About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

homemade paper good for logbooks?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Jun 16, 2019 7:01pm
Thread Board
I have used leaves and birchbark to make homemade paper in the past it makes really interesting paper that I found to be firm and durable (you can write on it with pencil and it shows up fine) however I have not made the paper for a while and was wondering if it would be too textured for stamps? If anyone knows more about this type of paper could they please let me know if I am remembering the paper correctly Its something I want to do with my daughter and I think she would enjoy making something with natural materials (she loves drawing with the nature pencils at her music lesson)
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976390 by MissMoon
Jun 16, 2019 7:16pm
Thread Board
Here's the site to search the ones in Texas
https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/

"The Atlas features more than 300,000 site records, including data on Official Texas Historical Markers and National Register of Historic Places properties in Texas. Also included are cemeteries, courthouses, museums, and sawmills across the state. You can search by keyword, county, address, historic designation, or site name to get instant access to detailed descriptions, historic photographs, and interactive maps."
Re: BTOTP!!!
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #976372 by Public Hand
Jun 16, 2019 7:20pm
Thread Board
THANK YOU for attending. Without all of you - there would be no event.

We are very blessed to have an amazing Park District with a very passionate team of individuals and volunteers. They made sure both venues and the parks were ready for our arrival. We are also grateful for friends and family willing to assist us with a venture like this. And could not do it without all the amazing talent of the carvers that donated stamps.

Denise and Stacey take care of our food and the kitchen. Our friend Dara and her daughter Sarah also helped during the busy lunch hour. Denise recruited her husband Herb to grill our delicious hot dogs.
Friends and devoted park volunteers - Barbie and Carolyn made the popcorn and snow cones. Their outfits were quite the surprise and so perfect!!
Denise's daughter and granddaughter were the adorable monkeys to the fabulous Organ Grinder - her son in law played the entertaining music as they roamed the park.
Our nephew and niece were the entertaining Lion Tamer and Ringmaster.
Naturalist Mandy was of great assistance all day! And park volunteer Jerry brought Pip, the Eastern Screech Owl around for a visit.

So - thank you!!!

We had such a blast. We had hoped our fifth prairie event would be a little bigger and better than the previous 4. This theme was such fun and so easily blossomed into a full blown circus. We have been steadily working on ideas and projects for almost a year now. We had such fun sharing it all with you. I have lots of photos to share. I will be posting them on Facebook.

We did have two stamps come up missing. Ring Two, Box 11 - 2 Faced. The pouch was found but not the stamp. It is a larger stamp of a woman with two heads. It was hidden on the boardwalk near the Sugar Shack. If anyone comes across it please let us know. We will continue to check the trail for it as well.

Today we retrieved the rest of the stamps. Fortunately the weather cooperated with us Saturday for the trails to be clear and passable. Last night however - it rained and rained and rained. We expected muddy trails and possible big puddles. But did NOT expect to find the way back trail (near the little bridge over the cute mossy pond) fully flooded. Twelve of our plants were under water or floating at their location. Fortunately the stamps had been put back where they were planted. So, as the water gradually rose, the bark/log and the pouch floated - but stayed at it's location. Crazy how that worked! We were able to find 11 of the 12 that were in water. Ring One, Box 28 - we could not find. The entire long log was floating at the trails edge with lots of debris and a piece of bark - but not the pouch or stamp. We are hoping when the water recedes we will be able to locate it. Not too bad though for 118 stamps out.

Thank you all again for making our event a fabulous success!! We look forward to seeing you all along the trails somewhere soon.
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #976401 by Star Hexen
Jun 16, 2019 7:36pm
Thread Board
Thanks for hosting again this year. Hal and I will be there with bells on!!!!!

Big Blue Team!
Need Stamps for Upcoming Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Jun 16, 2019 7:48pm
Thread Board
I need gnomes for m upcoming Christmas event. Here is the link if you'd like to help out.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10157
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 16, 2019 7:56pm
Thread Board
I have made homemade paper before, and I don't think it would be suitable for a logbook. In addition to the surface not being smooth enough for a good, stamped image, it also wouldn't have the "sizing" used in commercially-produced paper. When I used unsized papers in the past, I found the ink was absorbed into the paper, and all but disappeared. The sizing somewhat seals the paper, so the ink dries on the surface. I hope that helps?
Reply to: #976417 by GypsyLadybug
Jun 17, 2019 1:14am
Thread Board
I uploaded my shot of Pip the owl. I can't believe those pictures of you and Cookie Cutter saving the event stamps....you guys are awesome!!
Re: new personal stamps
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976414 by Dawnkey
Jun 17, 2019 2:21am
Thread Board
Well, maybe he does, but he doesn't call them that.

TomAYtoes, tomAHtoes. 🙂
Re: homemade paper good for logbooks?
Reply to: #976415 by Dustynfamily
Jun 17, 2019 2:33am
Thread Board
You could use the homemade paper for a beautiful logbook cover.
Christmas in July 2019 CANCELLED
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Jun 17, 2019 2:57am
Board
Good Morning,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I cancelled the Christmas in July event. Sorry for any inconvience this has caused. Hope to be back next year :) Take care, Lotus
Boxtoberfest CANCELLED
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Jun 17, 2019 3:21am
Board
Hello All!
I have to cancel Boxoberfest also. This was a difficult decision and wasn't made lightly. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused, I looked to forward to seeing you all! Hopefully we'll be able to get together again soon!! Best wishes, Lotus

For those who made reservations:
Cancellations can be made via the call center or web. Cancellations made up to close of business seven days prior to your scheduled arrival date will incur the $10 cancellation fee per reservation. If you cancel six days or less prior to the arrival date, you will forfeit the first night's fee. Changes to an online reservation must be made by calling the Pennsylvania State Parks Reservation Center at 888-PA-PARKS (888-727-2757) Monday through Saturday, 7:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, except for backpack camping, which are handled by the specific park.
I know there is a cancellation fee, and I am sorry about that. If you AQ email me your address and the cost of the fee, I will pay you back. I am sorry that I had to cancel after some already made reservations.
Re: A favor?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #976402 by Sits N Knits
Jun 17, 2019 4:33am
Thread Board
Dawn, what locations, date and time?
Re: Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #976418 by Big Blue Team
Jun 17, 2019 4:37am
Thread Board
Right on! Glad you can both make it!!
Reply to: #976417 by GypsyLadybug
Jun 17, 2019 5:28am
Thread Board
Thanks again to everybody involved. You guys are superb and created an exceptional event that others would easily be envious of.

