A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: new personal stamps
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976377 by coldsnap
Jun 15, 2019 4:43pm
Thread Board
I have been using the same pink eraser stamp for 17 years (though I don't find many boxes so it hasn't been used all that much). As long as it holds up, I'll keep using it for the same reason you stated: I'm attached to it.

I did carve a fancier one years ago and I think I used it on a couple of postal letterboxes, but it didn't feel authentic. I don't even know where it is now.

You could always carve another stamp and try it out. Maybe it will feel more "you" than the old one. If not, just go back to your original. :)
Re: BTOTP!!!
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #976372 by Public Hand
Jun 15, 2019 5:04pm
Thread Board
So well said. Thanks to not only our fabulous hosts, GypsyLadybug and Cookie Cutter, but also all the extra hands involved. I thank you, and my grandchildren thank you for all the clowny fun we are going to have together!
Jun 15, 2019 5:15pm
Thread Board
Do you guys ever re-cut yours? I made mine three years ago, the very first stamp I ever did, out of a pink eraser using an old blunt x-acto knife. I've gotten a LOT better at linocuts and I like the artform a lot! (Thanks letterboxing!) But I still feel kinda attached to my first one ever.

My first two carves were on pink erasers; I wanted to try out carving before I committed to using other material. I used an X-acto knife, but not a blunt one. My first carve was for a geocaching letterbox hybrid, which is too far from any landmarks (except sagebrush) to list here; it must be found using a GPSr.

My second carve was my (first) signature stamp. However, I used it enough that it had lost too much detail. I still have it though. I keep it with the other carves of my signature stamps. They are all the same image because I started with an idea I like and I haven't come up with anything I like better.

My second signature stamp carve I messed up too many of the details on the lettering. I flipped it over and carved on the other side because the outline has mirror symmetry. It is much better, and I carved it before my original stamp gave out. I used it for a while, but decided that I could carve better.

My third signature stamp carve is my best. Besides getting the lettering better, I also added my home town at the bottom of my stamp. It was good enough for me to mount it on a wooden block, so that it is easier to stamp.
Reply to: #976382 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jun 15, 2019 5:19pm
Thread Board
I didn’t carve my sig stamp myself but after reading this thread I’m inspired to make a mini sig to carry along.
Happy Cake Day karmakat
Board: State: Georgia
Jun 15, 2019 5:35pm
Board
You and your meow buddies have a great day!
Jun 15, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
Thank you for a wonderful weekend of your creativity in a beautiful park!

TeachJR
Jun 15, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
I used a store-bought stamp for about a year, then carved my own. A few years later, when my carving skills had improved, I made a new 2 part stamp. I still use it sometimes, but it got to be too putzy to have to ink up 2 stamps in 2 different colors every time I stamped in. So, I carved stamp #3, which is the one I use most of the time, now. It has an updated image that includes my trail name.
Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 15, 2019 6:05pm
Thread Board
Found this while doing some googling for a mystery box. What a great source for places to put historical boxes!

https://www.hmdb.org
Reply to: #976388 by TeachJR
Jun 15, 2019 6:57pm
Thread Board
Thank you all for the kind words! We had a blast planning this event. For those who asked: TGS is The Greatest Showman. That set references songs from the movie. MGS is Merry -Go-Steampunk; the mechanical merry go round animals set that matches the trading cards in the welcome packet.
Jun 15, 2019 9:44pm
Thread Board
How about carving a new stamp. Then see how you like using it. If it’s OK, make your original stamp a personal traveler. It would still be very personal and very special.
Jun 16, 2019 2:03am
Thread Board
Re: Cool Source For Letterbox Locations
Reply to: #976390 by MissMoon
Jun 16, 2019 5:31am
Thread Board
Tell Brandy!
Re: Revival of long ago boxer?
Reply to: #976375 by Okie Dog
Jun 16, 2019 7:41am
Thread Board
Thanks - it's fun to be back. I'd forgotten how exciting the hunt can be.

At the end of the school year I dug out my old journals and supplies and got the bug again.

We've talked Happy Days into getting back into it again too (although they've changed their trail name to Good Ole Days).

We spent last weekend in Ardmore and only scratched the surface of that treasure trove!
Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Jun 16, 2019 9:26am
Thread Board
I'm thinking about anyone camping overnight last night. And Jabber - is everyone okay? Locally several mall businesses suffered some damage and true to form ... the townsfolk are driving to assess the damage. I even saw the TV news car drive through the mall lot.

