About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Disney Frozen-themed stamps
Board: Stamp Swap
Jun 22, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
Hi - is anyone willing to loan me 5-10 Frozen-themed stamps for use this fall, please? PM me, if so, please.
Re: Ideas for Planning an event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #976558 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jun 22, 2019 6:06pm
Thread Board
Ask moms play! They rocked one last fall!!!!
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #976300 by Hurcher
Jun 22, 2019 6:40pm
Thread Board
I wish I could help you guys check on the boxes. Living in a letterbox wasteland is no fun! No one even comes for the BOTM here.

BB
Re: Disney Frozen-themed stamps
Board: Stamp Swap
Reply to: #976562 by paper trail
Jun 22, 2019 7:57pm
Thread Board
Makes me wonder what ever happened to my snow monster stamp....
Re: Well, this is embarassing
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976487 by condo
Jun 22, 2019 8:16pm
Thread Board
left my fingerprint. hubby, loved that breach of privacy not!!!

If someone has the equipment and time to track you through a most-likely coincidental encounter with a letterbox logbook, you've got bigger problems than a lost signature stamp! Probably need to quit that other hobby.
Re: my first stamp carve
Board: Carving
Reply to: #976523 by JampersandJ
Jun 22, 2019 9:56pm
Thread Board
I PRINT onto parchment paper... low ink setting, tape it to my sheet of paper. Once printed, I burnish it onto the rubber

Lisa
PS If I’m out of parchment paper, I have use plastic report covers slightly sanded with Super fine sandpaper to help the ink not smear
Reply to: #976517 by photopam
Jun 23, 2019 3:42am
Thread Board
I haven't seen Wanda & Pete's signture stamp in years. They draw in pine tree, etc., even color it sometimes. And they always write a story.
Letterboxing in a Little Free Library?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Jun 23, 2019 3:51am
Thread Board
I have my own LFL on my own property. I was thinking of finally losing my Letterbox virginity (<- those two words goes oddly well together) by creating a hollowed out book to put INSIDE the library with a suitably boring title so no one accidentally takes it home. (I was thinking "A VERY BORING BOOK" printed on the spine with a clue that says to look for "a very boring book". Subtle, huh?)

Anyway, to make a long story short -- TOO LATE! -- I was wondering if anyone had any Little Free Library/Letterboxing stories to share with me? Cautionary tales... mysterious happenings... mobs of people lining up to letterbox and read... anything, really.

Thx.
Re: Letterboxing in a Little Free Library?
Reply to: #976570 by Wolfenhound
Jun 23, 2019 4:28am
Thread Board
You know the old saying, “Letterboxers and serial killers, their first plant is always in their own backyard....” 😁

Sounds good, go for it! 👍🏻
Reply to: #976571 by Sheba
Jun 23, 2019 5:41am
Thread Board
What if you’re a letterboxing mass murderer, which gets planted first?
Re: my first stamp carve
Board: Carving
Reply to: #976568 by idlemoon
Jun 23, 2019 6:09am
Thread Board
Oooh, new technique! Thanks! :)
Reply to: #976480 by AdventurousAcorn
Jun 23, 2019 6:43am
Thread Board
Lost a full logbook once. It had 250 stamps in it. I had just filled it up. I had left it on a retaining wall next to the trail. Looked for about 2 hours for it.

When I travel by air, with a packed carry-on, I just bring sig stamp impressions on stickers, way more than I think I will use. And a small ‘travel’ logbook. Less to lose in the confusion!

You have a cute sig stamp, sorry you lost it!
Re: Thru hiking
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Reply to: #976561 by Dawgdok
Jun 23, 2019 6:46am
Thread Board
Oh, how I spurned RVing when in my 20s! Oh, how good an RV sounds decades later! The ground somehow gets harder with age....
Jun 23, 2019 6:51am
Thread Board
I have always thought that if I made a free library I would make a secret compartment inside above the door. That would make it even less likely to be accidentally discovered.
Jun 23, 2019 8:24am
Thread Board
Those two words do go together oddly well. Welcome to the darkside! ;)

IF you put the stamp in a hollowed out book, I would secure the book to the inside of the box somehow so it does not go missing. There is always going to be someone who finds the "boring" interesting! ;)

As far as boxes in Little Free Libraries in general goes, I love the idea. HOWEVER, I have planted in two different ones in our area, both by different people/groups, and both have been completely removed within 3 days of being planted :( Everything about it makes me sad. I would be curious to see what other's experiences have been with planting in them. Is it the same losing battle as with Geocachers? I do not know.
Reply to: #976548 by Quarry
Jun 23, 2019 8:25am
Thread Board
Has anybody here done it or parts of it?

I've hiked some sections just because I was hiking on the trails used the make the loop but it was all wonderful...I wasn't thru-hiking so I had the advantage to not go out on rainy days.

Any advice for somebody who hasn't packed in some decades?

