Jun 6, 2019 5:51pm
Thread Board
Hoorrraaayyyyyyy for Scouttrekkie !!!
Re: Anniversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #976013 by Cross Family
Jun 6, 2019 5:53pm
Thread Board
Gee whiz, some really nice people are having AQ-versaries :)
Re: Mastercarve lot on eBay
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #976008 by west dover quidditch team
Jun 6, 2019 5:54pm
Thread Board
I could see no dimensions on the ebay listing

4 X 6 X .75

Not my medium of choice, but thought there might be folks who might be interested.

Warrior Woman
just the ‘trying to be helpful’ messenger
Reply to: #976017 by Warrior Woman
Jun 6, 2019 6:38pm
Thread Board
That's a good size for folks who like to carve soft stuff then.
a word of warning ... its so soft its make pink stuff seem like white stuff.
Re: sojourn: winnie the pooh series
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #975942 by detective
Jun 6, 2019 7:48pm
Thread Board
Seems like there should be a way for hosts to add these directly to the event link just like event boxes and exchanges and PTs.

There is a "Traditional" Tracker for making a list of boxes or series.
Or, What I do, is list all day-only stamps under a single AQ number. They can have different clues in the cluebook and have different themes, but it makes logging so much easier!
Memorial letterbox
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Jun 6, 2019 8:29pm
Thread Board
So.... my daughter, who is in charge of all things legal and medical when and if I ever can’t, and I were discussing and clarifying such things today. One thing that want on the agenda but came up was the subject of memorials and final remains.

We agreed there would be cremation and maybe a tree or cactus planting depending on what state I’m in she suggested planting a letterbox near said tree or cactus and listing it as a memorial box and the logbooks (paper and online) would take the place of a service. She also asked that I post this as a question. Would you be weirded out to go find such a box.
Reply to: #976008 by west dover quidditch team
Jun 6, 2019 8:30pm
Thread Board
this is too small a surface for most of my carves

I wonder if the king of microcarves, Komodo Jazz, would be interested in your stash.

Warrior Woman
knows a guy
Re: Memorial letterbox
Reply to: #976020 by Baqash
Jun 6, 2019 8:39pm
Thread Board
I would not be weirded out to find such a box. In fact, several of the people I often box with have talked and we would like to figure out how to make our headstone a stamp. I think your idea is normal in comparison! :)
Jun 6, 2019 8:46pm
Thread Board
No, not weirded at all but I'm not looking forward to it. I kind of think of all your boxes as memorials to you.
Incidentally, Semicolon got a new knee two-weeks ago and she's berating herself for not being out and about like you said you were after your experience. I keep telling her that I don't remember you saying that --I thought you had to work at rehab for a couple of months, at least.
Reply to: #976022 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Jun 6, 2019 8:47pm
Thread Board
In a way the stamp would be the headstone since there wouldn’t be one otherwise
Reply to: #976023 by Wronghat
Jun 6, 2019 8:49pm
Thread Board
Yes I was doing knee rehab. Two weeks is a very short time. In fact I think I was still in the “just shoot me now” phase at two weeks. I was out recumbent cycling before hiking. But recumbent cycling isn’t weight bearing
Re: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, you have no idea how sorry I am
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #975975 by Grrly Girl
Jun 6, 2019 9:07pm
Thread Board
I have never understood gauging.
Reply to: #975988 by Maude
Jun 6, 2019 10:10pm
Thread Board
I used to love MasterCarve. What you *don't* want to use it for is any image with fine positive lines, because those are narrow pointed ridges on the stamp that easily get damaged with a material this soft. However, if your plan involves images with broad inked areas, this is the stuff for you!

Actually thinking about buying it. I would if I were doing more carving lately.
Reply to: #976026 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 7, 2019 3:01am
Thread Board
that and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaWPTWFtcM
at :09 she explains exactly why she looks like she does, fake dimples and all
Jun 7, 2019 4:11am
Thread Board
Weirded out? No. That sounds completely appropriate.
Jun 7, 2019 4:15am
Thread Board
Not weirded out at all. I think it’s pretty cool actually. People are getting more personal and creative like this in their memorials. I attended a memorial where a friends entire shell collection was on display. Upon leaving everyone chose one of the shells. The same thing happened 10 years ago with a rock collection so I have that also. Why not a box to visit? Pretty cool.
Jun 7, 2019 4:16am
Thread Board
Would you be weirded out to go find such a box.

