A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Help plan an event?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #981582 by SpitFire
Dec 7, 2019 7:01am
Thread Board
Just wanted to say, depending when it is I would come, and likely a small group of us too. (From Raleigh NC area)
My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Board: Movie Moments
Dec 7, 2019 7:28am
Board
My annual Christmas movie plug:

Every Xmas my grandfather would sit us down and make us watch "I Remember Mama". It is not Xmas movie. It is a movie about a Norwegian family who lives in the early 1900s in San Francisco. And it is, in my opinion, the perfect movie.

Irene Dunn is perfect as "Mama".
There is Uncle Chris, the "black Norwegian".
There is Uncle Elizabeth, the cat.
There are that Aunts you won't like.
And there is my favorite part when you learn about Uncle Chris' secret.

Every year I promote this movie in memory of my grandfather. And because he was right. This is a wonderful movie.

csk
Watercoloring effect video shared
Board: Tools of the Trade
Dec 7, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
I thought that I bookmarked a post that had a video link showing how to color using colored pencils to get a watercolor effect.

Does anyone know what post that was?

Thanks
Condo
Re: Quadruplicate notifications
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #981605 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 7, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
yeah right .. forgetful NOT!
Re: Not all those who wander are lost
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #981622 by BEBO BEAR
Dec 7, 2019 12:01pm
Thread Board
Not required, but it sure would be nice.

Seconded! :~)

DZ
Re: Watercoloring effect video shared
Reply to: #981629 by condo
Dec 7, 2019 12:12pm
Thread Board
My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Dec 7, 2019 12:20pm
Thread Board
Knives Out! ~Christopher Plummer Part I

Currently out for release is the family wondering whodunnit in Knives Out.

The premises is as followed:

On the day of Harlan Thromby's 85th birthday party, played well by Christopher Plummer, Harlan sets the backdrop stage of his murder by confronting several members of his family of his intentions . . . i.e. cutting them off financially, threatening to rat out their cheating ways, firing them from the family business . . . So needless to say, no one was really in the mood to party hardy at Harlan's bash, and further needless to say, many were actually relieved when he woke up dead the very next day, before he could execute (get it,hahaha) his intentions. Or did he . . . dum,dum, duummmmmm

And it's dum,dum, duummmmmm not only but it's a whodunnit but also because our man Harlan built his life and family fortune writing murder mysteries. So, is this the old writer's last hurahhah, his final bow, his best ending . . . and why does he play? Interesting question without a doubt.

Shortly following the apparent suicide of the patriarch member of the Thromby family comes a southern-drawl totting private detective CSI Kentucky Fried Daniel Craig, in one of his most anti-James Bond character ever.

With the exception of one, each family member with a motive is questioned, though they argue their Daddy killed himself. And oddly but telling enough, none really seem to be mourning their Daddy and yet, oddly but telling even further, no one is questions why did Daddy kill himself. But the long and short reason is because they all have been circling the old man like sharks for a long, long time, just waiting. And now that he has died, they are ready and waiting with their hands out.

But the rest of the family and the movie continues . . . They bury their Daddy and everyone got out voted on inviting their father's South American nurse and kind companion, Marta, all the while waiting for their big pay day . . . and when the old man's final cut drops it leaves the family in an uproar.

But the game is still afoot and Kentucky Fried CSI is running out of time. Did Daddy kill himself? If not, then whodunnit? And how? And why? It's a mystery for our man to solve but someone is playing it false . . . someone is shifting about behind the detective's back . . . someone is playing a different game . . . AND THE KILLER IS… just kidding. You have to watch it to find out.

Having provided the premise, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Daniel Craig's performance. He didn't exactly steal the show but he did a good job of it and if we see future Det. CSI Kentucky Fried movies, I won't be surprised.
One Kitty for our hapless Marta. I liked her character. And frankly she was the only good person in that house anyways. The rest were greedy bastards.
One Kitty Paw for the ending . . . the final "got the killer" scene. Don't want to give anything away.
One Kitty Paw for the plot twist . . . again, there is more than meets the eye here but I don't want to give away the ending. You get fed a lot of information, so you can kinda figure out a few things but I certainly didn't figure everything out.

But . . . I have a few issues.

Issue #1: I really felt it was a bit long. They could have tightened it up a bit, like cut a few scenes, especially like the one I am referring to in Issue #2.
Issue#2: It get's political, real fast and really uncomfortable. Long and short of it, our hapless Marta is legal, but her mother is not. And when things go down, these @$$holes threaten our girl Marta with her mother's deportation. I mean, I get the set up but political issues in a murder mystery, come on, man . . .
Issue #3: I really, really struggled with a lot of other the characters. I don't do well with greedy, entitled people. I tried watching the Crown just recently and I had to turn it off because I was disgusted with the assumption of entitlement and privilege. I am soooooo over it.

