Search

Read Messages

Re: Hilliard/Galloway missing(?) Letterboxes
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #977548 by Ambellachasingwaterfalls
Jul 21, 2019 9:11pm
Thread Board
Hi! And welcome to letterboxing!

Do you know how to do an advanced search to narrow down the boxes you see? If not, I can help you. You can also generate a map of selected boxes to see which boxes are clustered together.

I ran a search for active boxes within 10 miles of Hilliard and got a list of 149 boxes. Here are my suggestions:

Since you're just starting out, choose boxes with a recent Last Found date. There are many on this list that have been found since last October, or you could start with ones that were found in 2019. Forget the Unknowns and the older boxes for now - you don't want to get frustrated or discouraged right off the bat or you'll lose interest pretty quick! What fun is it to dig around in the heat all day and come up with... nothing! Those other boxes can wait for another time when you have more experience with different ways that people write clues and hide things.

Once you choose some boxes that interest you, be sure to read the comments sections, because many people put notes there about the clues, like, the "tree that says JR + AB is missing", or "the clue says 150 steps but it was only 120". Or, better yet, "the clues were great & easy to follow"!

Many times I have seen boxes listed with multiple comments saying the stamp is unusable or the box is empty or definitely missing, and yet the owner has never changed the status of the box, so it still says "active" despite all evidence to the contrary. Sometimes it's because the owner has dropped out of letterboxing, but other times the owner is still active on AQ and just doesn't bother to update the box status, which is really annoying. So use the comments about the boxes to narrow your choices.

Miss Moon commented:
Hopefully you didn't log attempts if you were not sure they are missing.

This is a great point! Since you don't know if you're not understanding the clues or if these boxes are actually missing, please don't record them as missing. "Missing" generally means that you're sure you were in the right spot but the box is not there.

On the box's page there's a table just above the comments that has an F-Summary column. Green "F"s are good and indicate finds on a box. Red "x"s indicate that someone marked the box as missing. That doesn't mean for sure that it is missing - sometimes you see a box with some "x"s followed by "F"s, which means whoever marked it as missing was mistaken. But those indicators can also help you decide whether or not you want to pursue a box.

Hope that helps! Feel free to send me a message if you need some help. :D
Re: Buried in Beach Sand
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #977539 by Kirbert
Jul 22, 2019 12:49am
Thread Board
I know it's considered a no-no to bury a letterbox

This is news to me. I've found lots of buried letterboxes, and buried a couple myself.

K
Re: Do you remember when...?
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #977564 by scouttrekkie
Jul 22, 2019 4:16am
Thread Board
Perhaps another unique Mamawolf letterbox in the works?

Now that I can laser cut, 3D print, use a CNC, and have every woodworking tool available to me, I think I could make epic boxes now! Lol. But nah. People stopped even hunting mine years ago (I still have unfound boxes out there). Instead I can make things to improve/repair machines or display them at the makerspace to inspire others to use machines or make things.

But the making of things in projects with others during letterboxing did inspire me to continue to make things and learn. It was actually another creative boxer that left the hobby (the same one who made that Letterboxing Card Game) that got me into the new hobbies. So it's been a great journey!
Re: Do you remember when...?
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #977569 by The Wolf Family
Jul 22, 2019 4:49am
Thread Board
{People stopped even hunting mine years ago (I still have unfound boxes out there)}
I used to watch carefully for any new Wolf Family carves, so did so many other boxers, wanting to be a first finder. So I could not imagine you having boxes that had not been found. I did a search and found 3 pretty tough, that were beyond my abilities.
But be assured, I for one, have not stopped hunting if I see a Mama Wolf carve anywhere near my travels.
Reply to: #977545 by PI Joe
Jul 22, 2019 4:50am
Thread Board
These are the same thoughts I was having about it ... what PI Joe said ...
Homerdoodle 2019
Board: Event News and Planning
Jul 22, 2019 5:21am
Thread Board
A shout out to all the hostesses for another superb event! Even with the HIGH humidity we had plenty to stamp inside the air conditioned pavillion,lots of hydrating water & food.We had the chance to get to know other boxers a little bit better. This park was as nice as Homer Lake-the county parks system has awesome tastes in setting up great recreational areas! Thanks again for hosting!!
Reply to: #977568 by Kelsung
Jul 22, 2019 5:56am
Thread Board
It’s one of those old, original rules no one pays any attention to any more, like not planting in rock walls.

