Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974368 by Honeychyck
Apr 20, 2019 12:35pm
Thread Board
No logbook? No problem, we're being bitten by mosquitoes / ticks are attacking us / the rain would have destroyed it / snow is COLD, anyway.

The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.
Re: searches
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #974351 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 20, 2019 1:00pm
Thread Board
If you have no need of all those other search parameters and filters why not just use “Simple Search”? Under the “Location-Based Search” tab type in your desired search area, select radius, check the “hide my finds box” and hit Search.

Because I would get literally hundreds and hundreds of boxes to sift through. There are so many boxes in Connecticut I usually need to do a keyword search for a specific park, name of a lake, road, etc. Usually that's all I want: Search by town, keyword, and don't show me my finds and plants or retired boxes. I have to use the Advanced Search to do the keyword search. But I'll often forget to scroll down to find the parameters to eliminate and then it shows me a bunch of retired boxes and boxes I've already found. So then I have to edit the search.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:11pm
Thread Board
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES... look under rocks, maybe there might be a box there... oh wait, Connecticut is that way...

lol, in reality you really can't do that in Connecticut because there are so many rocks. There may be a lot of boxes, but there are a zillion more places to hide them.
Reply to: #974372 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 20, 2019 1:18pm
Thread Board
Want to make boxing more fun, do it like in Dartmoor... NO CLUES

That's how I run my Letterboxers Egg Hunt every year. You have the option of going Dartmoor style with no clues at all, or you can have cryptic clues written by Not A Lone Wolf Anymore for help.

Warrior Woman
likes to keep it fun
Reply to: #974375 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 1:26pm
Thread Board
Well, some don't ~shrugs~
Reply to: #974363 by SherlockMiles
Apr 20, 2019 1:47pm
Thread Board
Yes I want to find the clues to all boxes in a specific area that have been found in the last two years.
Reply to: #974376 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 20, 2019 1:50pm
Thread Board
Usually that's all I want: Search by town, keyword, and don't show me my finds and plants or retired boxes.

When I do a Simple Search the retired boxes don't show up. You can set up your simple search to hide what you want ignored:

Select Preferences in the Dropdown under "My Page"
Then select:
Letterbox & Search
Search Preferences
Which options should Atlas Quest use by default on searches for traditional letterboxes.
Hide my plants
Hide my finds
Hide my attempts
Hide abandoned boxes
Hide strikeouts
Hide most ignored
Hide old last finds

Don't forget to SAVE after you're finished.
Reply to: #974347 by Green Tortuga
Apr 20, 2019 1:52pm
Thread Board
Thank you very much. I looked and looked for this page. I even went to preferences but didn't know to look at the top of the page to find what I wanted. Duh to me.
Apr 20, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board
The box should have a logbook anyway. If the finder doesn't wanna bother with stamping in for whatever reason, fine.

Not that there's any reason to care whether I like an idea or not but................I like this idea!
Reply to: #974361 by Rocklun
Apr 20, 2019 2:14pm
Thread Board
But, heck, thanks for letting me know that I'm a lazy cheap boxer because I deliberately chose not to put a logbook in a handful of my boxes.

Nono, you're only lazy & cheap on the days you plant boxes with no logbooks. Otherwise you're a workaholic spendthrift.
Apr 20, 2019 2:19pm
Thread Board
The box should have a logbook anyway

Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??
Reply to: #974385 by MissMoon
Apr 20, 2019 2:50pm
Thread Board
Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??

Even I'm willing to draw the line on that one. :) On the other hand, when boxing first came to Illinois, that was how it was done. Tho the most I remember in a series was 10 boxes. Logbook in every one.

GrayFamily5 again who made that series. And the last one in the series went missing pretty fast, so the penultimate logbook became the last. I'll be the first to admit that 10 (or even 9) logbooks in a loop got boring. Quickly. But I persevered! :)
Apr 20, 2019 3:16pm
Thread Board

It was suggested that boxes without logbooks be identified with an icon for the purists to avoid. Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?
Reply to: #974387 by dingus dufus
Apr 20, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
Best. Reply. Yet. 🤩😂
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 20, 2019 3:41pm
Thread Board
ALL of the stamps I found were store bought. very disappointing. My experience was that the clues were difficult to follow and boxes were often missing. I did charity walks, which seems to be the way you can get your 100 stamps to get "real" clues. I found many many other boxes, but had no idea what they were or where to log them or what they were called. It all felt chaotic to me. And don't get me started on those wild ponies! Be very careful opening a bag around them, they think FOOD and run straight at you!
Apr 20, 2019 3:44pm
Thread Board

I planted a 12-box series and put a logbook in all 12 boxes. At first I had only 2-4 out at a time, in a rotation. Now I have them all out, year round. I left all of the logbooks in all 12 boxes.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 20, 2019 3:47pm
Thread Board
I managed to get 78 new traditional boxes hidden before my busy season at work hit. I have about 4 others ready for hiding but one of my hiding places didn't pan out the way I hoped so I didn't leave it... and another I just need to go over there and hide it. I hoped to hit 100- oh well! I'm still personally impressed that I managed this many, and that so many others have hidden so many as well!

