Search

Read Messages

Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #974276 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

Judging from pervious discussions, lot of us are waiting to hear about this.
Mystery carver. May be event soon
Board: Event News and Planning
Apr 17, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
Someone posted on Facebook that there were a lot of hand-carved stamps at SCRAP in Portland. I went and looked at the box of stamps. There were a LOT of stamps there, most of which were carved on either erasers or that hard white stuff. I stamped them into a book, and have been asking various people if they recognize any of them. So far, only a couple of people have come forward, but they weren't sure if the stamp was a missing letterbox or not. SCRAP has been paid around $400 for the bin of stamps, so they are good. ..... I'm still asking around, but if nobody recognizes any of these, I'm thinking of having a "Non-event Event" where the stamps will be up for sale at around $1 a piece to recoup some of the money I gave SCRAP. There are a lot of potential series boxes, some beautiful carves, some not so pretty, some out of this world spectacular. .... I was thinking sometime around July would be good. What does everyone think? Is there an interest in this?

The pictures of the mystery stamps are in this album:
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4773

If you recognize any of these as a possible missing letterbox, please let me know!

Thanks
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974277 by Trishee
Apr 17, 2019 6:08pm
Thread Board
I took that to mean he had no experience to offer up.

Pretty much, yeah. Plus it was my lame attempt at humor. 😄

~DarkZen, friend & supporter of LGBTQ, noodle lover, (Back Side of) Middle-Aged Middle-Class Straight White Male (BSoMAMCSWM) who is also the father of a lesbian daughter with whom I have a wonderful relationship.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 7:14pm
Thread Board
I was there this past summer and looked up letterbox hybrids on geocaching.com. I was out in the country and with people who weren't going to drive far just for me to find a letterbox. It was the one way I found to easily locate possible letterboxes near where we were staying. It's not the solution for everyone, but it increased the possible boxes I could look for. I ended up finding two listed on Atlasquest and one geocache hybrid.
Re: Mystery carver. May be event soon
Reply to: #974290 by Witch Kittin
Apr 17, 2019 8:29pm
Thread Board
Pictures of the mystery stamps are in this album:

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4773
Reply to: #974293 by Witch Kittin
Apr 18, 2019 1:24am
Thread Board
The spiral staircase is well done. Oh, I like the furniture a lot. Bigfoot is neat. I see the potential for an Egyptian series. If I were in your area, I would definitely be interested in your event.
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 18, 2019 1:27am
Thread Board
we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....

That could very well be true.... We almost never followed any clues. We just scavenged around looking in likely locations so if a box was missing, we didn't know it. We weren't following clues!

But in sheer quantities, the tors near parking areas we had a lot more success in our hunts. Not all of them.... but as a general rule of thumb.

It's probably like boxing in the United States. Most of the boxes are located near parking lots and easy-to-get-to locations, but they're also the ones most likely to go missing the quickest.

-- Ryan
Apr 18, 2019 1:31am
Thread Board
Someone could get creative with the trees and branches. The Christmas words would be great for a Christmas event. There are so many animals. Oh, I hope that this event happens because these should go out into the wild.

It was.kind of you to rescue all of those stamps!
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 18, 2019 4:01am
Thread Board
Luminaries with electric tealights.
2019 hallmark
Apr 18, 2019 4:28am
Thread Board
Check out this very letterbox appropriate 2019 hallmark keepsake ornament!
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=146790
Re: 2019 hallmark
Reply to: #974298 by SherlockMiles
Apr 18, 2019 5:46am
Thread Board
I would agree with you! Thank you for sharing that.
a little cartoon for a dreary Thursday
Board: Yakking It Up
Apr 18, 2019 6:12am
Board
Larry Lizard
Apr 18, 2019 6:29am
Thread Board
I’m sad to report that after a long and happy life of eleven years (110 lizard years) Larry Lizard has left his literary home at Nanini Library into permanent rest. His demise was likely the unfortunate result of a guest skimmer helping with shelf cleanup. While his loss is unfortunate he gave much pleasure to staff and visitors alike during his tenure. His loss is doubly unfortunate as he was my first. You always remember your first.

