Search

Read Messages

Re: Hosting LTC Trackers
Board: LTC Collective
Reply to: #977719 by Phoenix Rizing
Jul 26, 2019 9:05am
Thread Board
I haven't hosted a tracker yet....

I am thinking about it, and what a theme would be..........

I have been also thinking about dealing with the the logistics of hosting a tracker. One of the things I thought about doing with the sorting, would be the way I keep them in my binder... in the order people have signed up. That way I would see all the sets looking exactly the same in the baseball sleeves and know that they are ready to head out.................(PS, I would have the first sleeve spot have their trail-name and address card so I know who it belongs)

those that host, let me know if that would work or has issues I am missing.
Re: Premium feature to help defend against geocaches
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #977721 by Dawnkey
Jul 26, 2019 9:24am
Thread Board
I've planted a couple hundred boxes, and as far as I know none have been geocached. I think a lot of it is just luck, but that just goes to show it's not super common. On the other hand, I do make a point to try to not hide in the obvious location, because that's where the geocachers look. If possible, make the hide such that no one would think to look in that spot, even if they are looking for a geocache. I'm sure it all depends on the terrain in your area, but a hide style that seems to last a long time in Connecticut is at the base of a tree (but not a really interesting tree), in a small depression just large enough for the box, covered with a small, flat, dark, non-interesting rock over the top, with a few leaves and sticks over that so that the rock isn't noticeable. I've seen a number of these types of boxes survive unscathed very close to geocaches. I recently found a box like this just a foot or two from a major new mountain bike trail that had been dug into the side of the hill. None of the trail creators or users ever saw the box located right on the edge of the trail.
Reply to: #977729 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 26, 2019 9:37am
Thread Board
I also plant geocaches when I plant a letterbox. I have even alternated a letterbox then a geocache in series down a trail. This means I have protected a section of trail from other geocachers and my boxes are safe. Letterboxers are polite and will not plant near me, so I know they will not accidently plant near my caches.
Box not showing up in app
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Jul 26, 2019 10:22am
Thread Board
I recently did my first plant and it is showing up in Atlas Quest and LBNA (has been found three times) but it is not showing up in the Clue Tracker iOS app, which is my go-to resource. Wondering if there's something I need to do to get in on there or if perhaps it populates new boxes when there is an app update?

Thanks!
Reply to: #977733 by Grrly Girl
Jul 26, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
My two favorite plants are a mere 10 feet from a cache. The cache is in an obvious place.
My plants are in not so obvious places.

Since the geocache is in an obvious place, eventually it will go missing. Then your box will be geotrashed.
Reply to: #977735 by SeerMeesh
Jul 26, 2019 10:45am
Thread Board
Honestly though, can't they read?

Geocachers can read, but they don't. They don't read cache listings and they certainly don't read anything in or on the containers they find. They download the GPS coordinates and hunt caches without ever seeing a cache listing -- that's a point of pride -- and since it's all about how many caches they can find in a day, they don't waste any time with any pesky reading at any one cache.
Reply to: #977741 by detective
Jul 26, 2019 10:47am
Thread Board
Does the geocaching website have some sort of notice about letterboxing?

Geocachers don't read notices, either.
Jul 26, 2019 10:52am
Thread Board
Geocaching is more mainstream than letterboxing. That means that, besides the serious geocacher who typically is very conscientious and takes great care not to damage letterboxes, there are also college students who get real drunk and say "Hey, let's go geocaching!" and descend upon a geocache -- or your letterbox -- at 2AM en masse, totally wasted, and trash whatever they find.
Reply to: #977743 by condo
Jul 26, 2019 11:05am
Thread Board
That's probably about what I do when I go to sort. I keep the unsorted cards in the envelopes that they were sent in. When I go to sort I have the tracker page up on my computer and I go through the envelopes in the order the members are listed on the tracker. I also double and triple check myself a lot, so after I sort all the cards, I will recheck to make sure I have one of every card in each pile, then as I put them in what ever the member used to send them, such as a trading card page or handmade inner envelopes, I will check them again. I have a cat that likes to "help" with sorting so it's important for me to keep rechecking that all of the cards are still sorted correctly.
AQ / Clue Tracker sync
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jul 26, 2019 12:01pm
Thread Board
I recently did my first plant and it is showing up in Atlas Quest and LBNA (has been found three times) but it is not showing up in the Clue Tracker iOS app, which is my go-to resource. Wondering if there's something I need to do to get in there or if perhaps it populates new boxes when there is an app update?

