A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Has This Ever Happened to You
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #985236 by RDHG
Apr 1, 2020 11:58pm
Thread Board
Years ago, I had a reserved listing with a complicated puzzle clue that depended on very specific directions. I spent weeks trying to get the details right.

Then a new Girl Scout box got listed on LbNA. I read the clue and knew immediately that they had planted it behind the exact tree I intended to use. That one is still in limbo.
Re: A Square to Spare
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #985206 by Green Tortuga
Apr 2, 2020 12:09am
Thread Board
It'll be interesting to see if the average post is shorter on 4/1.
Re: AQ Coronavirus 4/1
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #985240 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 2, 2020 3:07am
Thread Board
Ah wonna git me one o dem venalatory systems
Bingo word - April 2
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Apr 2, 2020 4:03am
Board
Nick Lowe wrote it, Elvis Costello made it famous, and Dawnkey, inspired by Rocket Raider, butchered it:

As I drive through
This stormy land
After boxing at Homer Lake for all the day
I ask myself
Is all hope lost?
Is there any chance of finding a good food buffet?

And each time I feel like this inside
There's one thing I wanna know:
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and yummy cheese balls? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and yummy cheese balls?

And as I drive on
Through thunderstorms
My dashboard warning light comes on, sometimes
So where are the towns?
And where are the burgers?
And where are the waffle cones?
Sweet waffle cones?

'Cause each time the storm sirens sound,
Just makes me wanna cry
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and yummy cheese balls? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and yummy cheese balls?

N - Peace, Love, and Cheese Balls

I must say I love the name of this box and the story behind it---check it out!
Re: The Producers 1967
Board: Movie Moments
Reply to: #985230 by knit wit
Apr 2, 2020 6:04am
Thread Board
Have you seen Jo Jo Rabbit yet? There is a goofy Hitler in that one too.

Amanda from Seattle
Re: AQ Coronavirus 4/1
Reply to: #985142 by The Woodshed
Apr 2, 2020 6:05am
Thread Board
I miss dodging the floating virus.

What's the next holiday? Can we have floating peeps for Easter?
Re: Help I can’t log on to AtlasQuest!
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #985225 by Topcollector
Apr 2, 2020 6:08am
Thread Board
Holy cow these viruses are getting big.

The bigger the better. That way you can see 'em coming and duck and dodge.
Re: Plant A Beer Day 2020!
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #985245 by Dawgdok
Apr 2, 2020 6:26am
Thread Board
[...] just need to be able to get out of the house to plant them now.

At least in Utah we are still allowed to go outside as long as we keep social distance.
Re: Bumper Stickers!
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #985227 by sojourner
Apr 2, 2020 6:26am
Thread Board
wow, I didn't know about that site. Thank you!
Reply to: #985246 by Kelsung
Apr 2, 2020 6:32am
Thread Board
Wow. The exact tree even. What are the odds? Well, apparently, the odds are not too slim since it happens. When you work so hard for an extended period of time, though, it can be a real bummer.

I planted a box at a church after going to the office, explaining letterboxing, showing them the stamp, and getting permission. Then the secretary and the landscaper helped me find a spot. It was a whole ordeal. Shortly thereafter, a geocacher planted in the very same bush in which I had gone through all of the trouble to plant.

Thankfully, in that instance, someone that knew me found that and moved my box for me.
Re: Mystery Postal #422 is now open!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #984731 by IrishRef
Apr 2, 2020 7:08am
Thread Board
Re: A Square to Spare
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #985243 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 2, 2020 7:23am
Thread Board
Thank you for the Studio C hilarious weather report!
Great site for virtual experiences
Apr 2, 2020 9:23am
Thread Board
I've done so many great unique, behind the scenes, one of a kind experiences with the New York Adventure Club!! Places I've always wanted to go to or see.......They've been putting together a ton of fantastic virtual events now, so I thought I'd share with my favorite people. If you've got nothing to do - or are stuck at home (LOL - tongue in cheek) Check them out.

https://www.nyadventureclub.com/categories/all
Reply to: #985246 by Kelsung
Apr 2, 2020 9:28am
Thread Board
Betcha that Girl Scout letterbox has gone missing by now so you can now plant there and take this one out of limbo.
Rules for Letterboxing and Code of Conduct
Apr 2, 2020 10:09am
Thread Board
I have been asked to review the Girl Scouts of Connecticut Letterboxing Patch requirements (like a badge, but specific to our council) and make suggestions of changes. I know there have been discussions of scouts not following proper etiquette and I wanted to update this section on the patch. Now where should I point leaders to the Code of Conduct here on AQ or is there another reference that I should include? I have a section on etiquette, I use with my letterboxing programs, but I cannot remember where it came from. Any input welcome.

Thanks - LL
State Parks
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 2, 2020 11:08am
Thread Board
are all the state parks closed?
Re: State Parks
Reply to: #985262 by burning feet
Apr 2, 2020 11:11am
Thread Board
not that I know of
Apr 2, 2020 11:13am
Thread Board
I had just gotten an email from CFPA or some such group a day or two ago....i'll see if I can find it......
Apr 2, 2020 11:16am
Thread Board
[LINKS REMOVED]

Have you heard the latest announcement regarding the status of your State Parks and Forests? The following is what we know as of earlier today (4/1/2020). Things are changing quickly and we will try to keep you updated.

