A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Scouttrekkie anniversary!
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #975994 by Red Bird
Jun 7, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
Oh my gosh, thank you! I had to check what year it is and it's my 9th year! I really enjoyed boxing with you all and the crazy fun times. It's ashamed how fast time flies by whenever we're having such fun. Hope we get to cross paths soon to do it again.
Re: Letterboxing for Travelers Blog Post
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #976039 by RDHG
Jun 7, 2019 4:31pm
Thread Board
Really well-written, and I especially appreciate that you point them toward the history and etiquette, and emphasize taking care of the environment/leave no trace. I think it's too common for people to hear a just a snippet about it, and rush out to try it, without regard to taking care of the boxes, the environment, and the hobby's reputation. You also mention my favorite part, the wonderful places you might never have occasion to see, were it not for letterboxing.

I'm tempted to steal the major points and publicize it around here, which has become a wasteland of letterboxers, and see if it could stimulate new interest. Of course, I would not use your family photos, even though they look like you have a lot of fun on your travels!! LOL!!
Re: Letterboxing for Travelers Blog Post -- Mosaic Butterfly
Reply to: #976077 by Mosaic Butterfly
Jun 7, 2019 7:38pm
Thread Board
Thank you bunches! I am glad that you enjoyed it. 😆
Re: Letterboxing for Travelers Blog Post -- Wise Wamderer
Reply to: #976079 by Wise Wanderer
Jun 7, 2019 7:42pm
Thread Board
I appreciate that. I tried to talk about everything that people could possibly need to know to start, and I appreciate that some folks who are in the know, so to speak, agree with the points on which I focused. 👍

You are welcome to share the blog post. First of all, I really do not mind if you share the post and let folks read it. Second of all, bloggers love it when people share our posts. LOL. 😁
Re: Memorial letterbox
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #976040 by Baqash
Jun 8, 2019 4:58am
Thread Board
That might be stretching it to get a noxer to do.

I'll bet there is a boxer who would help.

Wonderful idea! But please, far in the future.
Re: I'm trying to make a series of boxes I'm building "Reserved"
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #975668 by Wronghat
Jun 8, 2019 12:31pm
Thread Board
I'll write down all the clues here at my computer so I can replace if lost - thanks! I didn't think of that :>.
Reply to: #976064 by wassamatta u
Jun 8, 2019 12:36pm
Thread Board
What is wrong with you people?
I'm not yet dead in my grave and you're laughing at someone who would take their precious time and visit a lonely boxer who can never again go boxing.

I WILL HAUNT YOU!
Reply to: #976073 by MissMoon
Jun 8, 2019 12:41pm
Thread Board
It's in my Archive mail.
How can I delete a find?
Jun 8, 2019 5:06pm
Thread Board
I need to delete a find but I don't see a way to do it. I hope someone can help me out! Thanks.
Re: How can I delete a find?
Reply to: #976089 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jun 8, 2019 5:17pm
Thread Board
Go to the 'view find' page. Find your green check mark; click on it and hit 'delete'. If more than one find needs deleting each one is done seperately.
Reply to: #976090 by Sagacorn
Jun 8, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
Thank you!
Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Jun 8, 2019 6:19pm
Thread Board
Today I was watching MacGyver's episode "Eye of Osiris". They ended up trapped in the tomb of Anubis, a name Richard Dean Anderson would later encounter in Stargate SG-1.

Nothing of any consequence, except for the Anubis connection.
Reply to: #976090 by Sagacorn
Jun 9, 2019 12:01am
Thread Board
There's only a 'view find' page if you're a premium member.
Jun 9, 2019 5:39am
Thread Board
You can record find again but Mark it as N/A instead of Found or Attempted.
Responding to a non AQ member's request for clues.
Jun 9, 2019 6:16am
Thread Board
Hopefully I'm not asking a question that has been beaten to death in the past. I know there are letterboxers who don't record their letterboxes, don't plant, and are not members of AQ. I got a request for information from someone that falls in this category. I feel leery giving out the clues to them, but I don't want to cause bad feelings or bad press in general about our hobby and being classified as an elite group. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
donutz716
Re: Responding to a non AQ member's request for clues.
Reply to: #976100 by donutz716
Jun 9, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
I'm curious: how did they contact you to ask for letterbox clues? Do you know them personally?

If you don't know them, I'd suggest not giving out clues and instead recommending that they join AQ. I'd play up what a great community AQ is and how many clues will be available to them if they join.

If you do know them, you might want to give out clues to your boxes, but I'd recommend that you not give out clues to other folks' boxes.
Jun 9, 2019 7:06am
Thread Board
If I got a request like that, I would ask for their real email address so you could attach the clue as a file (mainly so you can get their email), and then chat them up for a bit. How long have you been boxing? Do you know such-and-such person? Then I'd decide whether or not to send the clue. If they don't respond, then you know that waiting was a good idea.
Jun 9, 2019 7:30am
Thread Board
You can also just go into your own logbook and see the icons on the two columns on the right, the little AQ icon and the one that looks like a little computer screen. Click on the computer and you'll get a page where you can choose to delete the find.

