A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

In-between Los Angeles & San Diego
Board: State: California
Sep 11, 2019 12:21pm
Board
Hello All,

The Mystery Host HHH has been relocated, so close to an offramp, and such easy access!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=274524

Great off ramp to get food, a park for the kids to run off energy and to take a break from the traffic. Why not squeeze in a little boxing while you're going up or down the San Diego freeway?

Oh, did I mention that the Innkeeper/Host stamp will change every few months, so you can re-visit again and again? You can ignore the HHs if you want!

Hope you'll visit as you're driving by, or if you're down here in October for the upcoming "Great Outdoors Letterboxing Event"!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4095
East Hampton Airline Trail Sunday September 22 anyone?
Board: State: Connecticut
Sep 11, 2019 12:30pm
Board
Since Bungalow Boxer moved to Florida now I need to find a new hiking buddy for when visiting in Connecticut!
There is a series on the Airline Trail in East Hampton that I'd like to do in addition to some maintenance on our own boxes.
Sunday September 22. Meet either after breakfast or after lunch?
Would anyone care to join me on this hike?
Three FLAmigos
Re: How do you add a box ahead of planting?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #974879 by Janila
Sep 11, 2019 2:51pm
Thread Board
OK, so just to be clear, I can activate a reserved box today and, during the activation process, make the plant date 9/30/19 and it won't show up in searches or in notifications until 9/30?

I just want to make SURE, as I have five newbies helping me plant a number of related boxes on the same trail. We want them to be released on the same day, but in the future because people are going on vacation at different times and need to set it all up in advance. The boxes are already out in their hiding spots, so it is just a matter of making them available at the same time.

Thanks!
Reply to: #979376 by MO UR4Me
Sep 11, 2019 3:03pm
Thread Board
I can activate a reserved box today and, during the activation process, make the plant date 9/30/19 and it won't show up in searches or in notifications until 9/30?

If they are set up in advance as reserved boxes, you will still need to actually activate them on the chosen date and change the plant date on the Basic Details page. You cannot enter a date for the reserved box to all of a sudden become active in the future. If you don't change that date when activating the box, it will reflect the date that you set up the reserved box.

When you change the date to the date that you are activating them, they will appear in the Newest Boxes listing.
Reply to: #979376 by MO UR4Me
Sep 11, 2019 4:30pm
Thread Board
I can activate a reserved box today and, during the activation process, make the plant date 9/30/19 and it won't show up in searches or in notifications until 9/30?

No, if you activate them today, they will be listed for everyone to see immediately--and AQ won't let you postdate a plant into the future. (Well, it'll allow one day in the "future" due to timezone issues, but not three weeks into the future.)

Activate the listings the day you want them to show up in AQ searches. By default, the plant date will be the date you activated them, but you can edit the plant date to be at any time in the past once it's activated.

-- Ryan
Re: Code of conduct
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979370 by GypsyLadybug
Sep 11, 2019 6:03pm
Thread Board
Yes, above all we need to be kind and welcoming. We might disagree about the details but we should try and remember we were all newbies once.
Re: Hocking Hills
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #979247 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
Thank you everyone! We appreciate the tips!!
Re: Hocking Hills
Reply to: #979393 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 6:59pm
Thread Board
Have such a good time.
Metro Parent
Sep 11, 2019 7:16pm
Thread Board
I just stumbled across this article online from March...just wondering if anyone else had seen it? it lists a few letterboxes from some familiar names :)

https://www.metroparent.com/daily/family-fun/family-activities/letterboxing-fun-for-families-in-southeast-michigan/
Re: Metro Parent
Reply to: #979395 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 7:25pm
Thread Board
That is a great article.
100 years Ago - No Cops in Boston!
Board: History is Alive
Sep 12, 2019 7:17am
Thread Board
100 years ago today was the 4th and last day of a strike by the Boston Police officers. The largely Irish-American police force had seen its wages lag badly during the war. Efforts were made to organize in order to gain not only higher pay, but shorter hours and better working conditions. Police Commissioner Edwin U. Curtis refused to sanction a police union and suspended the leaders from the force in August 1919.

