A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Do you have any messed up stamps?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #976212 by Trishee
Jun 11, 2019 1:41am
Thread Board
Yes! That would be great. As long as it is family friendly, I would appreciate having it. I will send you the mailing address. Thank you!
Re: How far have you driven to find a specific letterbox?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976215 by Sunia
Jun 11, 2019 3:14am
Thread Board
WOW, I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods; but now that I hear all these delightful stories it won't be so hard to justify any longer.
Reply to: #976224 by Sagacorn
Jun 11, 2019 4:42am
Thread Board
I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods

"JUST"???? lol

The only justification you need is that you are doing something you enjoy. Life is short. :)

“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about” ~ George Kingsley
Re: Caveman's event was a big success!
Board: State: Illinois
Reply to: #976155 by carry on grandma
Jun 11, 2019 7:18am
Thread Board
Another success! The cleverness and creativity of the clues never ceases to amaze me! Fun time.
Reply to: #976150 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 11, 2019 9:55am
Thread Board
9 hours round trip to find a pair of boxes.
Then the same trip a few years later to repair those 20+ year old boxes!

I also drove 30 hours each way to attend an event. It was for the eclipse, but I could have picked a spot only 12-15 hours from home!
Re: Happy..........
Board: Knitters and the Fiber Arts
Reply to: #976119 by a knitwit
Jun 11, 2019 11:15am
Thread Board
Sounds like you love knitting as much as I love quilting! I have 2 walls in my sewing room full of cabinets filled with fabric and have just added more cabinets to our daughter's old room (vacated 15 years ago) because it was spilling I needed more room.
Then I go and buy a 10-foot "long-arm" quilting machine! My rationalization is that I'll finally quilt and give away a couple dozen quilts whose tops are finished and that will help to de-clutter.

Anybody buy that? LOLOLOL!!

DoubleSaj
aka #DianeLovesQuilts
aka Rabid Quilter
Reply to: #976237 by RIclimber
Jun 11, 2019 1:33pm
Thread Board
9 hours round trip to find a pair of boxes.
Then the same trip a few years later to repair those 20+ year old boxes!

good job! I like it :)
Reply to: #976224 by Sagacorn
Jun 11, 2019 1:37pm
Thread Board
WOW, I've always had trouble justifying to myself driving more than an hour or so JUST to find plastic in the woods; but now that I hear all these delightful stories it won't be so hard to justify any longer.

And I think it's because we aren't just finding
plastic in the woods

. We are looking for a treasure; a piece of unique art; a hand carved piece of art; the hike or walk through the woods; the finding of a special piece of history or nature where the box is hidden; the experience---the whole package. It much more than a piece of plastic in the woods!
Reply to: #976215 by Sunia
Jun 11, 2019 1:38pm
Thread Board
I have a series no one even tried to find. It's been waiting a year!

I understand....so do I :( Someday....someone will come :) Don't give up!
Reply to: #976152 by SherlockMiles
Jun 11, 2019 2:21pm
Thread Board
May I ask which box? I’m in VT a lot...
Re: 4 event boxes need homes.
Board: State: Washington
Reply to: #975759 by Litter Boxer
Jun 11, 2019 2:38pm
Thread Board
Always looking for stamps and even event boxes. Send any-anytime!
Re: I'm just gonna leave this right here...
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #975963 by Grrly Girl
Jun 11, 2019 2:47pm
Thread Board
I was a bit concerned that the little bird might poke his head out of the short-short nest.

That's what they call "building suspense."
Re: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, you have no idea how sorry I am
Reply to: #976026 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 11, 2019 2:56pm
Thread Board
All beauty standards are arbitrary. Still. What posseses a person to contemplate their earlobes and say, "You know what would make these badass? A giant hole! They could wobble to and fro, I could tie them in a knot, I could tie them in a bow."
Update: Life
Jun 11, 2019 3:30pm
Thread Board
I hope this message finds you well. It's been a long time since I've been on this site. This is going to be a doozy for me, so sit back and buckle up!
I want to explain why I've been gone so long from letterboxing. It's actually a mixture of a bunch of things .
First we're going to talk about why it was so hard for me to come back to the site . Somethin that wants head held so much joy had turned into almost a nightmare. I have never felt anxiety the way I had when I had opend atlasquest. I couldn't talk to my friends who had been stamping by my side for many years. I was ashamed of my anxiety and couldn't force myself to come back to the site. It seems silly looking back on it. It's hard even now, but I have a ray of hope. A potential boxing buddy. A new friend who found one of my boxes by accident. I'm hoping to show her the wonders of boxing and reconnect with people I've missed.
Secondly, it's with difficult news to tell you all that MissMo is going in for surgery next month. She's 14 now - hard to believe she's so grown up - but was diagnosed with a low grade brain tumor - a little bigger than a jellybean - and has been through numerous years of tests now. Many of you all were super kind to her as she was often one of the youngest to spend time with us. I'm sure she'll be fine, but to know why she's not been up to joining me. She's endured a lot, but she's using sarcasm and dark humor to get by.
Then there's my son - SuperGav. It's been tough with dealing with his mental issues as well, taking up a lot of free time.
So here I am, I think 4 years after my last boxing attempt, trying to come back. I missed you guys.....
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 3:33pm
Thread Board
It is an absolute joy to welcome you back!!!
Jun 11, 2019 3:37pm
Thread Board
It was a lovely afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality shown by Caveman and his family. It was a fun, unique event. Many thanks!!!
Reply to: #976247 by wassamatta u
Jun 11, 2019 4:24pm
Thread Board
Thanks. And one of my first acts of business is to check my boxes.
Reply to: #976242 by detective
Jun 11, 2019 4:41pm
Thread Board
May I ask which box? I’m in VT a lot...

