Search

Read Messages

Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #974268 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
yes it is still happening.
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
I'll get around to fixing the other pages... eventually. =)

Done!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974269 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:15am
Thread Board
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

I'm still having trouble reproducing the problem. What kind of device are you using and exactly what version of Chrome are you using? (I'm currently testing with version 73.0 and it seems to work fine.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974271 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:26am
Thread Board
my device is a desktop. have not tried it on my laptop or phone. i can do that tomorrow and see if problem is same.

version 73.0.3683.103 (official build) (64-bit)

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974270 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:27am
Thread Board
Yay! Thanks, you da man.
Reply to: #974272 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:35am
Thread Board
I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like you're describing my own system and I still can't recreate the problem that you're describing. You're sure you hit the "update page" button after changing to the single-column page layout?

-- Ryan
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974267 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 17, 2019 8:51am
Thread Board
Others get the "Prize" of more boxes to find. I get the "Prize" of 100+ more boxes to maintain. I'm not in it for the "Prize" - I just want to beat PiggyJaunt!!
Reply to: #974274 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 9:17am
Thread Board
oh geezum!
has that button always been there and i just never saw it?
worked like a charm!
and here i made you work this morning for my dumbness. :(

on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

smile
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974197 by Raven
Apr 17, 2019 9:31am
Thread Board
no real business being in this thread

I took that to mean he had no experience to offer up.

And now that I think about it, I, too, am overdue for some spaetzle.

Trishee, friend & supporter of LGBTQ; noodle lover
"All About Duxbury" Intro to Letterboxing Event!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Apr 17, 2019 10:30am
Thread Board
Mark your calendars! Even if you are a seasoned letterboxer, swing by Duxbury on Saturday, April 27 and snag a few boxes at my event. If you feel like it, you can head to Plymouth afterward where there are more to find. All the details are here: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4167

Please message me with questions. Thanks, hope to see you!
Reply to: #974277 by Trishee
Apr 17, 2019 10:33am
Thread Board
no real business being in this thread

I am in that most eevil of categories, the "Middle-Aged Middle-Class Straight White Male" (MAMCSWM). However, don't tell my lesbian daughter how eevil I am; she still kinda likes me. Maybe I should offer her some spaetzle, to soften the blow?
All About Duxbury (MA) Intro to Letterboxing Event!
Board: Region: Northeast
Apr 17, 2019 10:34am
Board
Mark your calendars! Even if you are a seasoned letterboxer, swing by Duxbury, MA on Saturday, April 27 and snag a few boxes at my event. If you feel like it, you can head to Plymouth afterward where there are more to find. All the details are here: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4167

Please message me with questions. Thanks, hope to see you!
Reply to: #974279 by wassamatta u
Apr 17, 2019 11:23am
Thread Board
Wassa I think she’ll love you no matter how MAMCSWM you get. We can’t choose how we’re born. But the excess Eevil? You should find an outlet for that.

Not too much Spaetzl though. That will soften everything up.

Trishee - MAMCSWF
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 11:54am
Thread Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 12:17pm
Thread Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?

I just went to LbNA and entered England in the search box.
Lots of stuff appeared.
You can probably narrow it a bit by using London, England.

Let's hear from those who have been there and might know of other places to check.
Reply to: #974279 by wassamatta u
Apr 17, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
Has anyone ever noticed that Wassa pops up in all sorts of different locations? Just amazing!!

I would love to try spaetzle...
Apr 17, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board

Dartmoor Bounders used to have a site that listed a lot of them. It has gone offline but you can still see the old clues here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121026230114/http://www.ian.kirkpatrick2.btinternet.co.uk/page1.htm
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974258 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes.

That was not our experience.....we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....I found the most at the out-of-the-way Tors. I'd thought the reason was because more people went after the close-in Tors.

custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps?

This could easily have been correct.....the custom made were very detailed without any ragged edges so I might have mistaken them as store bought.

