A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: what do you tend to carve?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #979477 by coldsnap
Sep 16, 2019 9:13am
Thread Board
I love carving faces. Some turn out better than others but I'm usually happy with them.
I also find great satisfaction in carving buildings. I don't really *like* to do it. I'm always nervous that I've bitten off more than I can chew. I guess that's why I'm so happy when it turns out nice.
My third favorite would be stained glass windows, but I don't plant at churches as often as I once did. They force me to plan my trips so I avoid planting on a Sunday. Finders have the same issue. (- says all this even though the last letterbox I planted was of a stained glass window & planted at a church)
Re: 21-Gun Salute for Battleship Event
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #979444 by carry on grandma
Sep 16, 2019 9:50am
Thread Board
Glad you had a beautiful day for your event. I spent my first non-rainy, non-sweltering, Saturday in ages trimming trees and bushes in my yard.
Re: Bombstastic Battleship Event
Reply to: #979445 by 4 J's
Sep 16, 2019 10:04am
Thread Board
top notch all the way around, from carves, to clues, to the game and the event boxes!
Reply to: #979502 by Quiet Place
Sep 16, 2019 10:29am
Thread Board
I love carving faces.

Me too...
Mail Select All option
Board: Suggestion Box
Sep 16, 2019 1:04pm
Board
Is there supposed to be a Select All option on the mail screen so that we don't have to click each item we want to move/delete/whatever? I found a reference to it on the message boards, but I can't find it (using Chrome or FF).

If there is not supposed to be one, may we please have one?

I just thought I would clean up my notifications that I should have been deleting all along...

Thanks!
Sep 16, 2019 1:38pm
Thread Board
I carve nearly anything I can get my hands on (minus religious themes), but I tend to find myself doing Kawaii themes for Fleas and Disney for PT's. It seems I almost always find a way to make a PT Disney themed even when the requested themes were different. Aliens? Stitch. Favorite winter activity? Walt Disney World...and so on. hahaha. I do try to mix in other themes though. Luckily my Disney buddy is RIClimber, so when he is around I know someone is into them the way I am. However, if it is a donation, I carve for that. Tbh, I haven't carved and planted a traditional in many years.
Reply to: #979490 by west dover quidditch team
Sep 16, 2019 1:53pm
Thread Board
Ooooh, art nouveau styled stuff would be brilliant to carve!! Must write that down somewhere.
Re: Does size matter?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #979442 by Miss Emily Litella
Sep 16, 2019 2:09pm
Thread Board
Miss Litella, you are so funny. Sorry I missed you when you were on TV.
Re: Bombstastic Battleship Event
Reply to: #979445 by 4 J's
Sep 16, 2019 3:12pm
Thread Board
Agreed -

It was a wonderful event full of fun, creativity, wonderful people and memories- thank you I dig toasters for your passion and dedication to a great theme. Your sailors enjoyed their mission!

Ahoy!
Re: Does size matter?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #979442 by Miss Emily Litella
Sep 16, 2019 4:36pm
Thread Board
The Station Agent (2003)
Board: Movie Moments
Sep 16, 2019 4:37pm
Thread Board
My hubby and I just watched this movie.

It is about 3 different people and how their lives, personalities and problems influence being friends.

It is a gentle movie and one of those that sticks with you for several days in a wonderful way.

Peter Dinklage stars in it (instead of "I drink and I know things", it's more like "I read & watch and know trains").

You really fall in love with all the people.

I highly recommend this lovely movie.

KuKu

P.S. Has anyone else here seen this?
Reply to: #979490 by west dover quidditch team
Sep 16, 2019 4:41pm
Thread Board
Love faces, classics (fairy tale storyboards)

And I'm glad you do!! :^)
Re: The Station Agent (2003)
Reply to: #979515 by KuKu
Sep 16, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
I saw it a few years back. I thought the title was familiar. I had to google to remind myself though. I am a huge film buff so I see a LOT of movies! I liked it a lot. I wasn't toooo familiar with Dinklage before GOT but I've always liked Bobby Cannavale. He's done a lot of really different kinds of roles.
Sep 16, 2019 6:04pm
Thread Board
KuKu! You are back! Welcome back to boxing!

Yosemite
Sep 16, 2019 11:37pm
Thread Board
I tend to carve several of a theme because I host an annual letterboxing event and the theme changes every year. I had never tried carving faces until my Rock and Roll event, and then I did lots. I approach carving faces as a series of lines, not as a face per se, my carving is calmer and I get a better result.

Warrior Woman
who despite this isn’t 100% happy with the beard on her Chris Cornell
Re: Annual Crafting/LTC retreat options
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #978943 by LROSEM
Sep 17, 2019 1:42am
Thread Board
Very late to the party here but ny would work for me too.
Sep 17, 2019 5:05am
Thread Board
Yes, I've watched it several times over the years - as you say, such a gentle and lovely movie!
Grandparents' Day was last Sunday
Board: Yakking It Up
Sep 17, 2019 5:20am
Board
Toward the end of the Sunday service, our Minister asked, "How many of you have forgiven your enemies?"

