Search

Read Messages

Re: LTC Game #2
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #981210 by Linden Leaf
Nov 16, 2019 6:20pm
Thread Board
Blue..

except right now I think that green is her favorite for p green frog. :)
Nov 16, 2019 6:28pm
Thread Board
black
Nov 16, 2019 6:33pm
Thread Board
Teal
Nov 16, 2019 6:47pm
Thread Board
white
Reply to: #981217 by Linden Leaf
Nov 16, 2019 7:18pm
Thread Board
Lol!! The game is over. Beetle guessed!! Ahahaha!!
New How-to video for letterboxing!
Board: Letterpods: Hear Here!
Nov 17, 2019 5:43am
Thread Board
Not a podcast, but this is the closest category. I just finished a new video that introduces people to letterboxing. Peacelovepiano and I went out for a hike to find a series and I filmed it to share. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Next week I will be making a video on how to carve lettering!

https://youtu.be/RV9TvTpnXtQ
How to do a Tor
Board: Tools of the Trade
Nov 17, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
Has anyone ever written up a clear set of instructions for how to do a tor? I have a rough idea, but struggle when trying to explain it.
Re: How to do a Tor
Reply to: #981236 by nosox
Nov 17, 2019 7:07am
Thread Board
Easy
Walk into or around a tor
Look in every nook & cranny
Treasure to be found!
Nov 17, 2019 8:07am
Thread Board
Step one: Head to Dartmoor
Step two: Still don't do a Tor! They are annoying!
😋
Reply to: #981238 by RIclimber
Nov 17, 2019 8:23am
Thread Board
dont like tors either
Reply to: #981239 by burning feet
Nov 17, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
Tors are challenging. Each time we have tried we seem to find the "plants" by accident rather than the clues.
opening in winter tracker
Nov 17, 2019 8:46am
Board
We interrupt this program to bring you an informative and important message. There is an opening in the winter tracker which is due Dec. 21. Consider joining https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10125
2019 Letterboxers' Christmas
Board: Event News and Planning
Nov 17, 2019 9:09am
Thread Board
We want to thank everyone who made this event so successful over the past 10 years. Through your kindness and generosity, we brought in about 300 toys and items with yesterday's event. This definitely put us over the count of 5,000 items donated over the past ten years.

Though it was our final one this year, we are going to still support this cause by volunteering with them in the future.

And as we always say,

"TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN A CHILD'S LIFE AT CHRISTMAS!"

Again thank you! Merry Christmas!

Ray and Susan
Happydaze
Re: New How-to video for letterboxing!
Reply to: #981235 by Knits
Nov 17, 2019 10:06am
Thread Board
I have a request for a future video. I can’t find a YouTube on making a camo bag. The written instructions just aren’t working for me. I’ve also studied in the field when I find them but still not understanding how to make the flap.
Thanks
Nov 17, 2019 10:16am
Thread Board
Knits, can I share your video on our Girl Scout service unit page? It would be an excellent starter for a badge they earn.
Reply to: #981240 by KatieKat
Nov 17, 2019 11:29am
Thread Board
Exactly. In my experience, the area is simply torn apart until all (or most) of the stamps are discovered.
Nov 17, 2019 11:51am
Thread Board
Here's my attempt at explaining tors, trying to also include the basics...

A tor is a rock outcropping or hilly peak.

A tor to a letterboxer is a rock outcropping where there are a bunch of letterboxes and the clue to a box is specified by compass coordinates pointing to landmarks similar to the method used at Dartmoor National Park in England. The minimum number of coordinates & landmarks are two, but it is easier for the finder if more are given and even easier for the finder if the type of hiding place is designated. It is best if the landmarks are unique and distinguishable and it is imperative that the compass reading is accurate.

So a clue could be
CLUE #1
20-degrees to twin tree
270-degrees to corner of rock wall

An easier clue would be
CLUE #2
20-degrees to twin tree
85-degrees to oval boulder
140-degrees to very large stump
270-degrees to corner of rock wall
Under log

HOW TO PLANT A TOR BOX
It’s relatively easy to plant a box at a tor.
1. Find a hidey hole and plant the box.
2. Look for distinguishable landmarks that can be seen from that location (at least two, but three to four make it easier).
3. Accurately site the compass directions for each landmark.

