Board: Region: Great Lakes
Feb 20, 2020 4:07am
Thread Board
Please don't plant on top of my box
Or use my clues to launch your own
That's somewhat boorish behavior
Spread out and find a new zone

O - Poaching
Re: Counting Crows (no, not those Crows)
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #983668 by Grrly Girl
Feb 20, 2020 4:39am
Thread Board
I live in the Finger Lakes region of New York, and have witnessed this in Cortland. Very impressive to watch, but glad I didn't live there. The thousands of crows became a nuisance for residents living in the neighborhoods where the crows chose to hang out at night: broken branches, cars and everything else covered with excrement. After a few years, the city found a non-violent method to move the crows off to other night-time roosts.

Also occurred in Auburn, NY, but on an even grander scale I think National Geographic did a special on it.
Re: Bingo word - Feb. 20
Reply to: #983671 by Dawnkey
Feb 20, 2020 6:24am
Thread Board
What about eggs? Am I allowed to poach eggs? 🥚🍳
Still room
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Feb 20, 2020 7:00am
Board
I still have 3 open spots open for my Christmas in July tracker if anyone is interested 😁
Re: Bingo word - Feb. 20
Reply to: #983673 by BaliWho
Feb 20, 2020 7:12am
Thread Board
Not a problem. 🙂
NC vs TX Challenge
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 20, 2020 8:09am
Thread Board
What is the deadline for the NC vs TX challenge?
Re: NC vs TX Challenge
Reply to: #983676 by A Okay
Feb 20, 2020 8:11am
Thread Board
Re: Counting Crows (no, not those Crows)
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #983668 by Grrly Girl
Feb 20, 2020 8:17am
Thread Board
We have a lot of crows in my area here in NY but not to that extent and I've never seen a flock like that.

I know they can be a pain but they are my favorite bird. Extremely intelligent little buggers.
Re: I Forgot How!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #983530 by Cameo
Feb 20, 2020 11:55am
Thread Board
I also haven't hosted many postals lately but do to lack of carving equipment. I started doing hosting mystery postal trackers several years ago and recently sent out another one. Watch this board for the next mystery. It runs as a single without the need to carve. Just receive one stamp and forward. To qualify you must be one of the first 10 to correctly solve the theme of the stamp from daily clues.
Listing a highway letterbox
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Feb 20, 2020 1:15pm
Thread Board
So. I feel like I’ve managed to break the search function for highways. Things don’t pop up within a mile that should, and so when I tried to list a box with exact coordinates: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=313245 . It doesn’t pop up, either.

How do I accurately list a highway box?
Re: New Event Posted
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #983286 by photopam
Feb 20, 2020 1:43pm
Thread Board
I'll take a box of shortbread cookies if it's not too late.
Re: Listing a highway letterbox
Reply to: #983681 by Honeychyck
Feb 20, 2020 2:46pm
Thread Board
The one rest area box I ever did I just made the location the town that google said the rest area was in. Seemed to work.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/ohio-interstate-71/
Reply to: #983683 by MissMoon
Feb 20, 2020 3:01pm
Thread Board
That’s what RIClimber said to do... but half of his highway boxes don’t pop up on my highway search... which again, I’m not sure if I messed up the search somehow, but I’m definitely missing boxes along the way.
Feb 20, 2020 3:17pm
Thread Board
So. I feel like I’ve managed to break the search function for highways. Things don’t pop up within a mile that should, and so when I tried to list a box with exact coordinates: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=313245 . It doesn’t pop up, either.

AQ doesn't know that much about coordinates especially when you are comparing it to a road that has many coordinates.

Edit the location to make it include a city/state and it should work as expected.
Reply to: #983684 by Honeychyck
Feb 20, 2020 4:34pm
Thread Board
I’ve never had much faith in the highway search feature. I never use it. Honestly I think most people do it by town and distance from the town, to include the surrounding area. The one I did was found a few times so it must have popped up.
Is there a method?
Board: Stamp Swap
Feb 20, 2020 5:57pm
Thread Board
I am from New York. I swaped a stamp with one from Charlotte, NC way back in 2013. Took a long time to visit it but was a treat. How would I go about doing again.
Re: New Event Posted
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #983682 by Open Space
Feb 20, 2020 6:51pm
Thread Board
I'll take a box of shortbread cookies if it's not too late.

We have one box left. Marking it as yours.
Thanks!
Re: Is there a method?
Reply to: #983687 by Beatfeet
Feb 20, 2020 7:17pm
Thread Board
How would I go about doing again.

You mean swapping a stamp with someone from another state? This is a good place to start. I would be willing to swap but I'm a bit too busy right now.

Someone will jump in on the offer.

There is also a "Stamp Exchange" widget, but I don't know how to add yourself to it. Nevertheless, it is for requesting stamps and for offering stamps. I don't know which one you'd add your request to.
Feb 20, 2020 11:38pm
Thread Board
How do I accurately list a highway box?

