Read Messages

Re: AQ Update
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #979793 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 9:51am
Thread Board
Refreshed. Still the same.

What browser are you using?

In any case, I still think your browser is using the old CSS. It'll fix itself soon.

-- Ryan
Re: Guardrail box
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #972856 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 28, 2019 10:03am
Thread Board
Naked!

Love finding sneak naked stamps 😉
Re: Confirmation of Attempt
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979794 by Teacup
Sep 28, 2019 10:30am
Thread Board
I have to wait a week for Walmart to develop disposable camera pictures...

They still develop disposable camera pictures? It's a safe bet they won't do that much longer.

You've waited so long to join the 21st century that things have really developed to a high degree. Presuming you don't want a smartphone, you can probably purchase a video camera that attaches to the back (front?) side of the rear view mirror in your car and continuously records what's going on in front of the car. If you get in an accident, just save the previous minute of video as evidence. If someone does something really stupid, send it to America's Funniest Home Videos for a chance at $10,000. If *you* wanna do something stupid, unclip it from the rear view and attach it to your skateboard helmet or whatnot. And when letterboxing, you can use it to snap some still pics. And it'll probably cost you about $100.
Comment space limitations
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Sep 28, 2019 10:49am
Board
When commenting on an LTC through the tracker “save finds” button, I often cannot complete my comment before I run out of space. That doesn’t seem to be the case if I go directly to the LTC to record the find. Is there a reason to limit the space allowed for commenting under the tracker, and if not, can that space be expanded, pretty please??
Reply to: #979796 by coldsnap
Sep 28, 2019 11:04am
Thread Board
I think it's fine if people log attempts and then move on. Maybe they didn't find it cuz it was gone and maybe they were bad at searching. It’s fine.

Except for the boxer who really wants to find the box, and would like the planter’s help to determine IF they were in the right place, or IF they just missed something in the clues. Or the planter who wants to maintain their boxes, and update status or clues, so that “missing” boxes aren’t just becoming trash in the forest.
Re: gibberish in AQ mail
Reply to: #979779 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Sep 28, 2019 12:03pm
Thread Board
So no actual proof of aliens and the laws of physics pretty much preclude interstellar travel, and yet this guy is an expert?

Well, no way in our understanding for practical faster-than-light travel. Even the proposed FTL methods take too much energy to be practical in our understanding.

The Ender series of books by Orson Scott Card has slower than light travel. They deal with this in interesting ways. They do have FTL communication though.
Reply to: #979781 by Wry Me
Sep 28, 2019 12:06pm
Thread Board
I had to have an interesting conversation with one of my students about why she couldn't research ghosts for her non-fiction paper.

I greatly admire people who find creative and tactful ways to communicate difficult topics to children. You found an interesting way to say, "No."

Politicians, on the other hand, are (nearly) universally despised because they find ways to say nothing using many words.

That brings us back to the topic of this thread, gibberish. ;-D
Re: p green frog - Birthday card requests
Board: State: Illinois
Reply to: #979771 by TeachJR
Sep 28, 2019 12:23pm
Thread Board
Hey - this is a very kind thing to do and I'm more than happy to send a card! But just in case - do you know that this is a publicly viewable page online? Anyone can see the address and it looks like someone's home address.
Want to Host a Nightboxing Event?
Board: Event News and Planning
Sep 28, 2019 12:33pm
Board
We have a collection of stamps from Strictly Nightboxing 4. Do you have plans to host a nightboxing event and could use stamps, or are you an experienced boxer who would you like to plan a nightboxing event? There are fifty-eight stamps in this set that I am happy to loan out. All carvers are okay with having their stamps shared. The theme of these stamps is "Things I Am Afraid Of" or "Things You Are Afraid Of."

Nothing is gory. Nothing is super scary, except maybe one zombie. I would like this set to go away from the southeast region. Please send me an AQ mail message if you are interested. 🙂
Reply to: #979800 by Kirbert
Sep 28, 2019 12:50pm
Thread Board
Will you pay for it? Not everyone feels the need to waste $100 on some junk piece of technology.
(This was typed on my 2004 Windows XP desktop computer. My 2009 "smartphone" is no longer supported and doesn't connect to the internet.)
Reply to: #979797 by Green Tortuga
Sep 28, 2019 12:53pm
Thread Board
What browser are you using?

The latest version of Chrome. Still the same.

And I have to refresh the page to get the numbers to change on a button.....for instance I click on agree after one other person and I have to refresh the page for me to see the #2 appear in parenthesis. Always appeared automatically before. Don't know if this intentional?
Re: Guardrail box
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #972943 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 12:54pm
Thread Board
Metal will eventually rust shut if exposed to enough moisture in the air.

Climate is a factor. In the desert they do well. Rainy, snowy areas, not so much. Pouches have more folds for critters to hide.
Reply to: #979796 by coldsnap
Sep 28, 2019 12:58pm
Thread Board
maybe they were bad at searching. It's fine.

