A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Paradox
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #984847 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 9:52am
Thread Board
Agreed. Having a hard time with Florida's new regulations. I'm trying to get out your way this week, and just hoping that we don't all of a sudden get forced to stay home. Orange County already has some sort of curfew in place, but not sure if it's all day or just from 11pm to 6am.

BB
Reply to: #984829 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2020 9:57am
Thread Board
Our local Mountain Bike club that maintains the two bike/hike trails in our county, have closed both trails until this is all over. They are afraid that everyone from the neighboring areas will congregate here.
:(
Reply to: #984827 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 10:03am
Thread Board
If I am caught walking outside will I be made to show my ID?

I don’t think that it can be enforceable to make anyone stay inside/ not congregate right now.

I’ve heard from my police friends that many are calling 911 because so and so left the house, or so and so is at a restaurant with his girl friend and his family.
There is nothing that the police can do about it.

The county is now “shelter in place” as of last night, so I hope to hear how they are going to be dealing with that. They were not sure what that means for them, and how to handle the “he left the house!” Calls.
I'm Back! And event updates to come
Mar 25, 2020 10:28am
Thread Board
I have been completely inactive since about September 2019. I don't even remember the last time I went out to find a box. I dropped from LTC series that I have been a part of since the beginning. I just haven't been here. I hate that I haven't been. I love letterboxing and have been boxing for almost 15 years! Needless to say, I am back and can't wait to get back into thing. There are some changes coming though.

Back in September I ended up leaving my husband, as many of you may have known him I'm not sure that he will still be active in the letterboxing world. I'm not going to air my dirty laundry but things went south pretty quickly and I couldn't stay any longer. This was the main cause of my hiatus and the reason why I had to push the letterboxing event that I was going to host in January.
This was a big life change for me. I had to move back in with my parents, had to manage working full time for the first time while also being in college full time. I have since graduated and moved in with my best friend. Things are better. Better than they have been in years. I'm so happy. The divorce was finalized in January. I've lost a lot through this but I've gained a lot too. I realized recently that my passion and involvement with letterboxing started to disappear as things went south. I miss boxing. I miss this community. Now that things are better, and I'm doing better, I am ready to return.

It's a new start for me so there are going to be a few changes. I have been Catchow for the past 14 years but I have decided to change my trail name. I will be CathBorthiant from here on out and with the name change, there will be a new stamp! If any of you know me personally, I am back to my maiden name and I'm still located in Cincinnati, OH.

Now, onto the event. I am planning a murder mystery letterboxing event with the help of Gypsyladybug. I am hoping to host it in early 2021, though the date is not finalized. We've got some exciting things plan and it'll be an event you've never seen before!

Anyway, thanks for sticking through my announcement. Hope everyone is well and y'all are washing you hands.

With love,
Morgan/Catchow
New Boxes Being Planted!
Board: State: Florida
Mar 25, 2020 11:17am
Thread Board
OK everyone! I've been planting like a busy bee lately, and have four more to go out in the next week (all singletons). If able, go out and do your social distancing and go letterboxing!

BB
Reply to: #984840 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 11:23am
Thread Board
It seems like cemetery boxing is a socially distancing way to box.

It's easier to remember "6 feet" when you're there.
Re: Hitchhikers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #984843 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 1:03pm
Thread Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing. if a box isn't planted it isn't planted. if it is planted then list the dang thing! i can understand large gatherings not wanting finders before the event and having a ton of boxes to list. But for that single box you just planted.....what is the point?
smile
Reply to: #984845 by Kelsung
Mar 25, 2020 1:09pm
Thread Board
You are correct and I had not thought it all the way thru before posting earlier. I'm glad the question came up and has been discussed so we all know better now.
Reply to: #984856 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 25, 2020 1:18pm
Thread Board
It's easier to remember "6 feet" when you're there.

