A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Containers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #975483 by Compass Points
May 25, 2019 2:58pm
Thread Board
Welcome back! We recently returned, also, though we were only away from boxing for a few years.

Lock 'n Locks are not nearly as affordable as when the company sold them directly. We have been using these from Dollar Tree. So far they work well, yet it has been months. I can to say how they will do over the years.
Re: How do you follow a thread on the boards
Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?
Reply to: #975487 by crosscresent
May 25, 2019 3:08pm
Thread Board
I'm with you. I don't understand the boards anymore.

Me too. On the occasion that I try to view the entire thread, I click things until I see it then I don't know what I did to do it again. I just don't try to look at the entire thread anymore.
Re: PAL (International Plant a Letterbox) Day 2019
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #975419 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 3:09pm
Thread Board
planted a box in Missouri. wondering how often the widget updates so MO can be recognized for 2019. Thanks.
Re: How do you follow a thread on the boards
Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?
Reply to: #975489 by Oberon_Kenobi
May 25, 2019 4:43pm
Thread Board
I just don't try to look at the entire thread anymore.

You can do that, but if you want to see a thread and only that thread, click the thread button near the top right corner of the post. (It'll say "Read Thread" if you hover a mouse cursor over it.)

If it isn't there, it's because you're already viewing just the thread.

If you want to read the board and only that board, click the board icon instead of the thread icon.

It's really not hard....

-- Ryan
Reserved box listing vanished
May 25, 2019 5:16pm
Thread Board
I had a reserved box with the clues mostly complete, and I specifically remember hitting "save", but I can't find the reserved listing. I looked under my plants, type = reserved. Also checked under traditional plants in case it went live, but it's not there either. Do I need to start over? :( The name of the box is "Mattatuck Trail", and I hid it within the past week.
Re: Reserved box listing vanished
Reply to: #975492 by Trailhead Tessie
May 25, 2019 5:55pm
Thread Board
Do I need to start over?

Looks like it. I see no record of the box anywhere in the database. Sorry. =(

-- Ryan
PAL Widget error?
Board: Event News and Planning
May 25, 2019 7:09pm
Thread Board
Ryan:
Is the Widget counting boxes listed on May 25 but with plant dates of May 24th for PAL day totals? https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=305285 does not show and I see no restrictions on it.
Re: To what do you look for this summer?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #975479 by photopam
May 25, 2019 7:19pm
Thread Board
Ocean

That’s right, no boxing, only surfing.

Warrior Woman
mermaid
Re: PAL Widget error?
Reply to: #975495 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 7:49pm
Thread Board
I was wondering if having coordinates versus a specific written address makes a difference for the PAL widget listing? I planted three boxes yesterday, listed them today, and they have coordinates and are not showing on the PAL widget list. Thoughts?
Reply to: #975490 by aMAZEing adventure frog
May 25, 2019 8:02pm
Thread Board
wondering how often the widget updates so MO can be recognized for 2019.

It updates immediately. It wasn't being counted because you didn't follow the rules.

I went ahead and fixed the listing so it complies, but it won't count unless all of those rules pass.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975497 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:03pm
Thread Board
I bet you're right and the widget needs an address so it knows where to count the box.
Reply to: #975490 by aMAZEing adventure frog
May 25, 2019 8:06pm
Thread Board
So I can forewarn people next year, which rule did you violate?
Reply to: #975499 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 8:07pm
Thread Board
It is just ironic because coordinates are far more specific than an address is AND none of the three box locations will take an address (nor did they have cell service which prevented my listing them on 5/24).
Reply to: #975501 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:09pm
Thread Board
but they all have a state--that's what the widget needs to know. After the coordinates can you somehow stick in a state name. Hurry, only 4 hours left on the Pacific coast.
Reply to: #975502 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 8:16pm
Thread Board
Nope, won't let you add a state with the coordinates. Listing the closest reservoir (Hills Creek) is too far from most of them for my tastes. Coordinates are absolutely in the state of Oregon though, but hey, such is life.
Reply to: #975503 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 8:19pm
Thread Board
Still they should be counting as international mystery boxes! I don't see any mysteries this year and I know there were some in the past. Hmmm--no EEvil boxes--yet.
Reply to: #975503 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 9:08pm
Thread Board
How about Larison Creek Trailhead, Oregon?
Reply to: #975505 by Wronghat
May 25, 2019 9:11pm
Thread Board
That one worked....it is close enough to the box AND it added it to the widget :)
Reply to: #975501 by FORAYCH
May 25, 2019 11:50pm
Thread Board
It is just ironic because coordinates are far more specific than an address is AND none of the three box locations will take an address

AQ literally has absolutely no idea where the boundaries of states are. I could give you random coordinates around the world and you'd probably struggle to guess what country they were in without looking it up on the Internet! A coordinate is just a number to AQ with no inherit meaning except in comparison to other numbers.

