Search

Read Messages

Re: This is Well Done!
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #981610 by RDHG
Dec 6, 2019 9:10am
Thread Board
Wow!

I didn't know an elephant seal can dive to 2400 meters. I didn't think that a mammal could do that, except a whale. And the cuvier's beaked whale can make it to 3000 meters.
Re: This is Well Done!
Reply to: #981610 by RDHG
Dec 6, 2019 9:54am
Thread Board
I loved that and agree about it being an interesting theme for an event.
Re: Quadruplicate notifications
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #981605 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 6, 2019 12:02pm
Thread Board
I imagine people keep hitting send because it takes so long. They think it’s not going to send. Then it sends as many as they click.
Suggestion with Events
Board: Suggestion Box
Dec 6, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
Not sure how you could do this, but it would be pretty cool if on the Events page there was a map pinning the location of upcoming events. That would be an easy way to visually see events in specific areas.

If you can find time between your hiking adventures this may be a interesting/challenging project.

Thanks
NLW
Re: Not all those who wander are lost
Reply to: #981571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 6, 2019 1:51pm
Thread Board
Here is a contrary opinion.

That's funny.

And here is "a corollary to the first" post.

WEEZY!
THIS SATURDAY
Board: State: North Carolina
Dec 6, 2019 1:52pm
Thread Board
It is not too late to join us at Downtown Mooresville, NC, for Christmas Box, which will have a lot in store to bring you Christmas smiles this Saturday.
Reply to: #981574 by coldsnap
Dec 6, 2019 2:03pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #981616 by MissMoon
Dec 6, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
I imagine people keep hitting send because it takes so long.

I agree that was happening before, but then the message appeared multiple times, not just the notification. Now the notification appears 4 times, but the message only once. Seems strange . . .
Reply to: #981620 by speedsquare
Dec 6, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
Not required, but it sure would be nice.
Reply to: #981621 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 6, 2019 2:26pm
Thread Board
Got it! Does seem weird. I do wonder if even the notification thing has something to do with the number of times a person clicks. I think I got a double notification thing a couple of times.

But yes, it is strange.
Re: Suggestion with Events
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #981617 by NLW
Dec 6, 2019 4:22pm
Thread Board
You can map events
go to Events > advanced search
fill in criteria
run search
on the search results page, select map results
2019-2020 College Football Tracker interest
Dec 7, 2019 5:34am
Thread Board
Hello All,

Foraych and I have been talking about the potential for a 2019-2020 College Football tracker. Could you please respond if you are interested in participating this year? No College Football knowledge needed. Please see Tracker description below:

Time to begin gearing up for this year's football college bowl pool. It is a fun competitive experience that helps make even the most meaningless bowl game important.

All participants will be asked to select the winner of all the Division I college bowl games including the national championship game (There are 40 bowl games, not including the CFP Title game). This also does not include all-star games such as Senior Bowl, etc). You also have to rank the games in order of how confident you are in the win. A game you feel is a toss up should be ranked low 1 or 2. A game you are sure is a lock should be a high number 38-40. For each correct pick you earn the number of points you ranked the game. For each incorrect pick you lose the number of points you ranked the game. Yes we could have negative numbers. (Don't worry I send an Excel spreadsheet to the alternate email address you provide that does the math for you). The list of bowl games and teams will be sent to participants as soon as the teams have been finalized usually around the first week of December. Picks must be submitted before the first bowl game kickoff time. The first scheduled Bowl kicks off at noon (Eastern Standard Time) on December 20, 2018. Picks can be sent by AQMail or e-mail. With the College Playoff - those who pick a winner of a playoff game (there are two) will get 10 points for each winner. Those who pick the correct winner of the National Title game get an extra 25 points.

Each member will be asked to carve a stamp about college football. The stamps must be added as a postal to this tracker and mailed to FORAYCH. The address will be AQ mailed to participants. Send enough LTC sized or postcards with your signature stamp and your entry fee/stamp image imprinted for each member of the tracker. These will be distributed so all participants will get credit for receiving a postal stamp find. These should be postmarked by no later than January 5, 2019. If a participant does not send a stamp they will be dropped from the tracker. Communication can buy more time.

