A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #976429 by Rocket Raider
Jun 17, 2019 12:50pm
Thread Board
Wow, I didn't hear any sirens and I was up very late. Didn't see any debris in the morning. I heard all kinds of flood warnings for other counties, but none for Darke Co.
Re: new personal stamps
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976377 by coldsnap
Jun 17, 2019 12:58pm
Thread Board
I have changed mine, but I do have a suggestion...

The signature stamp for my old trail name was too large for some logbooks, so I carved a mini stamp to use. You could carve a new stamp to use and keep that one for the small logbooks you come across.
USPS Commemorative Stamps Postal Tracker
Board: Postals
Jun 17, 2019 1:08pm
Board
This annual event is open for prospective members to send their interest. See the tracker for details.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10253
Re: Be my Pokemon Go friend?
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #976432 by Rebiccola
Jun 17, 2019 3:17pm
Thread Board
Thatโ€™s great! Boxing and GO are quite compatible. I Sent you a PM
Cricut , scanncut and pink stuff
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Jun 17, 2019 4:04pm
Board
Anyone ever cut pink stuff with a SNC or cricut ?
Re: BTOTP!!!
Reply to: #976372 by Public Hand
Jun 17, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
Ladies, you have topped even yourselves and set the bar for event organizers to follow. You inspire us all to keep letterboxing fun for all ages, family-oriented, welcoming to all aspects of the hobby and especially, welcoming to anyone who is new to the circus of letterboxing! Thank you for all you do!
Re: sleeping giant box updates
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #976363 by DevilinDog
Jun 17, 2019 7:24pm
Thread Board
Toonces the Driving Cat: Found, relocated. Vegetation changed dramatically so the clues did not work at all.
Sleeping Giant State Park: Found
Will You? Found, everything OK
Sky 2015 Memories (bonus): Retired. Looked again, hard, this baby is really buried somewhere around the fall tree I guess.
Tarka the Otter (Red Circle Trail): Found (two boxes). A limb fell near box #2 I plan to cut, until then finders will just need to make due.
It Came Out Of Nowhere
Board: Doctor Who
Jun 17, 2019 8:06pm
Board
Re: A favor?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #976431 by Sits N Knits
Jun 18, 2019 4:29am
Thread Board
Dawn, I should be available to pick you up on Sunday 7/7.
Event this weekend
Board: State: Massachusetts
Jun 18, 2019 5:10am
Thread Board
If you're looking for some beautiful boxing by/in a lake this weekend, sign up for the It's Summer! Let's Get Wet! event in Wayland, MA: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4174
Reply to: #976413 by Team Awesome Pants
Jun 18, 2019 6:49am
Thread Board
I was going to say they should be inducted into the Letterboxing Event Hall of Fame, but National Treasure sounds better ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thank you for all of the love, fun, creativity and community you all bring together with your outstanding events, Tina and Mitzi! You truly keep Letterboxing alive and well for so many through your annual events. Thank you for your passion and dedication to it. Youโ€™ve greatly influenced me and Iโ€™m just one person. I canโ€™t imagine how many others youโ€™ve inspired and thrilled and continue to inspire and thrill throughout the years. Thank you for all you are, and all you do. And thank you to all of the amazing team of people that make the magic at your events ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽช

Bravo Bravo ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Standing O!

โ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Žโ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธโ™ฅ๏ธ
Re: Event this weekend
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #976443 by veganf and the Dolphins
Jun 18, 2019 7:11am
Thread Board
WOW!!!! This sounds like so much fun! Wish we could bring our kayaks and join you but we're already committed to the Dead & Co concert in Foxboro which is pretty much an all day event. It looks like you've put a ton of effort and thought into this. I'm sure that everyone who can attend will have a blast!!! Thanks for hosting - we'll definitely be there in spirit! ;o)

Pete
Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jun 18, 2019 12:50pm
Thread Board
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear. Is that intentional? I certainly don't care for it; reminding myself what I wrote is a key way I recall the experience.
Re: Bug Report: Can't See My Own Comments
Reply to: #976448 by Kirbert
Jun 18, 2019 1:01pm
Thread Board
When I look up a letterbox that I've found, my own comments don't appear.

Comments can be deleted or moderated by the owner of the box, so I wouldn't use it as a reliable way of leaving notes for yourself. You should use the "my note" option to leave notes for yourself. Those are yours and yours alone. Nobody else can see them, and nobody else can delete them.

If the owner of the box deletes or doesn't allow a comment, you'll have to discuss the issue with them. They have the right to delete any comment for any reason on their own boxes. (But you do too!)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #976372 by Public Hand
Jun 18, 2019 1:38pm
Thread Board
This was our first trip to Greenville, OH to a Prairie Event and we had such an amazing time. Thank you so much for all your hard work. We so lucked out with the weather from the sounds of it! A couple of days of lovely weather tucked between a whole lot of wet.

Someone even told us about a stamp on a wall of gum at the Maid Rite. What??? Crazy fun!

Saturday after dinner we headed to the Greenville Union Cemetery and found a few boxes before some terrifying clouds came rolling in and the water fell in buckets! Hokey pete. That was an experience. The last box we found was "Your Mom is All Wet." Perfection.