And if you don't remember, you get the permanent 6 foot social distancing yourself
Reply to: #984857 by uneksia
Mar 25, 2020 1:30pm
Thread Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing.

I actually don't get it either. But I guess if it keeps people from listing a box before it's planted???......:::::shrug:::: I'd rather see them reserving than jumping the gun on listing it.

It's not like people have to reserve a place or they won't be able to plant it. lol "Save my place!" lol

Lots of people list their single box as active before it's planted. There's just no reason to do that.

Plant it ..........*then* list it. What's the big deal? lol I hate doing a search and seeing an interesting box, clicking on the clues and seeing......this will be planted in two weeks or whenever. Then don't list the freaking thing yet.
Re: Duc's Box of the Week
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #984842 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 25, 2020 1:38pm
Thread Board
Thanks Tess. I suspect you gave it a nudge in the right direction.
Reply to: #984860 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 1:40pm
Thread Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing.

It is so you can know before planting what the box number is. Many people put the box number in the logbook, making it VERY easy to find/log the listing on AQ. By "reserving" the box, the planter gets that number ahead of time, so they can include it.
Reply to: #984862 by wassamatta u
Mar 25, 2020 1:55pm
Thread Board
Well, like I said I really don’t see the need. Still don’t. But it’s no biggie.

Now if you just stop people from actually listing the box as active before they plant it......
Re: I'm Back! And event updates to come
Reply to: #984854 by CathBorthiant
Mar 25, 2020 2:18pm
Thread Board
First...Love and hugs my friend!!

Life has it's ups and downs and times it consumes us. The best part....letterboxing is always here with the fun of the hobby and the support of the community. Welcome back!!
Re: Unbelievable
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #984706 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 25, 2020 2:45pm
Thread Board
I remember seeing Muriel's Wedding. Toni was odd at places but I really liked her character by the end.

I have loved her in many things but Sixth Sense, wow. That scene at the end in the car makes me cry everytime.

KuKu
Reply to: #984857 by uneksia
Mar 25, 2020 4:36pm
Thread Board
I like to reserve my boxes so

1) I get a box number to put on my logbook
2) I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

By reserving a box, I get a "work in progress" area on AQ, a place to put down my thoughts. Sometimes I have an idea for a box (perhaps a series), maybe even names for each box, but no location yet. Or perhaps a location, even directions or clues, but haven't decided on the carves yet. Sometimes it takes me half a year, from first thought to planting of one of my boxes.

When we go to plant a box, I print out the clues, and we use it as our final trial run, noting any last minute things, clarifying, re-wording, etc. When we return home, I make those final changes, and "activate" the box.
Re: New Boxes Being Planted!
Reply to: #984855 by Bungalow Boxer
Mar 25, 2020 5:35pm
Thread Board
go out and do your social distancing and go letterboxing!

But check ahead of time to be sure the locations are open. The two series that you just planted are in parks that are closed currently.
Reply to: #984867 by Janila
Mar 25, 2020 5:56pm
Thread Board
You could go and get the Tiki bar series. No gates!

And the Cars Land series only the Building is closed according to the website.

BB
Reply to: #984869 by Bungalow Boxer
Mar 25, 2020 6:24pm
Thread Board
What I think is ridiculous is that they’re closing all of these parks that, when hiking in them, I will never see another soul, but I can still go get my haircut and pedicure at the local salon.

BB
Reply to: #984866 by JampersandJ
Mar 25, 2020 7:00pm
Thread Board
I like to reserve my boxes so

1) I get a box number to put on my logbook
2) I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

I agree with everything JampersandJ just wrote. I almost always do reserved listings for boxes I plant because it's so handy to have all my notes and ideas in one place.

Here's another benefit of reserved listings--recently I was sent 18 stamps to plant by a very prolific boxer. I split them into three six-box series, and one of the first things I did was the reserved listings. That way the title of each series is set, the box names are entered, the carvers for each stamp are listed, the synopsis is done, etc. Then when I get each series planted it makes it that much easier to just have to do the clues instead of all the details before activating the listing.
Reply to: #984840 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 7:28pm
Thread Board
It seems like cemetery boxing is a socially distancing way to box. You're in your car and in cemeteries that are probably empty except for you looking for the box.