Send me your alternate email and snail mail when you sign up please.

The winner(s) will receive the stamps as a prize. Prize allocations will be determined by the number of participants. We try and have at least the top two win stamps (As an example, with 10 participants 1st would get 4, 2nd 3, 3rd 2 and 4th 1). The tiebreaker will be the total number of points scored in all of the six hosting bowls plus the National Title for the Playoff Championship Series games combined (Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl and Championship Game). The winner(s) will become the sole owner of the stamp(s) to, keep or plant however they feel fit. The carver must be given credit in any listing posting.

Disclaimer: FORAYCH reserves the right as is common with my football official cousins to make executive decisions upon further review with or without indisputable video evidence.

Please respond to this post as soon as you can or if you prefer via AQmail to Foraych or Myself. Thank you for your time and hopefully your participation in the tracker! :)

Have a great weekend.

Take care,

Outdoorsoccer
Box of Month is in it place
Board: State: Minnesota
Dec 7, 2019 6:45am
Board
I will list it later.
Re: Help plan an event?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #981582 by SpitFire
Dec 7, 2019 7:01am
Thread Board
Just wanted to say, depending when it is I would come, and likely a small group of us too. (From Raleigh NC area)
My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Board: Movie Moments
Dec 7, 2019 7:28am
Board
My annual Christmas movie plug:

Every Xmas my grandfather would sit us down and make us watch "I Remember Mama". It is not Xmas movie. It is a movie about a Norwegian family who lives in the early 1900s in San Francisco. And it is, in my opinion, the perfect movie.

Irene Dunn is perfect as "Mama".
There is Uncle Chris, the "black Norwegian".
There is Uncle Elizabeth, the cat.
There are that Aunts you won't like.
And there is my favorite part when you learn about Uncle Chris' secret.

Every year I promote this movie in memory of my grandfather. And because he was right. This is a wonderful movie.

csk
Watercoloring effect video shared
Board: Tools of the Trade
Dec 7, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
I thought that I bookmarked a post that had a video link showing how to color using colored pencils to get a watercolor effect.

Does anyone know what post that was?

Thanks
Condo
Dec 7, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
yeah right .. forgetful NOT!
Reply to: #981622 by BEBO BEAR
Dec 7, 2019 12:01pm
Thread Board
Not required, but it sure would be nice.

Seconded! :~)

DZ
Re: Watercoloring effect video shared
Reply to: #981629 by condo
Dec 7, 2019 12:12pm
Thread Board
My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Dec 7, 2019 12:20pm
Thread Board
Knives Out! ~Christopher Plummer Part I

Currently out for release is the family wondering whodunnit in Knives Out.

The premises is as followed:

On the day of Harlan Thromby's 85th birthday party, played well by Christopher Plummer, Harlan sets the backdrop stage of his murder by confronting several members of his family of his intentions . . . i.e. cutting them off financially, threatening to rat out their cheating ways, firing them from the family business . . . So needless to say, no one was really in the mood to party hardy at Harlan's bash, and further needless to say, many were actually relieved when he woke up dead the very next day, before he could execute (get it,hahaha) his intentions. Or did he . . . dum,dum, duummmmmm

And it's dum,dum, duummmmmm not only but it's a whodunnit but also because our man Harlan built his life and family fortune writing murder mysteries. So, is this the old writer's last hurahhah, his final bow, his best ending . . . and why does he play? Interesting question without a doubt.

Shortly following the apparent suicide of the patriarch member of the Thromby family comes a southern-drawl totting private detective CSI Kentucky Fried Daniel Craig, in one of his most anti-James Bond character ever.

With the exception of one, each family member with a motive is questioned, though they argue their Daddy killed himself. And oddly but telling enough, none really seem to be mourning their Daddy and yet, oddly but telling even further, no one is questions why did Daddy kill himself. But the long and short reason is because they all have been circling the old man like sharks for a long, long time, just waiting. And now that he has died, they are ready and waiting with their hands out.

But the rest of the family and the movie continues . . . They bury their Daddy and everyone got out voted on inviting their father's South American nurse and kind companion, Marta, all the while waiting for their big pay day . . . and when the old man's final cut drops it leaves the family in an uproar.