Bowl of Cherries and Hike-a-Lot
Reply to: #976444 by Chill E
Jun 18, 2019 2:35pm
Thread Board
And thank you for all your fabulous stamps that added to our fun. To every stamp I pulled out of a pouch I said 'wow'. They were all spectacular.

I loved the photo ops and the game on the picnic table--can't remember the name. So original.
Re: Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Reply to: #976396 by speedsquare
Jun 18, 2019 3:26pm
Thread Board
We're good here. The majority of the damage in Rush County was about 6 miles away from our farm. The worst was the Bentonville Church which is in Nurse Wanderseek's "neighborhood."
Adopt a box
Board: State: Michigan
Jun 18, 2019 6:40pm
Thread Board
I planted a box at Tahquamenon because our family had plans to go there every year. Things change, you know how that is and we have stopped having family reunions there. I'm wondering if there is someone in that area that would be willing to take over the maintenance of this box.
Re: Update: Life
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976254 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 6:46pm
Thread Board
Changing dates to fix routes.
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 10:31pm
Thread Board
What was it about AQ that gave you anxiety?
Oneonta Today
Board: State: New York
Jun 19, 2019 5:56am
Board
Oneonta, NY
I'm going to be here today, anyone want to meet?
June BOTM
Board: State: Florida
Jun 19, 2019 8:54am
Board
The June BOTM will be in place until 5:00pm on June 27th. Please make sure you stop by and get this great stamp!

Also note: the July BOTM clues will be DIFFERENT! I am moving on 6/28, so be sure to check out the new clues starting in July!

BB
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Reply to: #976416 by photopam
Jun 19, 2019 3:12pm
Thread Board
Thanks!

Along with a few different categories, this site also lists by state. :)

https://www.hmdb.org/results.asp?State=Texas

I found a ton of them just in the "near me" list. (New York)
Reply to: #976462 by MissMoon
Jun 19, 2019 3:54pm
Thread Board
When it is too hot to letterbox, I play at Waymarking and use the following links to help find Waymarks and to get the information needed to log a Waymark. Many of them would also provide terrific locations for letterboxes.

*National Register of Historic Places
*National Historic Landmarks
*Roadside America
*Virtual Globetrotting
*Pennsylvania Historical Markers - more complete than the listing on the Texas website and probably similar to websites for each state. Besides Pennsylvania, I have one bookmarked for Virginia, Florida, Delaware and New Jersey.
*Highpoint of Each State
Stamps needed for mini event
Board: Stamp Swap
Jun 19, 2019 4:09pm
Thread Board
Hello my fellow letterboxes!! I am in need of some stamps for a mini event in the works for the middle of July (yes, next month). There is no theme to the event and the stamps can be of anything at all. I don't care about the size either -- I will accept anything. If you have a retired stamp or old P.T. just lying around, I can use it!! My goal is to have at least 1 stamp from every state. If you can help me out with a stamp or two or know someone who can, please email me the details. All stamps will be promptly returned unless you would like them planted here in South-Central Ohio. Thanks everyone!!

Christy of p-pack
Re: Stamps needed for mini event
Board: Stamp Swap
Reply to: #976464 by p pack
Jun 19, 2019 4:26pm
Thread Board
I have four stamps you can have for keeps. Let me know how many you want!

Warrior Woman
sharing from RI
Reply to: #976463 by Janila
Jun 19, 2019 7:04pm
Thread Board
Waymarking is cool. I keep saying I'm going to get into it and never do. Roadside America is one of my all time favorite sites! That globetrotting looks interesting.

Survey Benchmarks are cool also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_marker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchmarking_(geolocating)

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/
Mini Event
Jun 19, 2019 8:11pm
Board
I just posted an event for next month - July 13th. I've been wanting to do this event for a while now -- kind of our way to "give back" and say thank you to everybody who continues to plant letterboxes and keep our hobby going. Hope to see you all soon!! Christy
Ahoy Matey in Ithaca
Board: State: New York
Jun 19, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
I was really, really lost while letterboxing in Sapsucker Woods. When I stopped to "look under" as my directions instructed I found the wrong box! I was totally not in the right spot for my quarry, but any box in a storm, right? This box was called Ahoy Matey (or something very similar) and it was planted 2009. It had several visitors but I suspect not recently. I stamped in but in a real hurry because the mosquitoes were swarming like that scene in African Queen so I didn't write any details in my book or think to snap a photo. Later I tried to look up "Ahoy Matey" boxes but found there were none in NY. One that had been retired from Carlisle, PA about 13 years ago seems like a good candidate for a replant; that one had been pulled due to flood with the apparent intention to re-plant, but was retired instead. The owners are not active on AQ and so I don't expect an answer to my inquiry. Has anyone found this box in Sapsucker Woods and know if it's listed or who the owners are?
How to get on state board?
Jun 19, 2019 9:30pm
Thread Board
Twice lately I have posted messages that I thought would be listed on the New York state board but they do not seem to be linked. For Group I used "United States Letterboxing" and for Board I used "State: New York". What am I doing wrong? And once I know the correct procedure, can I change the board on my existing messages or should I start over?

UPDATE: Ok, so I looked again and found that the posts are listed oldest to most recent, so I scroll down and see mine. But I still don't get notice that a new New York post is up. I always check the New York posts and assume others in the state do, so it is frustrating me that I am not alerted to look for a new post. Unless other people see the alert and I don't because I posted it??