Reply to: #978444 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 17, 2019 9:28am
Thread Board
Events in History
Bookmarking a message
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Aug 17, 2019 9:37am
Thread Board
I can't remember how to bookmark a message from the boards.
Can't find it in HELP.
Please, remind me.
Re: Bookmarking a message
Reply to: #978447 by Grrly Girl
Aug 17, 2019 9:53am
Thread Board
Click the first of the four symbols in the center at the bottom of this message.
Re: Bookmarking a message
Reply to: #978448 by Kelsung
Aug 17, 2019 10:19am
Thread Board
what will happen if I do five?
do I do four from the right or left?

I only see two symbols, unless you're counting Moose und Squirrel.

Oh, you mean those symbols.
Thanks.
Re: Okay, you have piqued my curiosity.
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #978441 by RDHG
Aug 17, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
Check today's anniversaries.

TG
Re: Muggle Cards in Spanish?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #978436 by Public Hand
Aug 17, 2019 10:56am
Thread Board
Google translate makes an understandable translation, but its translations are not beautiful. That it exists is beautiful.

A human who is a native speaker should always have the final say.
Reply to: #978451 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 17, 2019 11:08am
Thread Board
While I agree that some of the translations can be a bit iffy, French is absolutely magnificent on there (yes I'm a native speaker) and, according to our housekeepers, the Spanish is excellent.
Reply to: #978450 by Trekkie Gal
Aug 17, 2019 11:09am
Thread Board
So, are you saying Wassa’s anniversary, and the day AQ went downhill are connected??? GASP!!!!
Like Zombieland? Like postals?
Board: Movie Moments
Aug 17, 2019 11:10am
Thread Board
Re: Like Zombieland? Like postals?
Reply to: #978454 by Angel and Demon
Aug 17, 2019 11:51am
Thread Board
You are now officially my best friend. I will always check your back seat!

Errr...LB boards and Zombieland humor don't necessarily combine well!
Re: Age or Inactivity to Attempt?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 12:59pm
Thread Board
City boxer - generally after no one finds it after 3-4 years. They just are so likely to be destroyed.
Reply to: #978452 by Public Hand
Aug 17, 2019 1:26pm
Thread Board
We have met and I was unaware that you are a native speaker of French.

I would still have a native speaker look over any translation though.

I only use Google translate on Spanish and Portuguese to get the words I am not familiar with. My recent experience with Google translate on longer texts is from putting logs from caches I watch through the process: German or Dutch to English. They are a rough. And for the Ape cache in Brazil, there are surprisingly few logs in Portuguese, mostly English and German.
Reply to: #978445 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 17, 2019 1:58pm
Thread Board
Just know that a long unfound box probably won’t be there

You’re assuming it won’t be there? Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case. I think broad statements like that discourage people from making the effort.
Reply to: #978453 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 17, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
So, are you saying Wassa’s anniversary, and the day AQ went downhill are connected???

It's too much of a coincidence to be ignored.

TG
Reply to: #978458 by MissMoon
Aug 17, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

I think there’s a correlation to the location. A box on a short walk in a high-traffic area or an urban box that hasn’t been found in years, is “probably” no longer there. But a box at the end of a long hike into a remote area, is quite likely to still be there, with long periods between very few finders.
Re: Like Zombieland? Like postals?
Reply to: #978455 by foxfriend
Aug 17, 2019 3:22pm
Thread Board
Having someone to check the back seat is invaluable!
Reply to: #978457 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 17, 2019 3:53pm
Thread Board
I did my translation with both a Cuban and Mexican friend, so I feel confident it’s understandable no matter the persons origin. Alas, it’s saved on my work computer so I’ll share it with whoever wants to see it on Monday.
Reply to: #978458 by MissMoon
Aug 17, 2019 4:54pm
Thread Board
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

Maybe, maybe not. I bet stats would bear me out if they were kept... at least in my case they do.

But as Wise Wanderer points out, it depends. If your goal is to find every box you search for you have to use a little common sense.