Thanks!
Reply to: #977748 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2019 12:02pm
Thread Board
Since the geocache is in an obvious place, eventually it will go missing. Then your box will be geotrashed.

Cache is in a giant tree throw.
Boxes are up a little cliff and over the edge down a little cliff.
Not very likely. Four years and still safe and sound.
Re: AQ / Clue Tracker sync
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #977753 by RidgefieldRovers
Jul 26, 2019 12:21pm
Thread Board
Do you have the option to hide your plants and finds turned on in the settings in Clue Tracker?
Re: 7 Little Words
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #977717 by MissMoon
Jul 26, 2019 1:37pm
Thread Board
that is more than 7 words. just saying.
smile
Reply to: #977737 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jul 26, 2019 1:53pm
Thread Board
The host I had an issue with told me that people send one less card for that reason, I have never heard of that!! In reality, by not sending enough cards can create a sorting nightmare for the host, it is much easier to create equal piles of cards. For myself, if I am interested in trackers going forward, I will ask the host their policy, for my trackers I will state my policy.
Jul 26, 2019 1:57pm
Thread Board
I always send enough cards for all listed participants regardless of how many stamps get listed. That way there are always enough cards in case a stamp gets listed late. Better to send extra and get them back than to not send enough and be a problem.
Jul 26, 2019 2:02pm
Thread Board
I had almost the same happen to me, what I found interesting/annoying was that my plant was about 50 yards off the trail and a geocacher managed to find my spot and put a cache within 10 feet of my box. A cacher wrote me that they had found my box before finding the cache and took picture of it. Like you I check the GC site to see what is around and there was nothing. Cachers don't seem to perform the same when looking to plant their boxes. Fortunately, I label my boxes that they are NOT geocaches and not to take the stamp. I ended up relocating the box further along the trail as the geocacher ignored my complaints about their planting almost on top of my box.
Reply to: #977723 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2019 2:03pm
Thread Board
Great idea!!
Jul 26, 2019 2:48pm
Thread Board
Does the geocaching website have some sort of notice about letterboxing?

Yes. It’s had detailed information about letterboxes for well over a decade. But what Kirbert says is all true. Lots of long-time geocachers are conscientious and educated about letterboxes. But most don’t read anything, including (as he said) the ‘cache listing. It’s all about speed and numbers to a lot of players.

Geocaching.com itself has lots of “letterbox hybrids” that include a stamp (usually a cheap store-bought, but a stamp nonetheless) and the listings will explicitly state to not remove the stamp, that it is not “swag” or a trade item. They still get taken sometimes.

K
Jul 26, 2019 3:53pm
Thread Board
I have 16+ plastic containers I got cheap. I set containers out on a large table and put one mailer in each container. As I sort I can just toss a card into each container. https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=147531 . I use to just make stacks but the cat likes to help.

When I open a mailer, all the plastic and stamps etc. stays in that container for later steps. I put a binder clip on the plastic container of the mailer I am sorting (in case there are not enough cards.)

Once all sorted, I then go to each container and quickly count the cards then organize them back into the mailer...Remove/add labels, weigh, add stamps, and seal.

This works for me. At least until my cat decides to help. I'll snap some picts next time I'm sorting. Meanwhile, as the mailers are arriving, I place them in labeled boxes in my closet, i.e. Autumn, Winter, Spring. https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=147530

As the due date nears, I check the upcoming tracker box against the tracker list of people and notify participants if needed.

An idea I thought was cool was using a grocery bag on hangers in a closet. Label each bag and just put the mailers in the appropriate bag when it arrives.

I would recommend hosting one tracker at a time until your system is ironed out.

Now if you really want to get crazy, consider having a tracker in which there is also a swap happening, i.e. Autumn Craft & Swap. That organizational system has been fine-tuned as well...more containers!
Reply to: #977756 by uneksia
Jul 26, 2019 3:56pm
Thread Board
It's the only game I have ever paid for! lol It's kind of addicting. lol
Jul 26, 2019 4:09pm
Thread Board
And then what if AQ had a script that could be run to pick up all the coordinates from the GC site so that it could alert the letterboxer if a new cache were to be planted within x feet of one of their boxes. I thought that this was brilliant, and he's not even a boxer.

