A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Crafty Lobster Stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #983768 by mudflinginfools
Feb 26, 2020 8:12am
Thread Board
I would love to play with the Monty Python ones!
Re: Helloooooooo
Board: Night Owls
Reply to: #983880 by SherlockMiles
Feb 26, 2020 8:45am
Thread Board
Orange who?

Doughnut ask its a secret
Re: Unidentified HH and planter
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #982779 by Kirbert
Feb 26, 2020 8:57am
Thread Board
Sorry about that, I changed my trailname from Kris10_17 to MissAdventure about 2 years ago! No way to update it on any HHs out in the wild :-) Cool that you found this one in FL though, since it originated in MA!
Re: Tips?
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #983863 by Grrly Girl
Feb 26, 2020 9:01am
Thread Board
If you wore a deep red blindfold I'd know it was you.

Yeah, she’d be the one who had wandered off trail and tripped over the cactus :)
Reply to: #983854 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 9:07am
Thread Board
There are events in Tucson coming up that are lots of fun. They'd love to see someone new.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4277
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4270
Reply to: #983854 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 9:38am
Thread Board
I'm also relatively new! From my limited experience:

--Go to an event, you will meet people who will answer all your questions or point you in interesting directions. Also you will collect tons of stamps, and make lots of friends.

--Definitely try and find a bunch of boxes before attempting to plant your own. It's good to see what works and what doesn't.

--I try to find areas with lots of plants (ie, high density), or I try to find the boxes that have been "box of the week", "voted best" or "planter's choice."

--Get out there, find boxes and have fun! The best part is interacting with the community, so log your finds on AQ or LBNA (letterboxing north america) or both.
Reply to: #983885 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 11:22am
Thread Board
I know a few good places to try hiding, but I wanna find one before I hide.

The general recommendation is to find at least 10 before you plant one yourself. But obviously, that's up to you.

Here is the Arizona board if you'd like to introduce yourself over there.

TG
Reply to: #983885 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 11:32am
Thread Board
I know a few good places to try hiding, but I wanna find one before I hide.

I would recommend finding quite a few before you decide to start planting. You'll learn a lot by paying attention to how different people plant.

You'll see different styles of planting (urban/rural, drive-bys/hikes, lock-n-locks/planters pouches, large containers/micro containers, behind bushes/in trees/under rocks, etc etc)

You'll also see different ways to write clues (easy and simple "go here, then turn here", more cryptic "find the place where you...", in a different language, picture clues, or a puzzle to solve)

The idea is to have the box last for as long as possible, so planting a box in a very public place is always a risk. Landmarks and sightseeing locations are always nice. Sometimes the fun lies more in the hunt than the actual box.

Have fun with it, be creative, and don't rush into planting too quick.
(I did, and most of my first plants were quickly stolen/destroyed)
Reply to: #983893 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 26, 2020 12:16pm
Thread Board
Thank you!
Tips?
Board: State: Arizona
Feb 26, 2020 12:21pm
Thread Board
Hey, so I was directed to this board when I asked for tips. does anyone know any good boxes I could search for?
Reply to: #983897 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 1:20pm
Thread Board
The first thing you can do is a search of your town. I’d pick a 30 mile radius and see what comes up.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/simplesearch/
Re: Crafty Lobster Stamps
Reply to: #983768 by mudflinginfools
Feb 26, 2020 4:01pm
Thread Board
I’ll take Black Swan, Wrath, and Queens of the Stone Age. Thanks!
Reply to: #982781 by Kirbert
Feb 26, 2020 4:26pm
Thread Board
I’ve got tons of stamps around here from LTCs. The mischievous part of me wants to put a few out with fictitious names as HHs. 😼

Or maybe as anagram names with a prize for figuring it out. Ha ha.
I've been out of it so long.......I forgot a few things....
Feb 26, 2020 5:32pm
Thread Board
I want to turn a photo into a line drawing to carve.....is there a free online program where I can do this?

QM
Re: I've been out of it so long.......I forgot a few things....
Reply to: #983903 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 26, 2020 6:01pm
Thread Board
The very best free program is sadly gone. I use Ps but I think if you google ‘turning photos into drawings” you’ll get a lot of hits.

Edit: I found this..,
https://online.rapidresizer.com/photograph-to-pattern.php
Reply to: #983904 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 26, 2020 6:29pm
Thread Board
thank you. I did Google.....but there were so many I didn't know how to tell what was good. What is Ps ?

