A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #978290 by Mama Dee
Aug 13, 2019 12:47am
Thread Board
Did you reach out to Birdwell? They might have done a little digging, too. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=255065
Re: Postal Mystery??
Board: Postals
Reply to: #978245 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2019 4:07am
Thread Board
Expect clue 1 on Sunday.
A few openings
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Aug 13, 2019 4:15am
Board
There's still time to join this Shakespeare-themed swap!
Re: Visiting in October
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #978298 by Intrinsically Knotted
Aug 13, 2019 8:21am
Thread Board
I signed us up!

Team JiffyRacer
Reply to: #978245 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2019 9:41am
Thread Board
I never have, so I'd love to give it a shot!
Re: Congrats!
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #978256 by Kiss'n Karin
Aug 13, 2019 10:22am
Thread Board
It was a fun series to create and of course working with the multi talented aMAZEing adventure frog is always a good time. Thanks all who have searched for the boxes at Bellefontaine Cemetery and all the nice comments.
Reply to: #978328 by PSMH
Aug 13, 2019 11:11am
Thread Board
Watch for a post on this board Sunday It will have instructions and clue 1.
Re: NY Times Article on Rhode Island
Board: State: Rhode Island
Reply to: #978304 by Warrior Woman
Aug 13, 2019 1:26pm
Thread Board
Agreed! I like having the beaches quiet here! :)
Anniversaries
Board: State: Michigan
Aug 13, 2019 5:34pm
Board
Wow!! All these anniversaries today! Happy cake day Silver Eagle in Texas, TJ Mich, Plymouth Seekers, and BigRed!!
Re: LTC retreat
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #978301 by Linden Leaf
Aug 13, 2019 5:40pm
Thread Board
If only I lived closer!
Red Fox
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Aug 13, 2019 9:24pm
Thread Board
Tonight, on my way home in the dark, a red fox ran across the road in front of me. I have never seen one around home before, and this one was less than two miles from my home.

I am celebrating one of the little joys in life.
Re: Bar Harbor visit
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #977225 by BinoBoxer
Aug 13, 2019 9:48pm
Thread Board
I recommend either Bar Harbor Lobster Company, or Peekytoe Provisions for a lobster roll. Both can be reached on foot - take the Shore Path for nice views. Stewman’s Lobster Pound is also popular if you want somewhere right close to the cruise ship.

There are a few boxes right in the downtown area that you can walk to. 😊
Re: Red Fox
Reply to: #978336 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 13, 2019 10:13pm
Thread Board
A couple of weeks ago, we had a fox run across the road in front of us -- five times in a row! Seemed every evening as we came home, he'd dash out of the bushes and cross the road in front of us. Then we'd roll down the window and talk to him while he sat 10 yards away and looked at us. Five times in a row. We missed him when he didn't show up on the sixth time.
Re: LTC retreat
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #978334 by condo
Aug 13, 2019 10:17pm
Thread Board
That's why I'm hosting one here :-) ...traveling is too hard for me right now.
Re: Bar Harbor visit
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #977225 by BinoBoxer
Aug 14, 2019 4:07am
Thread Board
Nature girl is there right now.... and you already know her!
Re: August box of month is here
Board: State: Minnesota
Reply to: #977974 by tie dye sue
Aug 14, 2019 5:08am
Thread Board
*Update - figured it out.*

Um, where do i find the clue? I tried looking at your logbook under Box of the Month. I'll be in town through the weekend for my daughter's surgery - looking for some fun stuff to do.
Aug 14, 2019 5:22am
Thread Board
My daughter saw one under her bird/squirrel feeder late one night.
Aug 14, 2019 7:15am
Thread Board
I am celebrating one of the little joys in life.

Those are the best kind. I live in town in Visalia, CA but across the street is a ponding basin where, inexplicably, a fox lives. I’ve seen him (her?) on our property a couple of times.

But here’s my favorite red fox story...
I used to live in Taos NM. One day I was hiking in the nearby mountains. I was hiking off trail and I had just spent a couple of hours hiking to the top of a ridge. I found a nice log to set on for lunch and got everything out of my pack and started eating. I had been there for about 10 minutes enjoying the views before I noticed a red fox curled up, watching me about 15 feet away. He only moved away after he noticed me noticing him.
printing maps
Board: OpenStreetMap
Aug 14, 2019 7:29am
Thread Board
I was able to print OSM in the past but not now. Is it still possible. Could it have anything to do with the recent Windows 10 update? I find several things have changed with that update.
Re: printing maps
Reply to: #978350 by Sagacorn
Aug 14, 2019 8:01am
Thread Board
Up front: I have never tried printing OSM maps...

What I do.. is use screen captures / shots whatever you call it... CTRL Prt Sc on my computer... and then save that in MS Paint or what have you... after that you can edit the image to fit your need... sometimes a section for a day trip / box hunt... on paper... or if you don't have a smart phone like me.. I store the image in a digital camera for field reference... be it an OSM map or an air photo... Of course you can do the same with a smart phone or anything that you can stick a USB stick into for images...

I guess that someday I might break down and get a phone someday... and I mean phone... been without since 2005 and haven't missed it... use a friends when I need to but don't overdo it. Might get a simple cellular radiotelephone though... now over 70 and it gets really lonely out there in the bush when you think you are in trouble... just saying...

But overall, it is an interesting point... did something change... and at what point.
At OSM, at your point of contact , software and so forth... so I'll be looking at that.
Aug 14, 2019 8:33am
Thread Board
OSM?
Reply to: #978352 by SherlockMiles
Aug 14, 2019 11:42am
Thread Board
OSM... like in the board and group Name... OpenStreetMap.

This is an open mapping site where people can add to and enter new plots of information to the map database... some you can use and some you don't need but someone else might like it...