But I don't necessarily want to take a while too many Kitty Paws, as looking past these issues, it is a good whoddunnit.

Chris Pummer looks great.
Jamie looked great.
Don looked great.
Toni had too much makeup.
The brown dye was terrible on Chris.
And I would have loved to have had an unblocked visual of the coffee cup, but everyone still gets her point.

So, at 3 Kitty Paws I do recommend Knives Out…. Come for the Daniel, ignore the political, and stay for the mystery . . . as the game is a foot while the plot thickens.

Dum, dum, dummmmmmmmmm

csk
My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part II~The Man Who Invent..
Dec 7, 2019 12:24pm
Board
The Man Who Invented Christmas~ Christopher Plummer Part II

Released on November 10th, 2017, the Man Who Invented Christmas is the story of Charles Dickens's journey to writing the now well known and still very popular A Christmas Carol. I personally did not know about this movie and stumbled upon just recently thanks to an article regarding a list of the best Christmas movies. Being the curious kitty that I am, I decided to check it out.

The premise is as followed:

Having a failed American tour and three failed recently published novels, Dickens was scrambling to recover financial. In the mist of all of this, his wife is doing her own Victorian House pricey makeover, his financially irresponsible father shows up unannounced with his hand out for money and if that is not enough, his wife also announces that she is expecting their 5th child. Needless to say, Charlie is a bit strapped in more ways than one.

And if being financially strapped is a slight issue, suffering from a massive case of writer's block, is certainly a major issue.

During the course of the movie, he is starting to gather tidbits of quotes, story ideas and a development of characters from various places as he starts to come to terms with the horrible childhood memories brought forth by his father's untimely and unwanted arrival. In short, our Charlie feels responsible for his irresponsible father and is very resentful for it, which I think anyone who had to work the workhouses to pay off their father's debt at the age of 12 would feel.

Inspired by the idea that ghosts can interact with our world on Christmas Eve, a notion brought forth by an Irish house maid, a Hollywood fictional character no less, Charlie begins to string together the foundation of a ghost story regarding an old penny pincher miser. As Charlie learns to deal with his deep resentment, he also learns that Scrooge, the miser, is capable of learning and changing too.

Charlie, played well by Dan Stevens, the hottie from Beauty and the Beast and Downton Abbey is obviously our main character, full of emotion, running on imagination and talking to people only he can see. Behind him, and dragging Charlie along to deal with his own ghost is Mr. Scrooge played elegantly well by Christopher Plummer.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Christopher Plummer. He is excellent as Mr. Scrooge.
One Kitty Paw for the Steven's and Plummer's interaction. They worked really well together.
One Kitty Paw for the reflection of a writer and apparently a factual event with Charles Dickens. Apparently Mr. Dickens would "see" and "talk" to his characters.( As a writer, I can certainly say that it really does happen. King Lucan from The Last Legend of Ireland was a very insistent that he have a bigger role in my novel than what I originally had planned. What can I say? The man is a jerk on and off the page.) But what I also loved about this fact is what movie does with this too. Cuz, my characters did it to me too.
One Kitty Paw because I enjoyed this movie.

But did he really invent Christmas?

Well, obviously, no.

To be fair, the concept of Christmas or the likings of it, has been around since the Pagan days of various countries, regions and areas. Naturally, over time, religion and changes in cultures altered it. In America, it has been said that Washington Irving "re-invent" it with his 1819 The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, gent., a series of stories about the celebration of Christmas in an English manor house-or invented several notions of it. This followed by C. Moore's classic poem, T'was the Night Before Christmas in 1822, which gave us the current American image of Santa.

So, then what did Dickens bring to the Christmas table in December of 1843? I argue that he actually says it via Jacob Marley with, "Mankind was my business".

British media at the time confirm that charitable donations did in fact go up after the release of A Christmas Carol. Charlie, unlike many other English writers, was from the poor working class. He understood the poor's struggle and in his life, he advocated to giving to the poor to help them out. He supported 43 charities, gave speeches as fundraisers for children's hospitals and silently funded widows and orphans. Granted the man was not a saint, but he did bring the plight of poor to light, and we still see his efforts today, 176 years later. That is pretty impressive.

But getting back to 2019, and Charlie's current version of his carol, my only slight-little struggly-thingy about this movie, and I seriously don't want to ruin it for anyone, and I do really hesitate to point this out, B. U. T. Dan Stevens looks like a young Willy Wonka with his wild hair and top hat.

