A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Happy AQ anniversary
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #975143 by Grrly Girl
May 12, 2019 6:54am
Thread Board
Happy AQversary, Happy Mother's Day, Happy Daughter College Graduation. Holy Moly TAP is a busy lady this weekend. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Replanting an event stamp
Board: Logbook Logistics
May 12, 2019 7:05am
Thread Board
Any protocol about replanting a table top? I figured I'd keep the logbook and make sure local stampers that already got it at the event wouldnt mistake it for a new stamp. But I'm not sure I can keep the same registration number. Before I go changing things, is there a correct way?
Re: Replanting an event stamp
Reply to: #975161 by bigredroyaloak
May 12, 2019 7:54am
Thread Board
Good idea ~ get the stamp out for more finders! Do it like this, though, so future finders aren't confused about what kind of box it is.

Retire the event box listing, and edit the clue to say it's now planting in the wild. You can't change the type of box any other way.

Make a new listing for the new traditional box, and also mention in that clue that it's a former event stamp. That will give people who've already found it fair warning that they've seen it before. If you can alter the name of the box a little bit when you make the new listing, then no one will get them mixed up when they go to log a find.
May 12, 2019 8:48am
Thread Board
Just mention in the clue that the box was a former tabletop at such & such event. Then anyone who was at said event can decide whether or not to go after it. I think this is a great way to give a box additional life.
Re: LBNA down
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #975154 by Sagacorn
May 12, 2019 10:17am
Thread Board
Looks like it is down AGAIN.

Since it seems that LBNA is down quite a lot it would be nice if those that list on both sites would put the clues on both sites and not just a link from AQ to the LBNA site. Just a thought.
Re: Happy Mother's Day! ๐Ÿ’
Reply to: #975157 by RDHG
May 12, 2019 11:57am
Thread Board
And to you too!
Reply to: #975165 by Elle
May 12, 2019 12:14pm
Thread Board
Since it seems that LBNA is down quite a lot it would be nice if those that list on both sites would put the clues on both sites and not just a link from AQ to the LBNA site. Just a thought.

Nah, you can click the "view cache" button on AQ if LbNA is down and you'll see the clues fine. The problem with maintaining two separate sets of clues is that if you need to make a change, then you must remember to make the exact same change on two different websites. Besides, if a box is listed on LbNA and AQ, it's helpful if people log their finds on both websites. There are newer boxers who don't know AQ exists and only look at LbNA listings. Some of those listings are for boxes that appear to not have been found in many years, because finders logged their finds only on AQ. As a result, fewer people may wind up looking for that box thinking it's too old and is missing.
Re: Nipples
Reply to: #975149 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 12, 2019 2:05pm
Thread Board
Or a drink name?
Reply to: #975166 by TeachJR
May 12, 2019 2:55pm
Thread Board
Thank you!
May 12, 2019 3:35pm
Thread Board
Sometimes you can modify the stamp a little bit so that the planted stamp ends up a bit different than the table top stamp. For example, the table top stamp could have the name of the event across the bottom of the image, then for permanent planting this name could be sliced off. Or you could alter the image itself somehow.

I'd still mention the re-use in the clue listing, but an altered stamp would give finders an excuse to come find it again.
Road Trip
Board: State: Illinois
May 12, 2019 3:40pm
Board
Hello! Planning a summer road trip and will be spending a few days in Peoria IL. I'm looking for "the best", "must get" boxes in the area. My older dog is ambulatory, so trails need to be stroller friendly.

Thanks for suggestions.

PuggleMom
Road Trip
Board: State: Maine
May 12, 2019 3:44pm
Thread Board
Hello! Planning a summer road trip to Acadia and looking for suggestions of your favorite trail, box and maybe the best restaurant in Bar Harbor. We will be staying at Hadley Point, are there boxes in walking distance?

Thanks so much for suggestions.

PuggleMom
Reply to: #975154 by Sagacorn
May 12, 2019 3:48pm
Thread Board
It's up again....at least for the moment. Who knows how long that will last.