The CT Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) announced the following measures today to reduce crowding and help visitors to #StaySafeOutdoors:
Picnic tables/areas in State Parks & Forests are now closed;
“Walk-in” visitors are not allowed when Parks are closed for parking capacity or other reasons;
Solitary recreation is recommended, and groups of more than 5 are prohibited; and
Violations of these and other rules associated with Executive Orders can be prosecuted as “up to Class D felonies” and may include a ban from State Parks and other properties for 30 days.

See the full DEEP Press Release here.

Many dedicated people at DEEP are working extra hard to keep your State Parks and Forests open to benefit your physical and mental health. However, these essential outdoor places could be closed or limited if we don't take proper precautions to #StaySafeOutdoors.

Earlier this week we shared with you 5 things to do to #StaySafeOutdoors (we added #6-8 below based on some great email responses we received):
Use appropriate social distancing by staying at least 6 feet from others (when you are passing someone on a trail, make sure to yield and allow for plenty of space);
Go outdoors as a solitary activity or in a very small group (and if you get to a place that is already crowded, find another place to go);
Keep your germs to yourself (cough or sneeze into your sleeve, and if you are not feeling well, stay at home);
Be careful about what you touch (and don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth);
Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as often as possible (at least before and after you go outdoors);
"Go before you go" and limit the length of your trip (since restroom facilities are closed);
Don't pet dogs that are not your own (the COVID-19 virus reportedly can be spread on dog fur just like it can survive on other surfaces); and
Take out what you take in (this is always good to do, but especially important now).

The good news continues to be that there are PLENTY of places to go outdoors that are not overcrowded. When crowds form, closures may follow, so please do your part to keep outdoor crowds to a minimum.

Thank you for being a responsible user of the outdoors, and please #StaySafeOutdoors!

All the best,

Eric

Eric Hammerling, Executive Director
Connecticut Forest & Park Association

P.S. Here's a helpful instructional video to show you how to use all of the features of the NEW Interactive Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails map. This map can help you find directions (and parking) to over 825 miles of Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails stretching across 96 towns. You may be surprised at the less
Reply to: #985265 by SherlockMiles
Apr 2, 2020 11:22am
Thread Board
someone told me today that gillette castle is closed. maybe not the park and the trails then?
Apr 2, 2020 11:25am
Thread Board
Reply to: #985266 by burning feet
Apr 2, 2020 11:27am
Thread Board
Well the castle is - it's off season right now. The only part of the park that was closed was the construction area. I haven't heard anything different, but I'll check with the Pres. of the Friends group.
Reply to: #985267 by sojourner
Apr 2, 2020 11:30am
Thread Board
Thanks for posting this.

It says "Gillette Castle Visitors Center in East Haddam"

The visitor's center is usually open at least for access to the bathrooms, so I'd say thatits just that building.
Re: Rules for Letterboxing and Code of Conduct
Reply to: #985260 by Lowland Lass
Apr 2, 2020 11:53am
Thread Board
Hi LL,
If you can get you hands on this book it has pretty much everything you want to know and things you didn't know you should know.
And, it makes a dandy gift for new boxers.

Here's the AQ Code of Conduct pages
https://www.atlasquest.com/about/rules/
PBS - Good Series
Apr 2, 2020 12:11pm
Board
If you are a member and have the PBS app or have the channel on whatever you stream on, there is a good Swedish mystery/detective/thriller series called Modus.

Season one and two. Subtitles.
I assume it has been broadcast in the past. I seem to have missed it.
Reply to: #985269 by SherlockMiles
Apr 2, 2020 12:26pm
Thread Board
They closed picnic facilities in all the parks I think and they closed the tower at Sleeping Giant. They are trying to get people to go to alternate parks and I noticed that yesterday the main parking area for Indian Well was open. And they had signs posted at the trailheads there telling people to maintain 6 feet distancing and that only individuals or family groups were allowed. For the most part, facilities closed, trails open, except when it gets too crowded. Go to lesser-used spots and/or go early in the morning. Last Sunday I woke up and shot out the door at 5:30 am. And I am not a morning person.
Re: Great site for virtual experiences
Reply to: #985258 by SherlockMiles
Apr 2, 2020 12:50pm
Thread Board
Thanks, this is great.
I cannot believe how many virtual experiences are popping up now.

Stay Safe
Re: Great site for virtual experiences
Reply to: #985273 by Faeth Finders
Apr 2, 2020 12:51pm
Thread Board
I cannot believe how many virtual experiences are popping up now.

Like... https://freeconferencing.vonage.com/room/atlasquest
Re: The Producers 1967
Board: Movie Moments
Reply to: #985250 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 2, 2020 1:10pm
Thread Board
Yeah. I wasn't sure how I felt about goofy Hitler. :-)
Re: Help I can’t log on to AtlasQuest!
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #985208 by PuggleMom
Apr 2, 2020 1:11pm
Thread Board
Is it ok to shower yet? Or should we all just keep washing our ha DSA? Asking for a friend.

Note: Urban Dictionary is surprising unhelpful at translating this post.