I assume this is not a premium feature.
Jun 9, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
I got a request for information from someone that falls in this category. I feel leery giving out the clues to them

There are people who just have trouble figuring out how to work websites. This could just be one of those people. They heard about letterboxing and came to this website to learn more but can't figure out how to look up clues.

Or maybe they got to the box details page of a box and couldn't figure out that the clue itself is on a different page.

Unless they're really specific, it's hard to guess where they might have gone astray and people who don't know what they're doing.... more often than not, they aren't very specific. Their problems tend to be described in terms like "It doesn't work!"

Well, it's that interesting. Yeah....

You don't have to give out private clues. You don't even have to give them clues. Just tell them how to look up clues.

1. Run a search for the location where you want to look for letterboxes. (There's a form for that on the main home page.)
  2. Click on the name of the box if you want to get more details about the box. Click on the "clue" button on the right side if you want to read the clue itself.

And see where it goes from there.

"I did that, but it doesn't work!" or "Oh, yes, I see it now!" or "I did that, but nothing showed up in my area." or... who knows?

-- Ryan
Jun 9, 2019 8:37am
Thread Board
Are they wanting clues to your own boxes or clues to OTHER boxes? When my cousins & I plant, we use the restriction that says the person searching for the clues must be a member of AQ. So none of our boxes would show for the particular boxers you're talking about. Nor would we want them to. By requiring that small bit of a thing, I don't consider that elitist. I consider it to at least be doing the minimum to protect our boxes given that there ARE vandals out there.

If these people are already letterboxers, maybe consider sending them directions on where to click to become members of AQ (which is free, so there really should be no objection), & wait to see if they at least do THAT much.
Re: Happy..........
Board: Knitters and the Fiber Arts
Reply to: #976063 by a knitwit
Jun 9, 2019 9:45am
Thread Board
I have 15 boxes of yarn. My daughter has forbidden me to buy any more until I use it all up.

(he-he-he. little does she know what happens when she is not with me....)
Re: Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Reply to: #976093 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 9, 2019 9:51am
Thread Board
Well I'm always here to read about Richard Dean Anderson ;)
Re: Visiting Savannah
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #975949 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Jun 9, 2019 10:07am
Thread Board
We were there last weekend and did get 12 boxes.

We did end up at the wrong Botanical Gardens and wondered why all the clues did not work!

The box that was supposed to be on a car wasn't because it had been pulled. Oh, the car wasn't was where it was supposed to be either. We stumbled upon it!
Reply to: #976106 by Early Risers
Jun 9, 2019 10:33am
Thread Board
When my cousins & I plant, we use the restriction that says the person searching for the clues must be a member of AQ. So none of our boxes would show for the particular boxers you're talking about.

Unfortunately, that also makes a box ineligible for a Blue Diamond. I certainly don't want to restrict most of my boxes, but my most valuable boxes I would like to restrict to AQ member only. However, those are the ones that I would also like to (possibly) be a Blue Diamond. Not that I live and die for Blue Diamonds, but I do like to see them occasionally.

I consider it to at least be doing the minimum to protect our boxes given that there ARE vandals out there.

Yes, there are eco-warriors out there. The saying is that, "The most ardent environmentalist is the one who already has his cabin in the woods." In the case of letterboxes (and geocaches) they don't want anything disturbing THEIR outdoor experience (even though these boxes are hidden), and knowing that there are things hidden in THEIR outdoors disturbs their experience.
Jun 9, 2019 10:37am
Thread Board
Are they asking for Word Of Mouth clues? They are a certain number of the boxes out there and I have no idea how small a fraction but I maintain a few boxes in that category. If someone has figured out that there is a WOM maybe in their area and they have figured out who to contact to get the clues then I go ahead and give them out.
Reply to: #976111 by PI Joe
Jun 9, 2019 10:51am
Thread Board
but I maintain a few boxes in that category

In that case, may I have your WOM clues.
🤠
Re: Richard Dean Anderson's Roles
Reply to: #976093 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 9, 2019 10:52am
Thread Board
Loved that episode of MacGyver. My daughter bought the whole series on DVD. I never got into Stargate but my husband watched it.
Re: Moving to Connecticut!
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #975607 by Dino Loves Deer
Jun 9, 2019 11:23am
Thread Board
I'm next door in Meriden where there's a box behind EVERY tree and EVERY rock. Not really, but that's the running gag. Hubbard Park is a good one to get lots of boxes at. Honest, there's just a fun group of people at various stages of letterboxing here in CT and Wallingford has lots of festivals, restaurants, etc. Welcome.
Reply to: #976112 by BinoBoxer
Jun 9, 2019 11:50am
Thread Board
In that case, may I have your WOM clues.

Sent via private message.
Reply to: #976110 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 9, 2019 11:59am
Thread Board
Unfortunately, that also makes a box ineligible for a Blue Diamond.

I don't think restrictions affect Blue Diamond eligibility, only Purple Diamond.