Apr 18, 2019 1:15pm
Thread Board
I'm so sorry for your loss! ((Hugs))
Re: 2019 hallmark
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974315 by Kirbert
Apr 18, 2019 1:28pm
Thread Board
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?

True story:
Martin Dies State Park had these really cool neon park shirts with a compass rose on them. Affixed to the back was a disclaimer warning purchasers not to use it for navigational purposes and that they would not be held liable for misuse, injury, etc. Hilarious.

So now, if you ask me which way is north, I can point to my chins.
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Apr 18, 2019 1:38pm
Thread Board
Why? Just Why?
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #974314 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 18, 2019 3:29pm
Thread Board
It is heartbreaking to see the logging operation going on along Mt Carmel Ave. The crossover trails won't have a tree on them at this rate.
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #974319 by DevilinDog
Apr 18, 2019 4:39pm
Thread Board
It is heartbreaking to see the logging operation going on along Mt Carmel Ave. The crossover trails won't have a tree on them at this rate.

Give it a few years. The open canopy will let more light in and hopefully the shrubs and saplings will be able to explode, if there aren't too many deer. After that, the forest will be a lot thicker and there will be more wildlife.
Reply to: #974298 by SherlockMiles
Apr 18, 2019 7:02pm
Thread Board
I gotta get that!!!
Reply to: #974315 by Kirbert
Apr 18, 2019 7:37pm
Thread Board
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?

As real and functioning as any.
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974180 by Wry Me
Apr 18, 2019 7:55pm
Thread Board
Now she doesn’t attend my events.

At least that you know of. Better go check those logbooks. ;)

Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks if she knows she is not welcome there. I've seen her do it and she told me exactly why.
Postage?
Board: LTC Collective
Apr 18, 2019 9:02pm
Thread Board
How many forever stamps are required these days to send a padded 4×9 mailer with 12 ltc's?
I've been using flat mailers, so I kinda lost track!
Re: Postage?
Reply to: #974324 by Gypsy Fiddler
Apr 18, 2019 9:50pm
Thread Board
The padded mailers are now considered "first class packages". You have to figure out the zone here:
https://postcalc.usps.com/DomesticZoneChart
and then the weight, to calculate the postage. Or take it to the post office. Not as simple as it used to be.
Re: Mystery carver. May be event soon
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974309 by detective
Apr 19, 2019 6:57am
Thread Board
I'd be happy to save that one for you. Where can I send it?
Reply to: #974325 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 19, 2019 7:50am
Thread Board
For my postals, I just use this USPS site, which automatically figures out the price (taking zone into consideration) after you fill in the zip, size/shape, "package" rate, and weight.

https://postcalc.usps.com/

And then, I go to my Paypal acct, which gives me a discounted price, and print out my label :)
Reply to: #974323 by RIclimber
Apr 19, 2019 10:04am
Thread Board
Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks

Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book. Therefore, neither of them actually exist, at least some of the time. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."
Reply to: #974330 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 12:47pm
Thread Board
Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book.

Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks? There have been stamps planted here for a few years now with no logbooks. Should they be removed from atlasquest since they can't be a "real find"? :)
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 1:31pm
Thread Board
My thoughts too. I mean, I plant sometimes without logbooks. A magnet LB here, a vacation plant there, etc.

To my knowledge the logbook requirement is geocaching-only as the cache swag is not the cache, but the logbook is. And with LB, the bare minimum is a stamp, so I imagine as long as you have it in your own logbook then you are golden. (special exceptions for loss, fire, etc. of course)
Reply to: #974328 by JampersandJ
Apr 19, 2019 1:58pm
Thread Board
thank you!
Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974219 by wassamatta u
Apr 19, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
In a nutshell....

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/04/19/ed-sheeran-game-of-thrones-still-alive-despite-injuries/

lol

Oh....it's not about him.....that would be bad....so very bad. Bad.
Reply to: #974332 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 3:53pm
Thread Board
Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks?

Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.
Kirbert's Dandy Work Review
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Apr 19, 2019 4:01pm
Thread Board
;-)

Hey. So I posted a video of me carving with Kirbert's miniature gouge on the Stamp Carver's Facebook page. But if you don't have Facebook, I also posted a video on my Etsy shop. If you scroll down to the bottom of my shop page you will see a video of me using his miniature gouge and by extension you see my Etsy Shop :-) ...hand trick I did there huh?!

