A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Now might just be the time...
Board: Toad Hollow Friends
Reply to: #985343 by mudflinginfools
Apr 4, 2020 5:17am
Thread Board
OH! I honestly do d not know that, mud. I am actually not sure how Long wound up in this group. Also, it seems like an excellent idea. Will you pleaselease tell me more about this group so that I can participate properly? How would I know people's addresses? Thank you for enlightening me a bit. 🙂

Also, I deleted my other two posts in this thread so as not to have anybody else see them because of what you just told me.
Reply to: #985344 by RDHG
Apr 4, 2020 6:27am
Thread Board
You honestly didn't need to delete anything. Many moons ago this group was created because a peer was going through a rough patch. Someone (I don't remember who) started this group. I adopted it after they stepped out of boxing...

The purpose was and still is - to spread hope, love, support and inspiration to those whom might need words of encouragement in times of distress. Generally - someone in the group knows of a specific person who needs encouragement and they share the information (what they can for privacy reasons about their situation) and their mailing address and the group sends out cards to fill their mailbox with positivity.

Now - with so many people suffering from Covid-19, be it from loosing their job, getting tested positive, being afraid to leave their house... whatever. I thought it might be a good time to dust off this group - have people look into their own stash of addresses (we all have them...) and send out random cards to folks who might need just something positive in their day.

With public spaces, parks, some trails systems becoming closed or over run by folks who normally never use them - our community is feeling like we can't get to where we would normally go... maybe these cards can bring a moment of inky joy - or just a card with a heartfelt message - that will bring someone some joy.

As always - if anyone knows of anyone really struggling for any reason - let this group know and we will rally to fill their mailboxes with positivity.
Old Maplines Clues
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 4, 2020 6:44am
Thread Board
Hi all,

Does anybody have a source for any of the old clues by The Maplines? Most of their listings on AQ state to e-mail them for the clues, which I have tried to do a few times over the years without a response. It seems as though they haven't been active in quite a while, but I suspect that some of their boxes are still out there. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Nairon
Reply to: #985345 by mudflinginfools
Apr 4, 2020 6:50am
Thread Board
You're right and very well and kindly said. I think I lost a bit of track of the purpose of this particular group as well. Yep, it was listed and yep, I did join this one. And yep, the hey, just sending it will happen too :)
Re: I don't know who needs this but . . .
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #985340 by Topcollector
Apr 4, 2020 7:00am
Thread Board
My Aunt hadn't been able to visit him in the hospital for the last 3 weeks. The hospital wouldn't let anyone in for they last few weeks. It is so sad..
Re: Mystery Postal #422 is now CLOSED and clue explanation
Board: Postals
Reply to: #985339 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 4, 2020 7:19am
Thread Board
Maybe this will be over by the time we get the postal. We can only hope! I'll be in touch later, OK? Stay safe.
Re: Old Maplines Clues
Reply to: #985346 by Nairon
Apr 4, 2020 7:55am
Thread Board
Perhaps you could check with WWW, Chuck Straub at http://www.chuckstraub.com/ContactMe.htm

or PineTree...
Re: Bumper Stickers!
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #985232 by wassamatta u
Apr 4, 2020 8:08am
Thread Board
Cool! I didn't notice that other CafePress option!
Reply to: #985349 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 4, 2020 8:40am
Thread Board
You can drop it off/pick it up like ransom money in those TV dramas
(>.<)
On the other hand...
Reply to: #985314 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 4, 2020 8:54am
Thread Board
Sorry, I’m not going that way. I’m avoiding the hysteria and panic-mongering. There’s more than enough of that on the news.

Yes, there are some heartbreakingly sad stories in this thread and of course my heart goes out to the folks affected. But regarding the Corona virus in general, it’s just another factor in life’s daily bereavements. Consider, on average 2,719,980 people die every year in the US alone. That’s 7,452 people A DAY. In other words, A person dies in the US approximately every 12 seconds! Worldwide of course there is even more. I’ll spare you the calculations but, worldwide, 2 people die every second, not counting Caronavirus.

