apr 7, 2020 6:04pm
Thread Board
went back to work today after 5 days off. It is bad out there. please stay home as much as you can and wear a mask when out. We are now seeing younger people who are really sick. many people now have few or no symptoms. I think the next couple of weeks are going to be tough. work in a small hospital. we are running low on PPE. I might be wearing garbage bags to work soon. On my days off I hiked and letterboxed as much as I could. Thanks to Sherlocke for accompanying me. Thanks to Rocklun for forcing me to hike much further than I wanted or was capable of. The things that are real are family friends and letterboxing. I know I am rambling but... this is real
Re: AQversary to Dancing Dolphins
Reply to: #985536 by LaLaBirds
Apr 7, 2020 6:31pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the AQversary wishes! We treasure our hikes and enjoy creating so many memories! :)
Re: Anniversary
Reply to: #985504 by Cross Family
Apr 7, 2020 6:34pm
Thread Board
Thank you so much for the AQversary wishes today; it put a smile to our faces! :) We hope you stay safe too and enjoy many more days of letterboxing in 2020!
Reply to: #985535 by burning feet
Apr 7, 2020 6:34pm
Thread Board
She was an older woman. I don’t believe anyone knows why she passed away at this point. I’m pretty sure she hadn’t worked as a nurse since she hurt her back.
Reply to: #985540 by MissMoon
Apr 7, 2020 6:36pm
Thread Board
I am sad
Re: Plant A Beer Day 2020!
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #982279 by Johnsosaurus
Apr 7, 2020 6:41pm
Thread Board
Happy Plant a Beer Day 2020, everyone! I hope you're cozying up to a cold brew at home in celebration of the day. If you haven't planted a box, don't worry, there is still time. I realize due to our ever-changing world that many breweries (and planting locations) are not accessible to us right now but take your extra time at home to carve some more stamps, enjoy a beer and make plans to plant brewery boxes.
Reply to: #985538 by Dancing Dolphins
Apr 7, 2020 7:01pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day!

You'll like finding my Dancing Dolphins letterbox, if you ever get by northern Utah.
Reply to: #985543 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 7, 2020 7:03pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the AQversary wishes! I will definitely keep that box in mind if we ever get out to Utah!:) It sounds like fun!
Apr 7, 2020 8:47pm
Thread Board
Didn’t know them but still so sorry to hear. ☹️
Re: people be safe
Reply to: #985537 by burning feet
Apr 7, 2020 9:15pm
Thread Board
Your hospital still has PPE’s? Lucky. We have to reuse ours and had to sign for them saying we got them. I have been lucky in that my husband bought a big box of N95’s before this whole thing started because we were going to do some painting projects. The projects are on hold and we are using them at the hospital. Crazy times
Re: Personal Logbook
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #985491 by pixelteer425
Apr 7, 2020 9:17pm
Thread Board
These are all really good suggestions, thanks guys! Glad to see the boards are still really active, I was afraid they might be a bit slow or dead
Apr 7, 2020 9:27pm
Thread Board
Such sad news during these sad times. I did get to meet her when I ventured to Maine last winter and she was so friendly and fun to talk to.
Love and prayers to her family.
Apr 8, 2020 12:30am
Thread Board
Sad indeed. I have many fond memories of Nancy and Rich with their ever present dog. RIP.
Re: I designed a puzzle hunt / alternate reality game!
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #985517 by MissMoon
Apr 8, 2020 1:17am
Thread Board
And to think one of your parents used to bring you to events because you were too young to drive!

Now look at ya!

Now look at me, still not driving to events... because there aren't any... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the memories!

~µ[sic] (formerly Magical Music Man back when he couldn't drive to events himself!)