Eitherway, if you are looking around, feeling the Christmas spirit (mind the pun) and wondering what Christmas movie to consider next, at 4 kitty Paws, I do highly recommend The Man Who Invented Christmas.

csk
Re: My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Reply to: #981633 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 7, 2019 12:37pm
Thread Board
I loved Daniel Craig's kentucky fried southern role in Logan Lucky (I even made a letterbox series for Logan Lucky down in Charlotte, NC --Home of the Motor Speedway!) So I am looking forward to seeing this one for his fabulous Southern Drawl

-amanda from seattle
Reply to: #981605 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 7, 2019 5:42pm
Thread Board
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message--even down to the links in the message. Assuming you haven't already deleted the messages, can you check if there's anything different between the emails--regardless of how small or trivial it might seem?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981636 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 6:49pm
Thread Board
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message

I got 4 notifications to my email address that I had a new AQ message, all within 2 minutes. But there was only 1 AQ message in my AQ ‘mailbox’. So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.
Reply to: #981637 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 7, 2019 7:27pm
Thread Board
So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.

That wasn't my question. I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account. The differences could just be a single character, but that's what I need to know.

-- Ryan
Re: My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Reply to: #981633 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 7, 2019 7:48pm
Thread Board
I am excited to see the review. I LOVE a good mystery (without gore ). Excited to see this one!
Re: Watercoloring effect video shared
Reply to: #981632 by Kirbert
Dec 7, 2019 8:46pm
Thread Board
Thank you!
Re: Odorless paint thinner
Reply to: #981430 by Topcollector
Dec 7, 2019 9:55pm
Thread Board
Did you use watercolor paper?
Re: Odorless paint thinner
Reply to: #981641 by condo
Dec 7, 2019 10:33pm
Thread Board
I have but you don't have to. It takes very little fluid, you don't get the paper very wet. You just kind of pull the colors together to smooth them.
Reply to: #981638 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 10:41pm
Thread Board
I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account.

My finger was too quick to hit the delete button. If it happens again, I'll let you know. Thanks for trying to figure it out.
Re: Can you really count it as a find?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #753020 by airstream dreams
Dec 8, 2019 2:52am
Thread Board
I have been wanting to post this discussion for some time. 'To Count or Not To Count'...….I know the unwritten rule is not to count. One weekend I found 3 boxes without a stamp!!!!! I know it is because geocachers don't know/understand/care about the difference. Why should we be denied a find because of this? I know this is not popular but I count it as a find!!!! In my log book I draw what I think the stamp might have looked like. And, of course, I leave a not for future seekers.
Comments from finders
Dec 8, 2019 4:10am
Thread Board
Not too crazy about how the comments from oldest finders are being lined up first, instead of the most recent finders.
Miss the old ways.
Reply to: #981644 by Sagacorn
Dec 8, 2019 4:34am
Thread Board
Personally, for me, the letterbox means finding the stamp, not just finding the box.

One of the tricky things about claiming a find without the stamp is that it gives the message to the next letterboxer that the stamp is there, whereas an attempt would most likely give the next letterboxer a heads up and allow them to pause and reconsider before hunting for the letterbox. I've gotten in the habit of reading the comments before heading out, just in case someone logged a find on a box without the stamp and then commented that they found the container without the stamp. That would be a letterbox I would not want to seek because it is not complete.

I think many tend to tweak things to their own preferences in a variety of areas of letterboxing. I know some ask to be listed as planter if they give someone a stamp they carved. Again, this doesn't fit within my idea of what it means to plant a box, but others are okay with that.

Something I've wondered about and would be curious what others do. When I find the actual letterbox, (lock-n-lock, pouch, etc.) and the stamp is missing, there are several options to consider.
1. Remove the contents from its spot because it is now incomplete and what I would call trash.
2. Leave the contents and notify the owner of the status. The tricky part of this is that many/most owners are too distant/uninterested/no longer active and the empty letterbox will remain (and, most likely, without anyone seeking it because of the lack of a stamp). Knowing if the owner will remove it is usually unknown at the moment of finding the letterbox.
3. Mark the status on the box and do nothing more.

I tend to do a combination of #1 and #2 -- remove the contents and then inform the owner that I have the box and, possibly, the logbook. Rarely do I hear a response.

Others?
AQ inbox issues
Dec 8, 2019 5:06am
Thread Board
Hey ya'll!!
I'm not getting all of my inbox messages when I think I should be. It seems like they pile up and then all of a sudden they show up. This is not good when hosting a tracker.

A member of said tracker has let me know that she received multiples of the same message from me.

Is this entirely my phone? Could this be the way my phone is communicating with atlasquest?

We do not have Wi-Fi, we do not have computers, I have and old Moto Android with data.

Or do other people have the same problems?

Thanks!
😊
Goodbye Letterbox-USA
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Dec 8, 2019 6:13am
Thread Board
In one week, the letterbox-usa yahoo group as we have known it will be gone forever, and since no new content can be added there at this time, I thought it would be appropriate to use this board as a place for long-time participants of that forum to eulogize its passing. I should have thought of doing this before it was frozen since many letterboxers from the past don't use AQ for conversations, but maybe some will find their way here like I did.