BUT it is more of a challenge when finding tor boxes.

HOW TO FIND A TOR BOX
1. Look for one of the landmarks.
2. Find a location where that landmark can be sighted at exactly that compass reading. Imagine a line going straight between the landmark and your position. Walk along this line (either toward or away from the landmark).
3. While walking along this line stop when you can site another landmark at a given compass reading.
4. If all you are given is compass readings, then you get to be like a geocacher and look in every possible hidey spot in that vicinity. If there are more landmarks, then check those before looking.

As for the reality of doing a tor, those who really spend the time to figure out the proper triangulations may find that it is actually quicker to just look in every hidey hole on the tor. Some letterboxers have been frustrated by the experience of looking for every conceivable hidey hole for a given location (kind of like geocaching). The more clues and landmarks, the less frustrating for the finder.
Reply to: #981247 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 12:03pm
Thread Board
Roo, thanks for the informative writing. Do boxes in the Tor at Dartmoor typically have logbooks put in containers or camo bags? It sounds like I might have problems finding one but might find something accidentally. I was just wondering if these accidental finds could be identified.
Thanks
Re: 2019 Letterboxers' Christmas
Reply to: #981243 by Happy Daze
Nov 17, 2019 1:04pm
Thread Board
Yesterday was bittersweet, emphasis on the sweet. Thank you and Susan for all your efforts for the children over these many years.

Would love to find the group in my county to help out here.
Nov 17, 2019 1:09pm
Thread Board
I am so happy that the event went well for all of you. We were enjoying the bitter cold weather of Georgia. 🤣 One day I hope to get back to a New England event. God bless you for your successful endeavor for the children, as well!
Reply to: #981248 by BinoBoxer
Nov 17, 2019 1:11pm
Thread Board
I've never been to Dartmoor. So those who've actually been there are the best sources of info, but according to legendarydartmoor.co.uk, they use waterproof containers.

From what I understand lots find boxes by just poking around tors.
Nov 17, 2019 1:43pm
Thread Board
We want to thank YOU for hosting this event for so many years! Always one of our favorites. It was cold, but so much fun was had all around. Merry Early Christmas to you both! - Hugs, AT
Nov 17, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
Thanks to everyone who had a part in putting it together. It was a lot of fun!
Nov 17, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
We would like to offer our heart felt thanks to you both as well!! Just imagine the eyes of and the smiles of so many children that you have made Christmas morning a special time. Was nice that so many Southern New England friends made the journey as well to support this event.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas to all.
Nov 17, 2019 3:47pm
Thread Board
Great video for a newbie (me!) Thanks for the trouble. But I couldn't get to the clues--unauthorized page.
Reply to: #981249 by Teacup
Nov 17, 2019 3:54pm
Thread Board
SO SO glad we were finally able to attend one of these. A fantastic day of fantastic friends and fantastic stamps. Thank you.
Reply to: #981251 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 3:59pm
Thread Board
All of what you state is true at Dartmoor. We did find boxes by the traditional Dartmoor way and by poking around Tors.There are also a few boxes planted by boxers with clues on AQ.
Nov 17, 2019 4:39pm
Thread Board
Am I the only one who thought it was the internet deep web/proxy browsing? I was aware of the geological formation but definitely thought the internet term first.
Reply to: #981251 by roo
Nov 17, 2019 4:51pm
Thread Board
lots find boxes by just poking around tors.

I'm not sure I see the appeal of that. To me, a large part of the appeal of letterboxing is following the clues to find something that's hidden. If you're not following clues but just scratching around at random, that wouldn't seem as much fun.
Reply to: #981259 by Kirbert
Nov 17, 2019 6:17pm
Thread Board
Spending time among the tors is magical, finding boxes in hidey holes just adds to the experience.