Start out small with some day hikes and build up to overnighters and weekends.

Who maybe wants to hike it with me?

You'll be near my neck of the woods for a good section of your hike and while I likely can't join you due to the time committment maybe we can do some coordination and meet up for an exchange!?
Jun 23, 2019 8:28am
Thread Board
Because we have a letterbox behind a hidden back door in our Little Free Library, which is visible from our front window, we've gotten to meet and do exchanges with many letterboxers who were passing through.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=263564
Reply to: #976569 by KatieKat
Jun 23, 2019 8:51am
Thread Board
I have never seen any sig stamp for them, but they are about and reply to PMs at least... I had the opportunity to find one of their hides... just recently that had never been found... mostly due to wind blown debris covering it more than planned.

They do have a problem in that many of their listings are broken due to 'losing' their storage server where the clues exist... so... a lot harder to find... I had spotted the listing way back when it worked and was looking for another missing one that went away by another hider... also never found... but that one is likely toast by now... but I'm trying... so I knew there was a listing but was in unknown status so I had to find it and request a text of the clue... and they sent it to me, and I logged it...

I see they last logged in here yesterday... so they might see all this and comment or not... seem like nice people. though... I have to go look for some others in the area that i had to get info on... might get that done later this summer, if winter quits... there was snow on the ground two days back and more falling... ha.
Reply to: #976579 by Wronghat
Jun 23, 2019 9:11am
Thread Board
we've gotten to meet and do exchanges with many letterboxers who were passing through.

That would definitely be a perk to having your own library on your property. What a fun bonus! I will certainly try and get this the next time we pass through!
Reply to: #976578 by Johnsosaurus
Jun 23, 2019 9:12am
Thread Board
Yes please let's meet up for an exchange.
(My timeline is extremely flexiable and I might spend extra time in areas I'm already familar with near Clayton and Franklin)
Thank you all for excellent advice!
Re: Ideas for Planning an event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #976558 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jun 23, 2019 9:14am
Thread Board
a winter/holiday event

Oooohhhhh, I'll be keeping an eye on the event page! ;)
Reply to: #976572 by Dawgdok
Jun 23, 2019 9:18am
Thread Board
What if you’re a letterboxing mass murderer …

You mean this guy?

https://www.amazon.com/Letterbox-Murders-Mitzi-Phillips/dp/1976116430
Jun 23, 2019 9:20am
Thread Board
I think muggles would be very curious about a book titled "A Very Boring Book", so I'm not sure that one would work too good. Then again, in a traditional library, I once saw a grade schooler try to check out an oversized (coffee table sized) history book that was hollowed out as a letterbox, so you really never know what will draw muggles' curiosity.

I haven't seen a letterbox in an LFL yet, although I think some do exist. I hope to stumble upon one soon. On the caching side, I've seen LFL hides with a hidden compartment in the ceiling, a container attached with Velcro to an open ceiling, and a hollowed out book. All three were planted in 2014 or 2015 and are still going strong.
Reply to: #976577 by Celtic Cutie
Jun 23, 2019 9:30am
Thread Board
"I have planted in two different ones in our area, both by different people/groups, and both have been completely removed within 3 days of being planted"

Did you plant in your own LFL, or someone else's?
Reply to: #976586 by Maphead Mike
Jun 23, 2019 9:39am
Thread Board
Did you plant in your own LFL, or someone else's?

I have not built one before as we live in a crappy HOA neighborhood and have no place we are allowed to put one, unfortunately.

One was built by a local Girl Scout troop and the other by a local church. The container was attached with Velcro to an open ceiling.
Reply to: #976581 by Celtic Cutie
Jun 23, 2019 12:09pm
Thread Board
We'll keep an eye out for you but try knocking if we miss you.
Jun 23, 2019 12:14pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #976590 by Wronghat
Jun 23, 2019 1:15pm
Thread Board
That list seems to be 50/50 retired and active. I'm getting the feeling they aren't welcoming of Letteboxes, which is sad. It helps bring people to the libraries, which isn't that the whole point?
Reply to: #976548 by Quarry
Jun 23, 2019 2:01pm
Thread Board
It may sound uber basic but as someone with foot issues I'd say get some GOOD quality hiking boots.....AND.....get them broken in before you go. Spend whatever you have to. You'll regret if you don't. And I think Smartwool socks are the best for hiking. Also not cheap.

Research and planning are your friends. I almost always see thru hikers when I go on my little local hikes that include stretches of the AT here in NY. Some people just look really, really tired (as well they should) and some look totally and painfully miserable. I always figure the miserable ones did the least planning and overestimated how much they could do.
Jun 23, 2019 2:36pm
Thread Board
I have been to several of these boxes, one quite old, one was in a secret compartment, that was really hard and really messed with my feeble brain LOL and one that was under a rock or piece of wood nearby. I think they are adorable and would like to place one in my yard someday. Have fun!