Jul 17, 2019 1:06pm
Thread Board
Thanks again.
Re: Planting at a Business
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #977368 by Vintage Vixen
Jul 17, 2019 1:08pm
Thread Board
Put it in a location where people can get it without asking an employee. Personnel changes.
Reply to: #977376 by MissMoon
Jul 17, 2019 1:44pm
Thread Board
IMHO, one thing to avoid like the plague is the scheme where the finder is supposed to research a bunch of answers to questions that some employee is supposed to ask before handing over the box. *Every* time I've run across those, I've spent a half hour researching the questions and then the employee just handed me the box without asking squat. It's frustrating to have wasted all that time.
Re: Albany NY---> near Chester VT
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #977372 by Quarry
Jul 17, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
No checked luggage, but I'm okay with donating any purchases gear to my hiking buddies.

OK, everybody, listen up! We need a series of letterboxes planted near commercial airports that contain a stash of items we can't bring along in carry-on luggage! Land, go find the box, grab all the items you need. On your way out of town, revisit the box, drop off anything you can't take with you anyway.

Yeah, it'd look more like a geocache than a letterbox. But in this case it's called for.

We need a standardized name for these letterboxes so everyone knows what they are just from the name. Something about the TSA.
Reply to: #977378 by Kirbert
Jul 17, 2019 1:54pm
Thread Board
TSA Hostel? Could even have a stamp and logbook.

Warrior Woman
kinda sorta fits
Reply to: #977379 by Warrior Woman
Jul 17, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
Stamp could be an image of a pocketknife behind bars.
Dozier School for Boys
Board: Stamp Swap
Jul 17, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
Get a hanky ready and read up:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article231763513.html

There are zillions of other articles online; just do a Google search for "Dozier School for Boys".

To summarize: The Dozier School for Boys was where boys were sent when somebody didn't want to deal with them any more, and a great many of them were brutally murdered and never heard from again. Over the past few years, the official cemetery there was dug up and the remains studied to try to identify the lost children. Now it appears there may be more gravesites hidden elsewhere around the property, so another investigation is soon to begin.

The site is in Marianna, Florida. This is a couple of hours' drive from me, and it'd probably be a lousy place to plant anyway since there is an investigation going on. However, the remains that were exhumed during the first investigation have now been reinterred in a cemetery in Tallahassee -- just down the road from me! We drive past that cemetery regularly.

I have no idea what sort of stamp image would be appropriate, if any. If anyone has any ideas, let's talk about it. Perhaps someone can carve something suitably respectful and send it to me, and I can plant it.

When and if the investigations end for good, we can talk about planting something at the site in Marianna. It's a drive for me, but I'm still perhaps the closest active letterboxer.
Re: Dozier School for Boys
Reply to: #977382 by Kirbert
Jul 17, 2019 6:00pm
Thread Board
That's really tragic and so sad. The only thing that came to mind immediately was the little poem we used to say as kids, a LONG time ago - "little boys are made of nails, and snails, and puppy dog tails". I know such gender-specific cliches are no longer considered 'politically correct'. But I still think some things traditionally associated with little boys would be a sweet and respectful tribute to the childhood they missed out on. I'm thinking a bicycle, a basketball or baseball & bat, a dog, a fishing pole (with a fish held up by a little boy) and so on, give them the innocent joys of days long ago, that they never got to experience.
Re: Carving tool organization
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #977259 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 17, 2019 7:20pm
Thread Board
Some people may use Staz-On Mustard to seal the image in, but that isn't my method. My image is put on via pencil rub, then I go over the image with a black LePen (and sometimes if that is running low I will swap it with a fine-point Sharpie. I don't find that to smudge, but then again, I have used Staz-On for so long I forget. I use it for creating a contrast of what has been carved away and what hasn't. Sometimes it shows me I wasn't keeping as tight to the line as intended and allows me to go back and give it a little shave with the blade. It also looks great in progress photos, which I sometimes show on my craft insta and maybe someday something more dedicated to carves. Before I got my Ottlite and got Lasik done, Mustard was my savior. I still use it, because despite those things that have helped since, because I think it helps the most. My Ottlight helps some, but I feel it saves my neck more. haha
Reply to: #977305 by Topcollector
Jul 17, 2019 7:29pm
Thread Board
The small compartments are inserts and I only use one insert in the top instead of two (I throw the other one in with other setups for other things). That allows the other side to handle my knives, etc. The bottom I keep open for the tracing paper (I fold up a few loose pieces, etc. They are just "emergency" supplies in case I want to make a stamp on the go. The small compartments are sections of 3. Currently 2 hold the scraps of rubber and the other holds all my 0.5mm leads, about 50 or so extra #11 xacto blades, and the tin of inchies (so they are quick grab and go and don't get lost when used as quisps).
Reply to: #977363 by Quarry
Jul 17, 2019 7:32pm
Thread Board
I put my pocket knife in checked luggage.
Reply to: #977331 by Rebiccola
Jul 17, 2019 8:43pm
Thread Board
I flip the image and increase the size, then print it out again.

Yep, works best for me.