Not to mention that all boxes have a coordinate assigned to them--including mystery boxes. A world-wide mystery, for instance, is assigned the coordinate 0,0. A US mystery is assigned the coordinate 39.4959, -98.9899 which happens to lie in Kansas... but the actual box probably isn't in Kansas.

So in a nutshell, coordinates by themselves aren't enough for AQ to know what state the letterbox is located in.

But it seems like you should be able to create a custom location if a specific location doesn't work on AQ. That's what custom locations are supposed to handle--when the geocoders can't otherwise figure out the location of where you hid a box.

You have to provide all of the information about the location, though, including the coordinates and geographical boundaries it lies within. The coordinates are used for distance searches while the geographical boundaries are used for area searches (which is what the PAL Day widget is running).

-- Ryan
Re: Reserved box listing vanished
Reply to: #975492 by Trailhead Tessie
May 26, 2019 12:00am
Thread Board
Don’tcha just hate that? Grr, I do.

And being so frustrated the last thing you will probably appreciate is well-meaning advise but...

When I’m doing long clues or reserve boxes I always compose them offline in a word program just to be safe, then copy and paste in. It’s an extra step, sure, but it’s dang near foolproof.

Hugs, 😄
Reply to: #975507 by Green Tortuga
May 26, 2019 3:58am
Thread Board
Ryan, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense the geographical decoders for coordinates versus addresses differ. Also, thank you for giving the boxes addresses!!!
I appreciate you and all you do to help this hobby be fun while educating about behind the scene coding when nuances like these occur.
Interestingly the three boxes planted were part of me trying tips you listed in your The Biggest Update You've Never Seen! Blog, specifically the Backcountry Water site. I have at various times tried untreated water from rivers, lakes, the ocean - via wave dunkings - throughout my life but, like so many, over-worried to the point of missing out on some good sources of clean water. Not this trip! I drank from two gushing mountain springs that were amazing!! 😀. I also avoided potential algae bloom lake water too! Great tips, keep them coming!

Jeff
Re: BoxON! 2019
Board: Province: Ontario
Reply to: #975486 by Fiddleheads
May 26, 2019 7:18am
Thread Board
Nice! VtV and I will have to plan a day trip to St. Thomas sometime.

Hmm... Very tempting.... I'll have to first see if I can rope VtV into helping, LOL. Maybe we could do Cambridge.
AQ-day
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
May 26, 2019 7:58am
Thread Board
Jlsd0218 happy 5th @ AQ!
Re: AQ-day
Reply to: #975511 by condo
May 26, 2019 10:25am
Thread Board
Special wishes for a special person on a special day! I hope that this next year brings good vibes to jlsd0218 and her family. Your events are ones that I eagerly look forward to attending.
PAL (International Plant a Letterbox) Day 2019 Postscript
May 26, 2019 10:52am
Board
Thanks to planters, including the usual suspects as well as some new participants, 106 new boxes are out in the world waiting to be found. Finland added to its treasure trove of boxes and now sits in 11th place internationally, far ahead of Sweden, Russia and any neighboring nation. Maine got the most new additions, the number of outliers in California quadrupled, and even New Mexico was twice-blessed. 364 days until the next PAL but don't wait--go ahead and plant letterboxes in those places that are meant to have them.

Happy Hunting
May 26, 2019 12:48pm
Thread Board
Yes! Happy AQ Day!
May 26, 2019 1:46pm
Thread Board
Happy Cake Day! Thanks for hosting such great events!
Geocaching Naked
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
May 26, 2019 2:00pm
Board
People have joked (I hope) about "Letterboxing naked day". Today I found out about Owasso Shalom Clothing Optional Cache through the Geocaching Vlogger. I did find some other videos of trips to this cache.

FYI: At least in these videos that I have posted there is nothing you won't see at any beach.
May 26, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ DAY!
Reply to: #975517 by aMAZEing adventure frog
May 26, 2019 5:03pm
Thread Board
You all are so awesome, and I can't wait to make more fun memories with you! Cheers to this awesome hobby!!!