A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Saturday - nice day for boxing
Board: State: Indiana
Reply to: #978727 by speedsquare
Aug 24, 2019 5:57am
Thread Board
I plan to get a new box in Lynnville when I drop my son off at a bday party. I may check on some of my boxes in the area.
Re: Non-working characters
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #978730 by Kirbert
Aug 24, 2019 8:09am
Thread Board
I am using Chromium (same core as Chrome) on Linux. The problem does not appear for me.

Either:
  1. It doesn't happen on Chromium
  2. It is fixed already
  3. You are pulling some legs
Re: Visiting The Mouse and a Bit Surprised
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #978735 by Quarry
Aug 24, 2019 9:30am
Thread Board
Well here in California at Disneyland they simply just don’t last , we have a few but that’s it - they have cameras just about everywhere in the city of Anaheim I think because disney owns the city ( so I’m told ). It’s pretty crazy !
Reply to: #978730 by Kirbert
Aug 24, 2019 10:09am
Thread Board
"La Tomatina is a festival that is held in the Valencian town of Bu�ol, a town located 30 km inland from the Mediterranean Sea in which participants throw tomatoes and get involved in this tomato fight purely for fun. It is held on the last Wednesday of August, during the week of festivities of Bu�ol."

This is what some of it looks like to me. The word "Buol" has a ? inside a black diamond between the U an O as if one of them should have a character over the top of them.
Re: Boxing advice needed for Albuquerque area
Board: State: New Mexico
Reply to: #978686 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
I always love boxes by wronghat! Creative carves, often humorous, and usually educational.
Reply to: #978739 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 11:05am
Thread Board
Oh! That is what you mean. I thought you were talking about the actual "About Theme" characters.

I see the same thing then. Here it is with the text characters replaced:

==Origin==

In 1945, during a parade of gigantes y cabezudos, young men who wanted to be in the event staged a brawl in town's main square, the Plaza del Pueblo. Since there was a vegetable stand nearby, they picked up tomatoes and used them as weapons. The police had to intervene to break up the fight, and forced those responsible to pay the damages incurred.

The following year the young people repeated the fight on the same Wednesday of August, only this time they brought their own tomatoes from home. They were again dispersed by the police. After repeating this in subsequent years, the party was established. In 1950, the town allowed the tomato hurl to take place, however the next year it was again stopped. A lot of young people were imprisoned but the Buñol residents forced the authorities to let them go. The festival gained popularity with more and more participants getting involved every year. After subsequent years it was banned again with threats of serious penalties. In the year 1957, some young people planned to celebrate "the tomato's funeral", with singers, musicians, and comedies. The main attraction however, was the coffin with a big tomato inside being carried around by youth and a band playing the funeral marches. Considering this popularity of the festival, 1957 saw the festival becoming official with certain rules and restrictions. These rules have gone through a lot of modifications over the years.

Another important landmark in the history of this festival is the year 1975. From this year onwards, "Los Clavarios de San Luis Bertrón" (San Luis Bertrón is the patron of the town of Buñol) organised the whole festival and brought in tomatoes which had previously been brought by the local people. Soon after this, in 1980, the town hall took the responsibility of organizing and making the festival big.

==Description==

At around 10 AM, festivities begin with the first event of the Tomatina. It is the "palo jamón", similar to the greasy pole. The goal is to climb a greased pole with a ham on top. As this happens, the crowd works into a frenzy of singing and dancing while being showered in water from hoses. Once someone is able to drop the ham off the pole, the start signal for the tomato fight is given. Several trucks loads of tomatoes are brought to the Plaza del Pueblo. The tomatoes come from Extremadura, where they are less expensive and are grown specifically for the holidays, being of inferior taste. For the participants the use of goggles and gloves are recommended. The tomatoes must be crushed before being thrown so as to reduce the risk of injury. The estimated number of tomatoes used are around 150,000 (over 40 metric tons.) After exactly one hour, the fight ends with the firing of a second shot, announcing the end. The whole town square is colored red and rivers of tomato juice flow freely. Fire trucks hose down the streets and participants use hoses that locals provide to remove the tomato paste from their bodies. Some participants go to the pool of "los peñones" to wash. After the cleaning, the village cobblestone streets are pristine due to the acidity of the tomato disinfecting and thoroughly cleaning the surfaces.

