A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Clean up & retire missing boxes!
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #974566 by dingus dufus
Apr 25, 2019 11:38am
Thread Board
the find disappears from every letterboxer's find logbook who took the time to go look for it

I ASSumed that the box became an unlisted find! That's not the case? 🙀
Reply to: #974566 by dingus dufus
Apr 25, 2019 11:39am
Thread Board
From the "Delete Box" page on AQ:

Nobody will be able to record a find on your box after the fact.
Even if you relist the letterbox, the people who have recorded finds on it will not show as finders on the new listing.
All comments others have left on your box will be permanently deleted.

So it looks like finds before deletions are still in finder's logbooks. I think this is a (good) change from the past.

So now I say hey. it's your box . . . .
Reply to: #974560 by Grapenuts
Apr 25, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
But then you have to trust the reliability of the person who marks your box as "missing".

I weigh the searcher's report of where they went and what they did. Then I'll mark it unavailable until I check it myself or another reliable boxer gets there first.

But I was referring to the maintenance portion (broken boxes, logbook etc) of kind boxers.
Reply to: #974565 by Early Risers
Apr 25, 2019 12:22pm
Thread Board
But last year we had to give up on replacing damaged LnL containers. They've just become too expensive.

LnL's don't do well after a couple of years in the desert southwest so I've taken heed of Kirbert's advice and been using peanut butter jars. Not only is the cost manageable but there's the environmental factor of multiple use of plastic. No one has complained yet about my replacements even though they're not the most high-falutin of choices.
Re: I don't think it means what you think it means
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #396174 by Traveling Inky Pants
Apr 25, 2019 12:24pm
Thread Board
RATS !
I wanted to see it.
Reply to: #974536 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 25, 2019 1:01pm
Thread Board
I once tracked down a multi-stage geocache where one of the intermediate stages was a "bat box" on a fencepost that you had to reach your hand up inside and figure out the coordinates with your fingertips that had been carved into a board with a router.
Re: new letterboxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974556 by Janila
Apr 25, 2019 1:09pm
Thread Board
I just check LbGLK. It's actually relatively active.

2019 posts - Jan:87 Feb:96 Mar:78 Apr:78

I'm shocked.

TG
Reply to: #974575 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 25, 2019 1:19pm
Thread Board
In the Great Lakes group, we have a letterboxing bingo game that is run through the Yahoo group. So from December (sign up time) through April/May (end of the game), we have daily word posts, comments, puzzles, and so forth.
Reply to: #974572 by Wronghat
Apr 25, 2019 1:28pm
Thread Board
And now I insist we get a high-falutin' filter for searches. I jut realized I need that.

Wry Me
on this, the longest Thursday in the developed world
Re: Clean up missing/un-found letterboxes
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974551 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 1:29pm
Thread Board
Nuts. I forgot to cross-post.
Missing Stamp
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 25, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
Looking for help....
I received a comment today on one of my frog boxes that my stamp has been replaced with " Instead there is a rather seductive lady in a seashell called Shelley. Had a note in the logbook explaining it was part of Pinups exchange."

I don't know what an exchange is or how to look this up to find the person who might have exchanged my stamp. I would prefer to have my stamp returned to my box. Otherwise I will have to pull my box. Please help!

PuggleMom
Reply to: #974577 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 1:54pm
Thread Board
AND. . . I insist on equal representation in the box attributes for the enviable snow icon. I want a hell icon. For June 4th - Sept 28th in Texas.

Wry Me
6 minutes
Reply to: #974580 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:04pm
Thread Board
...and a monsoon icon.

because let's just say that even though i can't have monsoons, not having the proper weather, which is no one's fault, that I have the right to have monsoons.
Reply to: #974581 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
...and a monsoon icon.

because let's just say that even though i can't have monsoons, not having the proper weather, which is no one's fault, that I have the right to have monsoons.

and a haboob icon.
Re: Missing Stamp
Reply to: #974579 by PuggleMom
Apr 25, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board
Maybe a mistake of finding the Shelley pin up box (AQ 130315) in the same area and thinking it was your box?
Reply to: #974583 by cooledcoyote
Apr 25, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
I can’t access the clues for that box. If you forward them to me, I can compare locations.
Reply to: #974584 by PuggleMom
Apr 25, 2019 2:30pm
Thread Board
You have to belong to the pin ups group. I sent the clues in mail, box was planted in 2012
Re: I don't think it means what you think it means
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #974573 by Grrly Girl
Apr 25, 2019 2:32pm
Thread Board
Me too.
Reply to: #974581 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:36pm
Thread Board
...and a monsoon icon.

Can we have a Bear icon? Though I guess more folks are injured by Moose so how about a Boose?
Re: Happy Cake Day, Mouse Nanny!!!!
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #974554 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 25, 2019 2:58pm
Thread Board
Yay! Happy twelve years of "Tupperware" adventures! 😃
Reply to: #974585 by cooledcoyote
Apr 25, 2019 3:03pm
Thread Board
Thank you for the help. It looks like I accidentally placed my box too close to someone else and will need to remove it.
Reply to: #974584 by PuggleMom
Apr 25, 2019 3:20pm
Thread Board
clue sent
Reply to: #974558 by Grapenuts
Apr 25, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
There's no reason for this rude and pretentious remark from you. You're making this a hostile environment.

Good for you for planting hundreds of boxes that you can't maintain. I prefer fewer, quality plants that I can be sure are maintained to keep this a fun hobby for all.

So I guess the people who agreed with me ....???

I don't have "hundreds" of boxes. And feel free to check the comments on my boxes any time as to quality.

If you find me rude and pretentious I find you demanding.
RETIRE THEM!

And not very sympathetic to your fellow boxers.
Re: Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #974084 by RDHG
Apr 25, 2019 7:01pm
Thread Board
Thank you for your responses. I told her that the area is kind of scarce for letterboxers, so having a new player in the area could be a welcome thing. 😃
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974387 by dingus dufus
Apr 25, 2019 8:56pm
Thread Board
should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?

back in the day, and i guess there are still a few diehard purists out there, all letterboxes had a logbook or were not considered a letterbox. i can remember tearing pages out of my logbook simply so that i could stamp my signature and leave it in the box, joining all the other loose signature papers in there.

course back then there were very very few series. i believe i have a few series out there that have a logbook in every box. i could care less if everyone is stamped in. in fact it does seem rather redundant. but the truth is that i am too lazy, or too busy, to go remove them. to stamp or not to stamp........ what ever tickles your pleasure.

smile
Yahoo! Groups for Letterboxing?
Apr 25, 2019 8:58pm
Thread Board
Doing a search under the Yahoo groups here, are those groups still active? Most of the results say that most groups haven't been active in a number of years. Is there a particular group or groups you belong to or prefer?
Re: Yahoo! Groups for Letterboxing?
Reply to: #974594 by The Lost Boys
Apr 25, 2019 9:00pm
Thread Board
I had no idea that Yahoo Groups even still existed until someone mentioned them in another post. The only LB group that I belong to that is still active is LbGLK (Great Lakes).

TG
Reply to: #974576 by Angel Winks
Apr 25, 2019 9:01pm
Thread Board
Wow, I had no idea that bingo was still going on either. I won a couple of times one year, but didn't have a use for most of the prizes I received, so I didn't play again.

TG
Reply to: #974595 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 25, 2019 9:12pm
Thread Board
That's exactly why I was asking! I saw that post. So I figured I didn't want to miss out on anything. :)
Reply to: #974597 by The Lost Boys
Apr 25, 2019 9:16pm
Thread Board
I know there are clues to boxes hidden on some of the Yahoo boards.