A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: New How-to video for letterboxing!
Board: Letterpods: Hear Here!
Reply to: #981244 by BinoBoxer
Nov 17, 2019 6:46pm
Thread Board
Do you mean a Ziploc bag using duct tape to create a letter box instead of Tupperware? I've used that technique once and could probably add that to my list of videos to make. Glad to help!
Reply to: #981255 by Other Bunny
Nov 17, 2019 6:46pm
Thread Board
Fixed it! Anyone can access the clues now. Thanks for checking it out and welcome to letterboxing!
Reply to: #981262 by Knits
Nov 17, 2019 6:58pm
Thread Board
do you mean a Ziplock bag using duct tape

Yes, that’s what I’m trying to make. I want a very small one but I’m missing the step how to make it fold under a strap. Thanks for any help and thanks for all your videos.
Re: How to do a Tor
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #981259 by Kirbert
Nov 17, 2019 6:59pm
Thread Board
Tors are fascinating formations. They are full of crevasses, holes, nooks, small caves, and etc. Should one find themselves with a Dartmoor clue book and other clues in hand boxing around a Tor it’s easy to find yourself poking and looking for a few minutes. Then back to the clues.
Box of the Week
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Nov 17, 2019 7:16pm
Thread Board
Congratulations, Lost Sailor, on your box of the week.

We’ll have to find your Funny Honey someday.
Re: Box of the Week
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #981266 by Nature Hikers
Nov 18, 2019 4:24am
Thread Board
I just grabbed it, very cool carve!! Also a great view from the spot.
Re: Opinions on best ink pads and experiences w/ different kinds
Reply to: #981145 by NeonKraken
Nov 18, 2019 6:34am
Thread Board
Archival inks tend to last longer, they don't fade with time which is great for your log book, also
waterproof is an advantage when a box log book has gotten wet, the signatures won't run or disappear like other inks will (also better for
boxing in the rain :)
Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Board: State: Georgia
Nov 18, 2019 7:57am
Thread Board
Thank you so much to Quite Contrary for the great letterboxing weekend! We only missed one stamp, which was a temp box that I guess was put online after we got there (we had data issues with Verizon the entire time, so I didn't see the entry until after I got home :( ). Oh well..... it was a great time! I wish I had more time to sit and chat and exchange with y'all! Maybe next time! And thanks to SHH for cooking breakfast! It was awesome as always!

For those who haven't logged Let's Fly Away yet, the clue has been revised for it's next gather, so it will not show in your Appling GA search. Please use this link to log your find:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=12129

Thanks for the great time! Now onto CT/MA for Soup's On! Oh, and Thanksgiving with the family....

Bungalow Boxer
Now we know why
Board: Yakking It Up
Nov 18, 2019 8:06am
Thread Board
books in libraries
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Nov 18, 2019 8:13am
Thread Board
hi,
I carved out a discarded book to hide a stamp and log book in. i tried to glue pagers together but they do not want to stick together. How did other people get pages to stick together? What glue is best to use? I tried glue stick.
thanks for any info you can share.
Re: books in libraries
Reply to: #981271 by nfsquared
Nov 18, 2019 8:35am
Thread Board
I used modge podge glue and only glued the edges of the book that shows and then the middle cutouts/hidy hole pages. Worked great! Good luck
Nov 18, 2019 8:38am
Thread Board
I use diluted Elmer's glue and a paint brush to apply it to the outer edges of the pages, and then again to the inner edges of the pages within the carved out hole. You don't need to stick the pages's surfaces to each other. Having the edges fused with liquid glue will keep the pages in place.

Ratio of glue to water is about 60% glue and 40% water, and you can always add a little glue or water if the mix seems too thick (gluey) to be absorbed, or too watery to control. Two teaspoons of glue will do a whole book, inside the hole and outside, along the exposed page edges.

Inset a piece of wax paper or foil between the glued pages and the cover while the book dries. You need to let it dry in the closed position, and a weight on top, like another book, is a good idea.

After the first glue/dry, check for unattached places and do another round of watery glue painted onto any loose edges, and dry it again.

For anyone who's interested and hasn't started yet, the best books for this purpose are the cheaper ones, the ones with softer, pulpier pages so the glue absorbs better. Slicker, smoother pages don't accept the glue as nicely, I've found.
Reply to: #981273 by Maude
Nov 18, 2019 8:46am
Thread Board
Thank you for info.
Re: Tool Bars
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #981122 by Green Tortuga
Nov 18, 2019 9:04am
Thread Board
He also suggested being patient

But being patient takes too long!
Re: Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Reply to: #981269 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 18, 2019 12:41pm
Thread Board
we had data issues with Verizon the entire time...