Personally, I don’t use long ago “last found” dates as a prerequisite for my searches. From what I read that’s a common attitude around here.

YMMV.
;~)
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 6:33pm
Thread Board
I once went after a box that was planted in 03/05, found a couple times, then reported missing after an attempt was logged in 8/05. The planter had/still has it tagged MISSING next to the box name on LbNA, which was where I had printed my clues. Not sure how I didn't notice all that, but I went looking for it anyway. I found it in Feb 2016, right where the clues said it would be, missing the pile of sticks because the tree had grown around the box. That was the best.
Letterboxers Christmas Event
Board: State: Maine
Aug 17, 2019 6:36pm
Board
We are looking for carvers for our last Letterboxers Christmas Event. Stamps of food. Any food. In the shape of a postage stamp. This will be our last event. Lets go out with a bang!

Anyone that has any other ideas to make this an event to remember just let us know. Thank you in advance for any help. And thank you for making all our Christmas events an success for the kids.

Happydaze
Reply to: #978434 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 6:38pm
Thread Board
one was missing from where we supposed it should be, the other had missing landmarks to even get to it.

I feel your pain. I struck out many, many times recently. Even worse because I was showing my noxer friend how we do it. Ha!

Because I often seek older boxes with no luck, and because many times the landscape has changed significantly, I have evolved in how I plant boxes now. I rely less on landmarks that will inevitably change in favor of compass headings whenever possible, and I'm not in a hurry. I don't plant in stumps or fallen logs (except maybe close to home if I were going to maintain it). At least this way, you stand a chance of knowing which stump-that-used-to-be-a-tree is the one you're looking for.
Re: Email scam used my old LBNA password
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #978413 by MO UR4Me
Aug 17, 2019 8:16pm
Thread Board
I've gotten the same email with my old LbNA password too. *nodding*

It'll probably never stop. Once the password was dumped to the dark web, they'll keep trying to use it to scam you for eternity.

Unless you change your email address. Then they'll keep trying to scam you at your old address. At least until the next hack happens.... (And there will be more!)

-- Ryan
Peace Out
Aug 18, 2019 4:51am
Thread Board
Big THANK YOUS to ATVRacer, Jiffy, Mud, and teacup for all the work that you put into making this weekend's Woodstock 50 event lots of fun. It was a unique and beautiful area to visit and the themed series were super. (I personally need to come back again to finish some of them!)
Re: Peace Out
Reply to: #978468 by Basset Mom
Aug 18, 2019 5:28am
Thread Board
Yup, the downside to being on a committee is having to go back for the series because of chatting folks up at event central. Of course, that is fun in and of itself!
New signature stamp... finally
Board: State: North Carolina
Aug 18, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
Guys. It finally happened. I carved myself a new signature stamp!

For context, my previous signature stamp I made in 2007. It was the first stamp I ever even attempted to carve, but it turned out cute so I kept it. I also haven't been super active in letterboxing over the years so I just never bothered to change it.

Guess it's time to go stamp into a box somewhere now :)
The FPS...
Aug 18, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
Sorry we missed exchanging with you... picked up your birds at Andover... saw them around Woodstock... but missed exchanging with you. Maybe an alias? Someone from CT possibly who knew what those initials stood for???

Hope to catch an exchange the next time you fly north...
Re: The FPS...
Reply to: #978471 by mudflinginfools
Aug 18, 2019 6:39am
Thread Board
Ditto!!!
Mystery Postal #420 is now open
Board: Postals
Aug 18, 2019 7:48am
Board
Mystery postal tracker 420 is now open for solving. Check out he tracker below for information and directions of how to participate and make guesses. Check back each day on this postal message board for additional clues. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Clue 1 = ESPN

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10292
Re: New signature stamp... finally
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #978470 by Odd Owl
Aug 18, 2019 8:16am
Thread Board
Great stamp!!!
A different kind of tracker
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Aug 18, 2019 9:37am
Board
Gift tags for Christmas:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10293

Any questions? And if it fills up and there's more interest - I'll start a second group.

thanks
Kathleen