We stayed in Dayton Saturday night and although it rained it was nothing like you experienced in Greenville. Crazy weather.
Re: Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Reply to: #976396 by speedsquare
Jun 17, 2019 5:46am
Thread Board
I was there for BTOTP and stayed at a hotel just 2 minutes away from the Richmond Mall. I was glad to get back to the hotel before the first sirens went, but then everything seemed ok. It was only when I left in the morning and drove through all the debris and damage that I realized I was almost in a tornado.

I hope everyone else got home safe, too.
Re: Need Stamps for Upcoming Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #976419 by The Woodshed
Jun 17, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
I might. I'll check my box... see if I still have materials and tools even. Lol.
Reply to: #976426 by The Merry Pranksters
Jun 17, 2019 11:10am
Thread Board
Pete,

I’m flying in to Boston on the 7th, landing at 11:00 am.
I should be at the Woburn bus depot after 12:00.
Re: Be my Pokemon Go friend?
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #961969 by Rebiccola
Jun 17, 2019 11:16am
Thread Board
Well, I decided that for Father's Day I should be more supportive of my Husband's hobbies, since he is very supportive of mine. So now I'm playing Pokémon Go too. My trainer code is 7889 3091 4922, and I am HollyOfTheDwarf. I sent some friend requests to some of the trainer codes listed in this thread, but I probably missed some because the board is looking wonky to me today. If anyone still plays, feel free to add me.
Re: Fortune's Fool
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #976074 by Mouse Nanny
Jun 17, 2019 12:31pm
Thread Board
That's wonderful. I hope she enjoys it. I am trying to move into a different library position eventually, but currently that, too.

Hope you all are doing well!
Re: Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Reply to: #976429 by Rocket Raider
Jun 17, 2019 12:50pm
Thread Board
Wow, I didn't hear any sirens and I was up very late. Didn't see any debris in the morning. I heard all kinds of flood warnings for other counties, but none for Darke Co.
Re: new personal stamps
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976377 by coldsnap
Jun 17, 2019 12:58pm
Thread Board
I have changed mine, but I do have a suggestion...

The signature stamp for my old trail name was too large for some logbooks, so I carved a mini stamp to use. You could carve a new stamp to use and keep that one for the small logbooks you come across.
USPS Commemorative Stamps Postal Tracker
Board: Postals
Jun 17, 2019 1:08pm
Board
This annual event is open for prospective members to send their interest. See the tracker for details.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10253
Re: Be my Pokemon Go friend?
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #976432 by Rebiccola
Jun 17, 2019 3:17pm
Thread Board
That’s great! Boxing and GO are quite compatible. I Sent you a PM
Cricut , scanncut and pink stuff
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Jun 17, 2019 4:04pm
Board
Anyone ever cut pink stuff with a SNC or cricut ?
Reply to: #976372 by Public Hand
Jun 17, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
Ladies, you have topped even yourselves and set the bar for event organizers to follow. You inspire us all to keep letterboxing fun for all ages, family-oriented, welcoming to all aspects of the hobby and especially, welcoming to anyone who is new to the circus of letterboxing! Thank you for all you do!
Re: sleeping giant box updates
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #976363 by DevilinDog
Jun 17, 2019 7:24pm
Thread Board
Toonces the Driving Cat: Found, relocated. Vegetation changed dramatically so the clues did not work at all.
Sleeping Giant State Park: Found
Will You? Found, everything OK
Sky 2015 Memories (bonus): Retired. Looked again, hard, this baby is really buried somewhere around the fall tree I guess.
Tarka the Otter (Red Circle Trail): Found (two boxes). A limb fell near box #2 I plan to cut, until then finders will just need to make due.
It Came Out Of Nowhere
Board: Doctor Who
Jun 17, 2019 8:06pm
Board
Reply to: #976431 by Sits N Knits
Jun 18, 2019 4:29am
Thread Board
Dawn, I should be available to pick you up on Sunday 7/7.
Event this weekend
Board: State: Massachusetts
Jun 18, 2019 5:10am
Thread Board
If you're looking for some beautiful boxing by/in a lake this weekend, sign up for the It's Summer! Let's Get Wet! event in Wayland, MA: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4174
Reply to: #976413 by Team Awesome Pants
Jun 18, 2019 6:49am
Thread Board
I was going to say they should be inducted into the Letterboxing Event Hall of Fame, but National Treasure sounds better 😉

Thank you for all of the love, fun, creativity and community you all bring together with your outstanding events, Tina and Mitzi! You truly keep Letterboxing alive and well for so many through your annual events. Thank you for your passion and dedication to it. You’ve greatly influenced me and I’m just one person. I can’t imagine how many others you’ve inspired and thrilled and continue to inspire and thrill throughout the years. Thank you for all you are, and all you do. And thank you to all of the amazing team of people that make the magic at your events 🎩🎪

Bravo Bravo 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻 Standing O!

♥️♥️♥️💎💎💎🤩😍🤩💎💎💎♥️♥️♥️