So by the time you finish reading this post, 180 people will have died that were alive when you started reading.

Discounting Covid19, in the “regular” flu season this year so far 32 million Americans have come down with it and 18,000 people have died. 100s of thousands more worldwide.

But it’s always been this way. It’s life and it’s the natural order of things. Covid19 is dangerous. There is no vaccine and no cure but if we all practice safe interactions we will get through this as a nation and as a world. Life and the planet will go on as it always has. So instead of spending your time watching the handwringing on the news, read and watch how-to videos on mask making and hand washing and social distancing.

Except for staying in as ordered, I’m trying to live my life as normally as possible. I’m not hoarding or stocking up on toilet paper or bottled water (do people think the virus will stop their tap?). Yes, all of this sucks but I’m staying positive and making the best of it by reading poetry and making art now that I have the time.

And here’s one more statistic for all you Chicken Little’s before you start stuffing yourself with Twinkies:
The annual number of deaths worldwide from cardiovascular disease is almost 18 million! just sayin… :~)
Reply to: #985352 by JampersandJ
Apr 4, 2020 8:57am
Thread Board

That is almost what we do. We meet in a parking lot and pass off the package.

We're last on the list so it will (hopefully) be safe by then.
Reply to: #985343 by mudflinginfools
Apr 4, 2020 9:08am
Thread Board
I didn't know about this group or the purpose of it. It makes total sense and due to the response of the tracker, I've decided to delete the tracker.
Reply to: #985355 by shutterbug2012
Apr 4, 2020 9:25am
Thread Board
Again... that wasn't necessary. Not everyone needs relief from this crisis in the same way. Trackers do help share the art and relieve the burden.

I just wanted to remind folks of the purpose of this group... other ideas that spring from it are welcome. :) We are all in this together.
Re: On the other hand...
Reply to: #985353 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 4, 2020 9:56am
Thread Board
The annual number of deaths worldwide from cardiovascular disease is almost 18 million!

I blame the chicken nuggets. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Apr 4, 2020 10:57am
Thread Board
And here’s one more statistic for all you Chicken Little’s before you start stuffing yourself with Twinkies:

I don't think being rude to people, especially me, makes you special. In fact, it makes you crass. #totallyNOTsorry.

csk
Just an idea
Board: Random Acts of AQ Kindness
Apr 4, 2020 11:05am
Thread Board
So I'm driving around the state doing drive bys so I can easily social distance and not encounter snakes, and every time I passed a fire department or hospital or ambulance, I wish I had chalk with me. I want to stop at each and every one of them and draw a heart and thank you note on their driveway. So if you have any chalk throw it in your car and use it whenever your motivated to
Apr 4, 2020 11:27am
Thread Board
Discounting Covid19, in the “regular” flu season this year so far 32 million Americans have come down with it and 18,000 people have died. 100s of thousands more world

That’s similar to what I said to people back when it was 12,000 Americans that had died from the flu this season. Thousands die from the flu in this country EVERY single year and no one starts hoarding supplies. Most people don’t know or care.

And I keep wondering how many of the panicked hoarders had even bothered to get flu shots this year.

Obviously we have to take precautions. It would be careless and stupid not to.

But I am not living in constant fear. I am being intelligent but I am not cringing in the dark.

I’ll admit I have ordered some essentials on Amazon only because I worry that because of the panicked hoarding that when I actually DO need something it won’t be there. But I didn’t order enough stuff to supply a freaking army.

And I agree about the bottled water!
Reply to: #985354 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 4, 2020 11:30am
Thread Board
.... We meet in a parking lot and pass off the package.

Yep. Resembles a drug deal.
Re: Just an idea
Reply to: #985359 by SherlockMiles
Apr 4, 2020 11:34am
Thread Board
Awesome idea!
Spring Grove Boxing--Delayed
Board: State: Ohio
Apr 4, 2020 12:00pm
Board
With the weather improving and many of us needing to get outside while maintaining social distance, I am sure some may be planning a trip to Spring Grove.

