Aug 11, 2019 7:34pm
Thread Board
AQ#293080
Re: Congrats!
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #978281 by Kiss'n Karin
Aug 12, 2019 6:00am
Thread Board
Interesting, because my daughter and I have been learning about them for a badge she is working on.
Too bad st. Louise is too far away, we'd go look for them.
Re: Visiting in October
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #977511 by Intrinsically Knotted
Aug 12, 2019 6:47am
Thread Board
Just wondering if a mini meet has been listed yet? I'd love to sign ATVRacer and I up!

Jiffy
Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978103 by MissMoon
Aug 12, 2019 8:08am
Thread Board
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, the idea being that you can pick up/drop off travel bugs before and after travel, thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

While I agree on the comments about HHHs being "prisons" 😂😂, I also have the habit of forgetting HHs are in my bag. When I run into a HHH, then I remember to take it out and exchange it. So in that sense, a HHH is good for getting HHs moving.
Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Aug 12, 2019 8:28am
Thread Board
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well :) I was just wondering how to get the box to show up in the Simple Search -> Trip Search, in the various highways you can choose. I tried I-17 Mile 0 - End of Road, and don't see my box. Same goes for I-84 (West).

Is there anything special I have to do for my box to show up there? I of course am happy when my boxes are found, so it'd be nice to have it show up in the search, since they are intended to be quick interstate grabs.

Thanks!
As a LTC tracker hostess, I appreciate...
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Aug 12, 2019 9:07am
Thread Board
*trail name on the mailer
*tracker title on the mailer
*dog-eared tape corners
Re: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 9:13am
Thread Board
I searched on Coconino National Forest and can see your box listing.
Then I searched on Flagstaff and could see that it's about 27 miles south as the crow flies.

Can you put a nearest town name in the location portion of the clues?

just my $.02
GG
Reply to: #978287 by Grrly Girl
Aug 12, 2019 11:01am
Thread Board
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

...so now it appears as a blue pin in the map search for "exact location."

But maybe there's something special I need to do to have it included in the route search.
Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Aug 12, 2019 11:16am
Thread Board
I found a box recently where a previous boxer accidentally took the letterbox stamp & left their signature stamp in the letterbox.
The current owner of the box hasn't logged in AQ in since October 2018.
The person who left their sig stamp in the box & probably mistakingly took the real stamp isn't listed on AQ.

I am willing to carve a new stamp in place of the original. I am also willing to adopt the box (even though I have never done that) but don't know the requirements/procedures, etc..

Any suggestions on a solution?
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 11:36am
Thread Board
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well

I-11?
Crap.
*goes to update my profile*
Food stamps
Board: Stamp Swap
Aug 12, 2019 11:41am
Board
Looking for food stamps for our event in November. Can be any size any food and can have the stamp design around the edge. Just let us know what you want to Carve

Happydaze
Reply to: #978291 by Eidolon
Aug 12, 2019 11:49am
Thread Board
It's the newest interstate in the US. It's the US-93 corridor between Phoenix and Las Vegas that is being upgraded to interstate. The first section, between the Hoover Dam and Vegas was just completed at the end of last year.

I made a letterbox for it. Hahaha.

I don't see it in the dropdown list of highways/letterboxes in AQ's route search. I guess AQ needs to be updated :)
Re: Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?
Reply to: #978290 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 11:50am
Thread Board
Did you send an AQ mail message to the planter? Some folks who are no longer active on AQ have their settings set so that when they get AQ mail, it goes to their regular email inbox.
Re: How Far to Hitchhiker Hostel/Hotel?
Reply to: #978159 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 12, 2019 11:57am
Thread Board
Me? Depends on the box. I often times build boxes into my journey, so even 5-10 miles off the highway is a distinct possibility for me to stop. As me about stopping for popcorn in St. Augustine while headed out of Florida on 95. ;-) If I want to stop, the car will stop, especially when it's my car!

I also tend to travel with people who at the very least tolerate boxing, if not have already been converted into mostly eager boxers.
Re: As a LTC tracker hostess, I appreciate...
Reply to: #978286 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 12, 2019 12:27pm
Thread Board
Yes and SAME! Please and thank you!
Aug 12, 2019 12:35pm
Thread Board
I found a box recently where a previous boxer accidentally took the letterbox stamp & left their signature stamp in the letterbox.

How would you know that? Isn't it just as likely that the original stamp went missing and the letterbox owner put in a replacement stamp so that people who found the box had something to find?
Re: Visiting in October
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #978283 by Jiffy
Aug 12, 2019 12:37pm
Thread Board
Sorry about that--I got distracted! I've listed the event now, here:
Meet & Greet with Jiffy and ATVRacer

Let me know if that time works for you, or anything else you would like me to add/change. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you!
Reply to: #978297 by Wronghat
Aug 12, 2019 1:26pm
Thread Board
How would you know that?

If I had to guess, it would be from looking at the logbook.
Reply to: #978289 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 1:29pm
Thread Board
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.
LTC retreat
Aug 12, 2019 2:51pm
Thread Board
Hey ltc ladies. I had a last minute drop from an Ltc retreat that I'm hosting here in Wisconsin. It's August 22-25...seriously next week. Does anyone want to fill the spot?...message me on AQ and I will give you all the info!

Linsey
Aug 12, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
Sorry. I don't do two of those things on a regular basis. I'll try to remember.

I appreciate an equal amount of cards for the number of participants. Don't hold one back for yourself. ...hmmm...something I am trying not to do anymore for hosts...again, sorry.
NY Times Article on Rhode Island
Board: State: Rhode Island
Aug 12, 2019 3:07pm
Thread Board
Let’s see if this works. Doing stuff on the phone is always a pain.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/05/travel/south-county-rhode-island-beaches.html
Re: NY Times Article on Rhode Island
Board: State: Rhode Island
Reply to: #978303 by MissMoon
Aug 12, 2019 4:10pm
Thread Board
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

;-)

Warrior Woman
mermaid
Aug 12, 2019 4:17pm
Thread Board
I have 2 out of 3. I hardly ever put the tracker it's for on the outside. I forget that people do more than one at a time.
Aug 12, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
The person who left their sig stamp in the box & probably mistakingly took the real stamp isn't listed on AQ.

Did you try LBNA? Could you tell from the logbook what date they stamped in? Maybe it's someone who has since changed their trail name. If you reveal the name that you think belongs to the stamp, maybe someone will recognize it as a family member of another boxer, or a scout from a troop of newbies, or . . . (?) It seems unlikely they would have a trail stamp and not be registered somewhere.
Aug 12, 2019 5:24pm
Thread Board
I never think to put the title on the mailer...I will have to try to remember that!
Aug 12, 2019 5:40pm
Thread Board
See if they are listed on LbNA.
Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Reply to: #978284 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 6:38pm
Thread Board
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, [...] thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

This would be the advantage of the area that I was considering for a HHH. It is about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Ogden Airport; it would be about two miles driving. This airport is a regional airport so I don't seeing it getting a lot of letterboxing traffic. Maybe this won't actually be an advantage.
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds.

That would explain why I haven't been notified about the new one in Utah. From the description given I should have been notified.

I look forward to seeing where it is. Then I can plan a trip.
Aug 12, 2019 7:00pm
Thread Board
My #1 pet peeve as a host are those packets arriving with me having no clue where the tabs are to pull off the stamps, address label and where to open the envelope. I hate to have to resort to an exacto knife to take the old stuff off but I often do. Please folks, make life simple for the host and mark where the pull tabs are.

Thanks!