Summer 2018 we spent a couple of days in Bowling Green, KY. Lovely town, home of the Corvette Museum. But our Verizon phone went belly-up as soon as we entered town. No calls, no data, no nuthin'. The locals told us it's not a Verizon town. Sure enough, as soon as we left town everything started working again.
Re: Now we know why
Reply to: #981270 by Grrly Girl
Nov 18, 2019 1:06pm
Thread Board
Who is going to be the first to plant. Remember to give H. Bliss credit😜✔
Nov 18, 2019 1:43pm
Thread Board
How did other people get pages to stick together?

You don't even have to bother with all that. The pages will stack just fine on their own.
Re: Thank U Quite Contrary! (&clue revision for Let's Fly Away)
Reply to: #981269 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 18, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
Yes, agree with all. Had a ball. Never hiked so much in my life. Got so many awesome boxes. The entire event was so organized. I know a HUGE effort went in to this event. Thanks so much.
Had a Nice Visit
Board: State: Florida
Nov 18, 2019 2:30pm
Thread Board
Today was a beautiful day, and I had a lovely visit with Bungalow Boxer. She has some neat boxes around her house, and the next BOTM is a pretty and cute carve! If you have not been to her place lately, maybe December will be a festive month to stop by. Thank you for added smiles to the afternoon, BB!
In search of clues in SoCal (Spadra)
Board: State: California
Nov 18, 2019 2:45pm
Thread Board
Hello fellow boxers,

I am on the hunt for a set of clues, apparently only 3 sets are floating around and I have come up empty handed in my search.

The box is Spadra (#233799) in Pomona, CA. If anyone has them, or knows who has a set of them, please share the love. Contact through AQ mail to keep the secret.

Thank you all
Dawgdok
Clip Art for Images
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Nov 18, 2019 4:47pm
Thread Board
Could someone direct me to the recent thread on terms used for searching for images to carve?

Thanks!
Re: Clip Art for Images
Reply to: #981284 by Angel Winks
Nov 18, 2019 5:21pm
Thread Board
Re: Clip Art for Images
Reply to: #981285 by MissMoon
Nov 18, 2019 5:25pm
Thread Board
Yes! That's it. Thank you.
Any Boxers
Board: State: Ohio
Nov 18, 2019 6:37pm
Thread Board
Was looking at the boxes in southern Ohio, there’s a few there but I also noticed that they have not been found at all, one of them being mine, or not in quite a while. Are there not any Lboxers in that area? We were in a beautiful park at the KY stateline.
When the whole world is running towards a cliff ....
Nov 18, 2019 7:38pm
Thread Board
Re: In search of clues in SoCal (Spadra)
Reply to: #981283 by Dawgdok
Nov 19, 2019 12:11am
Thread Board
No comment.

K
Re: Any Boxers
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #981287 by DeeCee
Nov 19, 2019 4:13am
Thread Board
The SW corner of Ohio tends to a bit more active than the SE right now. I know I haven't been out that way in several years, primarily because my boxing time is so limited that I tend to stick close to home or go where there is a larger density of boxes for me.

Thank you for planting there! We have lots of wonderful boxers in Ohio and I feel like we are all starting to box more again. You must have hit a down time; hopefully the drought is ending :)

Hoping with the emptying of my nest next fall, I might be able to get out and about a bit more!!
Re: In search of clues in SoCal (Spadra)
Reply to: #981289 by Kelsung
Nov 19, 2019 4:45am
Thread Board
No comment.

K

::::pinch::::

lol
Re: Opinions on best ink pads and experiences w/ different kinds
Reply to: #981268 by shooz
Nov 19, 2019 5:41am
Thread Board
I have a mix of ink pads in my kit, since different stamps and paper will react differently to the inks used. The Versafine black is the only black I'll use - great for detailed stamps, and always a clean imprint. I wasn't aware they came in smaller cubes and in colors other than black and red - thank you for the heads up, everyone!

Joann's had a sale on ink pads recently (buy two, get three free) on those little dewdrop multi-packs, so I stocked up on multiple shades. They work nicely, and have a great edge to provide for multi-color stamping.
Re: Gambling Picassos - Health update
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #981112 by The Merry Pranksters
Nov 19, 2019 8:08am
Thread Board
So sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know.