A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: AQ Update
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #979808 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 1:14pm
Thread Board
And I have to refresh the page to get the numbers to change on a button.....

Yeah, the JavaScript has to update too. It'll start working eventually.... Your browser is still using the old CSS (and JS).

I'm not sure how to force your browser to update that, though. Usually a refresh is all it takes, but it could be that your ISP is actually caching the old files which I don't think there's really anything you can do about.

But give it time.... eventually, it will fix itself. Both the large-button problem and the numbers not changing automatically when you click on them. (At least the bolding and unbolding still works with the old files, though, so you can still know the click went through without refreshing the page.)

-- Ryan
Re: interest in a mini meet in central NY?
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #979776 by Red Barn Photos
Sep 28, 2019 3:04pm
Thread Board
October 19th looks good for me.
Reply to: #979816 by Lunarcy
Sep 28, 2019 3:07pm
Thread Board
That just makes me happy :)
Re: gibberish in AQ mail
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979804 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 28, 2019 5:11pm
Thread Board
True dat! I remember a certain cartoonist lamenting the term limits ending a certain presidency because he wouldn't have this rich source of nonsensical verbal thuds to mine for material. He thought his job had been a cake walk for 8 years. I think he even did a farewell montage consisting of nothing but characters holding up quotes.
Printing on fabric
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Sep 28, 2019 5:45pm
Thread Board
I've started following some stamp carving tags on Instagram, and it looks like a lot of artists use their rubber stamps to print on fabric. It looks sooo pretty (I mean, it's Instagram so of course it does)

My mom does a lot of quilting so I'd like to try printing some fabrics for her. Also seems like dish towels and t-shirts would make great gifts or event raffle prizes!

Any of you tried doing fabric prints of stamps before?
Re: Printing on fabric
Reply to: #979820 by Odd Owl
Sep 28, 2019 6:03pm
Thread Board
Would be nice to know what fabric and ink to use also, to minimize bleeding and allow for washing.
Sep 28, 2019 6:10pm
Thread Board
I have make a couple of LTCs using fabric. I used Ranger Archival ink pads. Then heat set it with my embossing tool. I haven't washed them. So not sure how that would be. I mean, they are LTCs.
Re: Happy AQ Anniversary Miss Moon !
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #979740 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 6:33pm
Thread Board
Very rarely any more. Susan is having double bunion surgery soon so it will still be a while. Seems like life has a way of interrupting us! My husband and I do a little poking around when we are visiting our son in Colorado. But we have so many good memories!
Reply to: #979776 by Red Barn Photos
Sep 28, 2019 6:53pm
Thread Board
I *might* have to take my daughter to a hockey tournament in VT that weekend. My husband might also do it since that’s his bag, but in VT they’d stay with my kin so it makes more sense for me to go. I won’t know for a while who is going so just plan the event accordingly and I’ll come if I can! If I can’t come I’ll be thinking of you!
Sep 28, 2019 8:23pm
Thread Board
Yes - I used speedball block printing ink on this canvasy tote material. Things I learned:

You need way more ink on it than paper
Press really hard
Test it out on some scrap material first

It was my first time rolling out ink and using a brayer, which took some getting used to. Try to roll on thin layers and put on many thin layers if needed - better that than thickly and getting it into the carved out spaces.
Sep 29, 2019 12:04am
Thread Board
I don't know what type of ink would hold up to washing.
Sep 29, 2019 1:09am
Thread Board
There are block printing inks specifically for printing on fabric, if you want it to be washable.

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a group called “We love lino prints on fabric” that may be helpful :)
Reply to: #979828 by kudichan
Sep 29, 2019 6:33am
Thread Board
Totally agree with all of what kudichan said.

Speedball makes fabric ink for use with a brayer. It does fade with washing though. I've stamped fabric with brilliance ink & stazon with some success too. Fading over long term is a concern, but i have a stamped quilt from 5 years ago where the stamps are still visible after dozens of washings.