The staff understands that Larry himself can never be replaced but anxiously requested to be allowed to care for a new adoptee.
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #970307 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 18, 2019 6:46am
Thread Board
There is a June 1st Trails Day Hike at Sleeping Giant, I have Fridays off so I hope to spend a big part of the day there on May 31st.
Re: "All About Duxbury" Intro to Letterboxing Event!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #974278 by RubyReads
Apr 18, 2019 7:11am
Thread Board
Super excited! It's going to be a fun event.
The Rhode Island Egg Hunt is going on the same weekend, but it'll be both Saturday and Sunday, so we get to do both!
Re: Larry Lizard
Reply to: #974301 by Baqash
Apr 18, 2019 8:13am
Thread Board
Condolences.
Apr 18, 2019 8:15am
Thread Board
I might actually have to get that one. Nice.
Apr 18, 2019 8:21am
Thread Board
For some reason my slideshow won't work on this album. Hmmm.
Re: Ragged mountain
Reply to: #974202 by mattyfungos
Apr 18, 2019 8:37am
Thread Board
Let me see if I have an old map. Stay tuned!
Reply to: #974302 by cooledcoyote
Apr 18, 2019 8:47am
Thread Board
Is there a definite opening date for the park? Just because there is a Trails Day hike there doesn't necessarily mean the park will be open to the general public yet. I heard they were trying to be open by Memorial Day, but they were also trying to be open last fall. An authorized, guided hike might be allowed even when the park is still closed.
Reply to: #974290 by Witch Kittin
Apr 18, 2019 9:15am
Thread Board
Thanks for saving these. What a mystery! Somebody was super busy and then to just leave them? Maybe they were donated from an estate. Anyway, I don't live anywhere near you so I couldn't come to an event but if its virtual can I "reserve" the Homo Habilis?? I'm an archaeologist so that stamp is right up my alley! If not, I'd still be happy to buy some. I'm not likely to host an even but I could plant a series.
Reply to: #974307 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 18, 2019 9:52am
Thread Board
Rats! I can't seem to find my old maps. They must still be in storage. I will be moving again into my permanent house in late June. If you can wait until I find them, let me know.

BB
Reply to: #974308 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 18, 2019 10:00am
Thread Board
My sister has been helping with the clean up. It still sounds like there is a lot to get done. She expressed concern over the proposed memorial weekend openeing.
Reply to: #974308 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 18, 2019 10:30am
Thread Board
All I see is there is a hike planned, hopefully it is fully open by then.
Reply to: #974307 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 18, 2019 10:31am
Thread Board
I texted an old map with outdated blazes, he’s all set.
Reply to: #974311 by SherlockMiles
Apr 18, 2019 12:04pm
Thread Board
My sister has been helping with the clean up.

Please tell your sister "thank you!"

Seems like there are two different issues with the opening. One is the picnic area and the new landscaping/seeding, and it would be very bad to have people walking all over that before it's fully established.

The other is the risk of someone getting hurt on a trail that isn't cleared, especially if crews are in there chainsawing. I can attest that people are pretty stupid when our volunteers are using power equipment. We'll have signs up telling people to stop and ask permission before proceeding but they will still walk directly under a leaning tree that someone is sawing.
Apr 18, 2019 12:51pm
Thread Board
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?
Re: Larry Lizard
Reply to: #974301 by Baqash
Apr 18, 2019 1:15pm
Thread Board
I'm so sorry for your loss! ((Hugs))
Reply to: #974315 by Kirbert
Apr 18, 2019 1:28pm
Thread Board
Do you suppose that is a real functioning compass?

True story:
Martin Dies State Park had these really cool neon park shirts with a compass rose on them. Affixed to the back was a disclaimer warning purchasers not to use it for navigational purposes and that they would not be held liable for misuse, injury, etc. Hilarious.

So now, if you ask me which way is north, I can point to my chins.
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Apr 18, 2019 1:38pm
Thread Board
Why? Just Why?