On September 9, more than 1,100 officers went out on strike, which removed three-fourths of the force from the city’s streets. In some areas, rabble-rousers looted and rioted. On the following day, Mayor Andrew J. Peters summoned local militia units, which managed to restore order. In anticipation of the strike, all of Boston's newspapers called it "Bolshevistic,"[#] and pleaded with the police to reconsider while predicting dire consequences. This hurt the officers deeply as most of them had fought in World War One, which had ended only 10 months earlier.

Police officers had an extensive list of grievances. Officially they worked ten-hour shifts, but typically recorded weekly totals between 75 and 90 hours, with no overtime pay. They were not paid for time spent on court appearances. They complained about having to share beds and the lack of sanitation, baths, and toilets at many of the 19 station houses where they were required to live. Their pay was $0.25 /hour, considerably less that the average Bostonian civil servant's. According to the US Census, average wages in America at the time were $1.25 per hour.

They also objected to being required to perform such tasks as "delivering unpaid tax bills, surveying rooming houses, taking the census, or watching the polls at elections" and checking the backgrounds of prospective jurors as well as serving as "errand boys" for their officers.

In the 4 days of the strike, 9 people were killed, 8 by the State Guard, who had virtually no experience in crowd control.

Ultimately all of the striking officers were fired, nearly 1200 in all. The replacement officers hired in the wake of the strike received higher salaries and more vacation days than the strikers had. They enjoyed a starting salary of $1,400 ($0.40/hr) along with a pension plan, and the department covered the cost of their uniforms and equipment ($250). So the replacement officers were the beneficiaries of the strike.

[#] Many of the non-Irish officers were Italian, Scandinavian and Canadian. This Bolshevik conspiracy fear focused on non-Americans, and particularly along religious lines.

Sources: Boston Globe and Wiki.

Submitted for your consideration,

Old Blue
Re: 100 years Ago - No Cops in Boston!
Reply to: #979397 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Sep 12, 2019 8:09am
Thread Board
most of them had fought in World War One, which had ended only 10 months earlier.

World War I was also known as the Great War, or described as "the war to end all wars".
Reply to: #979398 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 12, 2019 8:54am
Thread Board
World War I was also known as the Great War, or described as "the war to end all wars".

WorldWarIwasalsoknownastheGreatWar,ordescribedas"thewartoendallwars".
Congratulations NorseGnome on BOTW!
Sep 12, 2019 1:11pm
Board
Hey all,

Did you see that our own NorseGnome got Box of the Week honors for Paradise Nature Trail ? It's a fabulous box and well-deserving of the honor.

Congratulations!
Re: Code of conduct & Brownie Scouts
Reply to: #979352 by Kirbert
Sep 12, 2019 5:02pm
Thread Board
It’s a nice kit. The description says it helps fulfill the last requirement for the badge. There are more requirements - four more - before they earn the badge.

I came into letterboxing with my then-Brownie. She’s a second year junior now, with ~400 finds. She’s much more interested in finding the boxes than stamping and carving. Lol. But as a leader, I try to ensure that all the scouts I go out with know the leave no trace principals, and are respectful of boxes and hiding spots too.
Reply to: #979398 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 12, 2019 5:09pm
Thread Board
described as "the war to end all wars".

I prefer to describe it as part "One" of the World War with a 20 year intermission to follow.
Letterboxers Christmas Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Sep 12, 2019 6:17pm
Board
Still looking for carvers for our event. We are looking for childhood toys stamps and Food postage stamps

Please check the event page for what has carved so far. IF you are interested in carving please let us know

Happydaze
Letterboxers Christmas Event
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Sep 12, 2019 6:18pm
Board
Still looking for carvers for our event. We are looking for childhood toys stamps and Food postage stamps

Please check the event page for what has carved so far. IF you are interested in carving please let us know

Happydaze
Reply to: #979386 by Green Tortuga
Sep 12, 2019 8:54pm
Thread Board
Maybe a new feature (premium member perk?) to allow you to set the activation date/time? I would imagine that event organizers would like that!
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 13, 2019 6:35am
Thread Board
As a Lifetime Girl Scout, previous Brownie leader, avid letterboxer and facilitator who teachs a letterboxing class to adults and girls - I can tell you that the badge requirements are such that the girls are to create their own stamp not purchase one. Perhaps 1. the folks on Etsy should not market these items and 2. troop leaders should know better than to buy them.
Reply to: #979361 by Wry Me
Sep 13, 2019 6:38am
Thread Board
When I teach this to adults, I suggest 1 troop stamp instead of 12 individual stamps. My troop had 1 troop stamp!