It’s in the code of conduct section. Says not to dig holes. ::::shrug:::
Jul 22, 2019 6:23am
Thread Board
Welcome to Letterboxing! The Ohio folk are some of the best I know! If you get down around the Cincinnati area, let me know and maybe we can meet for an exchange.

KO gives some great starting advice, but definitely remember what MissMoon says--finding those long unfound boxes is a great reward! Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus is a very box-rich environment, reasonably close to Galloway, and will give you an opportunity to search for boxes by many different people, both recent and not so recent.

And don't forget that the journey is just as much part of the experience as the find.

I'd also recommend attending a gather or seeing if you can meet up with a more experienced boxer. I met one of my best friends that way! (I'm definitely available this fall)

Enjoy the obsession!

Mama Stork
Reply to: #977573 by MissMoon
Jul 22, 2019 6:34am
Thread Board
What do you mean no one pays attention to not planting in rock walks? Seriously? That is one of the most destructive places you could possibly pick to plant a box. 150% of the time, the wall will be dismantled and destroyed. Here in RI, rock walls are *sacred*. Use it as a reference point, use it for directions, but for heavens sake, do not use it as a hiding place.

Warrior Woman
reverent
Jul 22, 2019 6:48am
Thread Board
It can be worth hitting the boards up to see if anyone wants to go out with you too. The Ohio crew is great and you're lucky to live in a place with so many boxes to find :) It does get easier the more you do it. I'd recommend picking a person with a lot of plants in your area and going after theirs. Sometimes, it takes a bit to get into the groove of how someone writes clues and doing their boxes back to back can help. And once you get used to them, you get used to the next one and the next. Then you'll have the rhythm down.
Happy Pi Approximation Day!
Board: Yakking It Up
Jul 22, 2019 7:54am
Thread Board
Took me a while to figure out why there were pies all over my screen today, but of course pi is approximately 22/7! I would bake a pie in celebration, only it's been so hot I can't bear to turn on my oven.
Re: Homerdoodle 2019
Reply to: #977572 by R gang
Jul 22, 2019 9:51am
Thread Board
We couldn't have said it any better ourselves! Thank you for everything, Homer Team! We had a fantastic time, and greatly enjoyed getting to know some lovely IL boxers! We will most definitly be back!

- Celtic Cutie, Falling Water, Finn the Human & Doctor Porkchop
Reply to: #977575 by Warrior Woman
Jul 22, 2019 9:54am
Thread Board
one of the most destructive places you could possibly pick to plant a box. 150% of the time, the wall will be dismantled and destroyed. Here in RI, rock walls are *sacred*.

I have less trouble with letterboxes in rock walls than geocaches. With a letterbox, you can describe exactly where the box is supposed to be, and a finder can quickly confirm whether it is there or not. In geocaching, the GPS only brings you within 30 feet, so you have to search the wall. And heaven forbid the cache has gone missing, because finders will demolish the entire wall looking for it.
Reply to: #977575 by Warrior Woman
Jul 22, 2019 10:05am
Thread Board
I should have said :::many:::: do not. I find lots of boxes in rock walls and have for many years now. Planted by people with varying years of experience.

I have a couple in walls. Clues are VERY SPECIFIC. They are near me, get almost no finders and walls are thus far undamaged. Lots of NY boxes in walls. Also Connecticut.

And at least a couple in RI.

Don’t kill the messenger.
Re: Starting over...
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #977476 by Kitty Litter
Jul 22, 2019 10:24am
Thread Board
would anyone like my large box of old stamps and other stuff, a few logbooks, tracing paper, some puzzles used for postals, some old stamps from events, ect.

I would happily take anything you have! My boys and I are looking to seed the area we live in and would love to give new life to things! I hope the new transition goes well. Lots of hugs!

-Celtic Cutie
PDA
Jul 22, 2019 10:34am
Thread Board
Reply to: #977476 by Kitty Litter
Jul 22, 2019 10:38am
Thread Board
Are you back in Nashville?

How about a combination of your names, Jencent?
Reply to: #977580 by MissMoon
Jul 22, 2019 11:06am
Thread Board
Hardly killing the messenger, MissMoon, just horrified by the thought!