One of them I clicked on triggered my virus protection :(

What about GIMP?
Reply to: #983905 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 26, 2020 6:34pm
Thread Board
I've also used RapidResizer, and it's pretty decent. A lot depends on the photograph - how much contrast, how much detail, etc. whether you get a good carvable image.
Reply to: #983904 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 26, 2020 6:37pm
Thread Board
The link you sent did work pretty well! Thank you.

QM
Reply to: #983906 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 26, 2020 6:38pm
Thread Board
Thank you for your input. I just tried the RapidResizer and it did work pretty well!

QM
Looking for Narrow Gouges
Board: Tools of the Trade
Feb 26, 2020 6:52pm
Thread Board
I am having a carving party for my birthday next weekend -- because that is how I roll -- and my gouges are not as sharp as I would like. Some of them more push the carving material than cut it. Can anybody recommend where I can buy good .25 or .5 sized gouges and get them before next weekend? Thank you.
Re: Looking for Narrow Gouges
Reply to: #983909 by RDHG
Feb 26, 2020 6:57pm
Thread Board
Can anybody recommend where I can get good .25 or .5 sized gouges before next weekend?

Use Kirbert's instructions.
Reply to: #983897 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 8:54pm
Thread Board
What part of the state are you looking for?
Reply to: #983903 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 27, 2020 12:36am
Thread Board
Probably not the type answer you're looking for, but I use Inkscape. There is nothing automatic about it. Basically I bring up a photo and then manually draw an outline over top of it. When done, delete the photo. I find this more suitable for my style of stamp carving than the automatic converters because it enables me to draw exactly what I want in the image and omit what I don't. In general, it takes between one and two hours to sketch an outline of a car, airplane or fishing lure.

I must say that the learning curve for Inkscape was steep, and I'd have to admit that I still don't know how to use 95% of the features that program offers. I've managed to learn to use only the things I need. There are a couple of things that have proven handy, though. One is the fact that the outline I draw consists of one-dimensional line segments -- they have no width. When preparing to print, I can set the line widths to whatever I want, and I have found that 0.330 pixel (that's right, about a third of a pixel wide!) is about right, printing lines that are so fine as to be just barely visible. If I need to, I can change that line width in a second. Too much wider tends to smear the ink, as I use inkjet-on-mylar for transfer.
Reply to: #983905 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Feb 27, 2020 2:15am
Thread Board
Ps is Photoshop. Another app I use occasionally is Adobe Capture. It’s free and it does a pretty good job as well.

Gimp would probably work well.

The editor in my Google Chrome browser works pretty good - have you tried that?
Reply to: #982779 by Kirbert
Feb 27, 2020 3:14am
Thread Board
Kris is now MissAdventure
In Between Box
Board: State: Maine
Feb 27, 2020 4:05am
Board
IBB is now available. It will be active for one week then Marchs BOM will become active. This is just a reminder. Happy boxing everyone!
Bingo word - Feb. 27
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Feb 27, 2020 4:15am
Board
My husband and I were watching a recent episode of Chopped. A basket ingredient in the entree round was bison tenderloin. My husband remarked that every time they said bison tenderloin, he thought they were going to say bicentennial. Probably because he has a PhD in history and thinks like that.

Today's word reminded me of that. Does it celebrate the Illinois Bison Tenderloin? Not quite.

B - Illinois Bicentennial: Round Barns
Reply to: #983910 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 27, 2020 4:27am
Thread Board
Thank you kindly for the suggestion. I would prefer to buy new gouges rather than buy all of the products needed to attempt to sharpen the gouges that I have. Maybe we can look into that for the future, yet I do not have the time before next weekend. I do appreciate you for sharing the web site, though.
Deathdays
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Feb 27, 2020 5:50am
Board
After looking at the Deathdays list, I realized that Spock finally found his "Happy Spot" in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.
Reply to: #983909 by RDHG
Feb 27, 2020 6:34am
Thread Board
I am bringing some brand new #1s and #5s (only ones I use) to the carving party in case anyone needs a fresh tip. The local store in my hometown sells them individually so I stock up.

I've been meaning to send Kirbit a sack of #1s for him to miniaturize but haven't yet - hopefully soon :) I've read all of his amazing step by step instructions, but I don't have the tools needed to attempt it.

YAY for carving parties!!! SUPER excited! Gonna carve sooo much!

~ Super Hedge Hoggie