Heat setting is important for any of these methods.
Reply to: #979829 by LROSEM
Sep 29, 2019 6:38am
Thread Board
Are there fabric contents that work better or not so well? Will some inks have more tendency bleed?
Quit letter boxing in Michigan
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Sep 29, 2019 6:42am
Board
The Cross Family has chose to quit letterboxing. ..... We have several bags of "TOPS" fir an event(;or we will Recycle them on our own)!, and We have 2 stamps already carved ready to plant One bfir the GrandRapids metro area ...the other stamp could be planted any where......these are 2 Free Payvut Forward Stamps!.....Oct 29 2019 we would like to have Everything Gone...it was a Interesting few years of Boxing,!
who does this stamp belong to?
Board: State: Indiana
Sep 29, 2019 8:22am
Thread Board
A couple of years ago I was in Indianapolis. Someone gave me a beautiful stamp of Bobby Kennedy. I have been waiting for the perfect spot to plant it. Next week I will be in Washington DC and thought what a perfect place to plant. Now, I cannot find the piece of paper that had the carvers name on it. I want to give him credit. Please help.
Credit for the carver
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Sep 29, 2019 8:23am
Board
A couple of years ago I was in Indianapolis. Someone gave me a beautiful stamp of Bobby Kennedy. I have been waiting for the perfect spot to plant it. Next week I will be in Washington DC and thought what a perfect place to plant. Now, I cannot find the piece of paper that had the carvers name on it. I want to give him credit. Please help.
Sep 29, 2019 8:59am
Thread Board
I used to hand-print Tshirts for a tourist store for a few years. I used Plaid ink. I've got shirts that I've washed hundreds of times with minimal fading. Highly recommend it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/f6638b1c-fb49-486d-bf35-bb77cb136365.jpg
Re: who does this stamp belong to?
Reply to: #979832 by Always On Call
Sep 29, 2019 9:03am
Thread Board
If you got the stamp from TAP it was probably me.
Reply to: #979836 by BBStacker
Sep 29, 2019 9:22am
Thread Board
I am going to go back through my logbook to see if I can find it.
Sep 29, 2019 9:41am
Thread Board
Geez, more than a couple of years, I was there in October, 2014. Just sent TAP an email. Anyway, if it is yours, I will give you credit. Love the stamp. I wanted to find the perfect spot for it. Las Vegas, NV is not the spot. If I knew how to put a picture on here I would.
Sep 29, 2019 9:42am
Thread Board
YEAH!!! I just found it in my logbook. It is your stamp!
Re: PSA: Cellphone in Maine
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #979712 by Green Tortuga
Sep 29, 2019 10:59am
Thread Board
phones, trips to the nail salon and hair extensions,

A phone may have been given to someone by a family member in order to keep in touch (I know this from first hand experience).

Nails and hair extensions can be done by friends who work in beauty salons.

You can't tell how much money someone has just by looking at them because some people try really hard to look like they have more money than they do. Look how many 'wealthy' people lost their McMansions in 2008 because they didn't actually own the house, they had just borrowed a ton of money in order to look like they had money.
Re: PSA: Cellphone in Maine
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #979715 by Bungalow Boxer
Sep 29, 2019 11:05am
Thread Board
It is very obvious this is an opinion and not a fact. BTW, why were you in the welfare/food stamp office. AND, maybe someone nicer than you gave them a phone.
Reply to: #979839 by Always On Call
Sep 29, 2019 11:45am
Thread Board
Excellent!
Reply to: #979842 by BBStacker
Sep 29, 2019 11:55am
Thread Board
Yes, BBStacker was carver and I handed it over to you. Sorry to be late to the party!
Reply to: #979843 by Team Awesome Pants
Sep 29, 2019 12:41pm
Thread Board
Yes, finally found it all in my older log book. Going to plant it next week
How long?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Sep 29, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
Looking at anniversaries I noted a member for 5 years has zero activity (Boxers'n'Briefs). How long does such a trail name/member stay active?
Congrats to christmas6 for Box of the Week
Sep 29, 2019 2:14pm
Thread Board
This was an impressive series to find. I am so happy that we have so many great letterboxers who are planting in the Midwest.
Re: How long?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #979845 by KatieKat
Sep 29, 2019 2:30pm
Thread Board
They logged on 10 days ago. Maybe they don't log their finds online.