This would seem to indicate that this page was written back when non-ASCII characters were composed differently. With modern browsers they are done with Unicode, usually UTF-8. This page needs to be updated.
Reply to: #978741 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 11:08am
Thread Board
Yes, that is what we are talking about... And I kind of thought one of the computer nuts (geeks) would have the answer and maybe the fix...
Reply to: #978739 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
When I get AQ mail from one particular person her messages always show up like that with the questionmark symbol.
Re: Is System now posting on his/her/its own?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #978717 by MissMoon
Aug 24, 2019 11:16am
Thread Board
Ooh I want that trick. :)
Reply to: #978738 by brailleboxer
Aug 24, 2019 11:48am
Thread Board
Also Florida in general is a challenging place for letterboxing. I have boxed in Orlando in the past and so many parks and/neighborhoods are just too manicured. Or there are just not the right kinds of trees or ground cover to hide a box for very long. Just one hurricane storm comes through and boxes get flooded out or the trees are all down and cleared and boxes disappear. (even inland like in Orlando) The majority of my boxes that I have had go missing and had to retire are those that I planted in Florida. I lived in Tampa/St. Petersburg area for two years and also have family still in Florida, so I have often been down there for letterboxing. I know Bungalow Boxer has moved down there now (in Orlando area) and has been lamenting the lack of a big letterboxing scene --since they came from the Connecticut area!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Bela box
Board: State: Maine
Aug 24, 2019 12:51pm
Board
Has anyone found the 'Bela' box by Maine Kokapellian in the Smith Cemetery in Windham. Please contact me privately.
Reply to: #978742 by ST-Ranger
Aug 24, 2019 2:43pm
Thread Board
I kind of thought one of the computer nuts (geeks) would have the answer and maybe the fix...

The geeks we need are Wassa and GT. Do we trust that they will fix it?
Re: Mystery Postal #420 solution and explanation
Board: Postals
Reply to: #978728 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 3:14pm
Thread Board
Thanks for all that attempted guesses. Hopefully seeing these explanation will help for future attempts.

The solution is Walt Disney Company

Clues:
1 ESPN = Disney owns ESPN This also set the tone of sports related theme.
2. 4 = Disney was ranked 4th by Fortune list of world's most admired companies. Also 4th on Forbes list of world's best employer. This also continues a sports theme. Expected NCAAF championship of NCAAM final four.
3. Jackson Five Song = ABC which is another company owned by Disney
4. Fe = Felt answers were getting too obvious so had to be a little devious. This clue was to get you to Marvel which is owned by Disney. Fe is for Ironman. If you look back at the post it includes a few sentences. Included in there was the word marvel. This also led to several going for the Iron Bowl continuing the football theme.
5. Anaheim - Reference to the location of Disneyland. Was hoping the sports theme would continue with someone looking for #4 on the Angels or Ducks roster. Oh yeah the Mighty Ducks also were previously associated with Disney. Was also considering Orlando for this clue.
6. Subsidiary - This clue got you thinking about companies. Also the sentences on the post included several Pixar films. Pixar you guessed it owned by Disney.

I often comment that Amazon and Disney are taking over the world.
Reply to: #978747 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 3:21pm
Thread Board
The geeks we need are Wassa and GT.

We are the geeks AQ deserves, but not the geeks AQ needs right now.

Ok, maybe we are. Fixed.
Reply to: #978749 by wassamatta u
Aug 24, 2019 3:24pm
Thread Board
Ok, maybe we are. Fixed.

Thanks! That was quick.
Reply to: #978748 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 4:20pm
Thread Board
Excellent, I.R!
I was dancing all around it, but just could not grab it. Hoping for next time. 8~)
Reply to: #978747 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 24, 2019 4:32pm
Thread Board
The geeks we need are Wassa and GT.

To be clear... I'm "the geek". GT is "the non-working character".
Re: Is System now posting on his/her/its own?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #978723 by MissMoon
Aug 24, 2019 5:36pm
Thread Board
an individual thing or person regarded as single and complete but which can also form an individual component of a larger or more complex whole.
"large areas of land made up of smaller units"
synonyms: component, part, section, element, constituent, subdivision, portion, segment, module, item, member, ingredient, factor, feature, piece, fragment; More
a device that has a specified function, especially one forming part of a complex mechanism.
"the gearbox and transmission unit"

so, yes I have a unit and it's a whopping 5000 BTUs.
you must be sooooo jealous
wanna see it?
Re: Box themes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #977948 by Wry Me
Aug 24, 2019 5:37pm
Thread Board
Yes. I don't like religious stamps much or stamps in businesses. There are exceptions to this if the place is quirky and unique enough and my friend is interested as well, and they are planted outside.