Putting it in is fairly easy, but sometimes getting it out is hard... hah!

In this case the OP wants to print the map they see... but they say that the print is not working... I mentioned one way to get it if they can see it on screen... but agree that direct to printer sounds better... I have not tried and my printer is down...

I also asked if they could say where exactly they were trying to print from...
the OSM site, some other map source or just from their computer... that would help see the problem... but.. til then.

They really do make nice maps... but remember that the system allows people to create their own using the data... I get maps from one site... for use in my GPS... which is getting old... the problem I run into is that their maps have way to much data from the site that I cannot see or use in my GPS but that is my problem... and one reason why I only input really basic stuff into the database and let someone else edit my entries... which I can often not see the results...
which is sad... but it's my GPS limits not the map's...
Reply to: #978353 by 7rxc
Aug 14, 2019 1:42pm
Thread Board
I was curious and googled and joined. I put several real addresses into the search and got no results found?

I use google maps but I was curious about this one.
Aug 14, 2019 1:55pm
Thread Board
OpenStreetMaps is all about editing the database, not about actually making any use of it. For using the maps, they offer a listing of various applications:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Using_OpenStreetMap#Ready-made_online_maps

On my phone, I use MAPS.ME which allows me to save state maps on the SD card and therefore not have to download data every time I want to use it. This is helpful out in the woods where I can't get reception.

Here's something funny: Google Maps is very strict about unlicensed use of their map data, but OpenStreetMaps is very clear that anyone is free to use theirs. People who look stuff up on Google Maps in order to edit OSM are likely to get in trouble, and if OSM hears about it they will delete those updates. But Google Maps clearly uses OSM data in their maps! I've entered stuff before to have it not only appear on OSM maps but appear on Google Maps as well.

They're both useful. Google Maps even includes property lines in some areas, which is great when you're off-road.
Aug 14, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
Like 7, I’ve not tried to print them but also like 7 I just take a screen shot and print that. Much easier for me and I can adjust the contrast in PS and get a better map if I choose.
Reply to: #978353 by 7rxc
Aug 14, 2019 5:23pm
Thread Board
To answer 7's question......I'm trying to print from my computer. I can print by grabbing a snip and them Print from file but it only prints a very small part of the page. I've tried landscape and portrait w/o any more success.
I don't use my phone for this stuff I'm of the 'using paper maps' age. I can plot my lb'ing route easier that way. Thanks to all for any help.
Reply to: #978358 by Sagacorn
Aug 14, 2019 8:52pm
Thread Board
I was poking around over there this afternoon while having lunch...
for the direct site, it was just about as I said..., cut out and print elsewhere...
They did have some stuff in the Using Maps Wiki... I have to go back in for the names, but there seems to be a few programs that can handle files exported from OSM (see Export) and print them... One advantage of that might be size... in the Export function you can set geodetic style boundaries... and tell it to export. Then you take that file into the other software and print away... but a bit much to digest at the same time as gulping down food... and drink...

I'll still try to do one... using my method... I got one file saved as a PNG image... and will play with it... that is screenshot from OSM site. but really pale... which is a complaint many had... and no way to change it... for printing... thus the outside programs... After I do some rough playing with this one for results visually, I will grab a few more and try joining them up with some to the north of the first...
using an image editor...

The big problem is seeing names and such... paper doesn't zoom in and out like images do... that led to my using the camera or cell phone method... just get them to the size you need and in the device... I often have an area shot for getting to the area... then a closer image of the area... and then a zoomed shot for the close in trails... and when I know how to get there, I do a matching 'satellite' shot that may or not be... I prefer the term ground photo... but it doesn' matter.. except for the final approach but seeing landmarks is handy...

Good luck

Oh! I don't mind 7 for brevity... but the trail name is 7rxc... it's the last part of my HAM callsign... VE7RXC which I cut down for brevity... hah! From BC Canada.
Reply to: #978355 by MissMoon
Aug 14, 2019 9:07pm
Thread Board
As Kirbert says it isn't about using the maps... but even non members can browse around the map that is displayed... you just can't contribute... and YOU are the search engine... eg If I want to see a map of something in say Georgia, USA... I would probably just pan the map over that way... but I know where that is and would start at the GA / FL border most times... If I didn't know what was what, I might spend a few minutes on GEarth or Gmaps and search the general area with there search tools... make a few notes and then look up the maps... but you will still have to do it... I don't recall a location search, but I've been off of OSM for a while...other than lunch today... many map sites also show their product with OSM as an option for map formats... but it is confusing for sure the first few times til you get the hang of it... it is all documented but you have to try a few placements first... for adding things. It is not that hard... I did it.. but for screen shots of really local maps for printing or viewing... that is easy.
Reply to: #978356 by Kirbert
Aug 14, 2019 9:18pm
Thread Board
But Google Maps clearly uses OSM data in their maps! I've entered stuff before to have it not only appear on OSM maps but appear on Google Maps as well.

Yes, that was evident even 10 years back when I started contributing to OSM database... most of the time, not even a full day went by... just to be sure, I misnamed one street I added from tracks... of several. When it showed the next day, there was the typo... gotcha... Still like I said, lots of tricks to getting the data out, but not hard to get in with a bit of practice... some of the tools are a bit misleading... and also a bit frustrating to go to their expected level of accuracy in location and usage... (say 2 lane pave vs 2 lane gravel etc.) only to find that for my GPS, I can only see a generic road... problem is my GPS though, not the Map.
I did one for a friend for his GPS, routable TYP... looked good and worked... took me by surprise though... was expecting a line route... but also got speech directions... (that was from garmin.openstreetmap.nl )
Reply to: #978360 by 7rxc
Aug 14, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
I know where that is and would start at the GA / FL border most times.

So, Florida Georgia Line?