I don't mind chipping in $3. We drive (or fly!) all over the place for events and give donations to the hosts to cover their costs. This is basically the same- helping cover the costs for those who came up with this unique 'event' that inspired us all to hide more boxes for each other.

In the end I bet some people will be generous and help cover the costs for those choose not to. It always seems to work out in the end. I hope that you don't let a $3 donation (Whether or not you pay it) spoil the spirit of what has happened the past few months-- did you have fun carving? Planting? Getting extra reason to get out and DO it? Finding stamps hidden by others because of this challenge? Did you find a new trail because you were scouting a new place to plant, or because someone planted where you've never been? Because in the end, THAT is really what it was all about.
Apr 20, 2019 4:17pm
Thread Board

Now that I think about it, when I find a box without a logbook (and it's not part of a series), I tend to assume it used to have a logbook, but the logbook became soaked and was removed by someone. Happens all the time.
Reply to: #974391 by Munkeybee
Apr 20, 2019 4:29pm
Thread Board
Today I planted #8, 9, and 10. Woohooo!!! I made it. Did you see the 2 I dedicated to you? If not, check them out. You need to come back to Indian Trail and find them.
Reply to: #974394 by THE RED CYCLONE
Apr 20, 2019 5:37pm
Thread Board
Awww did you really?? I'll look those up! I'll have to head back out there! You're the sweetest, thank you!
Reply to: #974387 by dingus dufus
Apr 20, 2019 5:53pm
Thread Board
Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?

Good one.

Nah, I'll just stamp in the first, middle, and last. And the middle depends on how many boxes in the series. :)

Works for me.
Reply to: #974216 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 20, 2019 6:49pm
Thread Board
Damn. Pretty sure I've been in every Dead Horses thread since the dawn of time. Frankly, I thought it would happen sooner.
Granting immunity from restrictions...
Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?
Apr 20, 2019 7:39pm
Thread Board
I vaguely recall there is away to grant a specific boxer immunity from restrictions on either a specific box or all ones boxes... but I sure cant figure out how to do it. Anybody happen to know where to look or how to do it and have a moment to explain it?
Reply to: #974378 by Warrior Woman
Apr 20, 2019 9:12pm
Thread Board
I’ve done this with my indoor holiday events. Finding the boxes were so much more difficult and participants sometimes asked for clues. They have all been good sports and rewarded with top notch carves from around the country. In a nutshell, I create a room with a theme and cleverly hide the stamps. I say there are x number of stamps in there. Good luck!
Re: Granting immunity from restrictions...
Reply to: #974398 by Quarry
Apr 20, 2019 11:21pm
Thread Board
Any easy way to do it would be to remove them, let the boxer log the boxes in question and then re-instate them after.
Re: 2019 hallmark
Reply to: #974298 by SherlockMiles
Apr 21, 2019 3:07am
Thread Board
What a great gift that would make for a fellow letterboxer! Thanks for the heads up!
Wooden eggs
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 21, 2019 3:26am
Thread Board
There is going to be an Easter Egg hunt for adults for wooden artist decorated eggs in a large field that has sculptures in it. Wonder if I have a chance of finding any??
Re: Any Boxers Near Deerfield Beach?
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #974084 by RDHG
Apr 21, 2019 5:21am
Thread Board
How far are you from Vero Beach? Found three stamps there last weekend! All were great and in good shape!

BB
Reply to: #974400 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 21, 2019 6:21am
Thread Board
That would work.
It's not exactly as streamline as I would like.
The boxer who helped me understand how to work clues, protect boxes, and generally be a better boxer would ideally always be able to see my boxes, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have planted any boxes without his efforts to educate me.
Reply to: #974398 by Quarry
Apr 21, 2019 7:05am
Thread Board
I vaguely recall there is away to grant a specific boxer immunity from restrictions on either a specific box or all ones boxes

You can do this by making a specific boxer an "exception." On the Restrictions page for your box there's a field called Exceptions in the lower right.

Here's how you do it.