Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Do you find HH's are pretty much ignored?
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #976261 by MamaZuke
Jun 12, 2019 7:39am
Thread Board
I found one last month that I knew of the box it was in, but managed to keep driving by without remembering to stop... this time I was in a boxing mood and remembered... so I logged the box and found the HH which I left behind simply because I was on my way to seek long lost boxes of uncertain status... a few never founds... That penchant is one reason I have few finds... I seek the lonely and missing ones... since that seems to be all there is around here... anyway, I just felt that it was better left there to be found and not stuck in a bag where I might have to leave it back where I found it anyway... I did find two 'lost and lonely' boxes on the trip and a near miss I think on one I went for primarily. While out I also have leads on a few more by the same hiders... I like that sort of thing over drivebys...
Better yet if there is a puzzle involved, but 'lost and lonely' is a different type of puzzle to me... but I will base moving on the chances of finding a box big enough to take it that isn't full already and such... Certainly won't move an AQ based HH to a Geocache Hybrid or vice versa... don't think that is fair game unless... the owner specifies that as OKAY with them...

There are not a lot of either near here, but there are more hybrids than boxes...
Jun 12, 2019 8:06am
Thread Board
Years ago when I realized that they very often stay in people's backpacks or cars or drawers at home I lost interest in them. I planted two when I first started boxing and never did another one. One of those sat in someone's house for 3 months.

I leave them for someone else if I find one in a box. I did however take one a few years back because it had been out there for many years, been all over the country, was a perfect size, really cool, and someone had left it in a box that very obviously got almost NO traffic. It had been sitting there for a year so I moved it on. I looked it up just now and the last word was in Connecticut in 2015. Nothing after that so it's fate is unknown.

So.....
Reply to: #976275 by MissMoon
Jun 12, 2019 8:58am
Thread Board
Haha...the Cross Family has mixed Emotions!... James Really likes them and will go out of his way to do all he can( We purchased a Special Stamp just the right size ( usually), just for H,/h s...lisa does not mind H/H. ...as fir Cooties @ Events,We thought it would be Wild and Crazy,Fun,but We were so disappointed when Very few People wanted to participate by logging them and passing them on...We are in the learning process...to Each their own.... Hopefully people who read this Column will Keep the Game Going One Way or Another.....with or without out Hh's and Cooties......Happy Summer to u All!
Jun 12, 2019 9:02am
Thread Board
I've found a few and it is always really exciting when I do but when it comes down to logging them I always find that they haven't traveled far or they aren't logged for months at a time or longer. It's hard to replant them because I never know if they are going to languish in a box for years or if people are taking them but not logging which isn't fun but still better than them sitting. I think the biggest problem in my area is most of the actual boxes are old and have been found by all the people who letterbox around here or people just aren't really letterboxing anymore in my area.
Reply to: #976276 by Cross Family
Jun 12, 2019 9:07am
Thread Board
I have a love /hate relationship w. HHs. I enjoy finding and moving along. What bothers me is finding one and it has not been logged into the host box log. I do the right thing and log so others can see where it has been. What is the use of just moving it without a log of where it has been? No one knows otherwise.
Reply to: #976265 by JampersandJ
Jun 12, 2019 9:11am
Thread Board
i (we, you know I'm talking about you) have found HHs as large as 4"x6", left attached or on or under the letterbox. No, I don't take those. I've only taken one that was 4x6 because it was in a red metal box and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Another was crammed into a box causing the lid to skew and get everything wet. (Remember the tire iron incident?)

Someone, (you know who you are too) volunteered to take a pile of HHs off my hands.

Many boxes in my neck of the woods are too small and already crammed with the log book and stamp that there's no room for anything else.

I rarely take a HH because it will probably sit for ages before I can move it more than down the street. I don't stamp HHs if I don't take them.
Re: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, you have no idea how sorry I am
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #976259 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 12, 2019 9:25am
Thread Board
Yes, my ears have holes
That are large enough for voles.
I can wear an anaconda
Or look like Jane Fonda
I can loop them on my head
You can tie me to the bed
Yes, my ears have holes.
Jun 12, 2019 9:51am
Thread Board
I've only found two, and I remember one started out in Connecticut and in several jumps made its way to Illinois, where I found it. I took it to Wisconsin and sent it on its way from a box there. I'd never ignore one, it's fun to see how far they can go!
Jun 12, 2019 10:35am
Thread Board
I love finding HHs! I try to replant them as soon as possible and I always log them...[wait, did I log that one from June 1?? Better check...]

