Aug 15, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
And green, even.
Re: Where to leave a hitchhiker
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #977953 by TeachJR
Aug 15, 2019 1:24pm
Thread Board
I love this idea. I thought about making a HH Hostel and asking our local coffee shop or another local library if we could place it there. I wanted to do a box stamp with it and love the idea of calling it an innkeeper, Great word!
New Tracker--Hello Kitty
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Aug 15, 2019 2:03pm
Board
Re: Apparently, I Saw Ryan Yesterday
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978382 by Topcollector
Aug 15, 2019 4:11pm
Thread Board
"Nodding" 🐢
Re: Where to leave a hitchhiker
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #978383 by The Mischievous Four
Aug 15, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
Bama Beach Bum and I made our 1st HH hostel & stocked it with a traditional stamp & a few starter HHs. After only being out 6 months & in a good park location, in the woods bordering the river, low & behold the park people decide to do a MAJOR park redo. They brought in a Bobcat & cleaned all the underbrush about 150 foot in the woods.
Yep, you guessed it. Our 1st hostel was a casualty of park expansion. Sadly, no idea which HHs were in it.
But, we persevere & plan another hostel. Maybe it will fair better.
One Does Not Simply Walk Into Mordor
Board: Yakking It Up
Aug 15, 2019 8:18pm
Thread Board
Re: printing maps
Board: OpenStreetMap
Reply to: #978374 by MissMoon
Aug 15, 2019 10:48pm
Thread Board
Had a long day of running around with life today... but found a bit of time to try that tutorial again... and yes I found a small trap... but this time I was a bit more awake than this morning and was successful at creating a long list...

The bit I missed was what he was copying and pasting into the notepad...
You have to copy the URL in the top line... connection or whatever... the one that shows where you are or want to go... where you can type the URL...
first the original map URL and then the second Map URL... to allow for errors, I made a third Map... URL... and did the cut and splicing into that one (only so I could back up and not have to start over...) You only need the string of place names... leaving out the one that is a duplicate... then clean up the line by fixing anything else duplicated or omitted... like slash marks between...
Then you copy the URL (all of map three) and paste it into Gmaps in that line and there is your extended route... actually simple but was confusing since I was just copying the names in the lists... and spicing that... no good... small goof.

I did about eighteen names... will play some more but read this and watch the video again and it will make sense... it's all stored in the line... not the list.
Re: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Reply to: #978321 by Eidolon
Aug 15, 2019 11:17pm
Thread Board
Ok, thanks! I didn't know that about custom location. Sometimes I don't know how great my clues are xD so I like to include the pin as a starting point. Haha.
Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Reply to: #978309 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 15, 2019 11:22pm
Thread Board
That's why I'm thinking a major passenger airport. Have you considered somewhere around the SLC airport? I know airports are tricky because they're pretty crowded, and then there are security concerns about hiding unmarked boxes around... but maybe somewhere off of Redwood Rd. or North Temple or somewhere nearby - a spot where someone to/from the airport with a few minutes of extra time could conveniently stop.

One disadvantage of letterboxes compared to geocaches is that they tend to be bigger, since they need room for the stamp. HHHs need to be even bigger to be able to host multiple stamps, thus the camo bag solution wouldn't work.

I lived in SLC about 10 years ago and am not too familiar with that area today, but just a thought I figured I could suggest.
Doll's Head Trail
Aug 16, 2019 4:32am
Thread Board
I heard rumors that there may be some letterboxes on or near this trail which was featured on CNN yesterday!
Doll's Head Trail
Re: Doll's Head Trail
Reply to: #978392 by Janila
Aug 16, 2019 5:26am
Thread Board
Yes, there are a few. Some landmarks had changed and I was with noxers who just didn’t the patience to walk back and forth multiple times over the same bit of trail. I found 2 but had printed out clues for a few more.With or without boxes it is a great place to visit.
MizS
Reply to: #978391 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 16, 2019 6:45am
Thread Board
I don't live close enough to properly maintain it. I also don't know where a good place would be. Perhaps one of the boxers in SLC would do it.
Re: Doll's Head Trail
Reply to: #978393 by Mizscarlet
Aug 16, 2019 6:55am
Thread Board
There are two that list that location, and also atleast a couple mysteries there (I planted them so I can say that). Its a fun and strange little trail, but heads up large parts (the boardwalk and south side if the loop) might be underwater if its rained recently.
Reply to: #978102 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 16, 2019 6:55am
Thread Board
If you send me the link to the HHH in San Antonio I can check up on it.
Re: One Does Not Simply Walk Into Mordor
Reply to: #978388 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 16, 2019 7:05am
Thread Board
Awesome shirt design! Looks like the design style for yak and yeti at Disney world 😝
Age or Inactivity to Attempt?
Aug 16, 2019 9:59am
Thread Board
Just curious of people's opinions. At what point do you consider a box to be dead, even if it isn't missing? I mean let's say a box was last found 6 years ago, there are no failed attempts shown since then. But still, 6 years. Where's your cutoff? Or do you even have a cutoff?
Re: Age or Inactivity to Attempt?
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 16, 2019 10:16am
Thread Board
I wouldn't set a time limit since last found to determine whether a box might still be there. Some boxes are in remote areas that rarely get hunted for.

One awesome example was a box my pals and I found earlier this year. It had never been found in the nine years since it had been planted. And the planter was sadly deceased. But one of our group found the box in great shape, a little bit away from where it had been originally planted, and we were the first ones to stamp into that logbook. You just never know.
Aug 16, 2019 10:19am
Thread Board
From the viewpoint of the planter, or a potential finder?