This is why, if I plant one with religious stamp/theme, I put in the clue that it is religious.

I don't want people who don't like religious boxes to be surprised.

KuKu
Reply to: #978004 by coldsnap
Aug 24, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
Never mind - I think it was an LTC. Sorry! Misremembered.

Yep, my LTC. ;^)
Reply to: #978754 by KuKu
Aug 24, 2019 5:48pm
Thread Board
This is why, if I plant one with religious stamp/theme, I put in the clue that it is religious.

I don't want people who don't like religious boxes to be surprised.

Thank you! I've looked for religious stamps but agree that many folks would prefer to know that ahead of time.
Who would do these boxes!
Aug 24, 2019 6:32pm
Thread Board
We have now started out on a new crazy venture. We started it last year with a box at every exit from Kingman Arizona to needles California. Approximately 60 miles and 15 boxes. We had good results with people getting them all. So now we are getting ready to expand this! Kingman Arizona to flagstaff Arizona. Adding another 150 miles and 35 more boxes. Would you do it? Would your carmates be excited or think are we done? We are doing this and know it’s crazy but think it’s fun too!

My real question is what crazy things are you doing and would you want to do something like this in your area to break up long car rides?
Re: Who would do these boxes!
Reply to: #978759 by 66gypsies
Aug 24, 2019 6:47pm
Thread Board
Hi 66gypsies,

I think all letterboxers are a bit different about what they are looking for. When I am on a road trip, I like to get as many boxes as I can along a scenic or historical route, but if there are too many boxes for the comfort level of my noxer husband :), I will choose the boxes that are at spots that are significant and not just a quick driveby under a lightpost. So maybe a scenic overlook, a historical marker, or an interesting roadside attraction is where I would stop first so that my husband can enjoy the location also.

What am I trying to do that is crazy? Well, every year I try to think of a new twist on letterboxing and a type of theme to introduce letterboxers to either really cool locations or some cipher fun. My newest kick in the last year is trying to get at least 1 letterbox planted in every Michigan county. I have boxes in 62 counties out of 83, leaving 21 to go. I have carves for 10 more which I hope to get planted yet in 2019 and those will complete Michigan's lower peninsula.

Carry on, letterboxers!
AW
Reply to: #978745 by Amanda from Seattle
Aug 24, 2019 6:50pm
Thread Board
Here in Florida, the places that are public lands and natural are often so because they are flood-prone. 40 years ago some clown tried to build a housing development in Payne's Prairie which was a lake at one time and may be again someday. The hubbub caused the state to get off the pot and pass some regulations against development in flood-prone areas, which of course led to the value of such land plummeting so the state could buy it up cheap for parks and wildlife management areas.
Reply to: #978760 by Angel Winks
Aug 24, 2019 6:53pm
Thread Board
We have this in Arizona too one in each county the shape of the county and when all found it makes the state of Arizona. We have fun going to new areas and knowing the state we live in. I love it! Hope all is good in Michigan
Julie and Dave
Reply to: #978748 by IrishRef
Aug 24, 2019 7:56pm
Thread Board
Oh, I was thinking "4" was for the four original "lands" at Disneyland:
Tomorrow Land
Adventureland
Frontierland
Fantasyland

:)
Aug 24, 2019 8:38pm
Thread Board
Yes! I will search for them. I plan to be in your area the first week of January. ❤
Aug 24, 2019 9:36pm
Thread Board
I would do it if I lived in the area.
Aug 24, 2019 9:44pm
Thread Board
We are doing this and know it’s crazy but think it’s fun too!

Sounds like you are doing it for all the right reasons. :-)

We are actually planning a trip out that way, so will keep an eye on the boxes. I don’t know if I can convince the family to make that many stops, but I know there are some people who would.
Episode 2 is now available
Board: Letterpods: Hear Here!
Aug 25, 2019 1:31am
Board
Well, it's been an embarrassingly long time since I posted the first episode of my cryptozoology podcast, but I have not given up.

Episode 2 can be found here.