Then where did they put all the bodies?
Re: Hold On For One More Day
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #984823 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2020 9:35pm
Thread Board
Look at it this way: With the social distancing at least you don't get Lice, Lice Baby.
Reply to: #984870 by Bungalow Boxer
Mar 26, 2020 12:19am
Thread Board
What I think is ridiculous is that they’re closing all of these parks...

It is ridiculous. Going to a park for a picnic is exactly the kind of thing we should be encouraging. This is all because a few morons decided to throw a party on a beach somewhere, so the authorities decided the way to prevent that was to close down every public venue where that could possibly happen! What we sorely need are better leaders.

SWMBO and I went to Wally World Wednesday evening. We usually shop for a couple of things together, then I sit on a bench near the checkout while she shops some more. Tonight the bench was missing. Every bench in the place was gone. Someone has decided that benches are bad. Still trying to figure out what the thinking was there.
Reply to: #984874 by Kirbert
Mar 26, 2020 12:46am
Thread Board
Still trying to figure out what the thinking was there

They probably had been watching old episodes of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and saw Arte Johnson sitting on a bench harassing Ruth Bussi and decided to remove the bench.
Bingo word - March 26
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Mar 26, 2020 4:24am
Board
Today's word is an event. It's not an event I attended, but I could maybe struggle to come up with some rhymes about it. I decided not to, however, because I don't think any of you attended it either--none of you have it on your cards. Yup, it's a zero term, the fourth one I've called out of five zero terms total. Let's honor it with an anagram instead: BEHEAD BY YUCKINESS.

I - Disney! Buckeye Bash!

And that means we get a wild card today. Are you ready?

Wild Card - Split Rock Lighthouse (MN)

That happens to be another of my favorite lighthouses. I had a calendar showing it sitting atop its rocky cliff overlooking Lake Superior. When the calendar was done I saved the picture and thought how much fun it would be to see the lighthouse in person. And so in October of 2017, my husband and I drove up through the UP, across Wisconsin, north of Duluth, and toured the Split Rock Lighthouse. The funny thing is I thought we were going to a fairly remote location at an off-season time of the year, but there were actually tons of people all around. Turns out it was some Minnesota thing where all the schools are out for a couple of days and families all go on vacation, apparently to the North Shore.
Re: Switching things up!
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #984817 by TeachJR
Mar 26, 2020 4:37am
Thread Board
y'all keep sewing! If I had an idea of which end is which on a sewing machine I'd be there with you. I already looked up the Jo Anne video but didn't understand anything after the first word. This one looks awesome too, at least the mask does.

I was at the medical facility yesterday wishing I had a mask. Not to protect myself but to help others understand I don't want to make them sick (fortunately, I'm pretty healthy for an old codger with underlying issues). They only had masks for staff.

Teach me to use that sewing machine and I'm right there with you. In the meantime keep on a stitching.
Re: Mystery Postal #422 is now open!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #984731 by IrishRef
Mar 26, 2020 4:40am
Thread Board
Reply to: #984866 by JampersandJ
Mar 26, 2020 5:47am
Thread Board
I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

I have the opposite problem. I’m still working on the clue. I planted the box last October.

K
Happy AQversary Carry on Grandma
Board: Region: Midwest
Mar 26, 2020 7:02am
Thread Board
Congrats to Carry on Grandma on 10 fantastic and totally awesome years as a very dedicated and productive Letterboxer!👏🏻🥳👏🏻
Re: Happy AQversary Carry on Grandma
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #984880 by Kiss'n Karin
Mar 26, 2020 7:05am
Thread Board
One of my favorite people to see at events :) May you have the happiest of cake days and may all your finds be fun!