But the game is still afoot and Kentucky Fried CSI is running out of time. Did Daddy kill himself? If not, then whodunnit? And how? And why? It's a mystery for our man to solve but someone is playing it false . . . someone is shifting about behind the detective's back . . . someone is playing a different game . . . AND THE KILLER IS… just kidding. You have to watch it to find out.

Having provided the premise, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Daniel Craig's performance. He didn't exactly steal the show but he did a good job of it and if we see future Det. CSI Kentucky Fried movies, I won't be surprised.
One Kitty for our hapless Marta. I liked her character. And frankly she was the only good person in that house anyways. The rest were greedy bastards.
One Kitty Paw for the ending . . . the final "got the killer" scene. Don't want to give anything away.
One Kitty Paw for the plot twist . . . again, there is more than meets the eye here but I don't want to give away the ending. You get fed a lot of information, so you can kinda figure out a few things but I certainly didn't figure everything out.

But . . . I have a few issues.

Issue #1: I really felt it was a bit long. They could have tightened it up a bit, like cut a few scenes, especially like the one I am referring to in Issue #2.
Issue#2: It get's political, real fast and really uncomfortable. Long and short of it, our hapless Marta is legal, but her mother is not. And when things go down, these @$$holes threaten our girl Marta with her mother's deportation. I mean, I get the set up but political issues in a murder mystery, come on, man . . .
Issue #3: I really, really struggled with a lot of other the characters. I don't do well with greedy, entitled people. I tried watching the Crown just recently and I had to turn it off because I was disgusted with the assumption of entitlement and privilege. I am soooooo over it.

But I don't necessarily want to take a while too many Kitty Paws, as looking past these issues, it is a good whoddunnit.

Chris Pummer looks great.
Jamie looked great.
Don looked great.
Toni had too much makeup.
The brown dye was terrible on Chris.
And I would have loved to have had an unblocked visual of the coffee cup, but everyone still gets her point.

So, at 3 Kitty Paws I do recommend Knives Out…. Come for the Daniel, ignore the political, and stay for the mystery . . . as the game is a foot while the plot thickens.

Dum, dum, dummmmmmmmmm

csk
My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part II~The Man Who Invent..
Dec 7, 2019 12:24pm
Board
The Man Who Invented Christmas~ Christopher Plummer Part II

Released on November 10th, 2017, the Man Who Invented Christmas is the story of Charles Dickens's journey to writing the now well known and still very popular A Christmas Carol. I personally did not know about this movie and stumbled upon just recently thanks to an article regarding a list of the best Christmas movies. Being the curious kitty that I am, I decided to check it out.

The premise is as followed:

Having a failed American tour and three failed recently published novels, Dickens was scrambling to recover financial. In the mist of all of this, his wife is doing her own Victorian House pricey makeover, his financially irresponsible father shows up unannounced with his hand out for money and if that is not enough, his wife also announces that she is expecting their 5th child. Needless to say, Charlie is a bit strapped in more ways than one.

And if being financially strapped is a slight issue, suffering from a massive case of writer's block, is certainly a major issue.

During the course of the movie, he is starting to gather tidbits of quotes, story ideas and a development of characters from various places as he starts to come to terms with the horrible childhood memories brought forth by his father's untimely and unwanted arrival. In short, our Charlie feels responsible for his irresponsible father and is very resentful for it, which I think anyone who had to work the workhouses to pay off their father's debt at the age of 12 would feel.

Inspired by the idea that ghosts can interact with our world on Christmas Eve, a notion brought forth by an Irish house maid, a Hollywood fictional character no less, Charlie begins to string together the foundation of a ghost story regarding an old penny pincher miser. As Charlie learns to deal with his deep resentment, he also learns that Scrooge, the miser, is capable of learning and changing too.