The two families we boxed with didn't seem to care what the stamp was as long as they found the box (which immediately endeared them to me). They were very kind about the hand-carved stamps we hid, however.
Reply to: #974283 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Thread Board
I will be in London the end of August to leave on a cruise from Dover and would be very interested if anyone has success in London.
Thanks
Reply to: #974146 by Mizscarlet
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Thread Board
I found the register number from the original planting in 2004 here.

Is it still on the register? Thanks for looking!

WW
Reply to: #974276 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

Judging from pervious discussions, lot of us are waiting to hear about this.
Mystery carver. May be event soon
Board: Event News and Planning
Apr 17, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
Someone posted on Facebook that there were a lot of hand-carved stamps at SCRAP in Portland. I went and looked at the box of stamps. There were a LOT of stamps there, most of which were carved on either erasers or that hard white stuff. I stamped them into a book, and have been asking various people if they recognize any of them. So far, only a couple of people have come forward, but they weren't sure if the stamp was a missing letterbox or not. SCRAP has been paid around $400 for the bin of stamps, so they are good. ..... I'm still asking around, but if nobody recognizes any of these, I'm thinking of having a "Non-event Event" where the stamps will be up for sale at around $1 a piece to recoup some of the money I gave SCRAP. There are a lot of potential series boxes, some beautiful carves, some not so pretty, some out of this world spectacular. .... I was thinking sometime around July would be good. What does everyone think? Is there an interest in this?

The pictures of the mystery stamps are in this album:
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4773

If you recognize any of these as a possible missing letterbox, please let me know!

Thanks
Reply to: #974277 by Trishee
Apr 17, 2019 6:08pm
Thread Board
I took that to mean he had no experience to offer up.

Pretty much, yeah. Plus it was my lame attempt at humor. 😄

~DarkZen, friend & supporter of LGBTQ, noodle lover, (Back Side of) Middle-Aged Middle-Class Straight White Male (BSoMAMCSWM) who is also the father of a lesbian daughter with whom I have a wonderful relationship.
Apr 17, 2019 7:14pm
Thread Board
I was there this past summer and looked up letterbox hybrids on geocaching.com. I was out in the country and with people who weren't going to drive far just for me to find a letterbox. It was the one way I found to easily locate possible letterboxes near where we were staying. It's not the solution for everyone, but it increased the possible boxes I could look for. I ended up finding two listed on Atlasquest and one geocache hybrid.
Re: Mystery carver. May be event soon
Reply to: #974290 by Witch Kittin
Apr 17, 2019 8:29pm
Thread Board
Pictures of the mystery stamps are in this album:

https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4773
Reply to: #974293 by Witch Kittin
Apr 18, 2019 1:24am
Thread Board
The spiral staircase is well done. Oh, I like the furniture a lot. Bigfoot is neat. I see the potential for an Egyptian series. If I were in your area, I would definitely be interested in your event.
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974286 by Public Hand
Apr 18, 2019 1:27am
Thread Board
we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....

That could very well be true.... We almost never followed any clues. We just scavenged around looking in likely locations so if a box was missing, we didn't know it. We weren't following clues!

But in sheer quantities, the tors near parking areas we had a lot more success in our hunts. Not all of them.... but as a general rule of thumb.

It's probably like boxing in the United States. Most of the boxes are located near parking lots and easy-to-get-to locations, but they're also the ones most likely to go missing the quickest.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974293 by Witch Kittin
Apr 18, 2019 1:31am
Thread Board
Someone could get creative with the trees and branches. The Christmas words would be great for a Christmas event. There are so many animals. Oh, I hope that this event happens because these should go out into the wild.

It was.kind of you to rescue all of those stamps!
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 18, 2019 4:01am
Thread Board
Luminaries with electric tealights.
2019 hallmark
Apr 18, 2019 4:28am
Thread Board
Check out this very letterbox appropriate 2019 hallmark keepsake ornament!
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?photoId=146790