I assume that would take cooperation from the powers that be who run the GC site? WhoEVER the hell they are. I don't know, but if that's the case I doubt very seriously they would be cooperative. And really, why should they?

And in addition......so am I supposed to move *MY* box because some cacher places a cache. I don't think so.

The whole thing gets very 'who got there first', and would probably create even more negative feelings between lots of boxers and cachers than already exist.

The situation we have now is far from perfect but I don't think something like that would help things.
Reply to: #977764 by MissMoon
Jul 26, 2019 6:04pm
Thread Board
...so am I supposed to move *MY* box because some cacher places a cache. I don't think so.

'Fraid so. When a geocache and a letterbox conflict, the letterbox loses. Always.
My log book
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jul 26, 2019 6:09pm
Thread Board
When I to my logbook why can I not see my plants? Everything else shows
Reply to: #977723 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2019 6:38pm
Thread Board
Thank you everyone for the comments. I'm hoping Ryan or someone else in the know will chime in. If it's feasible to strip out geocache coordinates from geocaching.com and periodically run them to see if they're close to any of your boxes I'd much rather do that than place a cache near all of my boxes. If the coordinate thing is a ridiculous idea then so be it. But to me it seems ridiculous to place a cache that I don't care about and would be just one more thing to do in the process of planting a letterbox, which is what I actually care about.

With the running the script idea, if you learned that a geocache was placed near one of your boxes, that would just be information. It would be entirely up to you what to do with it--leave it, move it, or whatever. With my own box that was recently vandalized, I plan to re-carve it, and I'll have to find a new place for it because the remote hilltop where it was isn't big enough for both the cache and the box. I would much rather have just moved it in the first place than recarving and recreating the box and then moving it.

And I don't feel like it was my hilltop even though my box was there 4.5 years before the geocache. I'm not asking the geocacher to move their cache now, and I wouldn't have if I had gotten information that a cache had popped up very near my box. I just would have had info that I could have acted on. I don't blame the placer of this cache. They can't glance at a letterboxing website to get pinpoints of where letterboxes are. But we can look at a geocaching map to see where the caches are. And if we can take it a step further and automate the process (barring proprietary concerns or expensive computing time), then why not?
Re: Header Markup
Reply to: #977169 by Green Tortuga
Jul 26, 2019 6:47pm
Thread Board
What's a header
Reply to: #977763 by MissMoon
Jul 26, 2019 6:48pm
Thread Board
never heard of it. as a love of words suppose i should consider looking it up?
smile
Reply to: #977717 by MissMoon
Jul 26, 2019 7:38pm
Thread Board
I’ll take one for team...

Umm, what is thread about?

👀
👅
Re: Header Markup
Reply to: #977768 by Always On Call
Jul 26, 2019 7:45pm
Thread Board
What’s a header

For your edification and perusal:
https://images.app.goo.gl/ZzWK9x4sF1pgJtKG6

;D
Reply to: #977770 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jul 26, 2019 8:00pm
Thread Board
Umm, what is thread about?

7 Little Words is a word game app that has free daily puzzles. You can also buy more packages of puzzles. Miss Moon started the thread by telling us that in one of the games an answer was Geocaching.
Reply to: #977765 by Kirbert
Jul 26, 2019 8:03pm
Thread Board
MissMoon wrote:

...so am I supposed to move *MY* box because some cacher places a cache. I don't think so.

Kirbert wrote:

'Fraid so. When a geocache and a letterbox conflict, the letterbox loses. Always.

Not always. There was a geocache at Farmington Pond Park that was moved because the letterbox was there first. This was because the geocacher got repeated mentions in his geocaching logs about the letterbox.

In another park there was another geocache I got moved because the letterbox was there first. And there was the letterbox I protected by planting in the same park so that a geocache wouldn't be placed too close.

Maybe the geocachers in Utah are just nice.

But letterboxes around here go missing. So do geocaches.

You know how they say, “You can't make anything idiot proof because idiots are so ingenious.” Well, you can't muggle-proof anything because muggles are everywhere. Nature is even more pervasive, and just as destructive. The best we can do is our best.