A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Francis Scott Key's Star-Spangled Banner
Board: History is Alive
Reply to: #979427 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Sep 14, 2019 6:06pm
Thread Board
My favorite has always been when Whitney Houston sang it at the Super Bowl. She is one of the few people who had a powerful enough voice and the range to really nail it that well. I'm sure there are other great versions but that one is my favorite.
Reply to: #979429 by MissMoon
Sep 14, 2019 6:16pm
Thread Board
Ace Frehley does a fantastic electric guitar rendition, too. <3
Does size matter?
Board: Postals
Sep 14, 2019 6:46pm
Thread Board
Hi all! I am doing my first postal tracker this month and I am excited and stressed at the same time! I want to do things the right way so I have read everything I can find about postals. The one thing I am most worried about is the size of my stamp! Is there a standard size for most postal stamps? Mine turned out a bit larger than I planned. It’s around 4.5”x3.5” I didn’t see any rules in the tracker about size, but I wanted to ask to make sure. Also, any tips you veterans may have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Does size matter?
Reply to: #979431 by Bama Beach Bum
Sep 14, 2019 8:04pm
Thread Board
Hi! Generally I think size does not matter. That being said I would put on the information about the postal the size of the stamp so people have an idea what they are getting into (size can make a difference for weight which can influence the cost of postage).

Something to consider...occasionally there is a "newbie postal ring" (or something like that). Designed specifically so folks who are new to postals can be guided and learn about the general etiquette. (Up to you, if you would like to participate, of course :) ).

I think the main thing is...have fun! (I'm excited for you!)
I hope you have a fun day!!!
-PLP
Reply to: #979432 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Sep 14, 2019 10:04pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the suggestions! I sent a message to the host to make sure the size was ok :)
Congratulations kudichan!
Board: State: California
Sep 15, 2019 4:19am
Thread Board
Congratulations for an amazing series of boxes!! Dbare and I couldn't make the event but found these shortly after....all carves were fantastic as was where they were located... brilliant work from all involved!!
Reply to: #979429 by MissMoon
Sep 15, 2019 4:36am
Thread Board
I recently found this version. Love it.
Reply to: #979433 by Bama Beach Bum
Sep 15, 2019 4:51am
Thread Board
Good move to ask tracker owner. That should always be your default move. Tge only problem with size is weight. Each ounce increases the mailing costs. You shoukd try to keep it under i think 13 ounces. At that point it jumps to priority mail.
Re: Congratulations kudichan!
Reply to: #979434 by Public Hand
Sep 15, 2019 6:48am
Thread Board
Congratulations for an amazing series of boxes!!

Woo-hoo for kudichan and her purple diamond!

DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Sep 15, 2019 6:59am
Thread Board
👍 🎉 👏👏👏!
Reply to: #979427 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Sep 15, 2019 7:07am
Thread Board
Beautiful song. If there is a better version than Marc Anthony’s, I haven’t heard it:

https://youtu.be/c8BCp9WgUCE
Sep 15, 2019 7:28am
Thread Board
Does size matter?

What's all this I see about "does size matter"!! This is a family activity!!! There is an adult board for such vulgarly!!
Reply to: #979440 by Miss Emily Litella
Sep 15, 2019 7:29am
Thread Board
Emily, Emily! People are talking about the size of the stamps they are carving and nothing else!
Reply to: #979441 by Chevy Chase
Sep 15, 2019 7:30am
Thread Board
Oh, that's something entirely different . . . . . never mind.
Sep 15, 2019 8:05am
Thread Board
It was a fun event and a great series. The purple diamond was DEFINITELY well deserved! Congratulations!
21-Gun Salute for Battleship Event
Board: State: Missouri
Sep 15, 2019 8:18am
Thread Board
Many thanks to the Captain (Idigtoasters) and her crew for another winning event! I enjoyed the elegant naval themed touches from the name tags to the game itself. It is always fun to socialize with other interesting letterboxers.
Bombstastic Battleship Event
Sep 15, 2019 8:19am
Thread Board
Job well done to I dig toasters for an outstanding Battleship Event. Your hard work and dedication to making it a truly fantastic event really paid off. Kudos to you for all your methodical planning!!
Re: 21-Gun Salute for Battleship Event
Reply to: #979444 by carry on grandma
Sep 15, 2019 8:43am
Thread Board
I agree! Itd created a SHIP SHAPE Event! She went OVERBOARD with every detail! Loved SAILING with all present!
Reply to: #979439 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Sep 15, 2019 9:04am
Thread Board
Ok, everyone is putting their favorite up, so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lCmBvYMRs