We are okay. Went to bed early and never heard the warning sound.
Jun 16, 2019 10:10am
Thread Board
Well-said! I agree & wanted to add my own personal thank-you to the hosts, staff, and facilities for hosting this incredible event! It really was the Greatest(letterboxing) Show on Earth! I also really valued being able to see & spend time with all of my long-time letterboxing friends that I have been missing so much since my move...it was awesome to see all of you again-I miss you guys! Tina & Mitzi....I hate to say it, but, it's gonna be tough to top this one! Thanks so much for the great party!!💕
Jun 16, 2019 10:39am
Thread Board
I could not agree more, word-for-word on everything that has already been said! Stunning carvings, insane theme from beginning to end where you just can't believe how everything fit together including containers, costumes, food and decorations. Then the photo op boards were icing on the cake?! Tina, grats on your Pres of Commissioners role!! Tina and Mitzi, you two should be beyond proud of a top shelf event and ALL you have done to support this preserve!!! Huge hugs and equally big thanks for out doing yourselves! Still blinking in utter amazement!! ❤❤
Reply to: #976391 by CookieCutter
Jun 16, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
Thank you for the bonus LTCs?!?!!!
Re: Severe Weather Saturday Night?
Reply to: #976396 by speedsquare
Jun 16, 2019 10:43am
Thread Board
Speedsquare, I kept looking for you!! I heard Jabbers name called for raffle! Nursewanderseek, too! Glad you guys are ok!
Announcing BoxON! 2019: Letterboxing Flashbacks
Board: Province: Ontario
Jun 16, 2019 12:02pm
Thread Board
Dear friends (and enemies):

Vivian the Viking and I are pleased to announce that we are hosting the 14th annual BoxON! Come share your letterboxing memories and stories with us on October 5, 2019 in Cambridge. Here is the event link: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4194

More details TBA as they emerge....
A favor?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Jun 16, 2019 12:03pm
Thread Board
I need a ride to camp from the bus depot, with a stop at the Market Basket.
Also, does anyone have a cot I could borrow?

Thanks,
Dawn
Sits N Knits
Jun 16, 2019 2:13pm
Thread Board
I've had several--big ones, tiny ones. Several different tops.
Jun 16, 2019 4:06pm
Thread Board
I have a few different sig stamps, including an old one that I keep in my car for boxing emergencies. You'll see my regular one soon when we do an exchange! 😊
Reply to: #976404 by Rocklun
Jun 16, 2019 4:13pm
Thread Board
“Boxing emergencies”

I love that.
Reply to: #976405 by Dawnkey
Jun 16, 2019 4:34pm
Thread Board
I laughed out loud over “boxing emergencies”. So after reading all this I made myself a little emergency sig stamp. Funny thing, it’s looks like Rocklun.
Reply to: #976406 by BinoBoxer
Jun 16, 2019 4:41pm
Thread Board
I laughed out loud over “boxing emergencies”. So after reading all this I made myself a little emergency sig stamp. Funny thing, it’s looks like Rocklun.

Uh-oh! Now I'm scared...
Reply to: #976405 by Dawnkey
Jun 16, 2019 4:42pm
Thread Board
“Boxing emergencies”

I love that.

My husband sort of rolls his eyes at that, along with "birding emergencies," but hey, we all know that it's a thing, don't we??
Reply to: #976408 by Rocklun
Jun 16, 2019 5:06pm
Thread Board
Wait, are you a birder? My husband is a birder. But I’ve never heard him talk about birding emergencies.
Reply to: #976409 by Dawnkey
Jun 16, 2019 5:10pm
Thread Board
Wait, are you a birder? My husband is a birder. But I’ve never heard him talk about birding emergencies.

Yep, I'm a birder! And so is BinoBoxer! But how can your hubby be a birder if he doesn't have birding emergencies??!!

I define a "birding emergency" as a situation where a birder friend texts you to say that Bird X is being seen near you, and you have to rush out right away to see it! This happens to me at least half a dozen times a year!!
Reply to: #976410 by Rocklun
Jun 16, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
It is not uncommon for my husband to find a simple note on the counter saying “bird emergency” because there isn’t enough time to explain. He doesn’t know if I’ll be gone 2 hours or three days. I keep a bag packed, truly.
Reply to: #976391 by CookieCutter
Jun 16, 2019 5:45pm
Thread Board
You two would be national treasures if we in the Midwest were willing to share ... you are so loved.