A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Code of conduct & Brownie Scouts
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979297 by Grrly Girl
Sep 9, 2019 1:32pm
Thread Board
With Girl Scouts there are more resources available then just the badge requirements, but in the end it really depends on how the specific council does things. In CT we have a letterboxing patch and reading the code of conduct is part of that patch. We are also putting a kit that leaders can order from council that takes them through all the steps of both the Brownie Badge and the GSofCT Patch. I'm putting the finishing touches on the Leader Guide for the box - I'll double check it and make the code prominent. Many girls in CT learn letterboxing from the Letterboxing hikes we run four times a year our at our Event coming up in a few weeks. And we have our own letterboxing Social site for leaders in CT.

But in general the big problem with Girl Scouts is that each council does their own thing!

LL
Reply to: #979315 by Lowland Lass
Sep 9, 2019 3:20pm
Thread Board
Not that this will go anywhere, but maybe GS national council should add, "Read, discuss and understands the Code of Conduct for Letterboxing" as one of the fundamental steps to earning the badge.
They can write their own Code of Conduct appropriate to the age group.
While I have my magic wand, add a maintenance step.
Can't have the badge until a maintenance check has been done one month after planting.
Reply to: #979315 by Lowland Lass
Sep 9, 2019 4:12pm
Thread Board
But in general the big problem with Girl Scouts is that each council does their own thing!

That is because the badge requirements themselves don't specify these things. I've read them; they are basic in the extreme, and say nothing of retrieving or maintaining the box, or anything more specific than hiding it in the woods -- at least that I recall. It certainly lacks the finer nuances. That leaves it up to the individual councils by default. CT is lucky you are there!
Sometimes the gods smile on a letterbox.
Sep 9, 2019 4:29pm
Thread Board
Usually flood, fire and wild animals destroy many letterboxes. Today I got out late for my bike ride and I had a long debate with myself which route to take. I decided to take a route that has a letterbox in some rocks beside it. As I passed I saw three park workers digging weeds out of the rock pile--which I had never seen for the eight-years of the letterbox's existence. Lying on the ground beside them was the letterbox. I hopped off my bike and grabbed the letterbox. This is valuable I told them and took off. If I had gone at my usual time, if I gone on the other route--the box would have been a goner. Thank you oh quirky spirits who sometimes look over our little game.
Re: Sometimes the gods smile on a letterbox.
Reply to: #979318 by Wronghat
Sep 9, 2019 4:44pm
Thread Board
Wish I could have seen the expressions on their faces! Who was that plastic bandit?! 😆
Re: Hike Type Reason?
Reply to: #979295 by Rocklun
Sep 9, 2019 5:02pm
Thread Board
Noxers tend to get a little annoyed when you tell them that the hike will be short but it turns out to be 5 miles.

I'm confused about what the problem here is. Five miles is a short hike. *scratching head*

-- Ryan, who recently finished hiking 700+ miles
box stamp versus travel stamp
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Sep 9, 2019 5:35pm
Thread Board
Hi - I'm brand new to letterboxing and wondering if we take our own stamp with us on searches, then do we choose a different stamp to put in our own box if we decide to actually place a letterbox somewhere?

thanks!
Sep 9, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
I had a mystery box aside a canal in a rural area. The canal had to be rerouted right where the box was hidden. The engineering crew discovered the box when work began. They took the time to open the box and read the contents. I received an email from one of the crew, and the next day went to retrieve it. They had it all cleaned up and waiting for me.

Warrior Woman
also felt the smile
Sep 9, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
They had merely set it aside while they cleared the weeds. They were planning to put it back when they were done.
No Finders Yet
Board: State: North Carolina
Sep 9, 2019 6:09pm
Thread Board
If you would like to visit the beautiful, historic place that is the Murray's Mill District, nobody has found H or RDHG's box there yet. There are also other single boxes and series there. 🙂

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=304870
Re: box stamp versus travel stamp
Reply to: #979323 by ca29
Sep 9, 2019 6:17pm
Thread Board
If you hover your cursor over the word "Home" you will see links to extensive information and help on how to letterbox, FAQ, how to, glossay, etc. There is a lot of information to be had at these links. Also hover your cursor over "Toolbox" and see the Tutorial link there.

Each person has a personal stamp representing them. It is their "trailstamp". :::That stays with them:::. The image is inked into the logbook of the letterboxes you find.

When you decide to plant a letterbox you will then carve (or buy) a stamp that goes into the letterbox you plant. It will represent the subject matter or location , etc of your letterbox.

Please read the help sections and tutorials here on AQ. Most of your question will be answered there.

You should go letterboxing, find some, and see how others are planted, how clues are written, etc before planting yourself.

Please rehide the boxes well so they cannot be seen.

Welcome to letterboxing!
Re: It's time for season 39!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #979313 by Trekkie Gal
Sep 9, 2019 7:03pm
Thread Board
Now, any questions about the Survivor pool?

