About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Stamps needed for mini event
Board: Stamp Swap
Jun 19, 2019 4:09pm
Thread Board
Hello my fellow letterboxes!! I am in need of some stamps for a mini event in the works for the middle of July (yes, next month). There is no theme to the event and the stamps can be of anything at all. I don't care about the size either -- I will accept anything. If you have a retired stamp or old P.T. just lying around, I can use it!! My goal is to have at least 1 stamp from every state. If you can help me out with a stamp or two or know someone who can, please email me the details. All stamps will be promptly returned unless you would like them planted here in South-Central Ohio. Thanks everyone!!

Christy of p-pack
Re: Stamps needed for mini event
Reply to: #976464 by p pack
Jun 19, 2019 4:26pm
Thread Board
I have four stamps you can have for keeps. Let me know how many you want!

Warrior Woman
sharing from RI
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976463 by Janila
Jun 19, 2019 7:04pm
Thread Board
Waymarking is cool. I keep saying I'm going to get into it and never do. Roadside America is one of my all time favorite sites! That globetrotting looks interesting.

Survey Benchmarks are cool also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_marker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmarking_(geolocating)

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/
Mini Event
Board: State: Ohio
Jun 19, 2019 8:11pm
Board
I just posted an event for next month - July 13th. I've been wanting to do this event for a while now -- kind of our way to "give back" and say thank you to everybody who continues to plant letterboxes and keep our hobby going. Hope to see you all soon!! Christy
Ahoy Matey in Ithaca
Board: State: New York
Jun 19, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
I was really, really lost while letterboxing in Sapsucker Woods. When I stopped to "look under" as my directions instructed I found the wrong box! I was totally not in the right spot for my quarry, but any box in a storm, right? This box was called Ahoy Matey (or something very similar) and it was planted 2009. It had several visitors but I suspect not recently. I stamped in but in a real hurry because the mosquitoes were swarming like that scene in African Queen so I didn't write any details in my book or think to snap a photo. Later I tried to look up "Ahoy Matey" boxes but found there were none in NY. One that had been retired from Carlisle, PA about 13 years ago seems like a good candidate for a replant; that one had been pulled due to flood with the apparent intention to re-plant, but was retired instead. The owners are not active on AQ and so I don't expect an answer to my inquiry. Has anyone found this box in Sapsucker Woods and know if it's listed or who the owners are?
How to get on state board?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jun 19, 2019 9:30pm
Thread Board
Twice lately I have posted messages that I thought would be listed on the New York state board but they do not seem to be linked. For Group I used "United States Letterboxing" and for Board I used "State: New York". What am I doing wrong? And once I know the correct procedure, can I change the board on my existing messages or should I start over?

UPDATE: Ok, so I looked again and found that the posts are listed oldest to most recent, so I scroll down and see mine. But I still don't get notice that a new New York post is up. I always check the New York posts and assume others in the state do, so it is frustrating me that I am not alerted to look for a new post. Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??
Re: How to get on state board?
Reply to: #976470 by detective
Jun 20, 2019 3:51am
Thread Board
Your posts popped up as new posts on my New York State board and also on the Letterboxing Help Desk board, both of which I have marked as favorites. I don't think that your own post will trigger a notice that a new message was posted, only other new posts or posts that may respond to your post.

Also, the easiest way I found to see if my posts have gone through is to go to my Profile page. Above your statistics for boxes found and planted is a box that is called "Recent Posts". You should be able to see the posts you questioned on there.
Jun 20, 2019 4:15am
Thread Board
Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??

You nailed it! =)

The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

And any post you've written, by definition, has to have been read, so it's not going to show up as a "new" (i.e. "unread") post.

The one exception will be if there are already unread posts on the board. AQ just keeps a single pointer on the board with the current position of where you've read up to, so if there are already some unread posts, you're post will come after it and although that post has been "read," moving the pointer would cause it to skip other unread posts. So in that particular case, your post will show up in the "unread" count. At least until you've read all posts up to and including your post.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976472 by Green Tortuga
Jun 20, 2019 7:02am
Thread Board
The counter is more about "unread" posts than "new" posts. After all, even if a post is 5 minutes old, if you've read it, it isn't going to show up as "new."

Detective, that’s why I prefer the “Recent Threads” way of reading the boards. Go to the Boards page, click ‘Recent Threads’. They will show up whether you’ve read them or not.
RI Red Rooster retired
Board: State: Rhode Island
Jun 20, 2019 7:23am
Board
Regarding the R.I. Red Rooster box in Woonsocket -

Since adopting this box a year ago, I have discovered that this is a private cemetery that is closely monitored. Every finder including myself have been approached by one of the cemetery trustees. I am retiring this box out of respect.

Warrior Woman
doesn’t like to piss people off
Jun 20, 2019 7:35am
Thread Board
Thank you for your responses!
Re: Ahoy Matey in Ithaca
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #976469 by detective
Jun 20, 2019 7:40am
Thread Board
There are several places on LBNA you can look.....New York.....NY Mysteries....LBNA basement..........adoptables.

