A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Fayetteville, WV, Question
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #983516 by IrishRef
Feb 16, 2020 10:01am
Thread Board
I would suggest for lunch either Cathedral Cafe or Secret Sandwich Society.

I haven't boxed in Fayetteville, but my family and I ate dinner at the Secret Sandwich Society once and we all thought it was awesome.
Re: Help finding a boxer
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #983512 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 16, 2020 10:25am
Thread Board
How about Gene?
Re: Help finding a boxer
Reply to: #983518 by BEBO BEAR
Feb 16, 2020 10:45am
Thread Board
Re: Embossing Failure - update
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #983507 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 16, 2020 1:21pm
Thread Board
An embossing ink and refill will be very beneficial to you. You will need to use colored powder for it to be seen however.
If you use colored ink with a clear embossing powder you will get different coverage. Re ink the color would probably help.
I mix my own colors of powder with pinches. Say I want a red with a gold tinge. I use two pinches of red and one of gold, then mix well. I experiment until I get the right color, then mix enough to do a project. I use clean, empty pill bottles to store left over and use masking tape to mark what ratio of what in case I need to make more for a different project.
I tend to use a lot of metallic colors, gold, silver, copper, and a rainbow clear (kaleidoscope) for my mixes. They seem to emboss a bit fuller.
It is just all trial and error. And keep your errors, because you can use them on greeting
cards, etc.
Good luck to you!
Feb 16, 2020 1:25pm
Thread Board
Your restaurant choices would benefit anyone letterboxing in Fayetteville ... 😉😄
Re: Embossing Failure - update
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #983520 by FunnyMingo
Feb 16, 2020 1:34pm
Thread Board
You also mentioned in that you were trying to emboss two colors at once. I managed to do that with a dragon once. I used the clear embossing ink (nice and heavy) then took pinches of the metallic green and scattered it on the part I wanted, then did the rest with metallic gold. It was tedious to do several, but worked. Then I gently tapped off the excess and it melded just like I wanted. The leftover mix is what I used on another project, which led me to mixing my own powders.
Reply to: #983521 by LCAB
Feb 16, 2020 2:02pm
Thread Board
Your restaurant choices would benefit anyone letterboxing in Fayetteville

Oh wow, that wasn’t there yet when I went to the Secret Sandwich Society!
Re: LTC question
Reply to: #983510 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 16, 2020 2:16pm
Thread Board
I notice the cold weather bothers them as well.

If I'm boxing in cold weather, I'll keep my ink pad and markers in my jacket's inside breast pocket. Body heat keeps them a little warmer.
Reply to: #983468 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2020 4:27pm
Thread Board
I do not think that I have ever been to an area where almost every single box was a riddle.

Looking at the search results for that town and glancing at the clues, none of the boxes are riddles or mysteries. You just have to read through each clue to find out the point you have to get to. The clues are very clear.
Reply to: #983470 by LCAB
Feb 16, 2020 4:30pm
Thread Board
Did you like the old ‘findagrave’ better or do you prefer the updated site? Just curious. Although I guess the update is not so new anymore. Been that way for quite a while now.
Kudos on BOTW
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 16, 2020 4:37pm
Thread Board
Kudos to Rocklun on BOTW ...
Well deserved, and one of the prettiest areas that all my boxing sojourns has taken me to.
Re: Hudson, ny
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #983488 by the pink dragon
Feb 16, 2020 5:06pm
Thread Board
I don't live in that area but if you get a chance you have to visit an amazing second hand book store about 30 minutes from there. And Hudson is a very cool little town to visit.

http://rodgersbookbarn.com

http://www.jameshduncan.com/the-bookshop-hunter/2019/3/12/a-review-of-rodgers-book-barn

This is a truly wonderful bookstore. Cash only but the prices are great. The address works in my GPS.

And something 'interesting' in the children's section upstairs. I was there a couple of weekends ago and took a look....still under that shelf.
Hi Colorado Letterboxers
Board: State: Colorado
Feb 16, 2020 5:16pm
Thread Board
Hi, Crocker and I ( Apple girl) will be in Colorado the last week of May. We are attending my great niece's hs graduation in Windsor and staying in Ft. Collins. We would love to have a mini meet and exchange personal travelers with any boxers in the Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley areas. I am tied up with family stuff for the first weekend, and we want to do some sightseeing, but get in touch if you are interested and we'll try to make it work. Also if there are any MUST DO boxes in those areas, please let us know. Thanks, hope to meet you in CO.
I Forgot How!
Board: Postals
Feb 16, 2020 5:44pm
Thread Board
I have participated in dozens upon dozens of plb rings, but it's been probably 10 years and I don't know where to go to join a ring. Help??
Re: I Forgot How!a
Board: Postals
Reply to: #983530 by Cameo
Feb 16, 2020 5:59pm
Thread Board
They are listed under Trackers. You can find the link at the bottom of the list under the "My Page" heading on your home page.
Re: Sherlock is heading to Accio Muggles!!
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #982636 by SherlockMiles
Feb 16, 2020 6:01pm
Thread Board
aaahhhhhh - I just booked my flights and hotel to attend Accio Muggles!!! Go Ravenclaw!!! Really hoping for a M&G Friday night, and any help for Saturday. Woo hoo............ Just sayin'