As a finder, if I had the time, I would still go look for it. All the sweeter if it was actually found :)
Aug 16, 2019 10:36am
Thread Board
Cutoff?!? I seek those boxes out specifically... I’ve found dozens of forgotten boxes that hadn’t been found in 4 or 5 years, a few that hadn’t been found in 7 or 8, and one that hadn’t been found in over 10.

Most people don’t want to hike, and they don’t want to solve clues. When 3 of us hiked up to the Mt Baldy box in 2013, we were only the third group to make the journey since 2002. Very rewarding experience.

Just a couple weeks ago I found a box with a vague starting point that hadn’t had a find in 4 years. I also found a 2 year old box about a stones throw away at the same location with simple directions and dozens of finds. Which do you think was the more rewarding experience?

I met the first finder on a 12 year old Mapsurfer box. He has some that still haven’t been found. Cutoff? Never!

K
Aug 16, 2019 11:04am
Thread Board
No cut off date.
The thing that will stop me is my ability vs. the trail.
There are a few boxes near me planted on a trails that are beyond my hiking ability.

Things that will stop me from searching for an old, never found box:
1. A search that is in a very dicey area safety wise. Think guardrail on the side of a highway with nowhere to park or safely walk.
2. The planter is known for "flinging" boxes into bushes in high traffic areas. Never had a find nor a recorded attempt, I probably won't bother going out of my way to look.
Aug 16, 2019 11:10am
Thread Board
From a planter’s perspective: if it’s a box I can check on, I will do a maintenance check on it, and then it shows up as currently active. If it’s too far away to visit, I simply let it go . . . unless I get a report from a seasoned boxer who searched thoroughly and is certain it’s gone missing (or reports that the area has been renovated, etc.). Even then, I will change the status to “unknown”.

As a finder: I have limited ability for endurance-heavy outings. So I will look for any age box, UNLESS the comments indicate one or more boxers “searched thoroughly” and couldn’t find it. Then, whether it’s old OR new, I will probably skip it.
Aug 16, 2019 11:21am
Thread Board
My buddy and I recently found a box that hadn't been found (or attempted, as far as I know) in 14 years. That was one of my favorite finds ever!
Letterbox Type mistake
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Aug 16, 2019 12:10pm
Thread Board
Hi, I’m new to the blog, I’m very sorry to bother but I made a stupid mistake. While activating a letterbox that was reserved I hit by mistake the traditional type, while the letterbox I planted is a Hitchhiker. I’m so very sorry I made this stupid mistake, is there a way to fix it? Can somebody fix it please? Thanks in advance for being understanding, Virginia
Re: Letterbox Type mistake
Reply to: #978408 by papoteam
Aug 16, 2019 12:49pm
Thread Board
You can't change the type of letterbox, so you'll have to delete the hitchhiker and relist it as a traditional. I'd suggest doing the traditional listing first so you can copy the clue and location and stuff from your hitchhiker listing. Then when your traditional listing is all done, go ahead and delete your hitchhiker.

Here's a Help Page with more info.
Reply to: #978408 by papoteam
Aug 16, 2019 12:53pm
Thread Board
As an admin, I can change it. However, I need to know which box you want changed, thanks!
class for Brownies at Babler State Park
Board: State: Missouri
Aug 16, 2019 2:17pm
Thread Board
Thanks to Carry On Grandma for the heads up about this class:
http://www.prcommunityed.org/bableroec/scouts/Pages/GirlScouts.aspx

I have emailed the person in charge and offered my/our help in making it a good class. I sent my class outline, samples of hand-carved stamps and more. I am willing to go out there for the class if they ask. I also offered real letterboxes to use for the girls to find, but if they take me up on it, I would love help in finding the hiding spots and writing the clues (they may have done that already). It's not until November, so there is no rush but I wanted to put it out there in case anyone else sees their program ad.

Maybe the guy will go letterboxing with me and someone else out there to see what it's really like. When it's not so hot, of course.
Reply to: #978410 by wassamatta u
Aug 16, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
Ohh thank you so much!!! Okay, the letterbox is the #308367 and the name is The Round-Leaved Sundew, owner me (papoteam) and planter me. Thank you for your help!
Email scam used my old LBNA password
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Aug 16, 2019 2:27pm
Thread Board
Just putting this out there so that anyone who is not aware of this SCAM won't be alarmed...

I have gotten a TON of these emails (I'm a web designer and have a bunch of email addresses, plus I'm out there on the Internet) but ONE of twenty today actually had my old password from when LBNA got hacked and we all changed our passwords (we did, right?)

The email below is still a scam, so don't freak out if you get one and they use your actual old password. It's easy for me to spot it because I got 20 of them within the span of 5 minutes, but you may only get one. The scam emails read something like this:
"
Hello!

I am a representative of the ChaosCC hacker group.
In the period from 23/06/2019 to 11/08/2019 we got access to your account [email address here] by hacking one of the domain.com mail servers.

Your pass for above account on moment of hack was: [password here]
You already changed the password?
Sumptuously! But my program fixes this every time. And every time I know your new password!

Using access to your account, it turned out to be easy to infect the OS of your device.

At the moment, all your contacts are known to us. We also have access to your messengers and to your correspondence.
All this information is already stored with us.

We are also aware of your intimate adventures on the Internet.
[a bunch more trashy nonsense in bad English here]

If you do not want this, transfer 550$ to our Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallet: 1WPZhmZ69A9QyYUJkrDiafFkecbdCL6NS
I guarantee that we will then destroy all your secrets!
"

I am so sick of this stuff. A number of my clients send me stuff like this because they are suspicious, but not sure. So now you know.
Aug 16, 2019 2:40pm
Thread Board
I recently got a found notice on a box that hadn’t been found in eight years. Made my day!!!