Charlie, played well by Dan Stevens, the hottie from Beauty and the Beast and Downton Abbey is obviously our main character, full of emotion, running on imagination and talking to people only he can see. Behind him, and dragging Charlie along to deal with his own ghost is Mr. Scrooge played elegantly well by Christopher Plummer.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Christopher Plummer. He is excellent as Mr. Scrooge.
One Kitty Paw for the Steven's and Plummer's interaction. They worked really well together.
One Kitty Paw for the reflection of a writer and apparently a factual event with Charles Dickens. Apparently Mr. Dickens would "see" and "talk" to his characters.( As a writer, I can certainly say that it really does happen. King Lucan from The Last Legend of Ireland was a very insistent that he have a bigger role in my novel than what I originally had planned. What can I say? The man is a jerk on and off the page.) But what I also loved about this fact is what movie does with this too. Cuz, my characters did it to me too.
One Kitty Paw because I enjoyed this movie.

But did he really invent Christmas?

Well, obviously, no.

To be fair, the concept of Christmas or the likings of it, has been around since the Pagan days of various countries, regions and areas. Naturally, over time, religion and changes in cultures altered it. In America, it has been said that Washington Irving "re-invent" it with his 1819 The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, gent., a series of stories about the celebration of Christmas in an English manor house-or invented several notions of it. This followed by C. Moore's classic poem, T'was the Night Before Christmas in 1822, which gave us the current American image of Santa.

So, then what did Dickens bring to the Christmas table in December of 1843? I argue that he actually says it via Jacob Marley with, "Mankind was my business".

British media at the time confirm that charitable donations did in fact go up after the release of A Christmas Carol. Charlie, unlike many other English writers, was from the poor working class. He understood the poor's struggle and in his life, he advocated to giving to the poor to help them out. He supported 43 charities, gave speeches as fundraisers for children's hospitals and silently funded widows and orphans. Granted the man was not a saint, but he did bring the plight of poor to light, and we still see his efforts today, 176 years later. That is pretty impressive.

But getting back to 2019, and Charlie's current version of his carol, my only slight-little struggly-thingy about this movie, and I seriously don't want to ruin it for anyone, and I do really hesitate to point this out, B. U. T. Dan Stevens looks like a young Willy Wonka with his wild hair and top hat.

Eitherway, if you are looking around, feeling the Christmas spirit (mind the pun) and wondering what Christmas movie to consider next, at 4 kitty Paws, I do highly recommend The Man Who Invented Christmas.

csk
Re: My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Reply to: #981633 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 7, 2019 12:37pm
Thread Board
I loved Daniel Craig's kentucky fried southern role in Logan Lucky (I even made a letterbox series for Logan Lucky down in Charlotte, NC --Home of the Motor Speedway!) So I am looking forward to seeing this one for his fabulous Southern Drawl

-amanda from seattle
Dec 7, 2019 5:42pm
Thread Board
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message--even down to the links in the message. Assuming you haven't already deleted the messages, can you check if there's anything different between the emails--regardless of how small or trivial it might seem?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #981636 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 6:49pm
Thread Board
Theoretically, at least, you shouldn't get duplicate messages if it's the identical message

I got 4 notifications to my email address that I had a new AQ message, all within 2 minutes. But there was only 1 AQ message in my AQ ‘mailbox’. So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.
Reply to: #981637 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 7, 2019 7:27pm
Thread Board
So it’s multiple notifications that’s happening on a single AQ message, not multiple AQ messages.

That wasn't my question. I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account. The differences could just be a single character, but that's what I need to know.

-- Ryan
Re: My Christopher Plummer Weekend~ Part I~ Knives Out
Reply to: #981633 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 7, 2019 7:48pm
Thread Board
I am excited to see the review. I LOVE a good mystery (without gore ). Excited to see this one!
Re: Watercoloring effect video shared
Reply to: #981632 by Kirbert
Dec 7, 2019 8:46pm
Thread Board
Thank you!
Re: Odorless paint thinner
Reply to: #981430 by Topcollector
Dec 7, 2019 9:55pm
Thread Board
Did you use watercolor paper?
Re: Odorless paint thinner
Reply to: #981641 by condo
Dec 7, 2019 10:33pm
Thread Board
I have but you don't have to. It takes very little fluid, you don't get the paper very wet. You just kind of pull the colors together to smooth them.
Reply to: #981638 by Green Tortuga
Dec 7, 2019 10:41pm
Thread Board
I need to know if there's any difference in those notifications in your email account.

My finger was too quick to hit the delete button. If it happens again, I'll let you know. Thanks for trying to figure it out.