Artsdelight.etsy.com

And if you haven't join the stamp carver's page on Facebook you can find us at...ready for it...Stamp Carvers.
Reply to: #974336 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 4:54pm
Thread Board
Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.

No, I wasn't being serious. Just doin' some wishful thinking. :) That if they disappeared from atlasquest, folks might stop planting them. One of the things that the 4 of us really likes is looking thru the logbooks.

If the clues say there's no logbook, we almost always take a pass on finding the box. But that's just us. Not saying anyone else should think like that. But the idea seems to be spreading in Illinois, & we would love to see it not become more popular. That's all. Viewing the finds online just ain't the same.
Reply to: #974328 by JampersandJ
Apr 19, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
Tell me more about postage via PayPal
Re: Mystery carver. May be event soon
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974327 by Witch Kittin
Apr 19, 2019 5:13pm
Thread Board
I'd be happy to purchase the elephant with the trunk raised upward. Will also cover postage.

Thank you.
Reply to: #974338 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 6:35pm
Thread Board
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.
Reply to: #974341 by Wry Me
Apr 19, 2019 7:12pm
Thread Board
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.

That is indeed the best logbook ever. Love it! Reminds me of some of the thru-hiking journals we've read in our AT younger days. My cousins & I have planted a lot of boxes using LbNA thru the years, & have always been happy when we've retired the boxes & been able to retrieve the logbooks to keep.

GrayFamily5 was only active for a year or 2 in northern Illinois about 10 years ago or so, but they planted a box (long gone now) in Batavia in honor of school teachers, asking finders to write a memory in the logbook about their favorite teacher. When we were in the area, we would try to drop by just to read what new memories had been written. It was cool. For Illinois, that was the Best Logbook Ever. :)
Reply to: #974342 by Early Risers
Apr 19, 2019 7:41pm
Thread Board
That is so awesome!

...and I think I need to steal that idea. Especially since I'm a teacher. AND two of my students are now letterboxing. I also think hiking the AT sounds awesome. AT least while I'm still on the couch.
Friday funny
Board: Yakking It Up
Apr 19, 2019 10:21pm
Thread Board
Why can’t you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?

The “P” is silent.

😄
searches
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Apr 20, 2019 12:21am
Thread Board
I would like to search for boxes that have been found within the last 2 years. Is there anyway to do that?
Reply to: #974338 by Early Risers
Apr 20, 2019 12:55am
Thread Board
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not.
Re: searches
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #974345 by Chickadee
Apr 20, 2019 1:37am
Thread Board
I would like to search for boxes that have been found within the last 2 years. Is there anyway to do that?

Yes.

Go to your Letterbox and Search preferences and set your "old last find" setting to 24 (it's in months).

If you want all of your default searches to only include boxes that have been found in the past 2 years, also select the option to "hide old last finds" on that same page. If you don't want that by default, leave it blank.

From the Advanced Search page, you can override the default and manually turn on (or off) the "old last find" option. (It's in the "Other Options" category.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974346 by Kirbert
Apr 20, 2019 1:39am
Thread Board
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not.

OKaaaay. :) And what do we do with the lazy cheap boxer who makes a "magnet" box just BECAUSE they won't have to 1. buy a logbook; 2. bother being sure they have a waterproof container to protect said logbook; 3. bother finding a location suitable to having a logbook.

Now, there may be parts of the country soooo jammed with boxes that there's just noooo other place any longer to hide a box except on the underside of a metal mailbox that can't even contain a tiny logbook. Even Dr. Phil, bad as he is most of the time (maybe even all of the time), could ably shoot down the various excuses that lazy cheap boxers tend to come up with.

At least the boxers who just blatantly put the stamps out there, not bothering with any excuses, are honest. They're cheap, they're lazy, it's what they wanna do, and thaaaaat's all folks. No excuses. I commend 'em on their honesty. :)

Growing up, I had a next-door neighbor who kicked their kids out of the house the day they turned 18. No excuses. No money. Just pack your bags, you're an adult now, you're outta here. These single stamps, out in the wild all by their poor lonesomes, no companion logbooks for support, remind me of those neighbors.