One of mine.
Reply to: #976249 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
I don't know you, but I very nearly went looking for a few of your boxes today. Instead I searched in vain for some very old Mathman boxes, but it is still pretty funny to log in here and see your name pop up. Tell me which series is hardest for you to get to and I can make them my goal this week and send you updates, if you want. I'm fairly equidistant to all of your series, which is why I recognized your name right away. :)
Jun 11, 2019 4:59pm
Thread Board
How successful was it? Well, Reluctant Traveler says it's the only event he likes. He got his clues in hand and started finding boxes before I even got myself organized and ready to begin! We both had a wonderful day ~ thank you, Caveman, and your intrepid team of tricky folks!
Re: 4 event boxes need homes.
Board: State: Washington
Reply to: #976243 by Crazy GMA
Jun 11, 2019 5:09pm
Thread Board
The Cross family lives in Michigan, and we are also interested in Halloween series...same as Everyone else they would have to be mailed to us...and we would be Happy to Re-imburse You for Postage.
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:21pm
Thread Board
I'm looking to go to Menomonee Park on the 23rd. Those seem to be bad and there are 4 loops so I'll be there all day. Then I'm looking to check in at Algonquin Park, Kletzch park and Fox River Park in July. Brown Deer's series may be a wash as there were quite a few missing already. Trying to remember what else I have out there.... lol.
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:22pm
Thread Board
Always looking for a travel buddy!
Re: Do you have any messed up stamps?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #976222 by RDHG
Jun 11, 2019 6:43pm
Thread Board
Whaaat? Of course it’s family friendly. Do you know me from Facebook or something? Lol. I’ll send it soon.
Reply to: #976245 by Wry Me
Jun 11, 2019 7:51pm
Thread Board
A giant hole! They could wobble to and fro, I could tie them in a knot, I could tie them in a bow."

You mean, like this? Or this similar song?
Reply to: #976245 by Wry Me
Jun 11, 2019 8:27pm
Thread Board
A giant hole! They could wobble to and fro, I could tie them in a knot, I could tie them in a bow.

Do your ears have holes? ♫
That are large enough for voles? ♩
Did you tie through a knot? ♪
Did you tie through a bow?♪
Did you throw them over your shoulder ♫
Tied to a boulder? ♬
Do your ears have holes?♫
Anniversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Jun 11, 2019 9:30pm
Board
Happy Anniversary.....Hike a Lot!.... May You keep the Game Going and have a little Fun while your at it!.. Cross Family.
Do you find HH's are pretty much ignored?
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Jun 12, 2019 4:10am
Thread Board
I'm questioning whether HH's are worth setting out on their journey because mine seem to never go anywhere. The boxes they are in have been found though. Maybe they are being replanted but no one has listed any of them as being found. I put the name and contact info on the stamps and also baggie. Some have log books as well that are also labeled. Some have been out there since 2017.
Are any of you finding the same thing?
Re: Do you find HH's are pretty much ignored?
Reply to: #976261 by MamaZuke
Jun 12, 2019 4:44am
Thread Board
I have 87 hitchhikers out there, the first being sent out in 2012 and the last in 2016. In the last 2 years (June 2017 until now), I've had reports from 24 of them, with one of them being a 2012 plant. I just look at them as "bonus find reports." If I hear from one of them, it's a good day. I realize that people may choose not to participate with hitchhikers, not record them when found, or not move them along (for several reasons...lost in the bottom of a letterbox bag...forgotten in between letterbox trips...).

Just my observations over the years.
Re: Do you find HH's are pretty much ignored?
Reply to: #976262 by Angel Winks
Jun 12, 2019 5:07am
Thread Board
Maybe a National Hitchhiker Day is in order. I better clean out my bag in search for Fleas and Cooties.