A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Mailing 25 LTCs
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #976682 by RIclimber
Jun 25, 2019 9:55am
Thread Board
If you don't want to deal with the possibility of multiple envelopes, you can limit your swaps to 10-12 people.

I do! And I have no idea what swap brailleboxer is in that has 25 cards. But I suspect most hosts wouldn't want to receive 2 envelopes from their participants and wanted to say why.
more than one stamp
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jun 25, 2019 12:26pm
Thread Board
Last year I planted a box for an event that happens only once a year. I want to put a new stamp in the box at this year's event, but I am not sure how to do that. I know others have done it so it can be done! How do I list the new stamp in the same box? (Old stamp will not be there).
Thanks!
Reply to: #976683 by Rocklun
Jun 25, 2019 12:35pm
Thread Board
Agree. My swaps are normally 9 participants. No way would I accept two envelopes from one participant. If you are so broke that you need to save $3...well maybe you shouldn't join the swap. :-/
Re: more than one stamp
Reply to: #976684 by Evermore
Jun 25, 2019 12:47pm
Thread Board
You could retire the first letterbox, and then list the new letterbox with the same location/clue?
Jun 25, 2019 1:02pm
Thread Board
Retire the old box and create a new listing. Tell people in the new clues that it's a different stamp. You could change the name if you want....make it so and so box #2, or something like that so that people who already have the first image will know it's different this year.
Re: I lost my calendar widget!
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #976680 by Green Tortuga
Jun 25, 2019 1:07pm
Thread Board
Woohoo! Great. Thanks Ryan that’s a big help.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... you da man!
Jun 25, 2019 1:23pm
Thread Board
How do I list the new stamp in the same box?

If you just write in the old clue that it's a new stamp, previous finders of that one will probably never see it, because it has a green check mark that indicates they've already found it, and they will skip over it. That's why the best solution is a new listing. Copy and paste whatever you want from the first box into the new listing to save time and effort.
Reply to: #976678 by Rocklun
Jun 25, 2019 1:53pm
Thread Board
I actually had a crazy idea in mind that would only really be 5 cards , but I was wondering about the 25 as I was thinking of paying it for each of the participants , it’s detailed and won’t work
25 cards is WAY too many for a swap in my opinion !
My swaps are 12 max and yes folks don’t generally sign up and fill a swap these days ....
me and my midnight hair brain ideas just get the best of me sometimes 😂
Re: Halloween 2020 - possible event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #976681 by Munkeybee
Jun 25, 2019 3:38pm
Thread Board
I'm down for an event in NC in October! ANd a visit with my sis...the OTHER Bonnie! :-D Let me know if I can contribute in some way!
Jun 25, 2019 4:05pm
Thread Board
Re: Anyone going to GenCon 2019?
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #976679 by SeerMeesh
Jun 25, 2019 4:45pm
Thread Board
Sure, carve a date, why not? New stamp, new date. :^)
Reply to: #976692 by Eidolon
Jun 25, 2019 4:57pm
Thread Board
kind of like many who host box of the month. the clue is the same, box name changes to month and year. and of course the stamp changes.
Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Jun 25, 2019 5:02pm
Thread Board
I found this HH in Yountville, CA in the "Jalski Series: Bubbly".

Both the box & HH were soaked and the logbook for the HH was too damaged to get the number. Would love to find owner/planter to log find and send it on its way!
Re: Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Reply to: #976695 by Marshell
Jun 25, 2019 5:07pm
Thread Board
I found #242577 in the area years ago, so I'm guessing it's probably the same HH. Looks like they haven't been active in a few years, but worth a try!
Re: Searching for "I <3 2 LTRBX" Owner/Planter
Reply to: #976696 by kudichan
Jun 25, 2019 5:08pm
Thread Board
Sweet! Thank you!!!
Re: Looking for a box
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #976559 by mom's having fun
Jun 25, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
Found this one yesterday.
The box is titled "Letterbox of Chocolates."
Re: Letterboxing in a Little Free Library?
Reply to: #976656 by Wry Me
Jun 25, 2019 6:07pm
Thread Board
It seems that most of the missing LFL letterboxes were planted in someone else's LFLs without permission.