When I first read about letterboxing in early 2002, the article only mentioned letterboxing.org, not the Yahoo Group, so I didn't find my way there until later that year. Before that, I wasn't sure this whole letterboxing thing was legitimate, but after finding my first box then placing one myself, I started wondering who else was involved in all this craziness. That's when I found the link to letterbox-usa Yahoo Group on LBNA and it opened up a whole new world for me and made letterboxing real. Finding and placing boxes was fun, but talking to peers about it was just as fun (most of the time) and provided a way to learn, praise, and complain (sometimes vigorously). Eventually, so many people were conversing that regional Yahoo groups were created to relieve the load on letterbox-usa, and when the Texas group was created in late 2003 I was amazed how many Texas letterboxers were out there that I knew nothing about (at least 7-8!). It eventually became the go-to place for me to have a letterboxing conversation, but I still kept up with the national group for occasional interesting topics. Through the years, as I met letterboxers from all over, I joined other regional groups to keep up with their exploits and it was often quite entertaining. In fact, all the groups were entertaining and I will miss them dearly.

I'm hoping that Choi will be able to put some of the content on LBNA so future letterboxers can see some of their history and those of us who lived it can reminisce. In the meantime, you can view some memories I put together several years ago by going to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/letterbox-usa/files/Letterboxing%20Memories/
The doc file contains links to actual messages on letterbox-usa and if the links don't work when you click on them, try copying them and pasting in a new tab. They should work until December 14, when the lights go out.

RIP letterbox-usa!
Silver Eagle
Reply to: #981646 by Angel Winks
Dec 8, 2019 6:38am
Thread Board
Something I've wondered about and would be curious what others do. When I find the actual letterbox, (lock-n-lock, pouch, etc.) and the stamp is missing, there are several options to consider.
1. Remove the contents from its spot because it is now incomplete and what I would call trash.

That's what I do. There's always a small chance that the owner would recarve and therefore want the container, but it's far more likely that nothing is done and now it's just trash. We've also had issues where another boxer leaves a new, unrelated stamp, in a well-meaning attempt to give future boxers something to find. The future finders have no idea that stamp is not the original stamp.
Re: Help plan an event?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #981627 by Munkeybee
Dec 8, 2019 7:36am
Thread Board
Sounds good. Looks like we will have plenty that show up if we get it together.
Re: Comments from finders
Reply to: #981645 by buttercup60
Dec 8, 2019 7:43am
Thread Board
Not too crazy about how the comments from oldest finders are being lined up first

That's actually a bug. Should be fixed now! =)

It actually wasn't even necessarily displaying the most recent finders first. The sort order wasn't being specified so the database sorted stuff in whatever manner it considered most convenient which generally meant running through the database tables from beginning to end and that's how it usually sorted things. But since no sort order was specified, the actual order was completely undefined! It could have shown up in any random order!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981646 by Angel Winks
Dec 8, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
I personally would like to know if something in my letterbox was missing and I would replace that missing item and even re-carve that particular stamp. I save all my images on my computer for that purpose.. I never plant where I will never go again, so I can maintain my boxes.

And sometimes you get that one boxer that has some supplies on hand to help until you can get there. Like an extra logbook, or a new baggy, etc. I also try to keep my bag back with extra supplies in it for that reason too.
Re: AQ inbox issues
Reply to: #981647 by crosscresent
Dec 8, 2019 7:49am
Thread Board
I'm not getting all of my inbox messages when I think I should be. It seems like they pile up and then all of a sudden they show up.

Are you referring to notifications of new AQ mail? Or actual AQ mail?

A member of said tracker has let me know that she received multiples of the same message from me.

Unfortunately, bug reports like this aren't very useful. I need to see the bugs to track them down. I need details. Who said that? When did this happen? Point me in the direction where I can actually investigate this bug.

-- Ryan
Re: THIS SATURDAY
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #981619 by RDHG
Dec 8, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
RDHG,

Thanks for a wonderful event! The stamps were beautiful, the weather was grand and the pizza was superb! But topping it off was seeing my friends, old and new!

Happy Holidays, everyone!!
Re: THIS SATURDAY
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #981619 by RDHG
Dec 8, 2019 8:59am
Thread Board
You put on a spectacular event! Thank you. It was fun. I met more boxers and again, am in awe at the carves!
Re: Comments from finders
Reply to: #981651 by Green Tortuga
Dec 8, 2019 10:03am
Thread Board
Thanks for fixing it before I noticed it for myself! It's definitely helpful to see the most recent comments first, so I appreciate that!