Absolutely not. Would consider it a solemn duty to find said box if I was in the area and use that opportunity to pay respects to a friend.

Another boxer in Ohio who lost her husband has a letterbox located at his grave site. I found that quite the moving experience.

I've considered pretty much the same thing for me in the future just haven't planned it out in detail yet.
Jun 7, 2019 4:38am
Thread Board
Nope, not at all weirded out.
Reply to: #976029 by Grrly Girl
Jun 7, 2019 4:39am
Thread Board
We can assume I won't share this either. lol
Reply to: #976027 by Kirbert
Jun 7, 2019 4:41am
Thread Board
Even if it's never been opened it could still be dried out after all these years. I bought some of that polymer stuff in the store once and it was totally dried out in the package. It must have been there a long time.

I think everything has a shelf life.
Jun 7, 2019 5:00am
Thread Board
Now that I’ve thought about it a little longer...Go Big. How about a whole series of everything that was important to you. Some of your friends might even learn something new about you.
❤️
Letterboxing for Travelers Blog Post
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 7, 2019 6:07am
Thread Board
I have been trying to think of ways to spread the word about letterboxing in an attempt to get more people interested. Our family runs a travel blog, and I wrote a blog post the other day about letterboxing and how it could be good for folks who travel. If anybody here would like to take a look, here is the link. So far a few people seem truly interested. Feel free to leave any comments that might contribute. Thanks for looking!
Reply to: #976037 by BinoBoxer
Jun 7, 2019 6:12am
Thread Board
Now that I’ve thought about it a little longer...Go Big. How about a whole series of everything that was important to you. Some of your friends might even learn something new about you.

That might be stretching it to get a noxer to do. But not a bad idea
Cemetery Boxing
Jun 7, 2019 6:33am
Thread Board
My sister, Sepia Slipper, and I just got home from a wonderful four days of boxing exclusively in cemeteries in Columbus, Ohio. We visited five absolutely beautiful cemeteries, some which were very historic and we marveled over the variety of headstones, historic areas, military grounds and mausoleums that populated them. One cemetery had over a hundred boxes so we spent a day and a half there and never got all of them. I know that Spring Grove cemetery in Cincinnati has over 200 boxes but are there any other cemeteries in the eastern US that are home to boxes in quantity.
Re: Cemetery Boxing
Reply to: #976041 by Janila
Jun 7, 2019 7:01am
Thread Board
I love cemetery boxing but have only found maybe a 5-10 listed in areas near me (Charlotte, nc). I'll be watching this thread for ideas.
Re: Knees
Reply to: #976025 by Baqash
Jun 7, 2019 7:18am
Thread Board
Yes I was doing knee rehab. Two weeks is a very short time. In fact I think I was still in the “just shoot me now” phase at two weeks.

She's glad to hear she's not just a weak sister--you're her gold standard for how she ought to be progressing. Thanks for talking to her about it at the Arizona gathering.
Re: Moving to Connecticut!
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #975672 by Dino Loves Deer
Jun 7, 2019 7:31am
Thread Board
Hey there! I'm your neighbor in South Meriden! I have a box in my yard and a Hitch Hiker Hostel as well if you want to pick up a few hitch hikers to take with you. Just in case you were looking or a quick box on a yucky day!
Reply to: #976041 by Janila
Jun 7, 2019 7:50am
Thread Board
I'm jelly. You and your sister did what I have been wanting to do for years. I think I shall make a lone trip this fall before the snow falls.
Reply to: #976046 by airstream dreams
Jun 7, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
I think I shall make a lone trip this fall before the snow falls.

My original plan was to go alone but my sister happened to have the same time free so she went along. I have to admit that having another person to interpret the clues in a different way than I did proved to be extremely beneficial. There are a LOT of clues that very cleverly use plays on words and I probably would not have gotten a lot of the boxes that we did together if she hadn't looked at things differently.
Happy..........
Board: Knitters and the Fiber Arts
Jun 7, 2019 8:43am
Thread Board
National Knitting Day to all fellow knitting lb-ers!!!! psso2dk!!