It's an education issue.
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 13, 2019 7:03am
Thread Board
Apparently I need to set up an etsy shop and start selling these!
Help with a trip to London, England
Sep 13, 2019 7:06am
Thread Board
My wife, Dusty Walker, is going to London with her mother in October. Her mom will probably be in a wheelchair or a walker for most of their excursions. I don't have an itinerary for her except for London and a trip to Bath; will get more info. I'm looking to provide her with easy to get boxes. AQ's and LbNA's are fairly easy to look up but I would also like her to find a few "real" English boxes while she is there. If you can provide me with any information about London's boxes, I would appreciate it. Hopefully, will provide better logistics soon. You can reply directly to me, but I bet others would find the info helpfull. Happy Hunting & Cheerio
Reply to: #979411 by NLW
Sep 13, 2019 8:46am
Thread Board
When I teach Girl Scouts, I always have them make their own stamps (woodblock and foam) and encourage exchanges. And I do suggest to leaders they have a single troop stamp for boxing in the wild. At camp I let them all stamp in and limit the number of boxes with logbooks (one per series), but at the camps I keep up a pretty good maintenance schedule! I also put ink in all the boxes at camp (letting them know this is not typical in the wild) - I think it prevents more problems that way, but again only because I do regular maintenance (and buy ink pads by the gross/case).

LL
Reply to: #979410 by NLW
Sep 13, 2019 8:47am
Thread Board
I’ve been shopping on Etsy for years and it’s not like it used to be. It’s gotten much bigger with I think different owners than the original people. Many shop owners are unhappy and many have left. You see items that clearly have copyright issues and unless a shop gets reported Etsy allows it to continue selling. They allow sales of lots of stuff that should not be listed and a ton of stuff that is clearly not handmade or original.
Re: Android users of Clue Tracker
Board: Clue Tracker
Reply to: #979027 by MichKathy
Sep 13, 2019 8:57am
Thread Board
Thanks for the feedback! I think this is a problem when you are inside. Could you try the compass outside and let us know if it is less "jumpy"?

Yup, it worked much better outside.
Re: Android users of Clue Tracker
Board: Clue Tracker
Reply to: #979416 by Eidolon
Sep 13, 2019 9:11am
Thread Board
Thank you!
TALE 17 - Texas Annual Letterboxing Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Sep 13, 2019 9:22am
Board
The location has been locked up and the event posted to AQ. Look forward to seeing you all there!!!!
Reply to: #979366 by photopam
Sep 13, 2019 11:20am
Thread Board
Haven't been in Girl Scouts in maybe 10 years or more. I had been enrolled in GS for 34 years. I stopped volunteering as a trainer just after the new journeys program started... but I did help teach a mini event for the service unit we are in about letterboxing. Code of conduct was 1st. It went well and we short term planted boxes for them to find. One of the PIA mom's got mad at the Service Unit Manager (my kid) and told the council that we were teaching kids to sneak and hide things from the community. Oh and lie too. She ended up being a campfire leader...LOL
I Started Teaching Online!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Sep 13, 2019 12:59pm
Board
You may or may not know that I am a Certified Health Coach. I decided to teach classes to childrednonline and just got my first class approved. Here I am plugging myself because I know that a lot of folks here have children. Maybe you will be interested. Maybe you will know of someone who might be interested. Will you please spread the word for me? Here is the class:

Why is Drinking Water Important? 💦

AGES 8-10
https://outschool.com/classes/why-is-drinking-water-important-x0rwO3gS#usxoo1AzJm

AGES 11-15
https://outschool.com/classes/why-is-drinking-water-important-wrQEWjxd#usxoo1AzJm

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I am so excited!

PS For a $20 credit, people can use this link.
https://outschool.com/?signup=true&usid=xoo1AzJm&utm_campaign=share_invite_link