A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Help plan an event?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #982663 by Artemis
Jan 19, 2020 7:45am
Thread Board
Yes! One of which enjoys stamping each stamp in every color of ink we have in his logbook (long series become very difficult).
Re: AQ Number on Mapped Searches
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #982671 by Janila
Jan 19, 2020 8:28am
Thread Board
'Tis done!

-- Ryan
Re: Weirdest stories from letterboxing?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #982672 by jaguarpaws
Jan 19, 2020 8:32am
Thread Board
Last summer, TCP and I were on the coast hunting for boxes and there was one in a very public spot. We were able to swipe it without anyone noticing but all of a sudden appeared this one lady wouldn’t stop watching us so we could put it back. It wasn’t a “she’s looking again” it was a “she won’t stop starring”. We went for a walk almost half a mile down the board walk and she would positioned herself so she could keep an eye on us and even got out of her car for a better view. Super weird. We finally gave up after an hour of hanging around/exploring and took the box for a short ride in search for another box a few miles away.
We were able to put it back about an hour later after we left when the lady was finally gone. But it was very weird.
Re: Our Etsy
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #982639 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 19, 2020 8:43am
Thread Board
Wow! Those are stunningly eye catching. So much talent. Shaking my head is awe!
Re: AQ Number on Mapped Searches
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #982676 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2020 9:00am
Thread Board
Wow! Thank you so much!
Reply to: #982673 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 9:07am
Thread Board
Then there was the time that I was finishing a letterbox series with a boxing friend, but we were in two separate cars. We get to the parking lot to head to the next adventure and a young man pulls up into the lot and gets out of his car holding a pistol. Scary.

(we got away fine but he started shooting at a target before i got all the way out of the lot).
Reply to: #982677 by Damselfly
Jan 19, 2020 9:36am
Thread Board
That’s super creepy! Sometimes I wonder what people who aren’t familiar with the hobby think when they see someone nosing around in a bush or whatnot. Probably not good things.
Reply to: #982680 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 19, 2020 9:38am
Thread Board
That’s.. unpleasant. It’s good that you got out safely!
Jan 19, 2020 9:52am
Thread Board
I have an irrational fear of any type of power source or combustible. Fifteen years ago or so, I was boxing in The Great Swamp here in RI, the trail I was on passed near high tension wires which already made me uncomfortable. I passed that section of the trail, tooling along another quarter mile, and I thought I heard a faint buzzing up ahead, but pretty far off. All I could think of was that a live electrical line was down somewhere along the trail. At that point I proceeded with extreme caution. The buzzing got louder and louder, and up ahead, I could see a faint black blotch shimmering off to the left of the trail. Tiptoeing a little closer ... then the smell hit me. The large dead whale that had washed ashore two weeks ago was dismembered, transported, and buried by the Department of Environmental Management in The Great Swamp to decompose. The flies were in the millions, happily buzzing away.

Warrior Woman
still shudders
Jan 19, 2020 10:18am
Thread Board
Maybe not weirdest....

Last spring, while heading for a box, the trail had one of those narrow, low, balance beam type walkways. Being a retired PE teacher, I figured this would be easy....I began the walkover, then suddenly stopped, lost my balance and went right into the drink! I was lucky as the water was low and I missed the stumps within. I got up and moved along through the bushes; figuring I would dry off. I was not to be defeated, as I was well into the hike, I moved on but later fell forward and bruised my knee. At this point, retired was beginning to take on a different meaning. I reached the overlook in good time and made it back to the car safe and dry, with a few bruises!
Reply to: #982683 by Warrior Woman
Jan 19, 2020 10:19am
Thread Board
WOW Warrior Woman this one will be hard to beat!!!!!!
Jan 19, 2020 11:11am
Thread Board
We went to a cemetery to find a series of boxes that I had planted just the day before. My daughter was not with me when I planted them and she wanted to test my clues. On Box number 2, she bent down to find the Box and saw this large foil tray under the branches of a nearby bush of what looked like raw meat...it was more like organs....and she really got the heebie-jeebies-so I went and looked too, and, SAME!! gross😯
Reply to: #982680 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 19, 2020 12:17pm
Thread Board
Forgot about that one.
For sure worse than the you, me and SD20 stalker.

Did I tell you about the hunter with the bow and arrow at a preserve?
Loud crashing through the brush. I thought it was a moose so I stood still behind a large tree.

It was a hunter. Turns out hunting was permitted in the preserve.
Now you know why I carry so much "hunter orange" clothing in my car.
Reply to: #982687 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 12:27pm
Thread Board
Not in the "top this one" category but still makes me chuckle a bit.
Following the clues, we came across a recently and stinky dead deer right on the path.