You think it's just fine if someone logs an attempt on your box and it's there?

Ok then.
Reply to: #979810 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 1:00pm
Thread Board
Yeah. I mean, they failed at searching. What am I gonna do? Lol. Worry about it?
Reply to: #979800 by Kirbert
Sep 28, 2019 1:00pm
Thread Board
And it'll probably cost you about $100.

That's a $100 I can spend on gas to go letterboxing.

No thanks.
Reply to: #979811 by coldsnap
Sep 28, 2019 1:06pm
Thread Board
Yeah. I mean, they failed at searching. What am I gonna do? Lol. Worry about it?

Obviously not.
Reply to: #979813 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 1:10pm
Thread Board
I've had a few disagreements with you now - I think we just letterbox in different ways. And that's ok!
Reply to: #979808 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 1:14pm
Thread Board
And I have to refresh the page to get the numbers to change on a button.....

Yeah, the JavaScript has to update too. It'll start working eventually.... Your browser is still using the old CSS (and JS).

I'm not sure how to force your browser to update that, though. Usually a refresh is all it takes, but it could be that your ISP is actually caching the old files which I don't think there's really anything you can do about.

But give it time.... eventually, it will fix itself. Both the large-button problem and the numbers not changing automatically when you click on them. (At least the bolding and unbolding still works with the old files, though, so you can still know the click went through without refreshing the page.)

-- Ryan
Re: interest in a mini meet in central NY?
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #979776 by Red Barn Photos
Sep 28, 2019 3:04pm
Thread Board
October 19th looks good for me.
Reply to: #979816 by Lunarcy
Sep 28, 2019 3:07pm
Thread Board
That just makes me happy :)
Reply to: #979804 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 28, 2019 5:11pm
Thread Board
True dat! I remember a certain cartoonist lamenting the term limits ending a certain presidency because he wouldn't have this rich source of nonsensical verbal thuds to mine for material. He thought his job had been a cake walk for 8 years. I think he even did a farewell montage consisting of nothing but characters holding up quotes.
Printing on fabric
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Sep 28, 2019 5:45pm
Thread Board
I've started following some stamp carving tags on Instagram, and it looks like a lot of artists use their rubber stamps to print on fabric. It looks sooo pretty (I mean, it's Instagram so of course it does)

My mom does a lot of quilting so I'd like to try printing some fabrics for her. Also seems like dish towels and t-shirts would make great gifts or event raffle prizes!

Any of you tried doing fabric prints of stamps before?
Re: Printing on fabric
Reply to: #979820 by Odd Owl
Sep 28, 2019 6:03pm
Thread Board
Would be nice to know what fabric and ink to use also, to minimize bleeding and allow for washing.
Sep 28, 2019 6:10pm
Thread Board
I have make a couple of LTCs using fabric. I used Ranger Archival ink pads. Then heat set it with my embossing tool. I haven't washed them. So not sure how that would be. I mean, they are LTCs.
Re: Happy AQ Anniversary Miss Moon !
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #979740 by MissMoon
Sep 28, 2019 6:33pm
Thread Board
Very rarely any more. Susan is having double bunion surgery soon so it will still be a while. Seems like life has a way of interrupting us! My husband and I do a little poking around when we are visiting our son in Colorado. But we have so many good memories!
Reply to: #979776 by Red Barn Photos
Sep 28, 2019 6:53pm
Thread Board
I *might* have to take my daughter to a hockey tournament in VT that weekend. My husband might also do it since that’s his bag, but in VT they’d stay with my kin so it makes more sense for me to go. I won’t know for a while who is going so just plan the event accordingly and I’ll come if I can! If I can’t come I’ll be thinking of you!
Sep 28, 2019 8:23pm
Thread Board
Yes - I used speedball block printing ink on this canvasy tote material. Things I learned:

You need way more ink on it than paper
Press really hard
Test it out on some scrap material first

It was my first time rolling out ink and using a brayer, which took some getting used to. Try to roll on thin layers and put on many thin layers if needed - better that than thickly and getting it into the carved out spaces.
Sep 29, 2019 12:04am
Thread Board
I don't know what type of ink would hold up to washing.
Sep 29, 2019 1:09am
Thread Board
There are block printing inks specifically for printing on fabric, if you want it to be washable.

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a group called “We love lino prints on fabric” that may be helpful :)
Reply to: #979828 by kudichan
Sep 29, 2019 6:33am
Thread Board
Totally agree with all of what kudichan said.

Speedball makes fabric ink for use with a brayer. It does fade with washing though. I've stamped fabric with brilliance ink & stazon with some success too. Fading over long term is a concern, but i have a stamped quilt from 5 years ago where the stamps are still visible after dozens of washings.

Heat setting is important for any of these methods.