I think you did a fine job of listing the highway box. I see it in a search of I-71 just fine. When you add a new location, it might not show up in the search results immediately, however, because highway searches are so complicated that it takes AQ several minutes to run a search. Which isn't practical so click "search" then wait several minutes for the results. So instead, AQ pre-calculates the results and stores the results which is what it actually displays when you run a highway search--the pre-calculated results. And AQ will only run those calculations about once per month.

So if you add a new location, it might take up a month before the results show up in a highway search. If you can use an existing location, it'll show up immediately since the old location would have already been calculated.

So basically.... you just need to be more patient. =)

However, that said, I'd highly recommend filling out as much of the location information that you can including the state, county and nearest city and even the name of the rest area or the MM of its location. It helps people figure out where it is without needing a GPS.

And it's required for your box to show up in other searches like an area search. Right now, AQ has absolutely no idea what state your box is in so if you tried to run a search for all boxes in Ohio, your box will not show up. Area searches aren't based on coordinates--they're based on the the state or county or country or whatever area is being searched. If you don't include a state, AQ won't include your box in the list of states.

I know it's inconvenient to add all that "unnecessary" information that you don't feel is important, but the more information you can provide, the more searches it will show up in and the more accurate the listing will be in the search results.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #983684 by Honeychyck
Feb 20, 2020 11:45pm
Thread Board
That’s what RIClimber said to do... but half of his highway boxes don’t pop up on my highway search...

If you put just a city as the location of the box, it often will not show up on a highway search. Especially if it's a big city. Take Seattle, for instance. It's currently listed as having a radius of 7.8 miles.

So AQ knows a box should be within 7.8 miles of the city center, but if you run a highway search for all boxes within 5 miles of the highway, a box "somewhere in Seattle" won't make the cut because it might be outside of the search range.

Basically, the best policy is to always provide as much information about the location of a box as possible. List a specific address or park as precisely and completely as possible. If it's a new location, it won't show up on highway searches immediately but it'll eventually get there and all of the searches will be as accurate and precise as they'll ever be.

If you list a box vaguely as "somewhere" in a city, it'll show up lower down in the search results since precisely-located boxes will get a higher priority. And in the case of highway searches by particularly large cities, a box "somewhere" in the city might not show up in the search results at all.

-- Ryan
US Oddities
Feb 20, 2020 11:50pm
Thread Board
One participant pointed out that we have eleven states involved so far. How neat would it be to have these in every state in the U.S.A.? Would you like to participate?

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4184
Reply to: #983687 by Beatfeet
Feb 21, 2020 1:36am
Thread Board
At Christmas time Trekkie Girl hosts the Stamp Exchange... that's another opportunity :)
Re: US Oddities
Reply to: #983692 by RDHG
Feb 21, 2020 3:34am
Thread Board
I'll take CONNECTICUT. I had already investigated what to do....
Bingo word - Feb. 21
Feb 21, 2020 4:03am
Board
DOG OARSMAN
ROAD MANGOS
SOMA DRAGON
MAD OAR SONG
SONAR DOGMA
ARGO NOMADS
MOD ANGORAS
SOAR, DOGMAN

Theater thugs?

N - Dramagoons
Reply to: #983692 by RDHG
Feb 21, 2020 7:15am
Thread Board
I love this concept. If I have an opportunity, I'll try to plant in a state that will add to the list represented.
Reply to: #983694 by SherlockMiles
Feb 21, 2020 7:20am
Thread Board
Very cool! Thank you. 👍
Reply to: #983696 by Rocket Raider
Feb 21, 2020 7:20am
Thread Board
Bonus! Thank you. 😃
Feb 21, 2020 9:06am
Thread Board
I don't know if this will help...
I have found that if there is a keyword of rest area I can find the highway boxes because I then run a search for the "rest area" boxes in a particular state. The clue then leads me to the rest area (for example: rest areas in New York State. I then look at all of the rest area boxes and the clue might say something like I90 west bound. The rest area right after a particular MM). So I guess my suggestion would be to put rest area in the keyword spot.

It might be a little tedious for the searchers, but this is how I do it. (and I *try* to make sure I have enough time to do this-with a bit of planning I usually can get there).

I hope it helps! (and good luck :) )
Reply to: #983693 by mudflinginfools
Feb 21, 2020 10:24am
Thread Board
Thank you for the plug, mudflinginfools! I usually set up the Secret Stamp Santa tracker for the swap in early October so people have plenty of time to carve something. Keep your eye on the boards - I usually post about it in a couple of places. Here is last year's tracker so you can get an idea of the requirements.

TG
Feb 21, 2020 1:20pm
Thread Board
I've found that entering the exact coordinates works great UNLESS you are also using a name that is similar to something that is already in the database. This is a problem when you have a park or trail or road that is so big it has many different possible locations that could apply. A work-around for me is to create a new name just different enough so that it works.

For example, Sleeping Giant State Park is in the database with a specific location. If you try to enter the location for the small lot on the far side of the park with latitude longitude, it won't take it if you use the name Sleeping Giant State Park, because that's already in the database. And it might not take Sleeping Giant east lot, either, because it apparently looks for similar names and automatically lumps them together. But it might take East lot, Sleeping Giant as a new location and assign those new coordinates. I just experiment until something works.