Are we playing Snooker or 8 Ball?
Re: Code of conduct
Reply to: #979314 by MissMoon
Sep 9, 2019 7:13pm
Thread Board
Though I do like that idea of people being unable to pick a trail name without reading it.

If that is done, it will need to be short, not the whole Code of Conduct. Perhaps the three most important sentences, as a bulleted list.
Reply to: #979319 by MissMoon
Sep 9, 2019 8:11pm
Thread Board
Wish I could have seen the expressions on their faces!

I wish I could have run behind you screaming, "That's MY dope!"
Sep 9, 2019 8:14pm
Thread Board
Go to an event and learn the ropes that way. Most fun way, for sure.
Re: Standing ovation for Musicals-Stage and Screen Event
Board: State: Illinois
Reply to: #979310 by carry on grandma
Sep 9, 2019 9:33pm
Thread Board
It was a wonderful event and love love the carves. Also the weather was perfect!
Re: Town Pounds
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #979301 by Grrly Girl
Sep 10, 2019 2:54am
Thread Board
I am currently locating all of the Historical Markers in NH. I am also attempting to locate one room school houses, covered bridges, and town pounds along the way. So many of the schools and pounds are disappearing on the landscape. The history of these past schools and pounds are so interesting.
Reply to: #979324 by Warrior Woman
Sep 10, 2019 4:21am
Thread Board
I had a mystery box aside a canal in a rural area

I read this as "I had a mystery box inside a camel..."

Good thing I see my eye doctor this week! But, think of the possibilities!
Sep 10, 2019 5:39am
Thread Board
Welcome! Hope you enjoy letterboxing as much as I do. It’s a great way to get a souvenir if your travels, even traveling for work or kid soccer games! I’ve visited lots of neat spots I’d have never seen if there wasn’t a letterbox there.

It’s exciting to plant a box but I agree with others that you would benefit from finding a bunch first. You’ll see the ways they are hidden, what kinds of spaces are too obvious and should be avoided, different types of boxes and pouches and how durable they are, etc. For example, I donated a stamp to a casual boxer who has left the hobby. From the comments of its finders, it sounds like it was hidden in a garden behind a tree under some palm fronds in a public park. Needless to say, the groundskeepers got it within a month. Also avoid places that invite investigation from “muggles” - interesting clefts in rocks, hollows in trees facing the trail, etc. If it catches the eye someone will look inside! Also, label your box do the geocachers don’t take your stamp and so that well-meaning muggles know to leave the box alone.

Have fun!!!!
AQ bday
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Sep 10, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
Happy AQ birthday Tri-colored paws!
Re: AQ bday
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #979337 by Damselfly
Sep 10, 2019 7:11am
Thread Board
Thank you Damselfly for all that you do. Including the TCP cake that you baked and homemade quilt that you crafted years ago. Who would have thought you'd be craving up a storm today.

Happy Planting :)
Sep 10, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
One saved from the very brink!
Reply to: #979324 by Warrior Woman
Sep 10, 2019 7:31am
Thread Board
I have one out in arizona at a tourist train. Their landscaping crew found it and turned it into the train station office. They then emailed me and asked what they should do? I told them about the game and the rehid it in the same spot. They loved the idea of it pulling in more people!
Reply to: #979316 by Grrly Girl
Sep 10, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
Not that this will go anywhere, but maybe GS national council should add, "Read, discuss and understands the Code of Conduct for Letterboxing" as one of the fundamental steps to earning the badge

I've seen letterboxing kits for scouts for sale on Etsy. Each kit includes a carved stamp, logbook, and container. It seems that some scouts are able to "earn" their badge by buying these kits and hiding them.

I always thought they had to do the work of creating the box but that doesn't seem to be true for all of them.
Re: Hike Type Reason?
Reply to: #979291 by RDHG
Sep 10, 2019 8:34am
Thread Board
There are a lot of boxes for which the planter/lister has not indicated a hike type. I often skip these because I am not able to plan time. I am wondering, though, is there a specific reason for not including that information when listing a letterbox?

If it's an active planter you can always write to them and ask about how long the hike is instead of automatically skipping the box.
Reply to: #979343 by MissMoon
Sep 10, 2019 10:00am
Thread Board
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 10, 2019 10:04am
Thread Board
Is the person selling this a letterboxer? Is seems to go against the spirit of both scouting and Letterboxing.
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 10, 2019 10:12am
Thread Board
Now they just need to find someone to plant the letterbox for them!
Sep 10, 2019 10:18am
Thread Board
This is valuable I told them and took off.

What was their reaction? Too stunned to say anything?
Re: No Finders Yet
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #979326 by RDHG
Sep 10, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
Looks like I'll have to round up some boxers and make a day trip up there this fall! Looks like fun and I've never been!