Warrior Woman
still reverent
Reply to: #977583 by Colorful Caterpillars
Jul 22, 2019 11:23am
Thread Board
Still in clarksville, have to move in the next few months, not sure if we are stayin here in clarksville or moving to my parents in paris, tn
Looking for a 'boxer ...
Jul 22, 2019 11:26am
Thread Board
Hello! Haven't been on for a while, but received this message on a blog of mine:

"Anonymous said…
I am a letterboxer, and I am looking for you! Would you mind contacting me on AQ? Nothing nefarious or life-changing. I have a wonderful, homeless stamp I was hoping you could help me with.
July 16, 2019 at 2:50 PM"

I want to help you, and perhaps you will read this message and we can connect!

Thank you to all who have logged my boxes found or attempted - logging certainly helps other 'boxers plan their adventures! I have not maintained any of my boxes for years, so it is fun to see that quite a few are still alive! And, any maintenance visitors can give when they visit is very appreciated, as well!

Glad to see AQ doing well - so many new things to explore!

your long-lost friend,
SHH (aka Inky Jedi)
Re: Happy Pi Approximation Day!
Reply to: #977577 by Intrinsically Knotted
Jul 22, 2019 11:40am
Thread Board
I can't bear to turn on my oven.

Icebox pi day!
Mmmm, strawberry icebox pie with a giant dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.

For the younguns in our midst
Ice Box Pie History
An Ice Box Pie is a delicious classic southern dessert that was named after the ice box that these pies were kept cool in. These Ice Box Pie were quick and easy to make, required no cooking in the heat of summer, and could be stored in the icebox until it was served. ... Iceboxes date back to the 1830s.
Re: Happy Pi Approximation Day!
Reply to: #977587 by Grrly Girl
Jul 22, 2019 1:01pm
Thread Board
Ooh, I need to make that immediately!
Thinking About a Name Change
Jul 22, 2019 1:46pm
Thread Board
I enjoy the name CoffeeSpoons - it's from a poem ("I have measured out my life with coffee spoons...")
- BUT -
This name was (surprisingly) taken on the Geocaching website, and my gmail/twitter/instagram/everything else is KatLikesPie. I was considering making it all the same.

Has anyone changed their trailname and lived to tell the tale?
Jul 22, 2019 2:22pm
Thread Board
Thanks to all who helped to make this another award winning event! The air conditioned pavillion made a big difference. There was plenty to do even with the unhealthy heat outside. The guard rail series gave us a chance to jump in and out of air conditioned cars. There was also the air conditioned museum to visit and to find several stamps inside and out. It is always fun to see old friends and meet new letterboxers.
Jul 22, 2019 2:32pm
Thread Board
Agree. Really, it's just the best fun ever.
Re: PDA
Reply to: #977582 by LadyRisa
Jul 22, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
I went to the library and carved an Elsa stamp. I was in the children's section so I was hoping someone would ask about it, but no one did. I did ask the librarian about planting a letterbook there in the future. I told them about letterboxing and they were open to the idea and will confirm at a later date.
Jul 22, 2019 2:41pm
Thread Board
Totally agree! Another great Homerdoodle Do! Plenty of fun boxing for everyone.... Indoors and outdoors. Was really nice to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones.
Re: Thinking About a Name Change
Reply to: #977589 by CoffeeSpoons
Jul 22, 2019 2:42pm
Thread Board
I changed my trail name about a year into the hobby and it was seamless. There were no problems with my profile or logbook whatsoever. All records transferred to the new name. Not that many people knew me by my first trail name though. My first trail name is listed as an alias.
Happy Trails
DMC and GR
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Jul 22, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
Happy 14th AQversary!!!!!!

Love always,
The Lost Boys
Re: Thinking About a Name Change
Reply to: #977589 by CoffeeSpoons
Jul 22, 2019 3:14pm
Thread Board
I recently changed my name from Pugs and Bee...to Munkeybee. Pugs is my husband and does not attend events with me. But everyone just automatically called me Pugs! Finally, almost a year ago I asked his permission to change our name to something I didn't feel weird answering to. He was supportive! He still boxes with me from time to time because he likes that part, just not so much the events.

The only weird thing is currently I have to introduce myself "I'm munkeybee. I used to be Pugs and Bee" but even as the year has gone on, I've had to say that a little less often. I'm totally happy I changed it!