I'm not a fan of the mustard color. Too dark. I do the same prep, but use Sunflower Yellow! ;-)

Ordered mine tonight. Thanks!
Reply to: #977386 by Wry Me
Jul 17, 2019 9:04pm
Thread Board
I once carried a *gun* in checked luggage. I was visiting my brother and he decided to give me the gun as a gift, but neither of us was too sure what the TSA would think of me taking it on the plane with me. So he came into the airline terminal with me, the idea being if there was any problem at all he'd just carry the gun back to the car and I'd fly home without it. Turns out it was no trouble at all. The gun was in its case, and unloaded (although there was ammo in the case with it). They wrapped some anti-tamper tape around the case to indicate it hadn't been opened after they inspected it and off I went.

Don't try to put your laptop in checked luggage, though -- or anything else with a lithium ion battery.
Camping along I-90 (Montana)
Board: Region: Pacific Northwest
Jul 17, 2019 9:47pm
Thread Board
Hey just a Rave Review of a campground on I-90 between WA and Montana....near St. Regis, MT.... Cabin City Campground, only 2 miles off of I-90 and only $7 ($3.50 for seniors)

Quiet, no light pollution, (no cell phone service for me), but clean and great hosts. Perfect stop for the night on the way home from Glacier NP.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lolo/recarea/?recid=10334

-Amanda from Seattle
Markers
Jul 18, 2019 4:30am
Thread Board
Years ago, I used to use Marvy Brush Markers. Is that still the current name for the best Markers for our artwork/stamps?

Re-inking my markers, has made the ink dry "too quickly" now. Terrible image in logbooks. One thing I've always loved about my Marvy's, is the bright, bold colors.

Guess I could change my trail stamp. I'm down to only one dog now anyway. :(
Re: Markers
Reply to: #977390 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 18, 2019 5:19am
Thread Board
I use a mix of Marvy and Recollections.
Reply to: #977368 by Vintage Vixen
Jul 18, 2019 5:26am
Thread Board
Restaurants and gift shops are often willing since it may bring in new customers.
Reply to: #977391 by SeerMeesh
Jul 18, 2019 5:28am
Thread Board
I use a mix of Marvy and Recollections

Are you using the Recollections with a brush marker or fine tip? I will look locally for them. I'm getting very frustrated with my local craft store only having ink pads.
Reply to: #977383 by Wise Wanderer
Jul 18, 2019 5:35am
Thread Board
My thoughts were similar - focus on what these lives that were cut short could have contained if these boys were only given a chance. When you have settled on a theme I would be happy to contribute - I may be in CT, but have followed the story for a number of years.

LL
Re: ads popping up
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #894245 by Green Tortuga
Jul 18, 2019 5:40am
Thread Board
Is that why my home page is covered with photobucket ads? Because I didn't pay my $39 this year? Just wondering.
Reply to: #977357 by Quarry
Jul 18, 2019 6:16am
Thread Board
Ya'll do have summers yes?

i'll second what grrly girl stated.

smile
Reply to: #977395 by VanGo
Jul 18, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
Yeah probly....
Reply to: #894236 by Bear n Honey
Jul 18, 2019 7:32am
Thread Board
Here we go this crap Adds popping up

Do you mean ads or ADD? ‘Cause I hate it when my ADD pops up. Because when it does it’s hard to ... wait, what was I saying?

Seriously though, run an ad blocker and you’ll be a much happier camper. And think of all the pixels you’ll save in exclamation points! 😄
Reply to: #894245 by Green Tortuga
Jul 18, 2019 7:33am
Thread Board
I'll be happy to oblige for a mere $39/year!

But seriously, either you can pay to help keep this website running, or I'll find advertisers who will pay to keep it running on your behalf. It's your choice, though! =)

The profile says this person is a premium member so it's got nothing to do with AQ.
Reply to: #894236 by Bear n Honey
Jul 18, 2019 7:37am
Thread Board
Sick of adds every where
GET THEM OFF OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also a premium member and never see an ad.....anywhere, anytime. I also have adblock installed on my laptop. And most of the time when I have ever looked at adblock there were no ads on AQ to be blocked.

So calm down, check your computer for malware as was suggested and install adblock. Those caps and exclamation points are uncalled for.

Before you go off, you could have asked people if they were also seeing ads.
Reply to: #977390 by Tri-Colored Paws
Jul 18, 2019 7:49am
Thread Board
I think keeping your trail stamp is a great way to remember all the wonderful times you had with your pups!
Reply to: #977357 by Quarry
Jul 18, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
And one last thing... the weather reports I've seen say it could be 40° and raining or 95° and blazing... is it really going to get down to 40°? Ya'll do have summers yes?

I don't know what "weather reports" you have been looking at but the forecast for that area this weekend is HOT. And that means humid. Hot and humid.
Reply to: #977382 by Kirbert
Jul 18, 2019 7:54am
Thread Board
Peter Pan and the Lost Boys came to mind.

What a sad story. :(
Reply to: #977402 by MissMoon
Jul 18, 2019 7:54am
Thread Board
Glad to hear it! Im use to hot and humid! I was told to look at Chester and Grafton...
The two where very diffrent, one was hot and wet one was less hot and more wet. But last I looked was a few days ago, maybe they have changed? I figured I was to far out to get a good forecast, hence my inquiries about the weather.
Reply to: #977400 by MissMoon
Jul 18, 2019 8:19am
Thread Board
The original post was from 2015...