But you have to be a premium member to log it as an unlisted find on AQ.
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976455 by The Lost Boys
Jun 20, 2019 10:48am
Thread Board
It started with a fight between me and my boxing buddy that dissolved our friendship. Then I didn't want to run into her, so I started to LTC. It wasn't as fulfilling and I still had a lot of time. Then my kids didn't want to go as much, but do other things, so I signed up for more, but my creativity failed me and deadlines closed in. Just bringing out the pink stuff made my heart race and have me hyperventilating and freaking out. I felt like I wasn't good enough and I was letting everyone down, but I couldn't stop. I couldn't talk to anyone on AQ because I was feeling judged even though no one was. It was all in my head. And even though I say all of this out loud, I still have those feelings. I'm just missing boxing enough to try again. Fingers crossed.
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Reply to: #976467 by MissMoon
Jun 20, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
thanks for all these wonderful places to check out! I must check out waymarking. I agree with you about Roadside America. Can't wait to investigate!
Well, this is embarassing
Board: Yakking It Up
Jun 20, 2019 12:22pm
Thread Board
I have totally lost my signature stamp. Oops.

When helping my friends move out of the dorms at GMU, I put all my ink pads and my signature stamp in a bag, but by the time we checked out of campus, they weren't there. I thought maybe they had somehow moved bags/boxes or I put them in the wrong place, but my friend's last box was unpacked yesterday with no trace of my acorn.

I managed to carve another one last night, but has anyone else lost a signature stamp or anything else like that? logbooks? Carving tools? etc?
Jun 20, 2019 12:26pm
Thread Board
I'll check my stash.
Reply to: #976474 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jun 20, 2019 12:41pm
Thread Board
Go to the Boards page, click ‘Recent Threads’. They will show up whether you’ve read them or not.

The "Recent Threads" and "Recent Messages" widgets work the same way. As long you as you aren't ignoring them! =)

-- Ryan
Jun 20, 2019 12:43pm
Thread Board
I see on your event page to bring black ink. The stamps I am sending should be inked up in color.
Re: Well, this is embarassing
Reply to: #976480 by AdventurousAcorn
Jun 20, 2019 1:30pm
Thread Board
I lost a sig. stamp on the trail. It was later found but chewed on by an animal. I also left a logbook on the back of my car after returning from a trail and trying to take a pic of a raccoon & drove off. I never found it, although I found the walking stick and clue sheet in the parking lot after discovering my stupidity and returning.
rRe: Well, this is embarassing
Reply to: #976484 by Topcollector
Jun 20, 2019 1:53pm
Thread Board
I drove out of a cemetery with a logbook on the back of the car and off down the road. Got to the next cemetery and...........OH NOOOOO. Even drove back along that road looking but nothing, and nothing in the first cemetery.

Years ago I lost my trail stamp on a trail but it was in Connecticut and actually found by one of the gazillion boxers there and mailed back to me.

Thought I had lost the same trail stamp last year but it was buried down between the seats in the car in that place your hand will never fit....I guess. I swear I looked :::ALL OVER::: the car and couldn't find it. I guess it eventually went all the way down????....... because it "magically" appeared underneath the driver's side seat.
Reply to: #976485 by MissMoon
Jun 20, 2019 2:27pm
Thread Board
I think the worst part of it was that I had to climb back up the killer hill to get the 20+ stamps from the growing box. Before I realized I had lost it, I had just told my daughter that my boxing friend would have to go it alone because there's no way I was going to go back up that hill with her. I don't feel so bad since someone else drives off with stuff on their car too.
Reply to: #976487 by condo
Jun 20, 2019 2:44pm
Thread Board
I’m at an airport for our vacation with several printed clues in my carryon. I did not have the guts to even bring my sig stamp on this trip. I carved a small one to bring instead. My logic was I wasn’t going to see other boxers to exchange with, so why take the chance. I’m already having separation anxiety. I hope I didn’t make a mistake.
Reply to: #976483 by Teacup
Jun 20, 2019 3:19pm
Thread Board
That's not a problem. I plan on providing colored inks as needed.
Reply to: #976481 by SeerMeesh
Jun 20, 2019 3:21pm
Thread Board
Great!! Thanks!!
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976478 by SeerMeesh
Jun 20, 2019 4:05pm
Thread Board
Welcome back! Sorry this hobby brought you anxiety. I’ve been boxing only 2.5 years now and use it as an outlet, it helps get me out in the wilds and have made some friends through it. I hope it starts to bring you joy again.
Jun 20, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
Send me your address and I can get a few to you. Really no theme?
Reply to: #976488 by BinoBoxer
Jun 20, 2019 4:57pm
Thread Board
You should have taken your stamp. I happen to know that, if you lost it, it could be re-carved. <3
Reply to: #976493 by LROSEM
Jun 20, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
I panicked.
Reply to: #976480 by AdventurousAcorn
Jun 20, 2019 5:13pm
Thread Board
I lost a box. Literally. I went out, wrote down the clues, planted the box, then lost the clues before I could get home to post it.
Reply to: #976492 by greenmountainhiker
Jun 20, 2019 6:21pm
Thread Board
Oh p pack, if you get a greenmountainhiker stamp, you will be more than pleased, amazing carves!

Warrior Woman
knows stuff