I suspect that most stewards would frown on someone planting a letterbox in their LFL. Most LFLs are small. It's not like a traditional library with thousands of feet of shelf space. Most of the ones I've visited are overflowing. Most stewards would likely see a letterbox as something that reduces the space they need for actual books, and therefore toss the letterbox.

While there is always the chance that a letterbox could disappear in your own LFL (a reader taking it without checking it closely, or a picker completely raiding your shelves to stock his thrift store or yard sale), I think a letterbox in your own LFL should last for quite awhile. I would even expect most readers would try to return a letterbox book once they realized what happened, and the pickers are just like the vandals that can happen to any letterbox.
Reply to: #976606 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 25, 2019 6:25pm
Thread Board
Maybe the park ranger keeps a lookout for letterboxes (and maybe geocaches too) and removes them when they are planted.

Not in Snohomish County. No posted restrictions, no permits, and caches dating back to 2002. And it's the county immediately north of Seattle, so the other guys would definitely know (and post on their sites) if this county or park had a problem with our type of hide and seek games.

I suspect that when things disappear in this park, it's just garden variety muggle-vandals.
Reply to: #976672 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 25, 2019 9:23pm
Thread Board
Those look expensive.

People making Little Free Libraries out of all kinds of things......from barbecues to old newspaper boxes (often free from a newspaper office) and everything in between. Mine was built for me by my kids for my birthday. Here's some ideas:

https://littlefreelibrary.org/little-free-libraries-shoestring-budget/
Her Royal Highness has an AQ anniversary today
Board: Yakking It Up
Jun 26, 2019 3:25am
Thread Board
Protocol dictates that we do not speak to HRH until she speaks to us.
Don't forget to bow or curtsy.
(quietly, in my own thoughts, wishing HRH Princess Lea a wondrously happy AQ anniversary)
A wayward box in Chicago
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 26, 2019 5:01am
Board
So a while back I got a message from glad matt here on AQ that a logbook, missing the stamp I suppose, was found from my box, Music Makes You Free, during some spring cleaning at the hostel it was planted. I answered him but never got a reply. I hope he checks his AQ mail, but it looks like it was a new account just to message me. Anyone know that person? Or anyone familiar with Chicago or the Hostel Earphoria? I'd love to get the log back if the stamp is missing, or the whole thing if they don't want it any more.
Re: Her Royal Highness has an AQ anniversary today
Reply to: #976703 by Grrly Girl
Jun 26, 2019 7:28am
Thread Board
She hasn't logged in since 6/12 so one of her members of court may have to pass along the message.
more than one stamp
Jun 26, 2019 8:48am
Board
Thanks, all, for helpful replies!
Re: Her Royal Highness has an AQ anniversary today
Reply to: #976706 by MissMoon
Jun 26, 2019 9:24am
Thread Board
I believe HRH, PL just jetted in from a Nancy Drew convention in London where she sup'd with The Queen.
Happy AQ Day to Topcollector
Board: State: Illinois
Jun 26, 2019 9:29am
Thread Board
I hope to box with you again soon. Your carves are always a pleasant surprise.
Re: Happy AQ Day to Topcollector
Board: State: Illinois
Reply to: #976709 by carry on grandma
Jun 26, 2019 11:06am
Thread Board
Thank you.
Free Pay it Fwd Package
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 26, 2019 3:07pm
Thread Board
To Whom it May Concern: the Cross Family would Like To Thank You for the Generous Gift Received by Us Today!.....James ..Lisa....Melanie.....Letter boxers Can be a Special Kind of People!
Anniversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Jun 26, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
Happy Anniversary Top Hat Collector!...May You keep.the Game alive!
Anniversary
Jun 26, 2019 3:24pm
Board
Happy Anniversary Spring 🚺!......
Re: Anniversary
Reply to: #976713 by Cross Family
Jun 26, 2019 3:36pm
Thread Board
Thank you.