80% held up their hands. Our Minister then repeated the question. All responded this time, except one man, Walter Barnes.

"Mr. Barnes, are you not willing to forgive your enemies?"

"I don't have any," he replied gruffly.

"Mr. Barnes, that is very unusual. How old are you?"

"Ninety-eight," he replied. The congregation stood up and clapped their hands.

"Oh, Mr. Barnes, would you please come down in front and tell us all how a person can live ninety-eight years and not have an enemy in the world?"

Mr. B. tottered down the aisle, stopped in front of the pulpit, turned around, faced the congregation, and said simply,

"I outlived all them assholes."

Then he calmly returned to his seat.
Sep 17, 2019 6:13am
Thread Board
It's one of my favorite movies and we use several quotes from it in our daily lives!
Like if something is super boring we say to each other, "one of the longest tunnels"
Love love that movie!!
Re: Help with a trip to London, England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979413 by BEBO BEAR
Sep 17, 2019 6:15am
Thread Board
Over the past 6 years hubby has been to the UK 6 times and each time I gave him clues to 1 or 2 boxes close to where he would be visiting. Never found one.
Disclaimer, none of the boxes were on hikes, all of them close by or near to popular tourist sites, like Sterling Castle.
Actually make that 5 times, this year he refused to look, said it was a waste of his time, there were cameras everywhere and he was afraid of getting arrested!
Not to say there aren't available boxes, that was just his experience in the urban/tourist destinations he visited.
Reply to: #979478 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 17, 2019 8:54am
Thread Board
I carve a bit of everything, sticking to a theme for awhile then moving on to the next.
60+ Doctor Who stamps, then around 100 Disney stamps (including 20+ Disney Pinups), then 50+ American History...

I have trouble carving faces too. The problem(?) is that we (as humans) are tuned towards seeing human faces, so we spot irregularities.

I've never had a problem carving faces. It is simply another set of lines to carve. Just more dark blobs and light areas.
Pick a good image, get the best transfer possible, and follow the lines when you carve. Trust that it will work! Don't try to change the image once you start!
Simple is often better when picking an image of a face.

Check out some of my face carvings on my blog, along with most of my other stamps.
http://riclimbersltcs.blogspot.com/
Re: Help with a trip to London, England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979525 by Three FLAmigo's
Sep 17, 2019 9:45am
Thread Board
Thanks, I’ve heard that boxes in the urban areas got “lost” quickly😭. There are a few that have been around and just recently found. She can’t get to the moors with her Mom and she’s not sure of the agenda.(Mom doing tours with your company). Hopefully she’ll get one. Even one from a pub. They might enjoy that.
Reply to: #979519 by Yosemite MJD
Sep 17, 2019 3:05pm
Thread Board
KuKu! You are back! Welcome back to boxing!

Thanks, it's great to be back!

My husband, Red Fox, tore his quadricep muscle a few years ago and hasn't been the same hiker since. He's better now and with the help of friends, we got back to boxing again.

Yay!

KuKu
Reply to: #979526 by RIclimber
Sep 17, 2019 7:58pm
Thread Board
I've never had a problem carving faces. It is simply another set of lines to carve. Just more dark blobs and light areas.

I try to do that too. I do faces okay. However, I haven't done an acceptable open-teeth smile yet; only tried twice. I still put them on the LTCs, but they were a little weird.
Reply to: #978943 by LROSEM
Sep 17, 2019 8:32pm
Thread Board
Where... Western by or eastern? I am not against NY either.
Just in case you're looking for boxes
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Sep 17, 2019 9:34pm
Thread Board
I have recently updated most of my boxes. So the records are up to date, and missing boxes were retired. There are still two at Lockport Nature Trail, [in Western NY] that haven't ever been found yet. Also one in Chestnut Ridge Park [Orchard Park, NY] that was never found.

The clues are updated. I am continually surprised by how much wooded trails change, each year. So many fallen trees!
Re: Just in case you're looking for boxes
Reply to: #979531 by Sunia
Sep 17, 2019 10:01pm
Thread Board
So many fallen trees!

There ought to be a law against trees falling!
Movie Theme Party Supplies
Board: Event News and Planning
Sep 18, 2019 6:49am
Board
I have leftover event decorations in Hollywood/Movie theme. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to ship.
Re: Just in case you're looking for boxes
Reply to: #979532 by Snark
Sep 18, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
There ought to be a law against trees falling!

Wouldn't that just be "The Law of Gravity"?
Reply to: #978907 by Gypsy Fiddler
Sep 18, 2019 8:47am
Thread Board
We have a great Camp area in Southern Indiana. There are cabins and a bunk house and a dining hall that would be great for the actual crafting. It would be $40/person per night. It is located about 5-10 minutes from all kinds of restaurants, but off the beaten path enough that it is really secluded. We would have access to all the outside amenities. The main bunk house holds 36 people and the other cabins holds up to 14 people. I have stayed here for Girl Scout events and the place is great! Plus, it is 15 minutes from Evansville which has a Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joann's and a Scrapbook Den :)

And if not next year, I would be willing to host the following year :)

Here is the link:
http://www.campbrosend.org/facility-usage.html

Lindsey