Since there was another path that could be followed to get to the same box I wrote to the planter to tell about the carcass. Maybe they'd like to mention the other route.
Their reply, "It wasn't there when I planted the box."
Okay. Never mind.

And the box with the four inch slug living on it, was the slug there when they planted? Yucky.
LTCs Basics
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Jan 19, 2020 12:37pm
Thread Board
I've searched this subject on the message boards and can't seem to find what I need.
I recently signed up for my very first LTC tracker and I just want to know what the basic rules are . SIZE of card, what type of paper/card stock, any info on making these cards would be helpful. Also best way to mail them..
Thanks so much,
Weeping Willow 52
Re: LTCs Basics
Reply to: #982689 by Weeping Willow 52
Jan 19, 2020 12:56pm
Thread Board
The LTC help pages are a great place to start. Welcome to LTCs!
Jan 19, 2020 1:08pm
Thread Board
Well, there was the maggot covered pouch under the large monument in the cemetery...that was a bit of a surprise. Still got the box. No amateur me! Mailbox on a post in middle of woods...no mail - I looked, I could go on.....lol.
Re: Today's the day !
Reply to: #982585 by MissMoon
Jan 19, 2020 1:19pm
Thread Board
Ok then. Jean Shepherd. The Christmas Story. My favorite Christmas movie. Had a radio program in Vermont. Anything?

?????
Reply to: #982689 by Weeping Willow 52
Jan 19, 2020 1:39pm
Thread Board
Also, please contact Linden Leaf on AQ. She has a welcome package for new LTC-makers, and it includes sample cards, as well as a very helpful information sheet. Ask any of us questions if you don’t find all the answers you’re looking for. WELCOME!!
Reply to: #982692 by MissMoon
Jan 19, 2020 1:44pm
Thread Board
😎

Warrior Woman
yes, that’s a clue
Reply to: #982694 by Warrior Woman
Jan 19, 2020 1:49pm
Thread Board
Ohhhhhkay.
Reply to: #982693 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 19, 2020 1:51pm
Thread Board
Thanks wise wanderer!!! I think I'll really enjoy this!!!
WW52
Jan 19, 2020 2:03pm
Thread Board
I was in a city park looking for a box near a little lake. It was a very busy place, so I was casually circling the area waiting for people to go away so I could look in the hiding spot. I passed a group of people a couple times who would not leave the area! They were just kind of milling around behind a bush.

On about my third time past them, they motioned me over and explained that they were the family of a guy who was about to propose to his girlfriend and they were hiding in the bushes so they wouldn't blow the secret. They really wanted a photo of the special moment, but knew the girlfriend would spot any one of them and get suspicious, so they asked if I'd take one of their phones and be the camera person.

I agreed and they handed over the phone and gave me a basic description of the couple and the dog they were walking. They were super grateful, so they handed me $20 (I made money letterboxing!). I utilized my stealth skills and casually positioned myself near the proposal location. I casually held "my" phone in the right direction and got the photo--and one of their dog jumping all over the place because he was so excited that they were so excited.

It made me think I should create a proposal photography business to finance my letterboxing!

(And I got the box in the end.)
Reply to: #982683 by Warrior Woman
Jan 19, 2020 2:25pm
Thread Board
Holy crap. That is probably the most disturbing and off-putting response I have gotten so far! Thank you for sharing. Hopefully no one else runs into a decomposing whale while letterboxing.
Reply to: #982692 by MissMoon
Jan 19, 2020 2:35pm
Thread Board
Never could find him on the radio after I moved to VT.
I could only find him before VT when an atmospheric skip allowed reception.
Now I pick up NYC and a few Illinois stations when a skip allows.
Reply to: #982677 by Damselfly
Jan 19, 2020 2:59pm
Thread Board
Maybe she saw you and was waiting for you to put the box back so that she could find it. Did you ask her which way is north? 🤣
Reply to: #982699 by Grrly Girl
Jan 19, 2020 3:21pm
Thread Board
A little prize for the first one to know why this day is special to me.

The few of you who know me best are not eligible.

(side note: and an important day for Jean Shepard fans)
funny

Yeah, but.....
Reply to: #982700 by RDHG
Jan 19, 2020 3:46pm
Thread Board
We thought about it but she wasnt a very approachable looking person. Lol!
Re: Mystery Postal #421 is now open!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #982441 by IrishRef
Jan 19, 2020 5:30pm
Thread Board
We only have one correct answer so far.
Clue 7 = doo wop.
Re: Mystery Postal #421 is now open!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #982441 by IrishRef
Jan 19, 2020 5:33pm
Thread Board
We only have one correct answer so far. It can be human nature to give up. However you may learn something along the way.

Clue 7 = doo wop.