Don't.

The cemetery announced this week that the grounds would be closed to all nonessential traffic

Spring Grove Closed
Reply to: #985350 by sojourner
Apr 4, 2020 12:02pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the link.
Now you've got me wondering; does anyone have a secret stash of links to clues such as
https://www.mapsurfer.com/
Other links to non-LbNA & AQ letterboxing sites?
Reply to: #985360 by MissMoon
Apr 4, 2020 12:28pm
Thread Board
Thousands die from the flu in this country EVERY single year and no one starts hoarding supplies.

And because we didn't hoard toilet paper in previous flu epidemics, we have to all hoard it at the same time. ;-(

And I keep wondering how many of the panicked hoarders had even bothered to get flu shots this year.

<snark!>It's a government conspiracy! That's why we don't get those shots!</snark!>

I am being intelligent but I am not cringing in the dark.

Me too! I go outside and cringe! ;-)

I’ll admit I have ordered some essentials on Amazon only because I worry that because of the panicked hoarding that when I actually DO need something it won’t be there.

I was in the store last night, just before closing time. (It used to be a 24/7 store, but not now.) I have over two years of toilet paper, but I bought one of those 16-pack packages of toilet paper, just because everyone else was doing it. (They are limiting it to 1 per family.) I thought it would be funny because of that.

They are still limiting milk purchases to 3 per family, but that is how many I was planning to buy when I went in the store.

The store-brand ice cream is also almost gone. The big brands are fully stocked.
Apr 4, 2020 12:41pm
Thread Board
I’m staying positive and making the best of it

Was your post as positive as you intended?
You made good points which could have been posted as a separate thread.
Replying here has the (hopefully unintentional) appearance of shaming people who innocently shared their own experiences earlier in the thread.
Little Free Library
Apr 4, 2020 12:54pm
Thread Board
Nowadays any time I see an empty park, I pull over for a walk while the “distancing” is good.
Here’s what I found at one small park where the playground and picnic tables were all wrapped in yellow police tape.
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=149035

The note names the organizations involved and says “take an item, leave an item.”
Reply to: #985354 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 4, 2020 1:46pm
Thread Board

That is almost what we do. We meet in a parking lot and pass off the package.

Or you could invent a new letterbox type. Like Corporal Captain. Boxer Lover47 could hand over a list of clues to Oberon_Kenobi, telling him how to find the now hidden postal. It would now be a postal - traditional.
Reply to: #985364 by Grrly Girl
Apr 4, 2020 1:50pm
Thread Board
Perhaps. :)
Reply to: #985358 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 4, 2020 1:59pm
Thread Board
I don't think being rude to people, especially me, makes you special.

Oh my gawd, lighten up Francis, it was a joke! Did you not see the winky smile? Nowhere did I imply I was special, nor was it intended. I'm just sharing my views. I sincerely apologize if my joke offended you.

Quoth Summerfun:
Was your post as positive as you intended?
You made good points which could have been posted as a separate thread.
Replying here has the (hopefully unintentional) appearance of shaming people who innocently shared their own experiences earlier in the thread.

I hope it was positive in the sense it gave this pandemic some perspective. I apologize to anyone in this thread I offended but nowhere do I feel I've shamed anyone. I haven't said I think anyone is wrong in this thread, I just said I have a different outlook.
billboard
Apr 4, 2020 2:03pm
Board
Saw a great billboard today. It said :
USE YOUR OUTSIDE VOICE

Made me smile.
Re: Little Free Library
Reply to: #985367 by Summerfun
Apr 4, 2020 3:01pm
Thread Board
What a wonderful concept during this trying time! We are a resilient and caring nation!
Ansonia
Apr 4, 2020 3:36pm
Board
The Ansonia Nature Center is closed until further notice.