Read Messages

Re: Visiting in October
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #978283 by Jiffy
Aug 12, 2019 12:37pm
Thread Board
Sorry about that--I got distracted! I've listed the event now, here:
Meet & Greet with Jiffy and ATVRacer

Let me know if that time works for you, or anything else you would like me to add/change. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you!
Re: Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #978297 by Wronghat
Aug 12, 2019 1:26pm
Thread Board
How would you know that?

If I had to guess, it would be from looking at the logbook.
Re: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978289 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 1:29pm
Thread Board
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.
LTC retreat
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Aug 12, 2019 2:51pm
Thread Board
Hey ltc ladies. I had a last minute drop from an Ltc retreat that I'm hosting here in Wisconsin. It's August 22-25...seriously next week. Does anyone want to fill the spot?...message me on AQ and I will give you all the info!

Linsey
Re: As a LTC tracker hostess, I appreciate...
Reply to: #978286 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 12, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
Sorry. I don't do two of those things on a regular basis. I'll try to remember.

I appreciate an equal amount of cards for the number of participants. Don't hold one back for yourself. ...hmmm...something I am trying not to do anymore for hosts...again, sorry.
NY Times Article on Rhode Island
Board: State: Rhode Island
Aug 12, 2019 3:07pm
Thread Board
Let’s see if this works. Doing stuff on the phone is always a pain.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/05/travel/south-county-rhode-island-beaches.html
Re: NY Times Article on Rhode Island
Board: State: Rhode Island
Reply to: #978303 by MissMoon
Aug 12, 2019 4:10pm
Thread Board
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

;-)

Warrior Woman
mermaid
Aug 12, 2019 4:17pm
Thread Board
I have 2 out of 3. I hardly ever put the tracker it's for on the outside. I forget that people do more than one at a time.
Reply to: #978290 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
The person who left their sig stamp in the box & probably mistakingly took the real stamp isn't listed on AQ.

Did you try LBNA? Could you tell from the logbook what date they stamped in? Maybe it's someone who has since changed their trail name. If you reveal the name that you think belongs to the stamp, maybe someone will recognize it as a family member of another boxer, or a scout from a troop of newbies, or . . . (?) It seems unlikely they would have a trail stamp and not be registered somewhere.
Aug 12, 2019 5:24pm
Thread Board
I never think to put the title on the mailer...I will have to try to remember that!
Aug 12, 2019 5:40pm
Thread Board
See if they are listed on LbNA.
Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Reply to: #978284 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 6:38pm
Thread Board
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, [...] thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

This would be the advantage of the area that I was considering for a HHH. It is about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Ogden Airport; it would be about two miles driving. This airport is a regional airport so I don't seeing it getting a lot of letterboxing traffic. Maybe this won't actually be an advantage.
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds.

That would explain why I haven't been notified about the new one in Utah. From the description given I should have been notified.

I look forward to seeing where it is. Then I can plan a trip.
Aug 12, 2019 7:00pm
Thread Board
My #1 pet peeve as a host are those packets arriving with me having no clue where the tabs are to pull off the stamps, address label and where to open the envelope. I hate to have to resort to an exacto knife to take the old stuff off but I often do. Please folks, make life simple for the host and mark where the pull tabs are.

Thanks!
Reply to: #978297 by Wronghat
Aug 12, 2019 7:36pm
Thread Board
In the letterbox logbook, the stamp signed "The Christians", dated & city/state is the stamp that was left in the letterbox. That led to me concluding they probably mistakingly left their sig stamp & put the real stamp in the box.

Would someone stamp a replacement stamp & sign their name like that?
Reply to: #978311 by Jaybirders
Aug 12, 2019 7:46pm
Thread Board
I TOTALLY agree! πŸ‘πŸ˜€
Reply to: #978312 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 7:46pm
Thread Board
The box is "The General's Bag" #255065 hidden in Nathan Bedford Forrest SP, Tennessee.
The owners are BrothersStamp and
KC Explorers.
The assumed sig stamp (according to logbook) belongs to The Christians, dated October 14, 2018, from a local city.
Yes, I checked LBNA, and no, the box isn't listed there, nor is the member (The Christians).
Reply to: #978312 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 8:28pm
Thread Board
In the letterbox logbook, the stamp signed "The Christians", dated & city/state is the stamp that was left in the letterbox.

Yikes. Maybe they thought that in letterboxing you exchange the stamp you have with the stamp you find.
Reply to: #978314 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 8:34pm
Thread Board
There's a boxer named Christian's Christian on AQ. Only 20 or so finds, but logbook is private, so no way to see what they've found recently. There's three other names that include "Christian" also.
Reply to: #978316 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 12, 2019 8:51pm
Thread Board
Thanks! I did check all those. There are always possibilities, but what info were on those 4 pages mostly excluded them (1 active was from wrong area, the other had a viewable logbook). The other 2 haven't logged anything since 2014 which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't still boxing.

I messaged the owner & planter as RDHG suggested.

Any thoughts?
Reply to: #978316 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 12, 2019 8:55pm
Thread Board
There's a boxer named Christian's Christian on AQ.

They haven't had any logged finds in almost a decade, and nothing even remotely close to that box, so... highly unlikely to be them. Nice sleuthing, though! It seemed, based on the info you had, to be a good possibility.
Reply to: #978311 by Jaybirders
Aug 12, 2019 9:01pm
Thread Board
Oops! Sorry... (you are talking to me😯)
Thanks for the heads up πŸ‘
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 10:05pm
Thread Board
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.

Actually you just need to edit the custom location. I have done this about 10,000 times (or more; Ryan would have to run a query to see my total number of custom locations).

Basically, save the coordinates as 50.655251, -3.977487 then click the pencil then 'Edit Custom Location'. MOST of the time AQ will then successfully look up the city/state information. If not, do it manually.

In either case, you now have a letterbox listed as 50.655251 -3.977487, Okehampton, Devon, England, United Kingdom so it will show up in a search correctly.

The problem is that you first have to ADD the coordinates to the AQ database. Then it will try to match the AQ entry to the online ones. AQ isn't capable of doing both at the same time.
Aug 13, 2019 12:47am
Thread Board
Did you reach out to Birdwell? They might have done a little digging, too. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=255065
Re: Postal Mystery??
Board: Postals
Reply to: #978245 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2019 4:07am
Thread Board
Expect clue 1 on Sunday.
A few openings
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Aug 13, 2019 4:15am
Board
There's still time to join this Shakespeare-themed swap!
Re: Visiting in October
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #978298 by Intrinsically Knotted
Aug 13, 2019 8:21am
Thread Board
I signed us up!

Team JiffyRacer
Reply to: #978245 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2019 9:41am
Thread Board
I never have, so I'd love to give it a shot!
Re: Congrats!
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #978256 by Kiss'n Karin
Aug 13, 2019 10:22am
Thread Board
It was a fun series to create and of course working with the multi talented aMAZEing adventure frog is always a good time. Thanks all who have searched for the boxes at Bellefontaine Cemetery and all the nice comments.
Reply to: #978328 by PSMH
Aug 13, 2019 11:11am
Thread Board
Watch for a post on this board Sunday It will have instructions and clue 1.