Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

The Maiden Tracker of Winter’s Tale
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Nov 19, 2019 11:21am
Board
I just posted a tracker designed specifically for my 10 year old daughter who so badly wants to be involved in making LTC’s :) Please check it out and join if you like!
Re: When the whole world is running towards a cliff ....
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #981288 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 19, 2019 12:28pm
Thread Board
Like.
Re: 2019 Letterboxers' Christmas
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #981256 by SherlockMiles
Nov 19, 2019 1:22pm
Thread Board
This was my first and, I guess last, Toys 4 Tots Maine event and I'm so glad I decided to go. Thanks to all organizers, attendees, and carvers. We stayed the w/e and it was chilly but you held off the rain or snow so thanks for that. I'm glad so many more children will be smiling Christmas morning due to your efforts.
Boxes in Winter
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Nov 19, 2019 1:43pm
Thread Board
Should call my boxes that I've taken in for the fall/winter season "inactive" or simply put a note in the clue to the effect that I've taken them in for the season.
Re: Boxes in Winter
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #981297 by Purple Coneflower
Nov 19, 2019 2:02pm
Thread Board
I suggest changing the status of the boxes to "unavailable" and add a note to the clue that says the boxes will be unavailable until (spring) (date) (further notice) or whatever.
2020?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Nov 19, 2019 4:15pm
Thread Board
Hi folks!.. I was wondering if there is another week planned for July 2020? Thanks!
Quotation
Nov 19, 2019 7:09pm
Thread Board
I'd never seen this until today. It seems to me to capture the essence of letterboxing.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”

Roald Dahl

Maybe that's what the rocks are all about.
Re: Quotation
Reply to: #981300 by Wronghat
Nov 20, 2019 3:19am
Thread Board
Love that quote! Thanks for sharing it.

It prompts me to share my longtime letterboxing fave quote:
"Isn't it astonishing that all these secrets have been preserved for so many years just so that we could discover them!" - Orville Wright
Re: 2020?
Reply to: #981299 by Captain Jane
Nov 20, 2019 3:24am
Thread Board
Yes, plans are in the works. Second week in July - stay tuned!!! ;o)

Have a Grateful Day!
Pete
Re: Had a Nice Visit
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #981282 by RDHG
Nov 20, 2019 2:01pm
Thread Board
It was so nice to have a lovely visit with you! Hope you will come back soon!

BB
Happy Birthday
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Nov 20, 2019 2:40pm
Board
to you who share the date with my third grandniece.
you know I'm talking to you.
Nov 20, 2019 2:47pm
Thread Board
Maybe that's what the rocks are all about.

The answer is under the blue-grey rock.
Just an FYI..
Board: State: Maine
Nov 20, 2019 4:28pm
Thread Board
Nov 20, 2019 6:15pm
Thread Board
It is a perfect quotation.

Roald Dahl was amazing.. could help us image so much through his words.

As a teacher, you learn to wait, wait, wait... and see the light bulb as a child figures out his words.

Thanks for sharing this quote, and I agree.
A Little holiday fun
Board: State: Florida
Nov 21, 2019 4:00am
Board
From December 1st through January 1, 2020, I will have a special holiday set up at my house. There will be boxes hidden in the front yard for you to find, and Christmas lights to enjoy! I just ask that you do not come before 9am and after 8pm. Bring a camp chair and a little table and stamp away! Enjoy!
BB
2020 - Playin' In The Band!
Nov 21, 2019 8:35am
Board
Come and join us for our 14th annual letterboxing extravaganza in Andover MA next July!
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4252
Hope to see you all then - Have a Grateful Holiday Season!!! ;o)
Pete
July 2020 - Playin in a Band!
Board: Event News and Planning
Nov 21, 2019 8:38am
Board
Come and join us for our 14th annual letterboxing extravaganza in Andover MA next July!
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4252
Hope to see many of you there - Have a Grateful Holiday Season!!! ;o)
Pete
End of November through beginning of December.
Board: State: Vermont
Nov 21, 2019 9:31am
Board
Re: 2020?
Reply to: #981302 by The Merry Pranksters
Nov 21, 2019 9:59am
Thread Board
Right on! Thank you guys for all you do!
Re: Just an FYI..
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #981306 by Happy Daze
Nov 21, 2019 10:00am
Thread Board
Yikes.
The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
Board: Reading Room
Nov 21, 2019 10:10am
Board
As I mentioned before, I was going to give this the “good 50 page try”. And I did.

The premise is as followed:

Poor Harriet Westaway, and I do mean literally and figuratively, one day, out the complete blue, receives a letter from a lawyer regarding the will of the matriarch of the Westaway family. Hal, as she prefers to be known as, owes the local loan shark 3,000 pounds (it’s a British book) and is barely scrapping by as an “honest” tarot card reader after the death of her beloved mother. Driven by the thought of getting out from under the loan shark and her heater bill getting paid, she hops on a train towards the funeral, while researching this family she is now going to try and hustle.