My niece and I launched one of my earliest (slightly too big I now realize) on a family trip in FL with a message to alert me if it ever came to my home region. I didn't hear much from it except that it moved to CO quickly. A few years later it was returned to my area! It had been to TX along the way. It was so much fun for us to "find it" again and then send it back out into the world.
It's Trekkie Day!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Jun 12, 2019 11:15am
Thread Board
Happy AQVersary to everyone's favorite TrekkieGal!!!
Re: It's Trekkie Day!
Reply to: #976283 by wassamatta u
Jun 12, 2019 11:26am
Thread Board
Happy cake day, TrekkieGal!
Reply to: #976245 by Wry Me
Jun 12, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
Haven't thought of that song in years.
Reply to: #976283 by wassamatta u
Jun 12, 2019 1:13pm
Thread Board
Thank you, kind moose!

TG
Jun 12, 2019 1:18pm
Thread Board
I tended to use carved stamps that I thought were too small for a regular box. Instead of not using them, I turned them into HH's. I think I have 5 of them out. It's just sad to me that no one takes the time to log these. I know that at least 2 of them had the boxes that they were hiding in found. So to me that means that they were in fact found and not logged. I'll probably still do HH's. I also love finding them and passing them along. It's like a dying part of this hobby!
Jun 12, 2019 2:03pm
Thread Board
I love HH's. I love making and finding them and hearing where mine are. I like to make them to match the theme of a box and use it as a First Finder prize. I usually don't hear from them. I used to think HHH's were a good thing. But the last few events I have been to, people bring big HHH's full to the top with HH's. I have a feeling that's where mine go :/
Reply to: #976288 by christmas6
Jun 12, 2019 4:05pm
Thread Board
It's very sad
Reply to: #976286 by Trekkie Gal
Jun 12, 2019 4:37pm
Thread Board
You're a teenager now!!! Congrats! =)

-- Ryan
Traps on Newport trails
Board: State: Rhode Island
Jun 12, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
Press release today -

‘Newport Police want to inform visitors to Miantonomi Memorial Park using the hiking trails the following message;
An incident regarding the placement of string and wire type materials across several hiking trails has been discovered. These items were promptly removed.
This act could present a hazard to those unsuspecting hikers and walkers using the trails in the park. Newport Police urges anyone with information on this incident or the discovery of new such hazards to contact the police department at the non-emergency numbers of 847-1306’

I dunno who is doing this and where it may happen again, so box seekers in R.I., use extra caution.

Warrior Woman
as if black bears and bobcats weren’t enough trouble around here
Re: Traps on Newport trails
Reply to: #976291 by Warrior Woman
Jun 12, 2019 6:32pm
Thread Board
Not again. Didn’t this happen like 2 years ago, but I’ve forgotten where? It was someone trying to stop dirt bike riders, but in the worst way possible :(
Re: Traps on Newport trails
Reply to: #976292 by Honeychyck
Jun 12, 2019 6:57pm
Thread Board
Newport has some bad mojo going on, including the deliberate poisoning of trees

Warrior Woman
safely on the other side of both bridges
Reply to: #976289 by MamaZuke
Jun 12, 2019 7:03pm
Thread Board
I LOVE HH! I am still pretty new at letterboxing, so I have no problem finding boxes to move them along to. I have a few cooties out and about, and get a kick out of seeing them logged in, so I always pass along the courtesy of logging in a find of any kind. I agree with the previous comments about having the HH & logbook a small size.
Reply to: #976285 by Topcollector
Jun 12, 2019 7:05pm
Thread Board
No doubt, you had your reasons. Probably excellent ones.
Reply to: #976295 by Wry Me
Jun 12, 2019 8:06pm
Thread Board
I remember singing it with my kids, when they were kids. My oldest will be 40 next year. Yikes.
Jun 13, 2019 3:02am
Thread Board
I love HHs! I have many out in the wild and get reports occasionally. It doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t matter to me if they sit in a box or a backpack for a while either. As far as I’m concerned, they are a bit like a box. Some don’t see a lot of action. But I always take HHs, log in and move them along. It’s still fun to me to open and box and find an extra surprise.
June 21st Hike Naked Day
Board: Walking4Fun
Jun 13, 2019 3:03am
Thread Board
Where will you go?
Brownie points for photos. (discrete, discreet photo of GT earn bonus points)
Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Jun 13, 2019 6:39am
Thread Board
Governor Lamont just announced Sleeping Giant State Park will reopen tomorrow! Lets go check on those boxes!
Re: June 21st Hike Naked Day
Board: Walking4Fun
Reply to: #976299 by Grrly Girl
Jun 13, 2019 7:13am
Thread Board
No plans to hike naked this year. Sorry! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Reply to: #976300 by Hurcher
Jun 13, 2019 7:19am
Thread Board
Hmmm, I had other plans but I do have Friday off. Anyone else thinking of going there tomorrow?
Jun 13, 2019 7:20am
Thread Board
Who’s in? I have tomorrow off to check on some.
Jun 13, 2019 8:00am
Thread Board
I'm in! I get out of work at 2 and I work in New Haven!