Sherlock Miles is already aware, but I just wanted everyone else to know that the minimeet to welcome her to Michigan is posted. It will be Friday April 3, the night before Accio Muggles, in Plymouth. Y'all come!
Reply to: #983526 by MissMoon
Feb 16, 2020 6:04pm
Thread Board
I'm probably using the updated one. I like that it gives a map at the bottom of the page so I can sometimes get a crossroads or a close idea of where to look on google.

If I wasn't busy letterboxing, I would be finding the picture requests and taking pics to post for people doing ancestry searches.
Re: Hi Colorado Letterboxers
Reply to: #983529 by Apple girl
Feb 16, 2020 6:05pm
Thread Board
Hi Colorado Letterboxers

Google
Did you mean: High Colorado Letterboxers
Re: Sherlock is heading to Accio Muggles!!
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #983532 by Dawnkey
Feb 16, 2020 6:06pm
Thread Board
Please!!
Re: Hi, Colorado Letterboxers
Reply to: #983534 by Don't Panic
Feb 16, 2020 6:19pm
Thread Board
No I sure didn't.
Re: Kudos on BOTW
Reply to: #983527 by west dover quidditch team
Feb 16, 2020 6:36pm
Thread Board
Thanks, T! Jynx's carves are awesome!
Re: HH protocol
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #983353 by condo
Feb 16, 2020 6:56pm
Thread Board
Oh, you should! They are my favorite thing to do! It's fun being sneaky!
Re: Visiting Ottawa
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #983508 by Mama Stork
Feb 16, 2020 7:02pm
Thread Board
Hi Mama Stork!

You'll both be fine with English only in Ottawa, although you'll find almost everything is in both languages.

The Canadian Museum of Nature is an outstanding museum. I'd also do a tour of Parliament Hill and the parliament buildings, including the library if you can. They're beautiful. And you'll want to see the Rideau Canal, too.

You can cross the bridge into Hull just to say you've been to Quebec! At that time of year, Hog's Falls will be spectacular as the spring run-off will be high.

Enjoy your trip!
Reply to: #983529 by Apple girl
Feb 16, 2020 7:24pm
Thread Board
Would love to meet up, and I know some others who would too! A mini-meet sounds great! Let me know if you post one, or if you'd like me to do that😊🎶🎻
Reply to: #983533 by LCAB
Feb 16, 2020 7:29pm
Thread Board
I don’t think they have a link to the old site anymore. They finally did away with it.

I found some ancestors on there. It was really interesting. I made a memorial to my mother and father.
Reply to: #983540 by Gypsy Fiddler
Feb 16, 2020 7:36pm
Thread Board
I will send you an AQ mail with my contact info, where we are staying and the dates. I won't know what day/times will work best for awhile yet!!
Reply to: #983525 by MissMoon
Feb 16, 2020 7:43pm
Thread Board
I meant clues. Sorry. I do not think that I have ever seen an entire area have clues. I meant clues, as opposed to directions. I do know the difference and misspoke mistyped. Thank you for keeping me on my toes. 😉
Feb 16, 2020 7:45pm
Thread Board
We went with Cathedral Cafe and had already met the owner at the hobbit hole. Really nice folks. The cafe had really good food for reasonable prices, too. We stamped after you in a lot of logbooks!
Drive-by thefts
Feb 16, 2020 8:45pm
Board
My family and I enjoy finding drive-by boxes in the different states we visit. We thought to continue this fun we would plant drive-by boxes in each state we visit now that we are confident enough to carve and plant our own. In the last two years, I’ve had to retire three boxes that have mysteriously walked. Two of which didn’t even last a full year in their hiding places. Has anyone else been discouraged from planting because of this? I know I could plant on longer hikes to get the boxes farther away from muggles, but half the fun of road trips are these quick finds we can get while stretching our legs. I’ve got the standard “This is NOT Trash!....” notice clearly visible from the outside, but it doesn’t seem to help.
Reply to: #983542 by Apple girl
Feb 16, 2020 11:29pm
Thread Board
sounds good!