On a side note, I have found that the only way I can stay logged in is if I use Chrome. If I use Safari I get logged out if I do *anything* .....search, view clues.....anything. I have to use Chrome.
Re: Road Trip
Reply to: #975172 by PuggleMom
May 12, 2019 4:29pm
Thread Board
Best breakfast: Two Cats!
Reply to: #975167 by Trailhead Tessie
May 12, 2019 4:37pm
Thread Board
The problem with maintaining two separate sets of clues is that if you need to make a change, then you must remember to make the exact same change on two different websites.

Not necessarily true. If you list on LB and make the AQ listing dependent on LB then you need only change LB. Of course I don't know how this would be affected with LB being down so much.
Reply to: #975157 by RDHG
May 12, 2019 4:40pm
Thread Board
A very Happy Motherโ€™s Day to you also
Re: My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Board: Movie Moments
Reply to: #975158 by Scooters Mom
May 12, 2019 4:45pm
Thread Board
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I always enjoyed this movie as a young person. I have it set to DVR record and look forward to seeing it soon, again.
Reply to: #975175 by Sagacorn
May 12, 2019 6:00pm
Thread Board
Not necessarily true. If you list on LB and make the AQ listing dependent on LB then you need only change LB.

The original complaint was for people to not do that, because when LbNA was down then supposedly you couldn't see those clues when clicking from an AQ listing. They wanted planters to make two complete listings, one on AQ and another on LbNA, not dependent on each other. Personally, I now prefer to put my clues on AQ and have the LbNA listing link to the AQ page. And very often I don't even list on LbNA for the sole reason that I cannot place any restrictions on the box.
Reply to: #975083 by wassamatta u
May 12, 2019 9:08pm
Thread Board
So, are you using pasties to heal them?
Reply to: #975180 by AlishaMisha
May 12, 2019 11:44pm
Thread Board
So, are you using pasties to heal them?

Well, that was the plan. However, being that it happened in England, their definition of "pasties" was not the same. Hilarity ensued.
Reply to: #975181 by wassamatta u
May 13, 2019 3:58am
Thread Board
Just don't talk about your fanny pack.
Re: Happy AQ anniversary
Reply to: #975160 by BBStacker
May 13, 2019 4:02am
Thread Board
She was right, the pants were definitely not home! Thank you guys so much! These last 10 years have been so wonderful :)
Re: Road Trip
Reply to: #975174 by phynstar
May 13, 2019 5:09am
Thread Board
Two Cats absolutely. It is quaint, has outside tales if you want and a letterbox inside if you want that too. Maybe a bit of a wait depending what time you go but it has always been worth if for us.
Reply to: #975178 by Trailhead Tessie
May 13, 2019 7:05am
Thread Board
I rarely list a box on lbna anymore, but I still use it for clues and record finds listed there, itโ€™s just the maintaining clues on two sites including location and active status.
Reply to: #975181 by wassamatta u
May 13, 2019 7:49am
Thread Board
Oh dear. That's another image in my brain. British pasties on fleshy, flaming nipples. It just gets worse and worse. lol
Reply to: #975188 by MissMoon
May 13, 2019 7:55am
Thread Board
British pasties on fleshy, flaming nipples. It just gets worse and worse.

I never imagined that AQ would be so abused when I first created it. *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975189 by Green Tortuga
May 13, 2019 8:23am
Thread Board
I never imagined that AQ would be so abused when I first created it. *shaking head*

Thank god this hasn't progressed (digressed?) into Laminated Testicles.
Reply to: #975190 by Eidolon
May 13, 2019 9:30am
Thread Board
Do tell.
Re: Nipples.. with pictures
Reply to: #975140 by wassamatta u
May 13, 2019 10:00am
Thread Board
NSFMW (Not Safe for MY work... yours won't care)

The Big Reveal...

The Big Oops.
Re: Nipples.. with pictures
Reply to: #975192 by wassamatta u
May 13, 2019 11:42am
Thread Board
So like you're gonna make sure this is in your resume, right? I mean there's a chance you might not work for this company much longer....uh....I mean .....maybe not forever?.....right?