Intertwined with Hal’s story is the story of Maggie. Who Maggie is a bit confusing at first but by the end of the book, a book raised to the status of a Agatha Christie novel, the “mystery” of Maggie, Hal and a few secrets of Westaway family comes to light.

Having given a premise, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for a much better written story than In a Dark, Dark Wood. (Which I really feel is a complete waste of a great novel title.)

One Kitty Paw for her well defined characters. You do like Hal, at first and because you do, you want what happens to her. Mrs. Warren is nasty witch. Harding is the greedy one. Abel is the kind one. You even get a good sense of the cruel, but deceased Hester Westaway, the matriarch of the Westaway family.

But that is it.

No Agatha suspense. No Daphne shadows of doubt. Honestly, I really feel that comparing this book to any Agatha or Daphne is slap to old Ags and Daph. Ruth Ware is not a Gothic, mystery, thrilling novelist. In fact I would argue that story line is a bit of a knock off or rather an extension of an Agatha Christie novel.

In this book, one of the characters makes a reference to Hercule Poirot but the truth is, I really believe Ware takes a storyline from the Hercule Poirot novel’s The Peril at End House. The actual mystery novel, The Peril at End House, surrounds two cousins who have the exact same name, as does the two cousins in The Death of Mrs. Westaway, and what a co-winkie-dinkie, the cousins name in The Peril is extremely similar to the cousins’ name in The Death of Mrs. Westaway. Magdala for Christie and Margarida for Ware, with Ware using Maggie for one cousin and Maude for the other, as Margarida is a family name, as Magdala is a family name for Christie’s novel. Anyhoooo, this kinda knock off is a bit off putting.

There is no real suspense. There is a bit of curiosity of “who”. But there is no actual thrilling murder mystery or gripping ending of “oh, my god, that was great!”

Um, no. It’s just a story, with magpies trying to give a goth feel. But I did finish it because I was a little vested in Hal. I did like her.

And, while this book is much better written than In A Dark, Dark Wood, but Ruth is still repetitious, lacks foreboding, and needs to work on her sense of suspense. And I do have to add, as it gave me chuckle, in one of the reviews that I read, it said, “the heroine is (someone) . . . whose stomach is always clinched or churning and whose face is always flushed. There is so much repetition of her worries, thoughts and memories and not much suspense.” And I would have agree. Hal, who goes by a man’s name, much like one the Maggie’s did in The Peril with “Nick”, another coincidence I suppose, was always having stomach issues.

Anyhoooo….. as for me, I think a Ruth Ware-d out. Her supposed great novel, the Woman in Cabin 10 is about a drunk who witnesses a murder. Oh, gee. Where, recently, have we seen this before? Girl on a Train. Yeah. And then there’s the Lying Game, which does not strike my fancy at all, followed by The Turning of the Key, which apparently is based on Henry James’ novel the Turning of the Screw. Gee, with all of these great novelists before her, Ruth will never run out of other people’s story-lines.

And don’t get me wrong. I am cool with modern day twists on classic stories. Loved Bridget Jones’s Diary. Colin Firth being both Darcy’s—OMG! Classic! But you gotta do it right. And Ware just doesn’t.

So, Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware sits at Two Kitty Paws.

csk
regardless which side you're on, this is funny
Board: Funny Pages
Nov 21, 2019 10:21am
Board
Napa meet & greet
Board: State: California
Nov 21, 2019 7:34pm
Thread Board
Don't forget Saturday is my meet & greet in Napa!! Hope you can still make it cas I'm bringing 1 of the most special stamp collections from back East-23 Safari Man stamps!!!!
Re: Napa meet & greet
Reply to: #981317 by R gang
Nov 22, 2019 9:37am
Thread Board
I’ll be there w/bells on!

Yosemite
Reply to: #981318 by Yosemite MJD
Nov 22, 2019 9:40am
Thread Board
i prefer you wear clothes instead
confused
Board: State: New Hampshire
Nov 22, 2019 12:16pm
Thread Board
went to the new hampshire board to check out something and i don't get it. the last post i can get to is oct 25, 2017 at 12:20pm. now i know that new hampshire is not known for our abundance of posts (or people for that matter) but i also know we have had posts since 2017! what gives?

trying to
smile
Reply to: #981319 by fleetwood7
Nov 22, 2019 12:24pm
Thread Board
Strategically placed bells, that is.
Re: confused
Reply to: #981320 by uneksia
Nov 22, 2019 12:35pm
Thread Board
Wassa was left in charge.
Re: confused
Reply to: #981320 by uneksia
Nov 22, 2019 2:40pm
Thread Board
went to the new hampshire board to check out something and i don't get it. the last post i can get to is oct 25, 2017 at 12:20pm. now i know that new hampshire is not known for our abundance of posts (or people for that matter) but i also know we have had posts since 2017! what gives?

The last one I see before this one is 11/2/19 by Sagahorn replying to one of her own posts to correct a date.
Re: Any Boxers
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #981287 by DeeCee
Nov 22, 2019 3:08pm
Thread Board
Hello? Anyone out there in Southern Ohio?