Powerful voice that could handle a difficult melody and joy in the presentation.
Re: Bombstastic Battleship Event
Reply to: #979445 by 4 J's
Sep 15, 2019 12:57pm
Thread Board
I second that, and will add the stamps were wonderfully carved, too. In addition, the weather was almost lovely, and there was almost enough shade ;~)
Sep 15, 2019 2:33pm
Thread Board
I would like to add that since it is going in the mail, be also mindful of the size and weight of your logbook, which can up the mailing costs. If the postal is only going to 10 people, there is no reason to make a logbook that has a hundred index cards in it.
Letterboxers at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass!
Sep 15, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
Wow, John Valjean and Dovehen! You are performing in Hardly Strictly! Good for you both! Wish I could come by, but I have previous plans. Have a really fun time!

Yosemite MJD, wanna be ukeleleist
Reply to: #979452 by JampersandJ
Sep 15, 2019 6:07pm
Thread Board
That’s what I thought as well! I did make a thin logbook, because of the amount of people in the ring. Thank you all for being so helpful!!
Re: 21-Gun Salute for Battleship Event
Reply to: #979444 by carry on grandma
Sep 15, 2019 6:52pm
Thread Board
That was definitely an incredible event, thank you IDT!

Also, thank you to everyone who talked with my dad (Creepin' Turtle), it was great for him to get out and socialize and he enjoyed meeting you all.
Sep 15, 2019 8:30pm
Thread Board
Yay! Congrats, kudichan!
what do you tend to carve?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Sep 15, 2019 9:12pm
Thread Board
I find that I tend to gravitate towards certain themes in carving (and more broadly in the art I make). I definitely have a bent towards nature, flora/fauna, natural history. It seems easier than carving faces, faces seem really tough! So I think I should try doing those next, force myself to try the hard stuff :) Part of why I like letterboxing my carves is it moves the rubber OUT of my place and into the world. I don't really need to store 10 different flower stamps in my drawer, right?

What about you? Themes? Do you end up with the same recurring images? Do you feel the urge to carve yet another stamp of the same object despite having done it 39 times? Respectable artistic tradition - just think of Monet and his obsession with the lilies!
Re: what do you tend to carve?
Reply to: #979477 by coldsnap
Sep 15, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
It seems easier than carving faces, faces seem really tough!

I have trouble carving faces too. The problem(?) is that we (as humans) are tuned towards seeing human faces, so we spot irregularities.

What about you? Themes? Do you end up with the same recurring images?

I have been (mostly) carving whatever was needed for the LTC. I have a lot that I should plant. They are mostly cartoon-like images, because that worked for the theme of the LTC. However, I have carved a lot of animals (for alphabet LTCs) so I should especially plant those in a series.
Sep 15, 2019 9:40pm
Thread Board
Thank you guys!! Thanks and congrats to LROSEM, Mu, Linden Leaf, Raven, and Jabber, too, woohoo! Now I just need to get the one box back in action, somewhere...
Re: what do you tend to carve?
Reply to: #979477 by coldsnap
Sep 15, 2019 9:44pm
Thread Board
I can't say that I have a tendency to favor one particular theme or type of image; I like carving in general but I too struggle with faces and also with lettering, so I try to challenge myself and I force myself to do those kinds of carves from time to time. I enjoy carving for events and for ltc's, which usually have chosen themes that dictate my carving. Afterwards, I often plant or re-purpose my stamps, or send them to other parts of the country for future events.
Reply to: #979479 by kudichan
Sep 15, 2019 9:50pm
Thread Board
Big hugs to you!

Sigh, another year of not making it up to NorCal.....