Search

Read Messages

Re: Random Unlisted Box Found
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #974451 by MissMoon
Apr 22, 2019 7:28pm
Thread Board
I don't know what the deal is with that web site

Some history on letterboxingcentral.com...
https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?threadId=31966&startId=217376
Earth Day is every day
Board: Yakking It Up
Apr 22, 2019 7:47pm
Thread Board
You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make.”
—Jane Goodall
Re: IT'S HERE !...........IT'S FINALLY HERE !
Reply to: #974422 by Grrly Girl
Apr 22, 2019 8:15pm
Thread Board
Ummmm, thanks. I think.

Hmmmm. That's odd. I thought I was supposed to box that way every day...
Re: Earth Day is every day
Reply to: #974459 by 360 Degrees of Nowhere
Apr 22, 2019 10:24pm
Thread Board
You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make.”
—Jane Goodall

I know what you are meaning by posting that quote, but . . .

One cannot observe a system without affecting it. So if you observe the world, you affect the world.

I understand your response.
Reply to: #974451 by MissMoon
Apr 23, 2019 12:39am
Thread Board
http://www.letterboxingcentral.com/index.html
the website looks a lot like LbNA
a lot like they copied the format, not just similar

11 international dialing code is Argentina
nope, I won't be using it
Re: Looking for carved stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #974456 by Turtlegirl88
Apr 23, 2019 12:44am
Thread Board
Fair request, wrong board. You're looking for the Stamp Swap board:

https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?boardId=609&startId=971180

Theres also a Stamp Exchange:

https://www.atlasquest.com/toolbox/stampexchange/
Board: Random Acts of AQ Kindness
Reply to: #974457 by Turtlegirl88
Apr 23, 2019 3:07am
Thread Board
Probably want the stamp exchange board, but is there any theme??
Re: Best Brand of Logbook?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #974428 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 23, 2019 3:55am
Thread Board
Gargoyle Girl makes amazing logbooks. I have been using them for years. Paper quality makes for good images from stamps and she has a variety of choices for covers. I have been wicked lucky in that she has made some "tea" covers for my orders!

I reach her through etsy or facebook since she is quite busy and isn't on AQ every day like some of us.
Re: "Bopp"
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #974424 by Turtle Song
Apr 23, 2019 4:53am
Thread Board
I'm so sorry for your loss, Turtle Song. Your mother was an amazing role model and all-around kind person. I always looked forward to talking with her at the Susquehanna Sojourn. She will be greatly missed. Prayers for both you and your family.
Board: Random Acts of AQ Kindness
Reply to: #974464 by The Vs
Apr 23, 2019 4:58am
Thread Board
Thank you I will look for that. I was thinking a summer time theme or anything really. Thank you
14th Annual Plant a Letterbox Day (PAL)
Board: Event News and Planning
Apr 23, 2019 9:01am
Thread Board
The event is now up. I hope I'm not too late for the Finland boxers.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4176
Re: 14th Annual Plant a Letterbox Day (PAL)
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974468 by Wronghat
Apr 23, 2019 10:38am
Thread Board
Don't worry, in a country where it's daylight 24/7 there's no such thing as "too late" :D
Reply to: #974428 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 23, 2019 11:13am
Thread Board
I still have cards, years later, that I never got around to cutting out and gluing in a book.

Cutting out?
Re: Earth Day is every day
Reply to: #974461 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 23, 2019 1:45pm
Thread Board
One cannot observe a system without affecting it. So if you observe the world, you affect the world.

Only if they catch you.
Reply to: #974458 by wassamatta u
Apr 23, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
I do remember the original letterboxingcentral.com. It was still around as a place to post.....can't remember if they listed boxes......and I joined it. I remember having discussions with other boxers. This had to have been just before AQ?

Now that you referred to that message, I have a dim memory of seeing that here on AQ....the owner selling it, etc.

It seems to be just sitting there not doing any real harm as far as I can see. Unless you call one of those phone numbers. lol Their copyright...if that is real, ran out in 2017. But it's not a source of any boxes. :)
Re: Uncharted Lancaster
Board: Dutch Country Letterboxing Board
Reply to: #974453 by AstroBeast
Apr 23, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
Love that unchartered stuff. The weird NJ site has some cool places.
Are thes viable clues?
Board: State: South Carolina
Apr 23, 2019 3:16pm
Thread Board
I was doing some web surfing recently looking for possible sources of boxing clues other than the usual 2. I came across an article in a magazine called 'Pink'. I couldn't find a date for it's publication except on the bottom of page it said 2013.. The following clues were listed and I'm curious if they are still active.

++++Directions to the Famous Cross of Bluffton Letterbox:
Travel to the end of Calhoun Street in Bluffton, SC where you can find the most beautiful view of the sun setting over the May River. You gotta’ have “Faith” as you head ten paces towards the double doors. Turn your sights 90 degrees like you’re “Going Down to the River to Pray.” Proceed 33 paces. Where else would you find a treasure except hidden in a trunk?
+++++Directions to the Heart of Hilton Head Island Letterbox:
Start where you can go to watch a movie at Coligny Plaza on Hilton Head Island, SC. While you’re there, don’t forget to pick up a copy of Pink Magazine! Walk 6 paces and then head towards the ocean. Walk 50 paces to catch the New York Subway. When you exit the Subway, it’s about 10 paces across the bridge. Act like Captain Hook and keep hooking for about 18 paces. Stop just before the “Stairway to Heaven.” Instead, turn right and proceed about 6 paces until you find The Secret Garden. Sit down and take a load off. Don’t be afraid to get close to nature. Look around for something tall with a hole in it. All you have to do is reach for it.
Please vote for my 4-H daughter's piggy bank
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 23, 2019 3:20pm
Thread Board
My daughter is in 4H and every year they do a piggy bank competition. The way the online voting is set up, you can vote over and over and over. All day long. In 2 days, there are kids that have over 4,000 votes. If you happen to be bored and would like to see a young letterboxer win first place in a piggy bank competition, here's your chance :-) She is in the 6-8th grade division, and her name is Gwendolyn. There are two Plinko banks but hers is the one with thumbtacks flames painted on it. And thanks!!!!
-crosscresent

http://voteforthepig.tennessee.edu/
Re: Are these viable clues?
Reply to: #974474 by Sagacorn
Apr 23, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
I do not see either of them listed on AQ. I would also be curious to see if anybody knows.
Re: Please vote for my 4-H daughter's piggy bank
Reply to: #974475 by crosscresent
Apr 23, 2019 3:40pm
Thread Board
I voted for her. :)
Re: Are thes viable clues?
Apr 23, 2019 3:56pm
Thread Board
Apr 23, 2019 4:15pm
Thread Board
I'm curious if they are still active.

Active as in "not missing?" A lot of box listings on LbNA get archived or deleted when the box is still out there. So technically I guess they're not "active", but the clues are still viable. You may need to do some forensic boxing if the trail has changed, but that adds to the challenge and the reward.
Reply to: #974420 by The Lost Boys
Apr 23, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
I buy hot press art paper. It can be watercolor paper, mixed media paper, etc, as long as it's hot press, which has a smooth texture.

I use a cutter to cut the pages into ATC size -- 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. On ebay, I buy pages for ATCs (Artist Trading Cards), they're fairly cheap if you buy a pack of 100 pages at a time. The pages are like the same clear pages with slots that hold baseball cards. They're made to go in a 3-ring binder. Each page holds 9 cards if a body puts only 1 card per slot, or 18 if ya put 2.

I only put 1 per slot because I stamp the image on one side & put the info (planter, date found, location) on the other side.

I tend to lose things out in the woods, so I don't want to carry a logbook around with me.
Apr 23, 2019 5:55pm
Thread Board
http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=70188

I remembered to look in the basement and adoptable on lbna. Didn't see the other one there.
Reply to: #974475 by crosscresent
Apr 23, 2019 7:14pm
Thread Board
We voted a couple of times. How on Earth did those people get five or six thousand votes when most of the children have seven or eight votes??
Reply to: #974482 by RDHG
Apr 23, 2019 7:34pm
Thread Board
How on Earth did those people get five or six thousand votes when most of the children have seven or eight votes??

Russians!
Reply to: #974480 by Early Risers
Apr 23, 2019 10:06pm
Thread Board
What do you do for the larger stamps that are too big for an ATC?
Re: Today's Event
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #974417 by Munkeybee
Apr 23, 2019 10:53pm
Thread Board
Thank you! We did. In the end, I went to bed exhausted at about 7:10 PM. We look forward to Geekfest for some hunting. 👍
Reply to: #974484 by Dawgdok
Apr 23, 2019 10:58pm
Thread Board
What do you do for the larger stamps that are too big for an ATC?

I tuck those into either the front or back pockets that are on the inside of the cover of the 3-ring binder.

I have no idea how many of those there are in the country, but in my case, out of probably a little under 3000 finds, I have only maybe 2 or 3 dozen that are larger than the 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. Haven't seen a larger stamp in a few years. Used to cut & carry a few larger pieces of paper for larger stamps, but I don't even bother anymore.

Rec'd a Christmas postcard one year from Ryan (can't remember now what the reason was) & that too I just slipped into one of the binder pockets.

Baseball cards, magic cards, ATCs -- so much has shrunk to the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 over the years that those sleeves fit most cards.

I guess if I had enough of the larger stamps, I'd buy some of those pages of clear pockets that ya use in photo albums.
Reply to: #974486 by Early Risers
Apr 24, 2019 12:49am
Thread Board
...out of probably a little under 3000 finds, I have only maybe 2 or 3 dozen that are larger than the 2 1/2 in x 3 1/2 in. Haven't seen a larger stamp in a few years.

Interesting. I'd guess half of mine are bigger than that.